Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:34   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rip-off Alert! BMW Motorrad Bangalore (Tusker Motorrad) cuts Rs 50,000 as cancellation fee on a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Since, this is a BS 4 model sold in Nov 2020 it definitely falls under used bike category as it is definitely registered with the RTO.
Point. I had to hunt where you spotted the BS4 information and finally saw in the receipt. Eagle eyes!

In that case, this is only a used bike sale, not just a demo bike as mentioned originally. Even the "booking" formality is uncalled for, and customer should be given his money back if he decided to back out.

Kind of shocked to still see BS4 bikes being sold from showrooms, demo or used or otherwise. Hadn't even considered that possibility.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd September 2021 at 16:36.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:47   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rip-off Alert! BMW Motorrad Bangalore (Tusker Motorrad) cuts Rs 50,000 as cancellation fee on a

Quote:
Since, this is a BS 4 model sold in Nov 2020 it definitely falls under used bike category as it is definitely registered with the RTO. I am not sure if this particular bike has been on the showroom floor all the time but a person who buys a registered bike even with 0 kms, will always be the second owner on paper.
Nailed it, at least if the customer is reading this thread, thanks to you he would know how to counter that particular claim. I don't think BMW has any setup like how Ducati has a pre approved setup for selling pre owned bikes, and so they will not have any term and conditions/SOP setup for such a sale. In that case it is more of a one on one sale and in that case no way can dealer keep 50% of advance amount.
AtheK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:48   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Kind of shocked to still see BS4 bikes being sold from showrooms, demo or used or otherwise. Hadn't even considered that possibility.
I think that aspect is completely fine. It was BS4 and registered to a first owner (the dealer) when it was legal to do so. The first owner is the showroom with the purpose being demo.

A sale of a duly registered demo bike is like any other second sale to my mind. Nothing whatsoever wrong with that. It’s registered with a 15 year road legal certificate and entitled to secondary sales.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:49   #19
Team-BHP Support

It's wrong to deduct this advance unless there is a specific written agreement between the customer and the dealership. There must be a form that has to be filled that mentions this clearly and in case the customer has not signed, it will be unlawful too. Further, as pointed, this policy of deduction may not be even valid on old bikes.

Pretty cheap on the part of BMW Dealership to ask 1 lac for something that's sitting with them for over a Year.
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
50,000/- is the standard deduction if you cancel a BMW Motorrad motorcycle. While I too personally feel it is very much on the higher side, it is the standard for everyone.

based on two factors - 1. It was a demo bike and 2. That it was cancelled within just 24 hours.
Thanks for the heads up, let's see what the OP has to say on whether he was informed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The question is back on the OP on what document / agreement was the deal (& initial booking) based on.
Agreed, that's what we have to wait for.

Quote:
But then they also mention a booking amount of 3 lacs, whereas they took only 1 lac for this demo GSA 1250. Also, the voucher issued by them for the 1 lac received has no mention about cancellation charges if any.
Good point, since the booking amount is lower so the 50k cancellation charge also shouldn't hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
/OT
BMW showroom is anything but premium.

Coming to topic, sujai brings a new angle to the entire story. Since this is a demo bike and not a customer bike maybe same conditions apply. That said 50K cancellation is off the roof either way. Hopefully he gets his money back.

Ya a proof needs to be shown by the customer now. Sorry state of affair.
Thanks for the info, never imagined that would be the case.

We're looking at following points :
1. The general behaviour of the dealership.
2. Whether the cancellation charge was clearly mentioned to the OP.
3. The amount, 50k cancellation charge.
4. Whether the cancellation charge applies in this case of a demo bike, like others have rightly pointed.

For 3, I think that's unacceptable, not sure what the intent of such a ridiculous cancellation charge is. Showrooms are supposed to be welcoming and easy to work with this feels like getting fined for an offense, which it clearly isn't.
For 4, I don't think it should hold since the booking amount was 1/3rd of that of a new bike the 50k charge doesn't hold.

For 1 and 2 we wil wait for the OP to clarify.
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 17:48   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Govind drops an email.

Quote:
Hi,

I can see comments about people saying demo bike is not a used bike and it will be unregistered, but this bike was registered. Just sharing a snap from the time I went for a test-ride.
Rip-off Alert! BMW Motorrad Bangalore (Tusker Motorrad) cuts Rs 50,000 as cancellation fee on a demo-fotor_160425309686897.jpg

Also, the 50000 (ridiculous) cancellation fee this dealership has is for new bikes with a 3-lakh deposit. This was a 1-lakh deposit, hence the standard (lame) terms of this dealership don't apply anyway.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2021 at 17:50.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 18:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

BMW: If you deposit 3L we will only deduct 15%. If you deposit 1L we will deduct 50%. Pay more so the loss feels light.
amol4184 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 19:41   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Pretty cheap on the part of BMW Dealership to ask 1 lac for something that's sitting with them for over a Year.
It's quite the same in Pune as well with Bavaria. The Cancellation fee isn't enough, you have

- a non-negotiable - you can complain to BMW - handling charge
- Insurance to be taken from them, if not "we can't guarantee smooth claims" (verbatim - their Service head)
- 2% fee on credit card payments

Doesn't quite look like BMW takes customer experience seriously; their post-sales / service feedback email is the silliest ever! Just one question if you'd recommend BMW to friends / family.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:10   #24
BHPian

I got charged for handling charges on my BMW 310GS booking in BMW Motorrad Chennai - The scale is small but the ordeal is similar - BMW and their personnel just turned a deaf ear to all my shouting about this is illegal. I was told that I was free to go to court but they will not deliver the bike without getting the handling charges.

Apologies for going off topic, but both instances point out that BMW Motorrad does not look to be customer centric. I have already stopped depending on them for services and not even considering them for my next bike.
sudharshan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:10   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Doesn't quite look like BMW takes customer experience seriously; their post-sales / service feedback email is the silliest ever! Just one question if you'd recommend BMW to friends / family.
Frankly, attitude of Motorrad team is entirely different from their Car division. Maybe, they don't earn enough and try to find ways to add profits. Their warranty claims are a pain and now this.

There was a time when, their India head, a German was a biker himself. He was so prompt and would have taken this dealership to the task, but now, Motorrad runs differently. Even my Bikes battery claim was not approved citing non-usage. I sold my GSA as it was a tad larger for me and despite loving the GS to core, I am not sure, if I will part my money with Motorrad.

Usually, escalation to Motorrad India doesn't help either, maybe their whole team at the top needs a quick course in customer satisfaction. I continue to recommend and buy BMW cars over other brands as I am mostly satisfied with their dealers and whenever there's a need the company guys stand behind. But won't consider a Motorrad.

Due to the current Covid conditions, interactions with top management are limited unlike past but will still pass the link of this thread to the seniors.
Turbanator is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, the 50000 (ridiculous) cancellation fee this dealership has is for new bikes with a 3-lakh deposit. This was a 1-lakh deposit, hence the standard (lame) terms of this dealership don't apply anyway.
Main question which the OP hasn't answered is did he sign the booking form? If so the form clearly says Rs. 50,000 is the cancellation fee. I specifically cut this line out on the form while booking my bike before paying them anything.

While we can all agree that the amount is a bit absurd in any case, if the poster signed and accepted the terms then I don't think his complaining is justified. If not then he should really take some action on the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
It's quite the same in Pune as well with Bavaria.

BMW India seems to be the root cause of all the issues with its dealers. Appears like they have no interest in the customer experience. As long as bikes are selling no problem, if there is any issue they wash their hands off to the dealership.

While I haven't had any bad experiences with Tusker. The only legitimately good BMW dealership I've dealt with in India has been Krishna BMW in Chandigarh - they did a great job, prepping and servicing both my Dad's and my bike before and after our Spiti / Leh trip.
VellVector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:19   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- 50% cancellation charge for a pre-owned demo bike of theirs? I find this infuriating.

- 50% cancellation charge for a change of heart in 12 hours? Not like they had to specially call in for a bike and be stuck with it.
The matter needs to be taken up with BMW India for their intervention to help get refund of the amount.

After giving BMW one to two months if nothing works, he needs to send a lawyers notice to the party to pay back the amount with penal interest from the date of deduction within 15 days. This will not ruffle feathers at the dealership.

Next as the third step, the matter needs to be agitated in a consumer court for payment of the cancellation amount, penal interest till date of repayment and a hefty compensation for the disturbed state of mind and agony created.

He must talk to a good lawyer and go for immediate media publicity to put facts straight, before filing the petition. Post petition filing, the matter will become sub judice.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd September 2021 at 20:22.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whether the terms and conditions (for new bikes) are considered ridiculous or lame, they are laid down clearly. The customer is aware or is deemed to be aware of the fine print in the document. The moment an advance is paid the customer is deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions. It’s clear, if somebody doesn’t read it properly it’s their problem. No argument needs to be accepted by the dealer as ignorance is no excuse by law.

The dealership is not naive or stupid to think anybody is going to accept the fifty thousand cancellation fee (in this case) if its not documented. Perhaps, I say again, maybe, there is a separate document which is used for the sale of demo bikes which mentions this fifty thousand cancellation charge after the advance is paid. Maybe inadvertently Govind signed some paper which mentions this clause or it’s in the fine print of some document which was given to him. It would be wise to go through all the documentation in his possession first. Then check with the dealership on what basis are they deducting fifty thousand as cancellation. Listen to them, maybe they will show him the document which shows that. If so, case closed or it will show the way forward.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:57   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Frankly, attitude of Motorrad team is entirely different from their Car division.
Bavaria ensures consistency between car/motorcycle division - equally indifferent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
BMW India seems to be the root cause of all the issues with its dealers. Appears like they have no interest in the customer experience. As long as bikes are selling no problem, if there is any issue they wash their hands off to the dealership.
Absolutely. The elder GSs have made a good name for themselves and the price cut (although with two hikes) on the BS6 310 twins made them very popular, with large waiting periods.

Hope the OP can settle at a reasonable cancellation fee, if not entirely waived.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd September 2021 at 20:58.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 21:38   #30
BHPian

Can someone explain the buying process of a bike that is already on the shop floor? Why is there a need to book? If I have the money, can I pay the money and ride out of the showroom with a temporary registration? Who owns these process bottlenecks? The dealer or the RTO? What does a dealer need to do after the booking?

Sorry, I have not bought a bike in India in the last 25 years. In the US, I write them a personal check, show them my ID, and I am on my way with the bike in 1 hour. The registration plate, documents and such arrive by postal mail in a month from the DMV.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks