Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2004, 15:32   #1
BHPian

Hey BHPians..... I own a 1994 Honda CBR 400 hurricane, has clocked over 23000 and is in good condition. Just curious to know how much is the current worth in our Indian market. Not planning to sell it at the moment though.
Thanks people.
Old 27th July 2004, 17:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hey Dan,

Well, firstly, it would help if you knew what model you had yourself! lol...

The CBR400 Hurricane was never produced in '94. The "Hurricane" name was dropped at the end of 1989, so there's no way your bike could be manufactured in '94. Maybe you meant it was imported into India in this year.

The Hurricane's successor - the CBR 400 rr - was a much better bike, with a stiffer frame, swingarm and more power. There are 2 models for the rr as well, the older tri arm and the newer gullarm.

The Gullarm fetches the most on the market as it looks better and is ofcourse a newer model. Prices for good condition bikes are as follows:

Hurricane 400: about 1.7-1.9 lakhs IF its is really mint condition. Considering your bike has done 23,000km (which is quite a bit for a 400cc bike), the value would obviosly drop. Only a proper inspection of the bike would really answer your question though.

Tri-arm 400 rr: These would retail between 2.1 - 2.6 lakhs, again depending on condition.

Gullarm 400rr: A really good gullarm with low mileage would be close to the 3 lakh mark.

Again, these prices would vary depending on the city, condition of the tyres (which is a large expense), suspension etc.

Cheers,
Rtech
Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2004, 19:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey rtech , justconfused , why a 94 model ( a 10 year old bike)can cost upto 3 laks
that too a 400 cc bike.

We get Yamaha R6 2002 and the CBR 600 F4 2003 for 5- 6 laks..
R6 brand new import is at 8 laks with full duty and stuffo. totally fficial import
Seen a red cbr 600 F4 or F6 in Matunga at in Bombay the shop at King Circle...forgot the name though..it was a 2002 model
the price quoted was 5.5 lak on road.,, which i thinkwould be 5 on table dicussions

Actually however mint the bike maybe the bike should not be more than 125000 for a 10 year old bike.thats the max i would say.
and this is a 400 cc bike.though a good bike with the honda tag..
its no antic or a rare piece of machinery...

one month old yellow ducati 929 was retailing for 5.75 laks in Punne before some 3 months . the bike was a 2003 manufactured brand new import...done only 2000 kms ...saw it for sale in Pune camp area

Thats just my way of thinking .dont have much knowledge on these SBK's
Old 27th July 2004, 21:41   #4
BHPian

Hey Rtech,

It looks like you know more than me about my bike dude. Thanks anyway.
Oh ya! one more thing Rtech: I was wondering since you have so much knowledge about these sbks and their pricing could you please let me know the price range of famous bike models in India. Right from the 250s till the busa.
I know that the make and model and year of manufacture all acts while determining the price tag of these awesome machines, so approx. pricing will also do.
Take your time mate......no hurry.

Old 28th July 2004, 12:23   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Hey rtech , justconfused , why a 94 model ( a 10 year old bike)can cost upto 3 laks that too a 400 cc bike.
Hi, Dipen. Well,I can't really answer why it would sell for so much, but hte fact is, there are people out there who pay that, hence the market value!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Actually however mint the bike maybe the bike should not be more than 125000 for a 10 year old bike.thats the max i would say.
Dude, I'm with on on this!! Having bought and owned a '95 GSX600 for less than 1 lakh (USD2000/-) I just can't comprhend spending that much on a 10- year old 400cc bike. But, thats what a closed market does for you and we have no choice but to live with it. That is, till we start getting manufacture imported CBU's for sale on which we can get loans. That will send the grey market bike sector prices dropping!! ooooh, I can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]one month old yellow ducati 929 was retailing for 5.75 laks in Punne
You probably mean a Ducati 999 or is it a Honda 929?? IMO, owning a Ducati in India is like owning a Ferrari...it looks great, but is a pain to ride and hell to look after!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]could you please let me know the price range of famous bike models in India. Right from the 250s till the busa.
Dan...!! Thats a tough call and covers a wide range. ITs really hard to do that coz it varies so much according to the city, the year and its condition, but from what I've seen in my hunt for a sbk, this is a rough idea:

Twin Cyl 400 (CB400 etc) '80-'90: 50,000 - 80,000
CBR 250 rr: 2-2.5
400rr: 2-2.9
600 hurricane: 2 L
600 f2-f4: 3.2 - 4.5
600 f4i (fuel injected):5
750: not many around so cant really put a price
900-1000 (CBR 929/959 , R1, GSXR1000) almost new: 5.5 - 7
Hayabusa/ZX12R/Blackbird XX/ : 5.6-8 depending on the model year.

Ofcourse, if you go and ask the dealers, they will give you some ridiculous figures!! It takes a long time and a lot of work to find a good sbk for a good price in India!!

....still looking...

Rt
Old 28th July 2004, 12:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ July 28 2004,10:53)]You probably mean a Ducati 999 or is it a Honda 929?? IMO, owning a Ducati in India is like owning a Ferrari...it looks great, but is a pain to ride and hell to look after!
Rtech , mistake on my side...it was the ducati 998 or the 999....not just sure ..it was 3 months back.

Btw ,,,, can u tell me more abt a ducati ,,, specs, etcand why do u call it the ferrari type....just curious

and why is it pain to ride??? and why difficult to maintain ,,
more details from u Rtech
Old 28th July 2004, 13:13   #7
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]why do u call it the ferrari type
Its Italian. Its got good looks. And its expensive.
Old 28th July 2004, 13:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

hey , Dan ..some pics of yr 400 man...
some specs
some timings...
some stories..
some special notes.
if not a 400 , what next in the stable??.....
Old 28th July 2004, 13:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

V12, How much does a ducati cost..brand new 999 with all duties and total official import....no jhol.

isnt it in the same segment as the CRR 1000 RR, ZX-12 r, hayabusa, R1

any othere specialities of the ducati apart from being rarely seen in India.
Old 28th July 2004, 14:20   #10
BHPian

Hey Dipen
I will definitely put up pics, specs, times... etc. That is something which i want to do from a long time. The sad part is that i'm too busy and hardly get time. But i'll surely put them up in a couple of days.
As far as your quote about the Ducati 999, let me tell you that a brand new Duc 999 may cost somewhere around 13 lacs (if i'm not mistaken). These machines are exotics and as rtech mentioned it is equal to a ferrari.
Old 28th July 2004, 15:06   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Btw ,,,, can u tell me more abt a ducati ,,, specs, etcand why do u call it the ferrari type....just curious
Well, Dipen...I compared the Ducati to a Ferrari for a number of reasons.
1. they are both Italian
2. Both are race bred
3. Both are really made to perform on the track with limited compromises made towards everyday practicality
4. Both are expensive in their respective markets
5. Both are expensive to maintain
6. Both look amazing in red!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]and why is it pain to ride??? and why difficult to maintain ,,
Well, the Ducati especially the older 916-996 version was really a track tool. The riding position placed most of your body weight on your wrists, great for the track where you need the extra weight to enable the front tyre to grip more, but its really painful out on the street.

Then there is the dry clutch which really demand a tough forearm!! A few minutes in Bombay traffic would be enough to get you sweating and your arm throbing! Your knees are higher than your wrists and the pillion seat is all but non existant!

The Duke is known to be a finiky beast. Electrical gremlins can creep up on you. The desmo valves require frequent adjustment and checking for them to function right.

Then ofcourse there's that price. Like Dan said, they retail for above Rs10 lakhs!! Thats a lot of money for a bike IMO!! But, you look at one and you understand why. Sure the Jap bikes are faster and handle jsut as well, but for pure unadulterated riding pleasure, it has to be a Duke.

Rtech
Old 28th July 2004, 15:18   #12
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

i've heard from someone that the 999 would cost around 13-16 lakhs without jhol.
Old 28th July 2004, 16:21   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Awesome stuff Rtech. That one post of yours doubled my knowledge of motorbikes

Is there any new Ducati that has very recently come out, which rivals the mid-range Jap bikes? I remember a buddy of mine (from Boston) pick up a brand new Ducati for $9999. He was telling me how Ducati took it out to make it more everyday friendly etc. etc.

GTO
Old 28th July 2004, 18:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

awesome ...Rtech ..
tusi great ho.......
one think i disliked abt the ducati is the lack of pillion seat.
though its a compromise a real rider is willing to make.
Old 28th July 2004, 18:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Is there any new Ducati that has very recently come out, which rivals the mid-range Jap bikes? I remember a buddy of mine (from Boston) pick up a brand new Ducati for $9999. He was telling me how Ducati took it out to make it more everyday friendly etc. etc.
Well GTO, Ducati do make comfortable bikes too!!

They have the Monster 600 & 900 which are great naked bikes for the city with an upright seating position and cafe racer styling.

The ST3 which is the sports tourer of the lot

The Multi Strada which is an oddball!! Uses the 916 engine though so its F-A-S-T! Perfect for India if you ask me!

And ofcourse, the track ready 749/999 series which dominate the World Superbikes and Supersports series

Ask your budd which one he got.

Rtech
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks