Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2008, 03:32   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
In '05 my friend bought an '02 VTX 1800 and has never had any problems with it. Hasnt even changed the clutch plates since he got it. He lives in Fremont, CA and rides pretty regularly to work. These japanese bikes are bullet proof! Especially Honda's.
Any reason why you'd mention clutch plates in particular?
Old 1st February 2008, 03:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
Any reason why you'd mention clutch plates in particular?
Yes, because as you might know that the M109R is super popular here in India and those bikes are burning clutch plates like crazy. I just got 5 sets of those from the US for some people.

Keeping in mind that my friend bought his bike used and has ridden it regularly for 3 years since, is good clutch plate life(for such torque monsters). Remember, the M109R was launched in '06.
Old 1st February 2008, 08:01   #18
BHPian

Hi Hareesh ... I am living in the US .. have a 03 gsxR 600 ...
first, let me ask, do you have experience with 600cc plus bikes ..
if NOT, then I would not recommend anything above 600cc .. ALSO ..
how far is your work .. driving everyday for hours on sportbike in traffic can be a bit grueling ... Hope this helps you .. take the weather in consideration as well .. Please wear all the gear ! Enjoy ~
Old 1st February 2008, 21:15   #19

Thanks for all the feedback guys...I have never bought a used vehicle till now so just want to keep it that way. No offence to anybody.

Nitin, I am from Austin but my work keeps me in dallas during weekdays. I took my rider course through Texas Rider and they had $20 off for Dallas location but most of them charge $190.

Commute to work is about 5 mins and once I get used to the bike I might do very occasional ride to Austin which is about 200 miles but for now I dont even have that on my mind.

My experience with super bikes is zero except for few rentals off late...even I started with 600 but for some unknown reasons my grey matter started insisting on 1000cc
Old 2nd February 2008, 00:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Go ahead and buy what you feel like. I guess we must learn from our mistakes..
Old 2nd February 2008, 01:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Being in Texas,you'll get to ride for atleast 7-8 months of the year. Good that you are in Dallas/Austin,the weather is much better as it stays dry for the most part. Come to Houston,and its a totally different story.

$190 seems like the price everyone here quotes. I'm thinking of going in for the course the 3rd week of this month. God help me with it!

Since you've always had new vehicles,I'd say go for it. Look for good deals,and if you'r able to find a dealer in Austin,it might save you some money on the TT&L (thats what someone once told me,though I don't know how it could be lower.)

Good luck,and keep us posted.
Old 2nd February 2008, 04:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

The MSF course is easy, my friends wife completed one on the Honda Nighthawk 250. She was saying there were other women there on VFR 800's and VTX 1300's.
Old 2nd February 2008, 04:24   #23
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think you should stick to the 600 for a while till you get accustomed to high speed riding... And since you do the OCCASIONAL 200 miles then the 600 it is...city wise the 1000 is way to much for its own good.
Old 2nd February 2008, 05:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you go for the VFR with ABS?
Old 6th February 2008, 18:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Think only "600". Remember, you cannot get away from stuff in the US as you can in India(In case you crash and someone else is involved). Even in the US the 1000's are too powerful. Just stick to bikes like the CBR F2, F3 or the F4i which are very rider friendly than most other bikes. Besides, there is no point buying a new bike when you are going to be there only for 6 months(correct me if I'm wrong).

Other than the Honda's, I would recommend bikes like the bandit 600, FZ-6, Katana 600/750, ZZR 600. Unfortunately, the US does not get most of these bikes with ABS like the UK gets.
Yeah, your right man especially if this is your first bike, I suggest you stick first on the 600cc and then when you're used to such power that will be the time to upgrade to a higher displacement bike. As of now 600cc is a good bike to start with.

Note from Moderator - Please do not post in all bold text.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th February 2008 at 20:18. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 8th February 2008, 07:54   #26

OMG you people! lisn up dude....you want a bike for 6months? i say buy the 600cc...cause 600s have a very good resale market value!
about 2 hours ago...i was talking to my friend who owns a CBR600 2007.... he was like people dont realize its not the extra money that matters...
any person who is earning and is ready to buy a 600cbr can wait for 3 more months collect and buy a new 1000CBR....but people dont realize the dirfference.

OK a 1000 might be fast in a straight line...but a 600 can whoop an 1000cc *** on bends, corners and turns. and besides its more fun on a 600CC then 1000cc. trust me.
While bending even if u pull the throtlle a bit...by saw3-4 degrees? the 1000cc Engine pumps a load of power to the wheels and the rear wheel starts spinning faster then the front wheel!
And besides your a new rider...In US i dont think ull get any company to give you insurance!
Hope this helps...keep me updates...hey btw where in US are you right now?
Old 8th February 2008, 14:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studboy_441 View Post
OMG you people! lisn up dude....you want a bike for 6months? i say buy the 600cc...cause 600s have a very good resale market value!
about 2 hours ago...i was talking to my friend who owns a CBR600 2007.... he was like people dont realize its not the extra money that matters...
any person who is earning and is ready to buy a 600cbr can wait for 3 more months collect and buy a new 1000CBR....but people dont realize the dirfference.

OK a 1000 might be fast in a straight line...but a 600 can whoop an 1000cc *** on bends, corners and turns. and besides its more fun on a 600CC then 1000cc. trust me.
While bending even if u pull the throtlle a bit...by saw3-4 degrees? the 1000cc Engine pumps a load of power to the wheels and the rear wheel starts spinning faster then the front wheel!
And besides your a new rider...In US i dont think ull get any company to give you insurance!
Hope this helps...keep me updates...hey btw where in US are you right now?
@Studboy - I completely disagree with you on this one. Having owned a 750 and then a 1000, I regret not having bought the 1000 in the first place. Particularly in the US with 80 mph + speeds that everyone seems to be doing , a litre class is definitely a lot bigger and stabler and has enough torque for a new rider to take things slow.

It does no such thing as doing wheelspins at 3-4 degreee throttle. 30-40 degree maybe..

Fundamentally treat a 1000 with utmost respect and you will be fine

Last edited by prabhuav : 8th February 2008 at 14:56.
Old 8th February 2008, 21:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quite true,prabhu.
I've not (yet) been on a bike in the US,but with enough of research & people to talk to,they all vouch for a bigger bike once they've been on a 500-750cc bike for a while. With confidence comes the skill to handle a bigger bike,and those ones are really sturdy & give a good feel on the freeways.

studboy,if you read the thread from the begining,you'll find that harish is in Austin/Dallas for the most part.
Old 9th February 2008, 20:39   #29
BHPian

I have no experience with riding sports bikes though.
Its some thing I've heard a lot of times, any experienced guy will tell ya...
No matter how much experience one has with bikes they should get accustomed to driving a 400-600cc before moving to a 800-1000cc, coz of the phenomenal difference b/w the two and the phenomenal difference b/w a regular bike we are used to and a 600...

And completely off topic.....I've seen these guys who come down from the states and go like," Oh man! Bikes are not safe. they should be banned. Back in the states no one can use bikes on regular roads & in the city only in some suburbs" how true is that about the states, i thought only the winter is a problem....Can people use them to ride to work everyday as they do here?
Old 11th February 2008, 16:02   #30
BHPian

if you are keen on 600, ride a triumph before you decide on the brand.

Contrary to what many people say on using 600 before moving to 1000, the risk is the same while riding a sport bike.

a litre class bike has more usable torque than a 600. on a regular ride, a 1000 is anyday better than 600 as you dont need to keep the revs up all the time. try a 1000RR and a 600RR and you will get what I am trying to say.

give a try on the SV650 to get a taste of V-Twin experience.

ultimately you have to buy what you feel confident on. If you ask selection questions 0n the forum, its quite natural that you will get lots of conflicting answers. Since you are the one who will be riding, after considering the feedbacks from others, check it out your self, and see if it is matching to your riding style.

Some of the questions you should be asking your self before deciding

is it just for commute?
are you planning to occasionally take it to a track day?
are you a canyon carver?
is looks important to you ?
are you interested in riding all kind of roads? ( if yes, take a look at GS series from BMW and also at advrider.com for different supermotards like KTM and husquarna)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks