Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 17:22   #1
BANNED

R1 or MT-01?

Hello all, I have moved to Chennai couple o days back as I have got a job here. Am willing to buy a Yamaha soon but am unable to decide between R1 and MT-01. I have ridden both these bikes extensively, but still unable to decide myself as I have ridden them on Bangalore roads which are far superior than Chennai.

Also, the heat is too much in Chennai which am worried may strain the engine components.Is the liquid cooled R1 better or the MT-01 air-cooled for such conditions?

I will be riding 50kms a day, so don't want to be straining my body and also expect good efficiency from the bike.

If not either of the above, think I can wait for the Hayabusa to slot in our market. Anybody has concrete information on its launch date?

Also to handle bad roads,pot holes - R1 or MT-01? which has a more comfortable setup?

I have accelerated on both bikes from standstill in second gear, MT-01 pulls and pulls like crazy all the way to 110kmph! R1 takes its own sweet time to get to the hotspot, think it will be cumbersome in traffic, but the looks are to die for.

Please brothers,, all your valuable suggestions are welcome!
Old 30th July 2008, 17:39   #2
BHPian

Hi, I suppose the choice between an R1 and MT01 mostly lies on your choice of whether u want to be seen on a race bike or a city bike. The MT01 is more of a city bike or maybe a semi cruiser types. If it is for short rides then i suppose R1 should fit the bill, but if your planning to do long distances regularly then MT01 should be a more comfortable ride. I'd rather prefer the R1 for the mean race machine looks, especially with a blue and white combo

Last edited by Rotorhead : 30th July 2008 at 17:42.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Hello all, I have moved to Chennai couple o days back as I have got a job here. Am willing to buy a Yamaha soon but am unable to decide between R1 and MT-01. I have ridden both these bikes extensively, but still unable to decide myself as I have ridden them on Bangalore roads which are far superior than Chennai.

Also, the heat is too much in Chennai which am worried may strain the engine components.Is the liquid cooled R1 better or the MT-01 air-cooled for such conditions?

I will be riding 50kms a day, so don't want to be straining my body and also expect good efficiency from the bike.

If not either of the above, think I can wait for the Hayabusa to slot in our market. Anybody has concrete information on its launch date?

Also to handle bad roads,pot holes - R1 or MT-01? which has a more comfortable setup?

I have accelerated on both bikes from standstill in second gear, MT-01 pulls and pulls like crazy all the way to 110kmph! R1 takes its own sweet time to get to the hotspot, think it will be cumbersome in traffic, but the looks are to die for.

Please brothers,, all your valuable suggestions are welcome!
Go in for the MT-01 if you are doing 50km everyday. Lol. On 2nd it should hit 150km/h or more without much strain
Old 30th July 2008, 18:33   #4
BHPian

Vittal, the R1 is a track bike, the power kicks in only after 6k rpm (not sure of the figure, but it's somewhere around there), if you want a fully clad bike, similar to the R1 in the 1litre segment go for the Honda instead, good power across all ranges. With the R1 you will be revving harder to get in the power range. The MT01 however is in a different league (street bike), it's all about torque with that bike & yes it's got OODLES of torque, & suits you perfectly for city riding. It will give your wrists more relief than riding a R1 for 50kms everyday.
On the other hand you are worried about the FE.......well, sedate riding & SBK's just don't compute. You will lose out on the piss in the pants fun if you watch your FE at every click.
No doubt the R1 is an amazing bike, but definitely not for daily commuting bro!!
Congrats on whatever you decide to purchase.
Old 30th July 2008, 18:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Vittal, I would suggest the R1 since Chennai has a track close by and you could take the SBK over to the track. But thats only if you are itching to unleash all that power on track.

In case you would not want to take it to the track often, then the MT01 would be the obvious choice. R1 may not entice you on the road as traffic would limit the rev's a lot. It can be painful to ride an SBK for 50 kms in traffic everyday. And you can still take the MT to track too.

Quote:
and also expect good efficiency from the bike.
If you mean fuel efficiency then both MT01 and R1 are out. R15 would most definitely fit here. (no offence).
Old 30th July 2008, 20:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you're married, your wife will appreciate the MT .
Old 30th July 2008, 21:13   #7
BHPian

Hey,

MT-01 was initially a concept power cruiser.It stands apart from the
normal cruisers due to its design.Instead of hiding the engine inside the panels here the engine and mechanicals are the design.Its more a stripped version of a cruiser which makes it truely beautiful.It has a massive, air-cooled, 1,670cc V-twin powerplant that produces lots of soul stirring torque.

The R1 where as is a true sports bike It is the most powerful sportbike you can buy. Its heart is a 20-valve 998cc 4-cylinder engine.But make no mistake, if you have the guts, twist the right grip until the tach hits 13,000 rpm and the R1 will turn your hair white.

I have a friend who just bought a R1 and man its something.

Why dont you do a vote.

My vote is for Yamaha R1 Black
Old 30th July 2008, 21:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well i ve ridden the MT 01 quite extensively.And an R1 couple of times but over extended distance.Keeping your parameters in view i think the MT 01 suits your need better.R1 is no doubt a stunner to look at butthe MT 01 also looks straight out of the concept board.Those rear pipes and brake light setup looks very nice.So i guess MT is the one.
cheers.
Old 30th July 2008, 22:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxj2005 View Post
It is the most powerful sportbike you can buy. Its heart is a 20-valve 998cc 4-cylinder engine.
Wrong .

1. The R1 is not the most powerful bike in its class now. Its the new ZX-10R.

2. From '07 onwards the R1 has a 16 valve engine.

Last edited by straight6 : 30th July 2008 at 22:26.
Old 31st July 2008, 00:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

The MT 01 and R1 are apples and oranges.

MT 01 is more suited for 50 kmph primarily because of the riding position.

If you are looking to have a big engine bike to strut along to get from point A to point B - go for the MT 01

If you are looking to tear up the highways once in a while and like aditya said, if you plan to hit the track on weekends. Its the R1 for you.

Fuel efficiency ? I and many others dont even bother or have a clue whats the difference. 10kmpl or 15kmpl or 20kmpl for a bike does it really matter, when you spend 12L On road for a two wheeler?
Old 31st July 2008, 09:14   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
The MT 01 and R1 are apples and oranges.

MT 01 is more suited for 50 kmph primarily because of the riding position.

If you are looking to have a big engine bike to strut along to get from point A to point B - go for the MT 01

If you are looking to tear up the highways once in a while and like aditya said, if you plan to hit the track on weekends. Its the R1 for you.

Fuel efficiency ? I and many others dont even bother or have a clue whats the difference. 10kmpl or 15kmpl or 20kmpl for a bike does it really matter, when you spend 12L On road for a two wheeler?

Oh yes, am looking forward to lots of highway riding between Chennai and Bangalore, but you have suggested R1 for highway runs, will it not make the rider a hunchback after several hours of riding? I know of the SBK and MotoGP sessions lasting for over an hour and a half but I think they use some kind of protection to keep their spine stiff..

BTW, thank you all for your valuable inputs, think am gonna zero in on MT-01 come this Saturday.

It was my dream to own a superbike since college days but years after think a Bruiser may be a wise decision after all. For me, comfort and safety first, performance is my last priority!
Old 31st July 2008, 09:47   #12
BHPian

I think the MT 01 is more suited to your need, and by the way I would choose the MT 01 over the R1 any day, the MT 01 is so differnt compared to other bikes and it really stands out amoung other bikes due to it's unique looks.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Good decision vittalnrv MT01 would suit your needs to the T.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...I know of the SBK and MotoGP sessions lasting for over an hour and a half but I think they use some kind of protection to keep their spine stiff..
Actually i dont think that affects their posture / provides much support. The function of the protective spine in their suit is to prevent impact to the rider's spine during a collision, and also to prevent the rider's spine from bending over backwards more than it is naturally supposed to (during an accident).

cya
R
Old 31st July 2008, 12:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all, I have moved to Chennai couple o days back as I have got a job here. Am willing to buy a Yamaha soon but am unable to decide between R1 and MT-01.

Welcome to Chennai bro. Go for the MT 01, since you would be riding 50 kms a day and forget about the fuel efficiency. You might hurt your back if you ride R1 for 50 kms a day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks