Team-BHP - Legality of my Yoshimura Carbon Fiber sound levels
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Legality of my Yoshimura Carbon Fiber sound levels (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/38725-legality-my-yoshimura-carbon-fiber-sound-levels.html)

Could anyone tell me how I go about measuring the decibel levels of my Blade silencer and having it Certified?

I was nailed by the cops the other day and managed with not a little charm to worm my way out of a tight spot. But, I know the Yosh is legal in the US, which brings me to the question: what are legally accepted levels set by the Government and who is authorised to certify this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by netchef (Post 804635)
Could anyone tell me how I go about measuring the decibel levels of my Blade silencer and having it Certified?

I was nailed by the cops the other day and managed with not a little charm to worm my way out of a tight spot. But, I know the Yosh is legal in the US, which brings me to the question: what are legally accepted levels set by the Government and who is authorised to certify this?

Rajeev, not a single aftermarket exhaust is legal in the US(the manufacturers will usually have this disclaimer on their website). It just depends on which state you are in and how the cops react to it depending on whether you are making noise purposely or not.

In India, we are lucky that the cops are not as strict as in the US about this. You happened to be unlucky that you were caught for it. You probably revved it at the wrong time :). Trust me, there will never be a rule which will legalize these exhausts in this country because its already so noisy. You just need to keep an eye out for the cops and rev accordingly and my personal suggestion is to always ride in the lane to the extreme right. Cops will always catch someone who is easy to catch i.e. someone who is riding to the left where they usually stand.

No exhaust is loud until you want it to be. My bikes exhaust was extremely loud but only the moment you went past 4000 rpm. You see, these older exhausts tended to be very loud(that includes yours). If you hear the Yoshimura's of today, they are very quite. Except the RS-5 underseat for the 600/1000 RR and the R-55 for the new gixxer 600/750.

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6 (Post 804760)
Rajeev, not a single aftermarket exhaust is legal in the US(the manufacturers will usually have this disclaimer on their website). It just depends on which state you are in and how the cops react to it depending on whether you are making noise purposely or not.

In India, we are lucky that the cops are not as strict as in the US about this. You happened to be unlucky that you were caught for it. You probably revved it at the wrong time :). Trust me, there will never be a rule which will legalize these exhausts in this country because its already so noisy. You just need to keep an eye out for the cops and rev accordingly and my personal suggestion is to always ride in the lane to the extreme right. Cops will always catch someone who is easy to catch i.e. someone who is riding to the left where they usually stand.

No exhaust is loud until you want it to be. My bikes exhaust was extremely loud but only the moment you went past 4000 rpm. You see, these older exhausts tended to be very loud(that includes yours). If you hear the Yoshimura's of today, they are very quite. Except the RS-5 underseat for the 600/1000 RR and the R-55 for the new gixxer 600/750.

Ok Thanks. Hope they have a decent menu in jail.

The limit is 80 decibels for any 2 wheeler. Anything above would be illegal. For cars and commercial vehicles, its 82 and 85 decibels repectively.

Try to source a Sound Level Meter to measure the sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 805223)
The limit is 80 decibels for any 2 wheeler. Anything above would be illegal. For cars and commercial vehicles, its 82 and 85 decibels repectively.

I think LBM might be able to help you sourcing the sound level meter Internet ke Bawarchi ji!

Hmm You can get a Sound level meter at any good reputed shop who carries good Instrumentation. My friend has a 50-130 db one god enough for your job.

I also had Term Lab which is used for professional sound measuring which start from 120 db and goes till 180 db +. It belongs to Ajay Bhai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 805290)
I also had Term Lab which is used for professional sound measuring which start from 120 db and goes till 180 db +. It belongs to Ajay Bhai.

And it only measures bass. So it wont give an accurate reading for exhaust sound.

Quote:

Such testing for noise levels should be done at the factory for stock vehicles but I doubt they must be doing it. The three-wheelers running on diesel make such an obscenely loud noise, it has to be way over 85dB. And thats just the small fellas. I have heard dilapidated buses and trucks that manage far more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by netchef (Post 805035)
Ok Thanks. Hope they have a decent menu in jail.

What makes you think you'll go to jail? :)

As far as USA goes I don't think cops care as much unless you're in really small town where the police have nothing else to do. Then they'll pull you over even if you fart.
It maybe be illegal to have aftermarket pipes but I doubt they care as much unless its crazy loud. I've seen a couple of zx-10r' s which had stock pipes that did not have a muffler and the remaining was given a slant cut to look like moto gp. LOUDD!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by highwayblaze (Post 805397)
As far as USA goes I don't think cops care as much unless you're in really small town where the police have nothing else to do. Then they'll pull you over even if you fart.

That cracked me up,Bhupi!! No exhausts for the fart,I suppose!lol:

Rajeev,I remember reading this article in TOI,sometime in 2002 about the noise levels of some Indian bikes. A rule was to be passed that every traffic inspector carry a book that indicated the various exhausts available,and its respective dB ratings. Did the cop who caught you have anything to prove that your bike's exhaust was too loud (apart from the obvious growl that's heard when the motor revs)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 805317)
And it only measures bass. So it wont give an accurate reading for exhaust sound.

Ya it is used to measure freq below 256 hz only. :)

Also in which weighting are you going to measure A,B,C,X

Quote:

Very true. One of the merits of living in Detroit where you have open-pipe muscle cars running around all summer with cops giving these guys a thumbs-up sometimes!!

Quote:

mail4ajo: obliged, Sir. My issue is not so much finding a sound level meter as getting a certificate from an chap/garage/equipment authorised by the RTO to issue them, much like the Emission Certificates we can obtain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 805229)
I think LBM might be able to help you sourcing the sound level meter Internet ke Bawarchi ji!

iraghava: Didn't have the foggiest notion what LBM meant till I spied the next post. Gratis, Sir. Internet ke Bawarchi ji!: you make that sound VERY suave and kinky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 805290)
Hmm You can get a Sound level meter at any good reputed shop who carries good Instrumentation. My friend has a 50-130 db one god enough for your job.

Thanks, LBM.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 805317)

Such testing for noise levels should be done at the factory for stock vehicles but I doubt they must be doing it. The three-wheelers running on diesel make such an obscenely loud noise, it has to be way over 85dB. And thats just the small fellas. I have heard dilapidated buses and trucks that manage far more.

Bass&Trouble: You're telling me? The darned autos and yes, those single-pot diesel three wheelers transporters make one cacophony. The last time the cops questioned me about my exhaust note, that's exactly what I pointed out, and it so happened an especially noisy auto was passing by at just that moment, so I made my point and they waved me off.
Appreciate your inputs, sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6 (Post 805345)
What makes you think you'll go to jail? :)

Sheer sensationalism, Sir.

Quote:

It maybe be illegal to have aftermarket pipes but I doubt they care as much unless its crazy loud. I've seen a couple of zx-10r' s which had stock pipes that did not have a muffler and the remaining was given a slant cut to look like moto gp. LOUDD!!!

Ha ha. Gone with the wind?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 805418)
That cracked me up,Bhupi!! No exhausts for the fart,I suppose!lol:

Rajeev,I remember reading this article in TOI,sometime in 2002 about the noise levels of some Indian bikes. A rule was to be passed that every traffic inspector carry a book that indicated the various exhausts available,and its respective dB ratings. Did the cop who caught you have anything to prove that your bike's exhaust was too loud (apart from the obvious growl that's heard when the motor revs)?

None, Sir. He hadn't a prayer and knew he was on thin ice. I was actually clocking 160kmph which is a fair bit in the middle of the city (Cubbon Road, if you know Bangalore), but he couldn't haul me up on that score as he hadn't a radar gun, but the Blade does bark at those revs (3rd gear), so twas the next best thing for him.
Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 805451)
Ya it is used to measure freq below 256 hz only. :)

Also in which weighting are you going to measure A,B,C,X

Too technical for me, sir.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ananthkamath (Post 805568)
Very true. One of the merits of living in Detroit where you have open-pipe muscle cars running around all summer with cops giving these guys a thumbs-up sometimes!!

The City of Testosterone? Some Bangalore cops lionize me in similar fashion. Once they figured I was an old geezer, I suppose, they realised I was harmless and it wouldn't cost anything to humour me a bit. Many simply stop me to ask 1) how much the bike cost, 2) what she consumed, 3) how old I was, 4) how I get her on the stand, 5) isn't it frustrating to ride in the city.

Firstly the cops cannot fine you unless they have measured the levels on a dB meter. The constables ears do not count. I doubt they would have issued you a receipt, just intimidated you into paying them a bribe.

If you are interested in knowing how much your can lets loose, I have a dB meter, dossiometer and an audio analyser for you to play around with at the office. Drop me a line and come down anytime.

Cheers

Robin

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedcrazy (Post 806331)
Firstly the cops cannot fine you unless they have measured the levels on a dB meter. The constables ears do not count. I doubt they would have issued you a receipt, just intimidated you into paying them a bribe.

If you are interested in knowing how much your can lets loose, I have a dB meter, dossiometer and an audio analyser for you to play around with at the office. Drop me a line and come down anytime.

Cheers

Robin

Hey, SpeedCrazy, that's kind of you. I might just take you up on the offer.
Thanks,
Rajeev