Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 22:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Moto Morini X-Cape 650X ADV - A quick look

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
I really do not get this hate about China / Chinese made products.
A significant portion of our population is related to the Army directly or indirectly; at my place almost evey second/third family has an active soldier or veteran. A lot of this dislike of this country in point emanates from the intensely personal heat this part of the population feels when their loved ones are deployed in the areas facing that. There are casualties all the time that don't make the headlines, even when there's no active hostilities due to inclement weather, living conditions & high altitude related illnesses; and when tensions do break out due to direct enemy action as we unfortunately saw recently. Since the kids,wives, friends & ageing parents back home are directly affected as a result, I don't think it's any surprise they don't have much love lost for this neighbor. By association, this dislike then slowly permeates their social circle over time. But for the majority of the population whose skin isn't in the game, what happens at the borders isn't really that big a deal as long as there's no direct negative personal effect in their day to day life. I hope this gives some perspective on this oft repeated observation on Chinese stuff. On the other hand, the $ 73 Billion trade dificit with China will suggest that a lot of our population actually likes Chinese products due to the economic benefits it brings to them.

The bikes themselves seem to have quality components where it matters (brakes,suspension & tyres); for a second there I thought that was the Farhavar on the logo! And what's with the 6 1/2?

Last edited by Vtach : 11th October 2022 at 22:39.
Vtach is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 07:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtach View Post
ABut for the majority of the population whose skin isn't in the game, what happens at the borders isn't really that big a deal as long as there's no direct negative personal effect in their day to day life. I hope this gives some perspective on this oft repeated observation on Chinese stuff. On the other hand, the $ 73 Billion trade dificit with China will suggest that a lot of our population actually likes Chinese products due to the economic benefits it brings to them.
@Vtach - a good perspective. I understand how the military members and their kin may feel. Unfortunately, India's growth cannot be shackled to our acrimonious relationship with our neighbors. The world is tightly interconnected and the global supply chain process has removed the concept of manufacturing in isolation.

China is in its "economic might begets military might" phase. Every country / kingdom has exhibited this over the centuries. You grow, get rich, and then become adventurous and try to capture other resources. The West did it from 1400 - 1950s through colonialism, now China is doing the same.

What India needs is a vibrant free market economy that attracts top talent, resources and capital. Then we become mighty and are proficient to match China at its hegemony.

If Japan, Germany, Korea, Vietnam, Italy and even Singapore held on to past military grudges, they wouldn't be what they are today.

As for the $ 73 bio trade deficit - most of our raw materials for infrastructure, chemicals for pharma industry, chips for phones and cars, and a whole host of plastics and manufacturing stuff are bought by Indian corporates from China. Why? Because we do not have the plants, the resources, the infrastructure or the capability to manufacture in India.

I run a small company - 99% of my stuff is imported from overseas in Europe. A big chunk of those parts is assembled in China or has Chinese suppliers or ties with China. I tried to manufacture frame sliders for motorcycles, only to find the steel and the plastic polymer I need is not available in India. It is made in China. I want to make in India, but sadly the current policies do not help us. I have employees who have families. If I stop running my company because of anti China policy, my employees lose their jobs and livelihood. It is a zero sum game.

Anyways back to Moto Morini

Last edited by no_fear : 12th October 2022 at 07:59.
no_fear is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 16:05   #33
BHPian

re: Italian bikemaker Moto Morini to enter the Indian market. EDIT: Launches 4 bikes

Dead On Arrival! In India the name is definitely going to be mis-pronounced as MORNI, particularly in the north, and who wants to be caught alive atop a MORNI! (Morni is a female Peacock, for those not familiar with Hindi)
windiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 16:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
@Vtach - a good perspective. I understand how the military members and their kin may feel. Unfortunately, India's growth cannot be shackled to our acrimonious relationship with our neighbors. The world is tightly interconnected and the global supply chain process has removed the concept of manufacturing in isolation.

China is in its "economic might begets military might" phase. Every country / kingdom has exhibited this over the centuries. You grow, get rich, and then become adventurous and try to capture other resources. The West did it from 1400 - 1950s through colonialism, now China is doing the same.

What India needs is a vibrant free market economy that attracts top talent, resources and capital. Then we become mighty and are proficient to match China at its hegemony.

If Japan, Germany, Korea, Vietnam, Italy and even Singapore held on to past military grudges, they wouldn't be what they are today.

As for the $ 73 bio trade deficit - most of our raw materials for infrastructure, chemicals for pharma industry, chips for phones and cars, and a whole host of plastics and manufacturing stuff are bought by Indian corporates from China. Why? Because we do not have the plants, the resources, the infrastructure or the capability to manufacture in India.

I run a small company - 99% of my stuff is imported from overseas in Europe. A big chunk of those parts is assembled in China or has Chinese suppliers or ties with China. I tried to manufacture frame sliders for motorcycles, only to find the steel and the plastic polymer I need is not available in India. It is made in China. I want to make in India, but sadly the current policies do not help us. I have employees who have families. If I stop running my company because of anti China policy, my employees lose their jobs and livelihood. It is a zero sum game.

Anyways back to Moto Morini
Well said. I don't understand the hate against Chinese products on many levels.

1. Chinese products are far superior than anything India has to offer. Still we mock them for 'copying'. This only means that we are not even good at copying.
2. The Chinese government might be authoritarian and or evil. That doesn't mean we should hate their people or especially companies that can improve peoples lives and environment with their products.
3. Most people hating on Chinese products are hating the known name brands. They aren't aware more than half the products they use are from China.
4. The war and military thing is political. If our government decided to optimize for least number of people killed, there are many ways not to have wars even if the neighbors aren't exactly saints.
sreeharipv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 18:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: Italian bikemaker Moto Morini to enter the Indian market. EDIT: Launches 4 bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Dead On Arrival! In India the name is definitely going to be mis-pronounced as MORNI, particularly in the north, and who wants to be caught alive atop a MORNI! (Morni is a female Peacock, for those not familiar with Hindi)
We have disastrous names like Creta that are best sellers so not sure the logic makes sense. Watch the videos posted above and you will see the bike is being appreciated for what it brings to the market. Anyone who is serious about purchasing a middle weight adv will do so on the merits, price and a s.s rep of the company.

The only serious gripe seems to be the inability to stand and ride due to the pegs.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 12th October 2022 at 18:29.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 19:02   #36
BHPian

Re: Italian bikemaker Moto Morini to enter the Indian market. EDIT: Launches 4 bikes

Quote:
Tell that to a certain (ex)Creta.

There is already a massive audience that’s making fun of the name the way you suggest. But that’s the TG that comments on powerdrift’s insta. They are the kinds drag race on a shared Duke and aspire to riding a certain American brand of large bikes utilising century-old technology. Definitely not the TG for this brand anyway.

Besides, you do know that a huge part of this country neither cares about Hindi, nor wants to. More than enough to sell a brand like this.

Now if it were a mass market 100-200cc bike, I would agree with you. But it isn’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
The only serious gripe seems to be the inability to stand and ride due to the pegs.
Interesting. Haven’t seen or read that complaint anywhere on any review internationally. Why do you say that? If it’s the case though I’m sure there’s an easy enough aftermarket fix.

Last edited by RT13 : 12th October 2022 at 19:04.
RT13 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 20:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Comments like this questions my faith in India's education system. Let's keep the discussion on track and not focus on India's national bird which even NBC news channel adopted as its logo.

Besides as RT13 and Nilesh pointed out - what's in a name and in a language.

Moving on.

Last edited by no_fear : 12th October 2022 at 20:58.
no_fear is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 23:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Dead On Arrival! ...! (Morni is a female Peacock, for those not familiar with Hindi)
...and a female peacock is a peahen if you're familiar with English.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 08:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I dropped into the Benelli company store in Cochin to check out the new Moto Morini motorcycles (quite a mouthful!). Ive read good feedback on these bikes from international users and wanted to see what they were like, in person.
I did see the X-Cape at the local Motorad dealer. Impressive looking machine, no doubt. The icing on the cake, atleast in my part of the world is the price tag. Its just $1800 NZD over a Royal Enfield Interceptor! While that is no fair comparison, putting it out there to give you an idea of what you can get for your money. In India, I guess it will be twice the cost of an Interceptor due to import duties.

I have not seen any of these bikes on the road. There are more Himalayan's than these for sure, due to their price tag being almost half.

While I am not averse to anything Chinese, I would give it some time to know how these hold up and what kind of manufacturer support you get. I feel these are too new to make a call on longevity, atleast post the Chinese takeover.

Italian bikemaker Moto Morini to enter the Indian market. EDIT: Launches 4 bikes-img_20220817_125815.jpg
sandeepmohan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 10:35   #40

How do these bikes stand against the RE Twins (soon to be triplets or quadruplets)? The RE bikes are world class and make so much sense financially.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2022 at 23:10. Reason: Capital letters
beingsidd is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th October 2022, 11:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Don't worry, the Skoda Laura continues to be a popular car in North India. If we can buy that (including yours truly), Morni is a cakewalk.
RohanDheman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 11:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingsidd View Post
how do this bikes stand up against the re twins (soon to be triplets or quadruplets). the re bikes are world class and make so much sense financially .
Different category brother. Moto Morini (MM) has much better parts in suspension, brakes and instrumentation. Only thing that matches is the weight!

If you want to do a specs comparo then do it with the Versys 650.

Overall, price compared with X-CapeX (If the higher seat height of the X is managable then it's the most VFM with longer suspension travel & tubeless spoke wheels)
Italian bikemaker Moto Morini to enter the Indian market. EDIT: Launches 4 bikes-xcape.jpg

Brakes & wheels X-Cape
Italian bikemaker Moto Morini to enter the Indian market. EDIT: Launches 4 bikes-xcapewheels.jpg

Suspension X-Cape
Italian bikemaker Moto Morini to enter the Indian market. EDIT: Launches 4 bikes-xcapesusp.jpg
Source
All better on paper but does it offer peace of mind is what needs to be seen like experts pointed out in posts above!

This is like an OnePlus product which is still managed by Oppo-Vivo group!

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 13th October 2022 at 11:47. Reason: typo, added hyperlink for source
surjaonwheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 12:03   #43
BHPian

I pray that the bikes don't have major niggles. Comprehensive test rides and ownership reviews will attest to that. But the bikes look smashing. I'm tempted to put a down payment.
mugen_pinaki27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 09:07   #44
Senior - BHPian

After spending 7.5/8 lakhs, one wouldn't want to be seen on a 'chinese' product, no matter how good the product might be. It's very similar to not being seen in a 'one lakh' Nano even though it was an almost perfect city car.
The perception plays a big part in the purchase as we know. Nano failed on account of the owners feeling that they were perceived as being too poor to buy a proper car, likewise the Morini will fail on account of the perception that the owner doesn't have enough money to buy a prope big brand and hence gone Chinese. Oh another example is why one doesn't buy a Xiomi or a Oppo over a Samsung. Probably OnePlus is the rare Chinese brand which has eliminated the stigma of being Chinese, the other being the MG, however will Morini have the brand appeal of a MG only time will tell.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 12:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Morini Xcape caught my attention as at first glace it comes across as a fresh, simple, dakar-ish styled and very handsome looking bike. So i did watch some international reviews and it seems like a very good package.
Internationally, the bike competes with the likes of versys 650, Vstorm 650 but is priced considerably cheaper to makes sense. In India the price difference is negated cos of our tax structure. Equipment wise, its very impressive and many international reviews peg the bike at par if not better than the versys 650/vstorm.
Talking about equipment, the bike on paper has a proven engine from CF moto with better exhaust note than the versys of which i have had one in the past. Ergonomics looks very sorted with comfortable riding position, good seat, tall handlebar, and riders abroad say that its breeze to stand and ride on the bike. No need for any risers, etc. Footpeg position could have done with being placed a little lower, to ease the knee stress over time. The windscreen is manually adjustable and tall enough for a buyer to not look at aftermarket taller screens.

The panel work seems well made and put together without overdoing the design. handlebar appears to be tapered and hydro-formed. cockpit view looks nice and simple with large tft screen. pairing phone for navigation would have been good although we can receive calls, play and control music via the screen onto our helmet BT.

Fully adjustable front suspension from marzocchi and rear from KYB seems to work very well in giving a balanced ride is what most riders abroad say. Neither too soft not too hard for our broken roads. KYB we have all mostly heard of, marzocchi is a very well known brand in suspension domain for MTBs. So these sound like good equipment and work well with the frame geometry.
Tubeless spoke wheels are dream of a middle class adv rider and this one offers the same. Combined with one of the best dual sport tyres in piralli scorpion ralley STR, its a great combo. Not to mention the Brembo brakes with dual piston, both in front and rear. The bike comes with a nice engine/body guard as well, so we dont have to spends heavy on getting them as accessories.

Pls note that my impressions are basis watching reviews and personal experience of riders internationally and their thoughts. Basis which, the bike does come across as a very good product, well made and finished with top notch equipment from some of the best in the business.

Point of concern is the service and spares in India and also the relatively unknown brand. Although Moto Morini is a very old Italian brand and have had good pedigree of making off roading bikes. They were revived a few times, joined hands with Ducati, and eventually was bought by the Chinese company in similar lines as Benalli. A good product and if 'priced well' will sell in India, be it from china or anywhere. That is the reason Chinese phones have taken over the market here and tvs are in process of the same.

Although Xcape is very well priced for the equipment it features, But just the fact that its priced close to Versys which is from a big and know brand, may play to its disadvantage. Not to mention the fact that its a lesser known entity with no history of sales and service.

Personally, i am not really looking for a bike in that bracket, but would surely love to test ride one and who knows...

Last edited by nasirkaka : 14th October 2022 at 12:45.
nasirkaka is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks