Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2023, 13:41   #46
BHPian

Re: BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India

Some TLC for my geeser this month. Headlight protector from Puig (rs.9500) and side stand extension (rs.4400). Side stand extender is a must imo, the tip is too thin and sharp and on anything other than tarmac it starts to dig in and starts to lean a lot. A pain to get it straightened again thanks to all that weight up top.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India-img_20230304_122714.jpg  

BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India-img_20230304_122722.jpg  

nitro.1000bhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 14:42   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Some TLC for my geeser this month. Headlight protector from Puig (rs.9500) and side stand extension (rs.4400). Side stand extender is a must imo, the tip is too thin and sharp and on anything other than tarmac it starts to dig in and starts to lean a lot. A pain to get it straightened again thanks to all that weight up top.
What is the need for the headlight protector. In the last 15 years of riding multiple bikes, over a lakh km, I have never come across an issue with lights getting damaged, whether mine or fellow bike riders.

Any insight?
Old 15th April 2023, 15:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
What is the need for the headlight protector. In the last 15 years of riding multiple bikes, over a lakh km, I have never come across an issue with lights getting damaged, whether mine or fellow bike riders.

Any insight?
When following another rider offroad tyres can kick up stones etc.. specially the more aggressive tyres. this won't always break the headlight but will leave stone chips and scratches. Also keeps insect massacres in check, easier to clean off. i haven't broken a headlight either but it does help long term.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 20:32   #49
BHPian

Quote:
When following another rider offroad tyres can kick up stones etc.. specially the more aggressive tyres. this won't always break the headlight but will leave stone chips and scratches. Also keeps insect massacres in check, easier to clean off. i haven't broken a headlight either but it does help long term.
A very good purchase. The headlight protectors really help with deflecting small stone chips.

Just curious, why you chose Puig. Was it easy to get? I saw a few other brands make the deflectors. I think BMW also offers as after market purchase.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 20:45   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
A very good purchase. The headlight protectors really help with deflecting small stone chips.

Just curious, why you chose Puig. Was it easy to get? I saw a few other brands make the deflectors. I think BMW also offers as after market purchase.
Thankyou

Simple, Puig was the cheapest one i found at bikenbiker the rest were almost twice as expensive. Also many were the steel grill type and I wanted something with a clear lens . I think this is made of polycarbonate , they're a durable material.
Old 11th May 2023, 18:56   #51

Quote:
And about the 1250 being way better , i will find out soon, but i won't do a silly 2km test ride around the dealership and come to a conclusion. I will do a comprehensive test ride of atleast a 100kms and figure it out myself.

PS: anyone who is overweight and find the front forks inadequate can try the touratech closed cartridge kit
I have also jumped ship from a duke 390 (being the previous bike) to a BMW f850gs triple black albeit with a gap of 3.5 years of riding. Took me time to get my license in Belgium.

I can fully agree with the fact that the bike feels nimble after parking speeds. I am yet to get comfortable with it at parking speeds which is where the weight feels very apparent (miss my duke on these occasions).

I did not yet feel that the bike is top heavy but I guess the reasons are two. 1. I have a lowered seat (not the lowering kit) and I am always driving with esa on dynamic for just the rider. 2. It's been only 500kms since the 2 months because the weather is not riding friendly yet.

Coming to 1250, it is a completely different engine config, suspension setup and different weight distribution, these two bikes other than being from motorrad family have few similarities in driving in my opinion. At low speeds I hear the big gs is much more nimble but needs more space to zip through when needed.

An additional question to you: did you install any tank protection? I have installed a wunderlich crashbars in black, but looking for something to protect the tank parts (did not find anyone offering me a full-omnium insurance in Belgium as I don't have my car insurance with the provider).

Wish you loads of enjoyable kms on your bike!

Cheers,
Jags
Jaganjrb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 15:16   #52

I received mine yesterday.
BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India-bmw.jpg
NomadAD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 15:18   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaganjrb View Post
I have also jumped ship from a duke 390 (being the previous bike) to a BMW f850gs triple black albeit with a gap of 3.5 years of riding. Took me time to get my license in Belgium.

I can fully agree with the fact that the bike feels nimble after parking speeds. I am yet to get comfortable with it at parking speeds which is where the weight feels very apparent (miss my duke on these occasions).

I did not yet feel that the bike is top heavy but I guess the reasons are two. 1. I have a lowered seat (not the lowering kit) and I am always driving with esa on dynamic for just the rider. 2. It's been only 500kms since the 2 months because the weather is not riding friendly yet.

Coming to 1250, it is a completely different engine config, suspension setup and different weight distribution, these two bikes other than being from motorrad family have few similarities in driving in my opinion. At low speeds I hear the big gs is much more nimble but needs more space to zip through when needed.

An additional question to you: did you install any tank protection? I have installed a wunderlich crashbars in black, but looking for something to protect the tank parts (did not find anyone offering me a full-omnium insurance in Belgium as I don't have my car insurance with the provider).

Wish you loads of enjoyable kms on your bike!

Cheers,
Jags
Congratulations Jagan, happy riding and enjoy.

Yes , 390 to 850gs is a huge jump in weight class. Took me a week atleast to get used to the weight.

I didn't want to get the lower seat was because my major reason for upgrading to the 850 was the Duke's horrid seat and a lower seat would mean less foam and less comfort again. Let me know how your seat fares on longer rides.

I rode the 1250 recently. It was a test ride bike and the power was in a different league. I just shifted from 1st to 2nd like on my bike and the front wheel took flight. Was really surprised but it was also very controllable. But there was a disturbing 'kat kat' sound coming from the shaft drive as though some gears had been ground up. This from a 15k km done test bike but one can never know how much abuse a test bike may endure so I won't draw any conclusions from it.

I have hepco & Becker bar work on mine. Both the upper tank guards and the lower crash guard both in black. A givi skid plate and rear carriers and some bark Busters on the handlebars. All the bars have stood up to a fair bit of abuse. I have dropped it on tarmac, sand , grass and on some giant boulders and they don't even have a scratch to show on it. I need to get some tank grips as my riding pants are leaving a few scratches where it meets the tank.

Cheers bud and keep posting updates as you munch more miles. Have fun and be safe.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:30   #54
BHPian

Currently riding around ladakh and it's been a week now, did the nubra valley circuit. Going to do the pangong, tsomoriri circuit tomorrow.

Some observations about the f850. If you let the rpms drop too low in high passes then it bogs down for a split second which gives me the jitters as momentum drops you really feel the heft of the bike. Some clutch work is needed to keep the engine on boil.

Front suspension woes are amplified around these parts, the damping is inadequate and maybe the preload too. Me being less than 70 kilos , it's shocking how bmv managed to get it so wrong. Partly my fault as I was carrying the kitchen sink and commode too. Got to leh and got rid of some bags, was a lot better after.

The fuel cap has a mind of its own (damn keyless start) . At times it opens readily and sometimes you have to turn the ignition on and off to get it open. Could have given a key just for this alone imo.

Rest is all well and good. The electronics as usual are flawless and had my back at most scenarios. Changed tyres before coming here to metzeler karoo street for some off-road performance. Not very happy with the front though. It tips into the turn quite
Easily but won't hold the line. Tends to understeer and suddenly loses grip. Not very progressive the way it slides. Won't recommend this tyre atleast for the 850gs.

Had a small mishap when parked outside a cafe in leh. Bike was parked at a steep angle. Once I started the bike, due to the vibrations it moved forward and got off the side stand and fell into a ditch! Luckily the people in the cafe helped get the bike up. The givi bash plate took the full brunt of the fall and protected the engine case. Highly recommended this.

Riding position is a god send , haven't felt any pain anywhere either seated or stood up. Feels tailored to my size Seats are supremely comfy too.

Added Baja squadron sport lights as stock lights are like fireflies in a jam jar. Had to get the hexcan can bus too totalling around 50k, gulp!!. Hefty price to pay but it is what is. Need to be able to see so I'd say money well spent. These are plenty adequate and don't see the need for the more expensive Baja pro ones.

Range varies between terrain , altitude and speed. Around these parts iam getting around 4.5L per 100km average which I think is amazing for this class of bike. On the plains it was about 5 to 5.5l per 100km.

That's all for now. Will post more as I go along.
Attaching Some pics for your pleasure
Attached Thumbnails
BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India-screenshot_20230816203016506_com.miui.gallery.jpg  

BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India-img_20230818_151315.jpg  

BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India-img_20230818_151418.jpg  

BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India-img_20230818_151446_1.jpg  

BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India-img_20230818_151512_1.jpg  

BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India-img20230819wa0009.jpg  

BMW F 850 GS and F 850 GS Adventure launched in India-img20230819wa0004.jpg  

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 24th August 2023 at 12:37. Reason: Missed a point
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks