Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2022, 17:47   #46
BHPian

Rocky Ridge Cafe

Rains have slowed down rides a bit as I am not very comfortable riding in rains giving me some time to update some previous rides. Few rides I have been going back to the same place again and again !! Quick weekends rides.

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img_20220313_07511602.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img_20220313_08014201.jpg

Rocky Ridge Cafe has two approaches. The straight forward one which goes past the TVS factory in TN and the other through the forest. My recommendation will be to go through the straight forward route onwards, enjoy the nice breakfast and then head back in the scenic route. Most mobile connections do not work there and hence there is a Jio powered hotspot there which the host is willing to share along with a bar code on the walls which once scanned lets you download the scenic route.

This place is a very peaceful once with wonderful hosts serving some amazing breakfast. It's advised to call them before you go there as they prepare by the numbers to avoid wastage. This place has small rustic cottages as well. If I am not wrong, there is a camping zone as well which you can use to pitch your own tents.

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img_20220313_06354601.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img_20220313_06475601.jpg

This time the ride was with another set of friends with an eclectic set of rides.

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img_20220313_08030201.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img_20220313_07504401.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img_20220313_08092001.jpg

We met the team from Risa Astronomy who had hosted a bunch camped overnight to observe the galaxy through a humongous telescope which fills in a car. The pics he showed was mind blowing. This is off season but I sure will catch up in the next season to observe these beauties. They host it in Coorg too in places away from light pollution.

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img_20220313_08035801.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img20220313wa002101.jpg

And not to miss, some yummy home made breakfast. The omelettes are amazing there.

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img_20220313_08433601.jpg
abhisheksircar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 11:42   #47
BHPian

Re: 2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review

Hi Abhishek - That is a great write-up of a fantastic motorbike. I am seriously considering an upgrade from my Duke 390. While I love CBR650R, at its current price point I can even buy a Triumph Speed Twin 900/ T100 as my better half also wants to accompany me on long rides. I would like to get some more insights from you on pillion comfort on CBR650R. Also, I am 5'6 (168 cm) - I was very comfortable on Triumph (ride height/ ergonomics) as I could get a feel of the bike during test ride. However, no test ride bikes are available for CBR650R, so unable to judge whether it will be comfortable given my height. Appreciate if you could help out here.
anuragbagur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 18:33   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragbagur View Post
However, no test ride bikes are available for CBR650R, so unable to judge whether it will be comfortable given my height. Appreciate if you could help out here.
Thanks Anurag. Height will not be an issue at all. Coming to the Triumphs, ergonomically I would think they are more suitable for pillions but that said, the CBR 650R is not as daunting as a regular sports bike. It's is quite comfortable. Test ride will be the best way out to figure it out. Let's connect !!
Old 5th September 2022, 21:45   #49
BHPian

One Year - Repsol Edition

The bike completes one year and it has not clocked as much yet. It's done just about 5200 km. I ride only over the weekends or some tours. Weekends are going on but tours have been limited. Eyeing Pondicherry and Goa, hopefully soon.

I'll update about the ride and the first service in my next post but in short, it's a fantastic bike that makes me smile every time I hop on.

This post is about celebrating One Year with a new set off clothes. My R3 had the Yamaha Movistar livery (Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review) and hence to keep it a no brainer, I chose the Repsol edition livery for the Honda CBR 650R. While browsing I came across this very well done render by a known figure in the automotive industry, Julak Sendie.

https://julaksendiedesign.wordpress....epsol-edition/

Now that the design was in place, it was time to go back to the same brothers, Ashaab and Araash who own WrapCraft in Bangalore to do the magic. Dropped the bike at their place, they sounded quite confident and then started the wait.

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img20220818wa00072.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img20220818wa00082.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img20220818wa00172.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img20220831wa00262.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-img20220827wa0015122.jpg

They kept sending me pics of the progress but there was one factor we did not expect. Non stop rains. The high humidity and rains did not let them be satisfied with their work as they know they could do better but overall I feel for a handcrafted wrap, they did a pretty good job. They have given a 1 year warranty, as before, for any issues as such. Let's hope nothing dramatic happens. This whole wrap was done on the existing paint, decal and ppf so that I could go back to the stock setup whenever I wished to.

After quite a few days of wait, giving up on the sun to shine through, I finally took the bike and I was quite happy with the final outcome, considering that I gave them just an image to work from. They did their minor modifications to the theme based on what could look good. I was advised to not paint the alloys orange as removing the wrap is not a big deal but removing the orange color from the alloys would be a major drama if I ever decide. Kept it black, for now.

And finally, the complete livery.

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-20220905_142733.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-20220905_142743.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-20220905_142950.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-20220905_142933.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-20220905_143404.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-20220905_142155.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-20220905_142002.jpg

It surely stands out now although the Red was a looker too but it was the first year so thought of a new look.

A short video |

And next, my experience of the first year, insurance renewal, few accessories and the first service.

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2022 at 09:14. Reason: As requested
abhisheksircar is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 22:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

They've done a great job at it. Your bike looks unique and Uber cool.

Enjoy the bike for years to come and have wonderful safe rides with it. Wishing you many more thousand miles with this mean machine
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 15:33   #51
BHPian

Beautiful. Congrats on completing an year with the 650. Our Repsol's should go for an outing soon
Xaos636 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 15:49   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Beautiful. Congrats on completing an year with the 650. Our Repsol's should go for an outing soon
Your Fireblade is the real deal !! Let's ride someday.

Last edited by abhisheksircar : 6th September 2022 at 15:52.
abhisheksircar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 14:28   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful, very well done. I have been contemplating to wrap my bike as well, the wrap style guys I feel are overchargin for the work.

Can you please DM me how much did wrapcraft guys charge and I might just leave my bike with them instead.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 13:38   #54

Looks beautiful, Abhishek!! Would love to see it someday, and discuss about it too, even if the post details everything
vvaibhav10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 17:52   #55
BHPian

Year One saw continued Covid lock downs, the end of lock downs, things getting back to normal, offices resuming, floods in Bangalore making news and that one thing that kept me in the same relaxed temperament was this bike. Mission Accomplished !!

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-coverimg.jpg

One year back when I got determined to get back to riding, I was thinking of various meditations online to stay calm and handle the changes one has to face in these recent years, every now and then. Nothing like being inside the helmet for hours listening to the sound of an in-line-4. 5200 kms and still enjoying every km on this.

The Honda CBR 650R is turning out to be a very good choice of bike as a middle weight even though it has a relatively steep price tag. I might have enjoyed the Ninja 1000 SX a well as the other choice. So what's it like after 1 year.

What do I like after a year

The Engine and handling surely tops the list. Extremely smooth. The braking is another thing that I love in this bike. Precise. I also love the way the power bands are distributed and how sane and composed this bike is, making you feel very confident and connected. Typical Japanese bike characteristics. The rider sitting stance is quite decent. Not too committed, nor upright for sure. I have just gone for one short tour of around 1200+ kms, to and fro and it's been quite okay. It's nowhere close to a Goldwing comfort level but it can match up to any good sports tourer. CB vs CBR, if upright stance is not a necessity, I would always recommend the CBR over the CB. It helps quite a bit in higher speeds. This is vouched by a CB owner too who rode my bike. The headlights are good, if not great. Some CBR owners rely on Aux light setups for long tours. Mileage, although not a topic of discussion, has been a surprising 22 km/ltr. Perfect for a weekend ride with a 15 ltr tank. Pillion comfort is quite good in this one if one can handle the posture. The seat is quite wide and comfortable.

What do I not like after a year

It's been a year and about 5200 kms and I am still not very used to the switch controls. I struggle when I do not want to. At this price point, I still wish it had some good riding modes. Quick shifter and an Akra should have been a stock setup. No other issues worth mentioning out there.

Accessories

The ones I recommend

- Evotech Radiator Guard
- Evotech Front Fork Crash Bobbins
- Evotech Engine Guard
- PUIG Shorty Levers (Much more easier to handle compared to the stock long ones)
- PUIG Spools
- PUIG Front mudguard extender
- Honda Quick Shifter
- Akra Exhaust (This is absolutely amazing. Let's you really hear the In-line-4)
- Phone Mount
- Extended USB Charger

The ones which did not make any or much of a difference

- PUIG rear mudguard extender
- PUIG bar-end weights
- Hepco Side Stand Extender (This came off and I do not have it now)
- BMC Stock Air Filter (This could be in the recommend list for peace of mind of just washing one away if it gets dirty but that's more like it)

The "want" ones

- PPF on painted surface (This was not needed considering the wrap, but wrap was an after thought)
- Ceramic coating on non painted surface
- Wrap
- Evotech Tail Tidy (This looks good but creates a MESS on rainy days)
- Rear Seat Cowl

I always think, this is the last I am spending on the bike but I end up with something or the other. A good set of tyres is next on the line, when needed. I could go for some sticky ones as the mileage I clock in a year is not too much.

Now for the Services

First Free Service : Rs. 3341/-
Second Free Service : Rs. 3010/- (Did not need chain lubing. Got it done at home)
Third Free Service : Rs. 3695/- (Engine Oil cost has gone up by few hundreds)

Name:  3Service.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  187.5 KB

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-engineoil.jpg

There is one service center in Bangalore that is authorized to service a 650R and that's about 52 kms away if I take the good roads around but nothing to complain here. I enjoy the ride to the location and I am happy that at least there is one service center in the city. Service experience has been quite seamless. The most complicated task has probably been cleaning the air filter in regular services and installing an Akra otherwise. The pricing has been quite reasonable. The cost of the Engine oil has gone up by few hundreds, else rest of it is more or less the same. I have completed the free services and it will be interesting to see how it goes from here on.

Before I end, a quick look at the BMC air filter after a year. Dirty and then washed off.

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-bmcdirty.jpg

2021 Honda CBR 650R | Ownership Review-bmcclean.jpg

One year completion also calls for the renewal of Insurance and RSA (Road Side Assistance)

When we buy this bike, the insurance available is 5 years Third Party and 1 year comprehensive. Hence, it's recommended to renew comprehensive every year. I had reached out to the Insurance agent linked to the dealer as their association helps but the agent was quite unavailable and what he quoted was an IDV which was a lakh lesser and priced at around 4k more than what ICICI Lombard personals from their call center provided. I still would have preferred the dealer associated one for ease of claims and all but he was just not available and my insurance expiry was fast approaching. So finally I ended up with an IDV of 8.47 Lakhs with a premium of 20,576 INR with ICICI Lombard employees directly. This includes Zero Dep, Return to Invoice and RSA.

Next is RSA from Honda. Road side assistance is another one of those things which you would wish you would not use, but it's good to have it. The revised RSA that includes something called Unlimited RSA is what I opted for which allows towing from anywhere in India, unlimited kms. This costed Rs. 7,999/-. Mentioned below is what you get for Unlimited RSA.

Unlimited RSA

• Minor Mechanical or electrical breakdowns – In case your vehicle suffers a mechanical or electrical breakdown causing sudden
stoppage, suitable support shall be provided on the spot to mobilize the vehicle. This service covers minor adjustments and
repairs which do not need change of any spare parts.
• In case vehicle needs replacement of spares cost of such spares has to be paid in cash by you, on the spot.
• Major breakdown or accident – In the unfortunate event of a major breakdown or accident where the vehicle cannot be
mobilized on the spot, we shall arrange to transfer or tow the vehicle to nearest authorized HMSI workshop. In case of the
covered towing distance exceeds (300 Kms for motorcycles beyond the capacity of 250CC and 50 Kms for capacity less than or
equal to 250CC) additional cost of Rs.30/km will be levied. While the aforesaid condition will not be applicable for the Unlimited
KMS RSA Package.
Note: Interstate charges and toll-charges as well as all other government taxes shall be borne by customer directly on the spot.
• Puncture / Flat tyre – In case of a punctured or flat tyre the service shall enable you to get the puncture repaired at the nearest
puncture repair shop. In such a case you shall have to directly bear the expenses of such repairs and we shall not be
responsible for its workmanship.
• Running out of fuel – In case the vehicle which is <= 250 CC runs out of fuel you shall be provided with 1L of fuel enabling you
to reach the nearest petrol station. However, Fuel charges shall be applicable at actuals and has to be paid beforehand. For
vehicles > 250 CC 5L shall be provided free of cost once in a year only.
Note: This service is applicable within a radius of 50 km from nearest HMSI workshop, or any other city in India covered under
this program.
• Taxi Assistance – For premium motorcycles i.e., vehicles > 250 CC free taxi up to 50km shall be provided once in a year
provided the vehicle is towed by us due to breakdown and if you wish to travel to the nearest HMSI dealership or place of your
convenience. In case you wish to use taxi beyond 50Kms then the same can be done by paying directly to the service provider
the prevailing charges

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2022 at 11:25. Reason: As requested
abhisheksircar is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 11:37   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
Now for the Services

First Free Service : Rs. 3341/-
Second Free Service : Rs. 3010/- (Did not need chain lubing. Got it done at home)
Third Free Service : Rs. 3695/- (Engine Oil cost has gone up by few hundreds)

Attachment 2357939
What is your experience with this oil? I have been looking for an alternative engine oil for my R3, apart from usual Motul 7100.
Old 15th September 2022, 12:08   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
What is your experience with this oil? I have been looking for an alternative engine oil for my R3, apart from usual Motul 7100.
Nothing much to speak about this one and it's doing it's job well. No issues as such. Engine itself is very smooth.

I used to love the 7100 for my R3 and I think it's good to continue with it. 300v or something was also there, cant recollect clearly, but that was more recommended if you are hitting the tracks or very hard on riding.
abhisheksircar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 00:16   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Year One saw continued Covid lock downs, the end of lock downs, things getting back to normal, offices resuming, floods in Bangalore making news and that one thing that kept me in the same relaxed temperament was this bike. Mission Accomplished !!

Attachment 2357955
This is one fab looking motorcycle Abhishek, just happened to see the thread now Congratulations! How do you manage to avoid the cops in Bangalore? This is something which I have always feared and kept me away from wraps/paintjob. Did you re-register the new color?

Quote:
Accessories

The ones I recommend

- Evotech Radiator Guard
- Evotech Front Fork Crash Bobbins
- Evotech Engine Guard
- PUIG Shorty Levers (Much more easier to handle compared to the stock long ones)
- PUIG Spools
- PUIG Front mudguard extender
- Honda Quick Shifter
- Akra Exhaust (This is absolutely amazing. Let's you really hear the In-line-4)
- Phone Mount
- Extended USB Charger
Where did you get the Shorty levers installed? The authorized service center guy at Mysore road told me not to get it done for my 650F as it will impact the life of the clutchplate.
Would also help if you can share where did you source the Ackra Exhaust from and how much vitamin M is needed for it
Jesse_Mach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 08:23   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Mach View Post
How do you manage to avoid the cops in Bangalore? This is something which I have always feared and kept me away from wraps/paintjob. Did you re-register the new color?
I rarely ride in Bangalore. Most of the times it's breakfast rides outside Bangalore or longer rides outside Karnataka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Mach View Post
Where did you get the Shorty levers installed? The authorized service center guy at Mysore road told me not to get it done for my 650F as it will impact the life of the clutchplate.
Would also help if you can share where did you source the Ackra Exhaust from and how much vitamin M is needed for it
Shorty levers were installed in GGMC (Gear Gear Motorcycle) just under BikenBiker. I bought the shorty levers from BikenBiker store.The mech is right that it could effect the life of the clutch plate but the difference it makes is something I am living with.

Coming to Akra, it goes around the 1.2 Lakhs range in various places that it's available in India. I picked it up and got it installed from Bigwing.
abhisheksircar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks