Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:29   #16
BHPian

Re: 2022 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imported Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkumarabhishek View Post
What is the criteria for calling some bikes Superbike ?
Why RE Twins are conspicuously absent from this list ?
We had this debate earlier, as they are not imports they don't feature in this category. Also their sales in thousands skews every sales graph!

You'll find 650 twins thread under the 'Motorbikes' category.

--surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 15:36   #17
BHPian

If Ducati and BMW share their numbers, I think it may be fairly decent too...
Old 23rd January 2023, 17:29   #18
BHPian

I had picked up my Z900 with just 2 days remaining in 2021, around then the Z900 numbers were abysmal, the Ninja 1000 was outselling it by a huge margin however that hasn't lasted. Somehow the new livery has probably helped the Z's cause.

Also the ZX 10r has outsold the Ninja 1000!!! ,that one was a surprise. The Street triple will probably have a stronger showing this year with the newer, edgier models and possibly better availability now.

Also, another thing that amused me was the speed twin numbers, I love that bike and from the looks of it, it has sold alright , but I've never spotted on on the road yet. Hope I spot one soon, might switch to it in a couple of years.

Quote:
To be absolutely honest there isn't a definition per se, however the term was coined by journos/ enthusiasts back in 1968 to refer to CB750 which had wowed the world by being the first ever inline 4 engine , and a high capacity one at that with a power output unlike anything in production at that time.

However the term has now evolved and loosely refers to high capacity, high power motorcycles, do bear in mind though that the "high capacity" here is a relative term and usually does not refer to large capacity cruisers. Bikes usually above 750 cc and high power output land in this category and hence the RE twins don't really qualify as superbikes as the power output is fairly conservative at 47 bhp.

Last edited by noo.b : 23rd January 2023 at 17:57. Reason: quoting another post
noo.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 18:38   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Aren't RE bikes easier to understand as an exception compared to the likes of the 6.87L ex-showroom Honda CB500X which is also absent from the list, along with others like the KTM 390 series?

To add to the points others mentioned - there is no hard and fast criteria that is defined in the market, but we have generally taken a benchmark of around 50hp, also inline with the A2 segment license requirements in Europe. Most of these bikes mentioned above are around the 47hp mark due to this reason - they are A2 bikes for Europe!

The threads in the forum reflect the same structure too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
If Ducati and BMW share their numbers, I think it may be fairly decent too...
BMW overall numbers are mentioned in a separate comment in the previous page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noo.b View Post
Ninja 1000
Ninja 1000 made for maximum sales when it was under 10L ex-showroom, but with the updated SX - the price has moved up significantly to above 12L ex-showroom.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd January 2023 at 18:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 19:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly go through this thread, it has torqy content to accelerate your knowledge from 60-120 in 2.3 secs
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 20:04   #21
BHPian

Hayabusa's sales are expected, its a biker wants: enough torque, 4 cylinder sound and feel, looks, the legendary name which no other bike on this list qualifies for.
CBR1000 sales are a surprise, but I guess its due to competition in the Liter class space.

What totally blows me over is how most of the keyboard warriors were at it, saying that we don't have a proper competitive 600cc in the market, now we have from Kawasaki and we don't give a damn.

ZX 6R is down to zero, isn't it? Why? Even Triumph's 600's are doing pretty bad.
Why can't we Indians ever ignore cc's? 600 is a decent amount, and multicylinder means you're already getting the best out of it. What do we want?
Old 23rd January 2023, 23:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
What totally blows me over is how most of the keyboard warriors were at it, saying that we don't have a proper competitive 600cc in the market, now we have from Kawasaki and we don't give a damn.

ZX 6R is down to zero, isn't it?
ZX-6R is down to zero as there's no way to buy one

It was one of the casualties of Euro 5 along with the mighty H2. It hasn't been sold post 2019 because of that (BS6 in India).

Last edited by theredliner : 23rd January 2023 at 23:01.
theredliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 11:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
BMW Motorrad is very likely to be in the 3rd place, with 7282 units dispatched- but there is no model-wise split sales data available.
With the assumption of 310cc trio grabbing most sales in BMW Motorrad line-up, all those numbers shouldn't be counted in Superbikes category. It's similar to Kawasaki Ninja 300, 400 sales figures not being accounted for in this analysis.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 14:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
With the assumption of 310cc trio grabbing most sales in BMW Motorrad line-up, all those numbers shouldn't be counted in Superbikes category. It's similar to Kawasaki Ninja 300, 400 sales figures not being accounted for in this analysis.
As per AutoCarPro, 6554 out of the those 7282 are from the 310s. So, 728 is the figure for BMW big bikes. That would put them in the 3rd position. Not too bad I guess.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 15:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
ZX-6R is down to zero as there's no way to buy one
It was one of the casualties of Euro 5 along with the mighty H2. It hasn't been sold post 2019 because of that (BS6 in India).
Oh ok. I guess I've gone old. Ask me anything from Pulsar vs Karizma days and get ready for a lecture but I'm lost in the current events.

Still, ZX 6R didn't fare well even in its last days to the best of my memory. It didn't sell like hot cakes or anywhere close.
Old 24th January 2023, 16:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Why can't we Indians ever ignore cc's?
As the old adage goes, ain't no replacement for displacement!
windiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 12:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Still, ZX 6R didn't fare well even in its last days to the best of my memory. It didn't sell like hot cakes or anywhere close.
It was sold for only about a year before they pulled the plug. So, it's hard to draw a conclusion IMO. If we go by the 2019 report from T-BHP, Kawasaki sold 178 units. About 10% more than 10R and about 10% less than Ninja 650. That figure wasn't really bad.

Also, it was priced only about Rs.350k below the 10R. Considering the heavy financial hit that one has to take to buy these big bikes in India with the high prices and poor wages, I guess many would have just stretched their budget by 30% more and gone all the way for its litre sibling once and for all, especially since the 10R was a better value proposition back then than it is now. Most 6R buyers would likely get that itch to upgrade to a litre bike a few years down the line which would probably make it a worse decision financially.

This small price gap is also one of the reasons for the death of these 600 supersports world over.

Last edited by theredliner : 25th January 2023 at 12:31.
theredliner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 09:47   #28
BHPian

The ZX6R has already been made Euro 5 and might see a comeback soon. I believe they brought it to India just to sell off some Euro 4 backlogs before BS6 kicked in. The upcoming ZX4R and the ZX6R would be just perfect for our roads(not counting the ground clearance ofcourse).

Its sad to see that Japanese major Yamaha is missing on the entire list, because they sold 0 units the entire year and now the costliest machine on the stable is the R15M. I still believe there would be takers for a YZF R1 even at 30-35L. When the Panigale V4 is 33L and V4S at 39L, Yamaha could easily bring in the R1, R7 etc. to test waters.

When the R1 was last sold at 24L on road in 2019, Yamaha did have a huge gab between 10-20L back then(2014-19) to launch the R6 here(when we only had the Daytona 675 ruling the supersport 600cc class) and could have easily sold every single one of them, considering the fan following it has in India. But as we know, Yamaha is not at all betting on their big bikes here, heck we did not even get the now Euro 5 YZF R3. My only hope is the upcoming YZF R9 and the updated MT09 to be launched here. Its sad to see Yamaha going this route. One of the first manufactures to bring in the R1 to revolutionize the superbike scene in India back in 2008, and now no superbikes on sale. Common Yamaha, you are missing your share!
Xaos636 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 10:22   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Its sad to see that Japanese major Yamaha is missing on the entire list
Says a lot when even such expert old-timers have completely given up hopes on the brand -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks