Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2023, 14:21   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Hi Kosjam, I heard the sales guy say there's a new version of the 850gs with more standard features like tpms, bigger windscreen and foot pegs. There's a new colour too and a price increase of 60k. If you haven't taken delivery of yours yet , i suggest you enquire about upgrading to the newer spec. From what I heard these are already being delivered to customers.
Hi Nitro

The new model has been introduced in Jan 2023, called the Trophy edition. In my opinion, the colour scheme is inferior to the original 2022 edition, but there was never really a choice in colour options.
My booking is slated for delivery in May 2023. The booking is for the new model only. Will confirm regarding the added features. Thanks for the update.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 00:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
Hi Nitro

The new model has been introduced in Jan 2023, called the Trophy edition. In my opinion, the colour scheme is inferior to the original 2022 edition, but there was never really a choice in colour options.
My booking is slated for delivery in May 2023. The booking is for the new model only. Will confirm regarding the added features. Thanks for the update.
I was at my dealer (in the US) to pickup a spare/emergency key yesterday, and I looked at the new GS trophy bikes. (850 and 1250). It seems like a fine color scheme to me, with the blue seats and gold rims. Color scheme apart it does come with really nice options packages. The ones I saw had the options picked by the dealer. Comfort package, Touring package, Dynamic package, lights package, with off road tires - and still $5k less than GSA. If one wants all of this, its a mighty good buy.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 14:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I was at my dealer (in the US) to pickup a spare/emergency key yesterday, and I looked at the new GS trophy bikes. (850 and 1250). It seems like a fine color scheme to me, with the blue seats and gold rims. Color scheme apart it does come with really nice options packages. The ones I saw had the options picked by the dealer. Comfort package, Touring package, Dynamic package, lights package, with off road tires - and still $5k less than GSA. If one wants all of this, its a mighty good buy.
If you saw the gold rims then it was probably the rallye colour scheme. The trophy edition that is available in India (only 1 colour available in the GS, GSA has 2 colours if I remember correctly)
The rallye colour scheme really pops and the blue is a lighter shade than the trophy edition with its black rims.
Old 7th April 2023, 23:21   #34

Quote:
My booking is slated for delivery in May 2023.
Hi kosjam, when did you make your booking? Also, what's the status update that you now have from the dealer?
Old 8th April 2023, 14:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jishnu7 View Post
Hi kosjam, when did you make your booking? Also, what's the status update that you now have from the dealer?
Yes booking done in Jan/Feb 2023. I was informed that the bike will be available for PDI by April End and once that is completed by me, and payment is done, bike will be mine within 7 days.

Have you booked as well?
Old 10th April 2023, 19:32   #36

Quote:
Have you booked as well?
I'm confused. My local dealer neither have 850GS / GSA for test drive, nor for display.
At the same time, Ducati dealer has Multistrada V2S ready stock and for test drive. I did try and the bike is impressive.

Now I'm confused whether to stretch my budget and get V2S or book and wait for 850GS.
Old 11th April 2023, 00:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jishnu7 View Post
I'm confused. My local dealer neither have 850GS / GSA for test drive, nor for display.
At the same time, Ducati dealer has Multistrada V2S ready stock and for test drive. I did try and the bike is impressive.

Now I'm confused whether to stretch my budget and get V2S or book and wait for 850GS.
Well, even in Mumbai, the multistrada is ready delivery, i took a test drive of the v4 and the monster v2. Loved both, but took a decision to go with BMW simply because being a desmodromic engine, it has heavy maintenance costs just 30,000 km into the run. I tend to run my bikes long and hard, so I decided to go for the relatively cheaper BMW. Apart from the fact that I prefer the BMWs looks over the gaudy (in my opinion) look of the multi.

Even in Mumbai there is no test drive available for the GS twins. They do have it on display where they let you sit and get a feel but thats it. I went to Pune where they have the GS850 available for test drive. You may have to go elsewhere to get test drives too. But just keep in mind, that they bring in limited number of bikes per year, just to avoid having to give discounts later in the year. So if you are serious about it, you can get a (fully refundable) booking done and ask some known person who has bought the BMW, to give you a test drive. I did this to rule out the GSA (It was too top heavy and tall for me)

Hope this helps.
kosjam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 07:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Well, even in Mumbai, the multistrada is ready delivery, i took a test drive of the v4 and the monster v2. Loved both, but took a decision to go with BMW simply because being a desmodromic engine,
Minor corrections - V4 Multi engine does not have desmodromic valves. They have convention valve springs. Also, the valve clearance service is at 60,000 km interval.

https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/bikes/m...multistrada-v4
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 08:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Minor corrections - V4 Multi engine does not have desmodromic valves. They have convention valve springs. Also, the valve clearance service is at 60,000 km interval.

https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/bikes/m...multistrada-v4
My bad. I meant to say I was looking to buy the Multi V2, which has the desmo engine. The showroom only had the Multi V4 on test drive. So I test drove the Multi V4 to get a feel of the bike and the monster for a feel of the engine.
kosjam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 10:46   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, even in Mumbai, the multistrada is ready delivery, I took a test drive of the v4 and the monster v2. Loved both, but took a decision to go with BMW simply because being a desmodromic engine, it has heavy maintenance costs just 30,000 km into the run. I tend to run my bikes long and hard, so I decided to go for the relatively cheaper BMW.
If your riding also entails going off tarmac a fair bit, you’ll definitely be happier with the GS 850 over the Multi. It’ll feel like a mountain goat in comparison. Also, good call going with the GS instead of GSA - I never liked the idea of supersize fuel tanks making these already heavy bikes even more top heavy. For road thrills though the Multi will just be another beast altogether.

Btw - found this in my pic archives from a few months ago, my ageing 1200S Multi with a colleague’s spanking new 2022 GS 850 next to it. Both have their own distinct visual charm and appeal but looks are subjective of course.

On a lighter note, a common lady friend who’s not into bikes at all saw all our bikes side to side in Goa (white Tiger 900 GT, my Multi and this 850 GS) and she only had eyes for the GS 850 - ”this blue one looks so lovely”. So if you’re going the BMW way, you’ll definitely draw the right attention.

BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India-7cc30461aa6b4158a7723b38c1b59782.jpeg
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 15:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
If your riding also entails going off tarmac a fair bit, you’ll definitely be happier with the GS 850 over the Multi. It’ll feel like a mountain goat in comparison. Also, good call going with the GS instead of GSA - I never liked the idea of supersize fuel tanks making these already heavy bikes even more top heavy. For road thrills though the Multi will just be another beast altogether.

On a lighter note, a common lady friend who’s not into bikes at all saw all our bikes side to side in Goa (white Tiger 900 GT, my Multi and this 850 GS) and she only had eyes for the GS 850 - ”this blue one looks so lovely”. So if you’re going the BMW way, you’ll definitely draw the right attention.

Sadly though BMW have removed the beautiful blue colour with gold rims as an option globally this year

I have to settle for the trophy edition which is much more understated. It will help though, in not presenting a too gaudy feel to the bike.

Regarding the multi, my riding impressions - very very impressive bike, probably better than the bmw. but even in the cool december morning the engine fan was kicking up, just 5 km from the showroom. Second, the looks are polarizing, and I initially on paper was not inclined, though in the flesh, it looks much more impressive. But it too looks top heavy, similar to the GSA850.
Old 11th April 2023, 20:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Sadly though BMW have removed the beautiful blue colour with gold rims as an option globally this year

I have to settle for the trophy edition which is much more understated. It will help though, in not presenting a too gaudy feel to the bike.

Regarding the multi, my riding impressions - very very impressive bike, probably better than the bmw. but even in the cool december morning the engine fan was kicking up, just 5 km from the showroom. Second, the looks are polarizing, and I initially on paper was not inclined, though in the flesh, it looks much more impressive. But it too looks top heavy, similar to the GSA850.
Hey Kosjam,. IMO, you will be better off with an understated colour trust me. While on my ride my bike garnered too much attention than I liked. Most of them just ask the usual innocent questions like price and mileage but some tried sitting on the bike without my permission in the name of taking a selfie. I have learned to be extra careful and always keep one eye on the bike whenever I have to leave it parked on public roads. It's fine if you are riding with buddies but it's quite a pain when riding solo.

So, don't fret too much about the colour. Consider yourself lucky even . BTW I really liked the trophy colours. Though it's subdued it does look classy.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 12:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
So if you are serious about it, you can get a (fully refundable) booking done and ask some known person who has bought the BMW, to give you a test drive. I did this to rule out the GSA (It was too top heavy and tall for me)

Hope this helps.
Please just make double sure that the booking amount is refundable. Two of my riding buddies have their deposit stuck with BMW dealer because they did not go ahead with the purchase. Apparently BMW's booking amount is not refundable (could be specific to Pune dealer) so just read the fine print before making the transfer.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 12:42   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Please just make double sure that the booking amount is refundable. Two of my riding buddies have their deposit stuck with BMW dealer because they did not go ahead with the purchase. Apparently BMW's booking amount is not refundable (could be specific to Pune dealer) so just read the fine print before making the transfer.
Great point and this is indeed true. While it might be open to specific negotiation with the odd dealer who’s keen to close a deal, BMW dealers in general are infamous for mandating non refundable booking amounts (and usually in the order of magnitude of 1L or thereabouts, so not a small amount either).

If a specific dealer is offering this up as 100% non-refundable then definitely get this in writing from them.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 12:49   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Great point and this is indeed true. While it might be open to specific negotiation with the odd dealer who’s keen to close a deal, BMW dealers in general are infamous for mandating non refundable booking amounts (and usually in the order of magnitude of 1L or thereabouts, so not a small amount either).

If a specific dealer is offering this up as 100% non-refundable then definitely get this in writing from them.
My personal experience with Mumbai dealer was quite positive, I had made a booking, even paid the booking amount. For some reason, I had to cancel the booking, received the amount back without any hassle at all.

While I had not made any payment to the Pune dealer, they had also assured me that the booking amount was refundable.

Getting it from them in writing is definitely required. I had done the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks