Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2023, 18:23   #121
Team-BHP Support

re: One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
Great bikes and nice write-up! Would love to join you guys for a morning ride. Please DM me if you are okay. I recently moved to Bangalore and would love to tag along
Hey

Welcome to Bangalore. Did you get the Duke 390 transferred as well?

I rarely plan rides - due to the nature of my work, I just take last minute decisions and jump in with BHPians like KarthikK and ebmrajesh on their weekend plans.

I have just one planned ride this year and that's already blocked out. Will update for any plans next month.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th December 2023 at 18:26.
Old 15th December 2023, 21:01   #122
BHPian

re: One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hey

Welcome to Bangalore. Did you get the Duke 390 transferred as well?

I rarely plan rides - due to the nature of my work, I just take last minute decisions and jump in with BHPians like KarthikK and ebmrajesh on their weekend plans.
Yes! I have my Duke with me at Bangalore. Couldn't sell it off there, too close to my heart.

No problems at all. Overnight rides are tough for me as well. Breakfast rides and one-day rides are something I can plan at this time as well. Do let me if something pops out.

Cheers!
Tuisha110HP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 22:11   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And the Tiger Sport 660. Can't take a picture of all three together with the Continental in the center - or else Neil will complain the ADV riders bullied him into that placement (Proof here )
Ladies and gentlemen of the impartial TBHP jury, I hereby present to you irrefutable proof of my well founded claims of being bullied by these owners of Adv bikes!!!

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-1.jpg
Exhibit 1

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-2.jpg
Exhibit 2

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-3.jpg
Dr CD : "Hey, dont forget the plan ....."

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-4.jpg
Exhibit 3

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-5.jpg
Exhibit 4

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-6.jpg
Exhibit 5

Need I say more
neil.jericho is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 22:32   #124
Team-BHP Support

What Neil sees:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
irrefutable proof of my well founded claims of being bullied by these owners of Adv bikes!!!
What everyone else sees:

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-images-49.jpeg
(Image source)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th December 2023 at 22:47. Reason: Added image source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 13:21   #125
Team-BHP Support

The problem with the 3-row TFT screen on the Tiger Sport 660 is that it doesn't show enough information once a warning lamp comes on!

Since the bike was last serviced on 14th of December, this 'service due' warning came up permanently today and won't even allow me to see the total odo reading.

Thankfully I'm on the way to Khivraj Triumph to complete the annual service and wouldn't have to live with this UI experience much longer!

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_091002.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 09:34   #126
Team-BHP Support

Service Experience #5: First annual service @13k kms
Khivraj Triumph, Electronic City

In case anyone missed my previous post, I had paid service package to be availed with Keerthi Triumph, but had to let it go after chasing them 1.5 months to get a service slot.

Took the bike for the 1st annual service today with an odo reading of ~13,000 kms.

Total bill amount came to 26,557/- at Khivraj Triumph. Before you fall off the chair reading that figure (I almost did! ), the service covered the below items -
  • Wash
  • Annual service with Oil change
  • Brake pads change (Front & Rear) - Major expense
  • Coolant Top up
  • Chain clean and lube
  • Gear lever adjustment on request
  • Clutch lubrication and play adjustment on request
  • Bluetooth Communication Module Software updation

Job card issue

I turned up at Khivraj Triumph at 10:30AM as per the appointment schedule, but they were unable to open a job card till ~2:30 PM. There was an issue with how the e-mail ID was updated earlier - possibly another mess made by Keerthi Triumph and the software continued to throw an invalid e-mail exception whenever they tried to access my record on the Triumph CRM.

They had to log an issue with the backend team, who came took remote desktop connection, investigated the error and fixed something from the backend before the job card was able to be opened.

Meanwhile, my had joined me with the Street Triple 765RS to get some accessories fixed and all those jobs were completed before noon.

MAP Sensor Recall Update

Keerthi Triumph was bluffing since 30th August when they said the MAP sensor recall had been registered and they are waiting for parts. What a joke of a service center!

Apparently, an entry called 'prior' (if i got it right from the SA) has to be created for ordering a recall part and 21 days is the expected lead time once the prior is created. No such thing had been created for my bike and Khivraj Triumph went ahead and did it.

Brake pads

I was under the impression that I used to get ~20k kms of life with brake pads on the Versys 650 and hence never really bothered to cross check the brake pad condition before this service. But then my Nissin brake pads on the Versys was also changed at 13k kms only.

Turned out to be an expensive affair as these Nissin pads are extremely costly from Triumph.

Front brake pads were worn out completely, and another few hundred kms more would have cost me the rotors. Rear ones had about a 1000kms or more left, but i got them changed anyways - considering the ~2k kms of riding expected before the year end.

Service quality - Khivraj Triumph, Electronic City

Big thanks to the service personnel - Surya and Praveen (and also Gaurav and Kevin from the sales team) for the excellent attention provided, and for arranging the brake pads on such short notice. It was almost ~3:30 PM when they realized the brake pads are completely shot, and that the pads are not in stock either. As with most other authorized service centers - they asked if the bike can be delivered on Monday evening, but when I told them I have to travel almost 4 hours extra back & forth additional for this - they went to arrange the alternatives.

Front brake pads were sourced from the warehouse and the rear ones were sourced from another center - parts arriving in by 6:30 PM when the center was expected to shut down. The SAs extended the shift beyond their normal working hours to complete the job and handover the bike to me and another Speed Triple customer who came in for some minor work late in the evening.

Overall: Very satisfied with Khivraj Triumph as compared to the mess that is Keerthi Triumph. Would recommend all Triumph owners to ditch Keerthi and get the work done at Khivraj instead.

Billing

Total bill amount came to 26,557/- out of which 10,457/- was for the items related to general service and 16,100/- was for the items related to the brake pads replacement.

Without AMC - Triumph service is expensive, no doubt, but given the service interval is annual rather than every 6 months as with some of the competing brands - the amount is not all that different, priced more than some Honda ownership reports on the forum and slightly less than Kawasaki reports on the forum for the first year of ownership.

Brake pad costs hurt though - no two ways about it! 16k is a pretty hard figure to digest and 30% can be saved by going aftermarket, or even more savings can be had by importing it from the UK.

I have a busy schedule next week before an upcoming ride, and couldn't ask them to skip the replacement and opt for third party options at the last minute. Lesson learned to be better prepared next time.

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-screenshot_20231217_095118_drivvo.jpg

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-screenshot_20231217_092824_drivvo.jpg

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-screenshot_20231217_092905_drivvo.jpg

When the service center is at Electronic City and you stay well up-north, riding down is a breakfast ride in itself. More so with good company!

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_095022.jpg

I rode the Street Triple 765RS for ~40 kms. Still within the run-in timelines, but you still can feel the potential waiting to be unleashed. The engine character feels uncannily similar to the Tiger Sport 660, but with significantly better resulting pull. Can't wait to experience the top-end post run-in!

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_095106.jpg

The Street Triple had to get some accessories fixed and all those jobs were completed before noon. Checkout this ultra-sexy scrolling indicators (please check on the image, if the GIF doesn't work in the preview). I was tempted as well till I heard the price of it

Waiting for the job card to be issued - there was an issue with how the e-mail ID was updated earlier - possibly another mess made by Keerthi Triumph and the software continued to throw an invalid e-mail exception whenever they tried to access my record on the Triumph CRM.

They had to log an issue with the backend team, who came took remote desktop connection, investigated the error and fixed something from the backend before the job card was able to be opened.

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_111803.jpg

Nice and shining after a proper wash! I likey...

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_135101.jpg

Meanwhile, I notice this Tiger Sport waiting for accident repair / parts. Wonder if the Prospec add-on shield is a good idea:

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_110053.jpg

By ~3pm the service is well underway and soon we realize that the brakepads are completely done! Parts were not in stock and had to be arranged as mentioned earlier:

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_145720.jpg

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_145750.jpg

The actual 17L fuel tank inside the large tank covering:

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_180305.jpg

The tank housing also houses the air filter module:

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_180310.jpg

Good job Triumph, only the plastic cover area needs to be removed to change the air filter, unlike the Versys where the side panels and the fuel tank was required to be removed to check the condition of the air filter:

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_144747.jpg

The brake pads came in by well around 6:15pm and work resumes:

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_181914.jpg

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_182634.jpg

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_183459.jpg

10W50 Castrol Full Synthetic Oil, Castrol having the brand partnership with Triumph:

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_183532.jpg

Showroom is closed and all the ladies have left by this time. Most of them men (Sales advisors, service advisors, guards, stayed back to finish the work a couple of our bikes).

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_191737.jpg

They also get us egg puff and chai. Thanks for the small but nice gesture

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_190725.jpg

The other bike around is a Speed Triple RS belonging to a popular Youtuber, who is also known to my friend. We chat up for sometime while the bike is getting some last minute wash and prep. Washing guys had already left home before the owner requested for the same, so the service guys themselves got to it. Nice job!

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_191821.jpg

Final round of checks - unfortunately took around 30 minutes more as there was an update to be installed for my bluetooth communication module.

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_190625.jpg

Finally ready to hit the road by around 8pm - thanks Khivraj Triumph - what a contrast between you guys and some of the lame folks at Keerthi (refer previous page for the details)!

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_195655.jpg

Back home by 9:40PM - what a long day to be out for a service! But then - bike is ready for yet another ride with friends before the year ends. More on that in the coming week

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231216_214137.jpg

PS: Shoutout to BHPian Raskolnikov.R who came up to chat at the service center and gave us company for long after this work was done. Was a lovely discussion - glad you are enjoying the Speed 400! All the best for your upcoming ride - Ride safe

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th December 2023 at 16:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 15:12   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Without AMC - Triumph service is expensive, no doubt, but given the service interval is annual rather than every 6 months as with some of the competing brands - the amount is not all that different, priced more than some Honda ownership reports on the forum and slightly less than Kawasaki reports on the forum for the first year of ownership.
A very very important point brought out here. Triumph service and parts costs have gone up exponentially in the last 3-4 months. Even the AMC costs have doubled - and sadly, that's the only saviour for current (and future) Triumph owners with 600cc and above machines. With every Triumph bike (not sure of the 400s) having to undergo a major service at 20k, 40k intervals cost of which touches almost 30k INR - AMC is the only way out because a lot of things get covered in this one time cost (including the general checkups that cost approx 3-5k alone).

Maybe it's just the teething phase, but Bajaj partnership isn't really rosy for us in any manner -neither are parts freely available and neither has the costs stabilised

Quote:
Brake pad costs hurt though - no two ways about it! 16k is a pretty hard figure to digest and 30% can be saved by going aftermarket, or even more savings can be had by importing it from the UK.
You can actually get the whole Front and Rear brake pad set from EBC in the price of only the front brake pad. And yes it is a hard figure to digest but then it is what it is!
TheVaas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 17:52   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A very cheap, yet value-add accessory that got delivered today morning - I had this on the Versys as well and really liked how it helped take some pressure off the fingers and also helped keep my grip loose.

Even though this was a re-order of the exact same item that i had on the Versys, the plastic quality seems to have moved to the cheaper side as with the pricing. I'm not happy with the plastic quality but will anyways will monitor for a ride and see if I need to order some other brand.

Attachment 2521970

Also looking at quick throttle options, but unable to find any - even in the UK websites. Any suggestions welcome.
Please don't pick up this Throttle Assist palm grip from Amazon. Their quality has significantly reduced. As I mentioned earlier - I had it on the Versys for long, but on the Tiger Sport it barely lasted 1.5 months and fell off last weekend during the Yercaud ride. (And it was a re-order of the same listing that i had ordered for the Versys)

Walked in to Bikenbiker today for another requirement and noticed these. Picked up - looks much better quality than the Amazon one, hopefully this will last much longer as well.

Cost 499/-
Brand - Byke iT!

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231217_173932.jpg

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231217_174012.jpg

The cheap Amazon one for comparison:

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-20231025_061157.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
AMC is the only way out because a lot of things get covered in this one time cost (including the general checkups that cost approx 3-5k alone).
True. Unfortunately AMC is also dealer specific and as it happened in my case - leaves you at the mercy of lame dealerships like Keerthi Triumph.

But costwise - AMC makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
You can actually get the whole Front and Rear brake pad set from EBC in the price of only the front brake pad. And yes it is a hard figure to digest but then it is what it is!
Enquired today when I visited bikenbiker. Prices are as below -
Front brake pads: 3,300 * 2 sets = 6,600/-
Rear brake pads: 3,200/-

That's a cool 4,410/- INR less than the Triumph brake pads for the full set. True, it is what it is!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th December 2023 at 18:19.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 21:12   #129
Senior - BHPian

The OG Throttle Rocker from Amazon USA have this marking and that's the packaging. These are fantastic
Quote:
Please don't pick up this Throttle Assist palm grip from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-img_5744.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 10:48   #130
BHPian

This is total ripoff, Why on earth brake pads should cost this much? Even brembo brake pads for cars like Honda city come at 1/3rd of the price.
Old 19th December 2023, 13:14   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
This is total ripoff, Why on earth brake pads should cost this much? Even brembo brake pads for cars like Honda city come at 1/3rd of the price.
I can't answer the "Why" personally, but can take some guesses.

Regardless, the V Strom 650's brake pads cost about 7.5k per pair, so you're looking at a total of 22k for 3 pairs lol. I'm thinking if this is a better investment than gold and diamond. This part has hurt me the most as well. It has made me retrospect about life and what not

EBCs have been considered but apparently can eat away at the discs is what I hear. I don't even want to wager how much the disc might cost lol. But this is the way I've seen many people go.
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 18:05   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The OG Throttle Rocker from Amazon USA have this marking and that's the packaging. These are fantastic
Never knew about this! Now that I search with the term Throttle Rocker- I see affordable options from Oxford too. Will try if this one doesnt last long.

Thanks a ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
Big bikes vs equivalent cars for the price is a long debated question, but I do get your POV - the brake pads for the Jeep Compass (not that it is comparable to big bikes) that I own cost half of what the pads for this bike costs. I personally don't think a car like a Honda City is comparable to any of the big bikes despite similar pricing. The performance that these big bikes pack are comparable to supercars, despite their small price tags.

This 12L INR Tiger Sport 660 (and the Tiger Sport isn't even a particularly fast big bike in the price bracket) packs 388 bhp/ton, with tested 4.26 seconds to 100, which puts the performance above cars like the much praised BMW M340i which has a claimed 4.4 seconds to 100. So the stopping power and materials needed are much more potent than in a Honda City as well.

That said, I don't think the prices are proportional to the performance offered. Many other factors also come into play to have such astronomical prices for big bike parts, like -

Volumes - This is a low volumes, niche product segment which negates economies of scale as with mass manufactured products like the Honda City.
Market positioning- Big bikes are positioned for the upper middle class and the rich as against the family positioning of cars in the same price bracket. And some middle class folks like me who are crazy to take loan for these
Taxation/ No localisation - Most parts for these big bikes are imported, which increases the tax component in the pricing and also brings the currency conversion rates.

Even the labour is significantly More expensive for these bikes unfortunately- the same Triumph dealership charges a fraction of the labour cost for a 400cc than a 660cc+ bike.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th December 2023 at 18:36.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 15:00   #133
BHPian

Quote:

Service Experience #5: First annual service @13k kms
Khivraj Triumph, Electronic City

PS: Shoutout to BHPian Raskolnikov.R who came up to chat at the service center and gave us company for long after this work was done. Was a lovely discussion - glad you are enjoying the Speed 400! All the best for your upcoming ride - Ride safe [/i]
Thank you, @CrazyDriver!

It was delightful to meet you and your friend on Saturday. I apologize for the delayed response.
Unfortunately, my trip got canceled at the last moment. Life's like that!
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 17:05   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov.R View Post
Thank you, @CrazyDriver!

It was delightful to meet you and your friend on Saturday. I apologize for the delayed response.
Unfortunately, my trip got canceled at the last moment. Life's like that!
Hope all well?

But yes life is like that! Even our plan had to be completely dropped / re-booked in another direction due to the floods in Kanyakumari and the rising Covid concern at Kerala borders.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 18:31   #135
Team-BHP Support

Teaser from the year end ride starting today -

One bike to tame them all! | Part - II | My Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Edit: 15,000 kms up!-img20231221wa0012.jpg

Realized one thing about the bike today. The tank range is more than estimate shows! The maximum range that ever shows up in the bike is 370kms - but today we covered ~360 kms after a full tank and the DTE shows another 80ish left.

DTE is accurate, but seems to top out the prediction at 370kms every time.

Average FE stands at 25 kmpl. Benefits of riding in a group.

Quote:
Walked in to Bikenbiker today for another requirement and noticed these. Picked up - looks much better quality than the Amazon one, hopefully this will last much longer as well.

Cost 499/-
Brand - Byke iT!
Unfortunately this also fell off somewhere within 250 kms of use.

I guess these won't work with the Grip Puppies installed. I had these successfully installed long-term on the Versys, but the Versys didnt have grip puppies.

Will just drop this idea altogether and look at some of the aftermarket cruise control options instead.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st December 2023 at 18:51.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks