Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:00   #1
BHPian

Ducati 1098 S - Rescued & Restored

This was posted earlier in our "Imports Gathering Dust" thread of the Vintage cars section of the forum.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4816031 (Pics: Imports gathering dust in India)

Ducati 1098 S - Rescued & Restored-ducati.jpg

This is a Ducati 1098 S Tricolore, seized by Kochi Customs. It has been left in that state since, reportedly, 7 years.

A gentleman by the name Ashkar had bid for it and won the bid, and had restored it completely.

One less superbike left to rot on our streets!

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2022 at 11:17. Reason: Adding pic :). Thanks for sharing!
saitvsk23 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:09   #2
BHPian

re: Rare Ducati 1098 S Tricolore Edition - Rescued & Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
This is a Ducati 1098 S Tricolore, seized by Kochi Customs. It has been left in that state since, reportedly, 7 years.
I am going to draw flak for this but I would rather set things straight than let the mis-information continue.

Kudos to the owner for saving the bike, but it is not a Tricolore.

It is a regular 1098S that was painted as a Tricolore. The bike was originally black and then repainted in Delhi in the tricolore decals before it landed up in Kochi customs. There is plenty of documented evidence about this.

Having said that, I am delighted that a bike, that too an exotic Ducati has been rescued and lives to its new glory.
no_fear is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
I am going to draw flak for this but I would rather set things straight than let the mis-information continue...
Why would anyone have a problem with you sharing the truth ?

I think everyone here knows your knowledge on Ducati bikes are second to none here so your insight on this news is welcome and I don't think anyone will take offense to the truth being shared.
bf1983 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 19:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
I am going to draw flak for this but I would rather set things straight than let the mis-information continue.

Kudos to the owner for saving the bike, but it is not a Tricolore.

It is a regular 1098S that was painted as a Tricolore. The bike was originally black and then repainted in Delhi in the tricolore decals before it landed up in Kochi customs. There is plenty of documented evidence about this.

Having said that, I am delighted that a bike, that too an exotic Ducati has been rescued and lives to its new glory.
All I'm gonna say is that its a paintjob well done!
saitvsk23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 19:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Why would anyone have a problem with you sharing the truth ?
Probably because the vloggers who glorified this as 1/1 in India or 1/2 in India wouldn't like it. The same video in the first post had comments that this is not a genuine Tricolore and the comments were either taken down or flagged by their so called fans. Truths would hurt a few if you look that way because the title of the video itself is a false information. I for one had commented on the insta handle of a couple of vloggers when the images were out, but the comments were taken down in a day rather than finding the truth of the story. I think even the person who bought it from the customs believes this is an OE Tricolore. So I can guess some people have a problem with the truth, but either way, lets see how this gets restored. I am excited for that part

Last edited by Xaos636 : 22nd September 2022 at 19:44.
Xaos636 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 12:34   #6
BHPian

Re: Ducati 1098 S - Rescued & Restored

Happy that another exotic is getting saved, but such a shame that it turned out to be a fake tricolor from what can be inferred. Like @no_fear said, the potential evidence is plenty if you look at the right places.
A few things that were noticed were that the gold stripe and the Ducati decal on the tank are not at the same place that an original Tricolore has, and then the bike has ditto aftermarket accessories to a specific black 1098s with red frame that used to be in Kerala(was featured on some magazine too that time) down to every single item from the aftermarket visor to levers to rear sets(brand and color too) and exhausts.
Thirdly, I might be wrong but weren't these a numbered build? I didn't see any numbered badge on the upper triple tee.

I hope that I am wrong and all these are just a coincidence. But it does open up an interesting discussion for sure.

Cheers
Krishna

Last edited by krishnaprasadgg : 25th September 2022 at 12:40.
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 18:16   #7

It's great to see an exotic superbike being saved from being scrapped! and that tricolore livery looks awesome
atif_46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 12:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Happy that another exotic is getting saved, but such a shame that it turned out to be a fake tricolor from what can be inferred. Like @no_fear said, the potential evidence is plenty if you look at the right places.
A few things that were noticed were that the gold stripe and the Ducati decal on the tank are not at the same place that an original Tricolore has
Yup, at least its an original 1098 S and living to see another day.

As you correctly pointed out the gold stripe and Ducati decal on the original Tricolore is placed much further ahead on the tank as seen in the pictures below.

Name:  1098s.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  186.8 KB

Ducati 1098 S - Rescued & Restored-abandonedducatifeatured.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
and then the bike has ditto aftermarket accessories to a specific black 1098s with red frame that used to be in Kerala(was featured on some magazine too that time) down to every single item from the aftermarket visor to levers to rear sets(brand and color too) and exhausts.
Correct on the accessories part as well and hard to be a coincidence when the golden clutch covers, levers and exhaust are exactly the same from the Black one with a red frame, which was featured on Manorama Fast track magazine.

Ducati 1098 S - Rescued & Restored-img_2763.jpg
SnS_12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 08:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Original 1098 S Tricolore or not, I am happy that India's most (in?)famous Ducati is being restored and is back on our roads. I was always under the impression that the bike was unregistered. A lot of other enthusiasts also thought the same. If that was the case, considering the emission norms related constraints, there was no way for me, or anyone else, to get it registered, with the RTO. This was one reason why many of us enthusiasts in Kerala, never took an interest in participating in the auctions and picking it up, over the past few years.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 22:03   #10
BHPian

Same bike in 2017 just before it was seized.
Attached Thumbnails
Ducati 1098 S - Rescued & Restored-2b0ea407d6d3458d8d20df632e602f9d.jpeg  

AshwinThekkan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 02:09   #11
BHPian

Hello everyone, such a beautiful machine good to see it restored! I'm inquisitive to know more about Ducati 1098S, any Idea where is this bike now? Are there more imported Ducati 1098/1098S spotted in India?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks