Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 20:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Harley is perfectly suited for riding in India...much more so than a Busa or an R1.

What are you worried of?

Its not like you're going to be riding to work in thick traffic.
Old 8th October 2009, 20:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

one more thing, you will never get a comprehensive insurance on the bike given it's exclusivity, only third party (liability). so if you crash, it's coming of your own pocket and third party insurance form other party if possible.

But it's still worth it if you have a place to keep it and ride it well.
Old 8th October 2009, 21:48   #18
BANNED

Guys, as you all know, the ride is only as good as the road is. If you are expecting to ride in rush hour (all the time?) Indian traffic, even a TVS Scooty can seem like hell. But depending on where you live, you will surely find a stretch where you can ride it like it was meant to be and get that warm glowing feeling in your heart.

I recently imported a Harley XL1200 N Nightster, ride mostly on NH47 between TN-KL, and since its my backyard, and I know the road, I absolutely have a blast. But then again, I am not into setting speed records, and bragging rights. I just love the feel of riding a V twin down winding stretches.

As far as importing used bikes, unless you are bringing it on TR, dont bother. Custom taxes for used bike is so much higher that often it works out more than that of brand new. If you have all the right paperwork, most critically, the Certificate of Conformity to EU emission standards, you can escape the 40% penalty and import for 88% tax.

Shrini78, since yours is customised, dont know if you will get out of paying the penalty. But if you are bringing on TR, I am not sure of the rules at all. I know only of direct import.
Old 9th October 2009, 00:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
If you have all the right paperwork, most critically, the Certificate of Conformity to EU emission standards, you can escape the 40% penalty and import for 88% tax.
I've all the necessary paper work like
Title on my name
Registration
Insurance
Notarized document saying bike belongs to me all the legal stuff

What is this Certificate of Conformity to EU emission standards, you can escape the 40% penalty?

The bike will be imported under TR from USA and how will or should I get this certificate?Do I need to get it
Old 9th October 2009, 00:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Shrini, sounds like the bike's been done up well. Could have some pics, while we'r discussing the options?
Thanks
Please go to this thread "INDIA harley founders's ride!"
and visit the last page I've put lots of pics
I'm planning to change paint job and some other mods like saddle bags,changing to chrome wheels,adding oil cooler kit,This is my winter project.
I dont wanna do anything now coz the riding time in Seattle is very less and I wanna ride as much as possible and obviously in Seattle winter it rians so will do the mods in my garage at my own pace
Old 9th October 2009, 00:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

How long can a bike be kept in on,while on a TR? Shrini, are you moving back to India for good, or for a couple of years?Depending on that,it may make sense to get it down on the TR.
Old 9th October 2009, 01:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
How long can a bike be kept in on,while on a TR? Shrini, are you moving back to India for good, or for a couple of years?Depending on that,it may make sense to get it down on the TR.
Been here for 8 years and counting.
Moving back to India after Jan 2010. Just holding back in US coz you need to own your bike atleast one year in USA before taking it back. I purchased it in Jan 09.
Atleast moving for good for now, Either ways if you take it in TR you cannot sell or do any dubious things for the next 2 years or you might end up going to Jail.
I'm not planning to do any of it.

I'm not a GC holder or a US citizen. Was here on F-1 now on H-1. Atleast for now going to India for good, not sure if I want to come back here or go to another country, but atleast for now I can say that i'm heading back EAST
Old 9th October 2009, 01:14   #23
BANNED

Like I said, am not entirely sure about the rules and regulations for TR import. Mine was a new 2009 model, and the only reason I was able to do so was because of Indian government's acceptance of EU emission standards for 800cc+ motorcycles, mainly at the insistence of Harley and G.W.'s govt., allowing individuals and dealers to legally import and register them.

When you look up customs rules and regulations, there is so much fine print, that all the info is not readily available. Most sites only say 80% for new bikes, but there is a clause that says bikes outside the 250-500cc range invites 40% penalty, and the only way to get out is to get the certificate of conformity. This certificate can be obtained for you from your Harley dealer because it has to be specific to your VIN number.

Shrini78, I dont think any of this will apply to you for a number of reasons. Firstly, since your bike is US spec, you will not get the EU spec certificate. Secondly, since your bike is modded, your original spec certificates wont be valid anyways. And lastly, hopefully, you will not need it at all for TR. Best to check with a local clearing house agent. From this forum alone, you can see that people have imported all kinds of cars and bikes that one wouldnt normally think was possible. So, all the best.
Old 9th October 2009, 02:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Been here for 8 years and counting.
Moving back to India after Jan 2010. Just holding back in US coz you need to own your bike atleast one year in USA before taking it back. I purchased it in Jan 09.
Atleast moving for good for now, Either ways if you take it in TR you cannot sell or do any dubious things for the next 2 years or you might end up going to Jail.
I'm not planning to do any of it.

I'm not a GC holder or a US citizen. Was here on F-1 now on H-1. Atleast for now going to India for good, not sure if I want to come back here or go to another country, but atleast for now I can say that i'm heading back EAST
Sounds good. I'm sure the move back will be for the good.
You might want to check with some of the members here, who deal with importing bikes. Think there are a handful of them,if I'm not mistaken.Atleast some of the guys have all the knowledge one needs. Did you go through the 'How to import a bike' thread?
Old 4th May 2011, 09:55   #25

Re: Ridin a Harley in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna mark View Post
Well, since you asked...
I couldn't find a picture of my bike, so here's one from the web.
Mine looked like this when I bought it in 1978, and was pretty much unchanged when it came to India in 1983.
It's still stock except for a monoshock conversion. I did that because Goa is hell on shocks, and I needed to import new ones every 2 years [local ones only lasted 3 weeks!].
When the monoshock is 10 or even 20% off, it doesn't make as much difference as unbalanced twin shocks.

I rode this thing like a madman for 20 years; I guess every road user in North Goa must have known me, as there were hardly any imported bikes for most of that time, and those that were there were kept at home as showpeices instead of being ridden.
Enfeilds had [have] 18-22HP, no suspension, and no brakes compared to the KZ [36HP].
Other than that there were Rajdoots and Jezdis. I killed them all, even when I had a passenger. I crashed a few times, but thanks to the luck of idiots, I'm still alive.
The Kawasaki rusted and corroded, but in all those years it only let me down 1 time, when the oil pump failed. My low pressure light went on, and I switched the engine off within a second, and there was no other damage. I got a new pump [a year later] and away it went.

If anyone wants the bike it is for sale, but at 32 years old, and in rough shape cosmetically, I don't expect anyone to really have interest.

Today, at 48, I am without a motorbike for the first time since I was 15. it's probably a good thing, as I'm only slightly less stupid now.

I wrote a little essay about animals on the road in India, and how to avoid crashing into them. I'll post it as a separate thread somewhere.
Hello there,
I too have the same bike,mines all original but has been eating dust for quite some time, a mechanic i employed opened the bike,i mean the engines been opened, i fired him for that but later i realised i didnt know where did he keep the parts,now i am having real difficulty in overhauling the bike. If you like you could contact me on vzamindar@yahoo.co.in, i am interesten in buying your bike...
Old 4th November 2011, 21:41   #26
BHPian

Chrome/Metal Parts: Sad but True

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

It's been 2.5yrs I rode my H-D in USA.
I didnt find any rust or it was only minimal that I could buff it.

Now I parked my bike in Chennai for 3 weeks and now I see many metal parts including chrome area is getting pitted...
I could not beleive my eyes coz 3 weeks and bike is getting rusted so quicly..I understand my friend's home is in ECR some 750mts from the sea...so the salt water in the air is playing a havoc..but hang on I used to live in Houston close to the shore & I never had this phenomenon...

so can someone pls suggest me some polish/wax which I can apply & buff out to remove the chrome pitting...I'm really losing sleep over this.

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2011 at 16:29. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Old 4th November 2011, 21:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chrome/Metal Parts: Sad but True

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
It's been 2.5yrs I rode my H-D in USA.
I didnt find any rust or it was only minimal that I could buff it.

Now I parked my bike in Chennai for 3 weeks and now I see many metal parts including chrome area is getting pitted...so can someone pls suggest me some polish/wax which I can apply & buff out to remove the chrome pitting...I'm really losing sleep over this.
It must be just surface rust. If there is a bubble in the chrome then thats bad news. but just a tiny pin head rust spot can be cleaned. American chrome is good.
I remember a white powder that was available at the local petrol pumps here. We used to mix with little water and rub with a cloth. a lot like vim powder. If you don't get it you can try the 3M fine rubbing paste I'm sure it will get the surface rust off. And then apply some light oil or anti rust once its cleaned.
Boy you ought to see the rust on my Beemers. but I know how you feel

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 4th November 2011 at 21:59.
Old 4th November 2011, 22:24   #28
BHPian

Thank god there is no bubble in the chrome, its the surface rust...
I need to use lotta elbow grease with American Chrome, will try finding it out here in my place where the sell American chrome or the white powder that you mentioned
Old 5th November 2011, 04:22   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest that you avoid any powders to remove the rust.
Almost all of them contain abrasives which are harder than chrome so their use will grind away the remaining chrome on the surface.

Steel wool (wire wool), bronze wool or a copper wool scrub pad are all softer than chrome so their use will not remove the remaining chrome when you scrub it with these.

If you can find a good Carnauba or similar wax made for waxing clear coat paint on automobiles use it to thoroughly wax all of your painted and chromed parts.
In the USA, Mother's or Meguiar's are excellent brands but they are unlikely to be found in India. I'm sure there are some comparable auto waxes available there which are similar.

Unfortunatly a wax may not last long on the exhaust parts because of the heat but using them on those parts won't damage anything. They will just "cook off" fairly quickly.
Old 5th November 2011, 08:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Do not use any powders etc. Steel wool etc will place fine scratches on chrome parts. Dont use wax as well, they'll melt with heat and become a dust magnet very very soon.

Get Mothers chrome polish from below link. Mothers is a very reputed brand in the USA and i'm sure this will help remove any sort of surface rust

Products - Auto-Mall.in

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks