Team-BHP - Import regulations for bikes
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Import regulations for bikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/5724-import-regulations-bikes.html)

Hi

I have a very nice 1999 suzuki Gixxer 750 custom painted in very good condition. Actual cost at 1999 was around $8500. So if anyone can give me the best solution to get it to india from USA, I will be greatful. I have heard the Custom duty is around 125% . I think after depreciation it works up to around $2500. So I was wondering if it is an good thing for me to ship the bike back to india or to buy one there.

I love the bike and it is an crowd puller even here due to the custom sparkle paint and scorpions on it. I have done 184mph true GPS speed on it, thats around 295kmph. And its in mint condition. Any suggestion about which port to ship to chennai or mumbai, or any other suggestions are truly welcome.
Thanks

105% for a brand new bike and 100% fro a second hand bike is the import duty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman91
105% for a brand new bike and 100% fro a second hand bike is the import duty.

correction iceman the last time i was seeing the impport duty cost it said 80% for brand new bikes and 110% for used ones

Trying to get some feedback from anyone who has actually shipped from USA to india and dealt with customs. Any input would be nice :)

Thanks

so should the bike go around 5500$ go get in inda :confused: :confused:

hi there,

nice bike...If you've lived abroad for more than two years, you can import it under "Transfer of Residence" or TR as they call it.

The duty is around 25% for this.

Check out this site...

It gives you details on vehicle import.

Sorry, I don't have any first hand knowledge, I bought my bike here from a grey market dealer.

cheers

pc

Thanks for reply, Still checking around. What bike do you have andhow much did it cost?

any homologation rules on this ?

I have a 2003 R6.
Bought it brand new for 7 lakhs.

It was expensive since I wanted it straight out of the crate, and didn't want a bike assembled here.

Quote:

any homologation rules on this ?
No, no homologation for motorcycles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by epyupc
hi there,

nice bike...If you've lived abroad for more than two years, you can import it under "Transfer of Residence" or TR as they call it.

The duty is around 25% for this.

Check out this site...

It gives you details on vehicle import.

Sorry, I don't have any first hand knowledge, I bought my bike here from a grey market dealer.

cheers

pc

Couldn't find '25%' anywhere on the site.

Here's another site, it is the official customs page.
http://www.geocities.com/indiancusto...e/misc.htm#car
The duties given on this site are 88% for a new bike & 146% for an old one.

In my personal opinion, it is cheaper and easier to buy a bike here itself. Rest is up to u to decide.

A 750 gixxer of the year 1999 would cost you in the range of about 4.5 - 5 lacs depending on the condition as per current rates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp
correction iceman the last time i was seeing the impport duty cost it said 80% for brand new bikes and 110% for used ones

all i can say is check again.
in this months ACI this exact question is put up and they have replied with what i said.

hell now i too am quoting from ACI..... ;)
no hard feelings

This is a query from my friend currently in US ..
He needs info on importing a Sportsbike ...600 cc plus
Can someone help me out with

1- the import rules and regulations of bringing one from the states ?

2- Duty to be paid ?

3- Freight charges ?

4 - and what id he wishes to bring his bike to india for say 6 months and then take it back ? what is the procedure for that ?

thanks in advance

hey guys ...

am pulling this thread up again incase anyone who can help has missed viewing it ...
i really need some info on import regulations on a sports bike from the US ...

can anybody help ?

it s not at all practical to get a bike down , it s way cheaper to buy one from one of these dealers in india (not that their prices are reasonable too) .

the duty on a used bike is 100 or 110 % though , am sure this has ben discussed earlier in the forum so how about using the search function ?

manson .