Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 20:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Cool, good to see you making decently long rides on this bike.

Any plans to do an interstate trip

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th March 2010 at 20:56.
Old 10th March 2010, 21:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Amazing ride you got there mate

Shows the love you have for the machine by your id [Vara-man ]

Just love the stance of the bike and also hoping that its very relaxed to ride.

25 litre tank is a boon for long rides. Hope the tank capacity offers good range.

With a bike like this, touring on 2 wheels is taken to a different dimension.

Happy motoring!! Ride Safe!!
Old 10th March 2010, 22:45   #18
BHPian

That is a lovely bike there Varaman.
I guess your bike was spotted by a fellow BHPian in some thread sometime back (I cant remember right now)
Looks pretty neat and menacing at the same time.
Cheers to your new ride!
Old 11th March 2010, 12:47   #19
BHPian

Technocrat, Abhinav, Preetam - thanks for your comments. The interstate trip on the Vara is now postponed till the weather becomes a bit cooler again. Meanwhile, Sheela (my wife) and I have booked a bungalow in Coonoor (next to Ooty) from April 1 thro May 15... we will drive down from Mumbai in my Nissan Xtrail, which is almost as much fun as riding the Vara! Abhinav, the Vara returns about 22 kms to the litre on the highway, even when thrumming along at speeds between 120kph and 150kph... so the 25 litre tank is really a boon.
Old 13th March 2010, 22:51   #20
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome ride Varaman.
The Varadero looks fantastic.
Old 14th March 2010, 16:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varaman View Post
The problem with cruisers like the HD, Goldwing or the Intruder is that they are fine for cruising along beautifully tarred roads (like they have in Europa and US)... in India, these bikes face serious limitations due to ridiculously high speed-breakers (thanks to the low ground clearance) and really bad roads. Secondly, the rear shocks of these cruisers are not designed to absorb the punishment on Indian roads... the rider's spine ends up compensating for the shocks and this makes for poor riding enjoyment. The Varadero has excellent telescopic front shocks (almost like a dirt bike) and a 40 setting adjustable rear monoshock with a rebound damper adjuster as well Lastly, manouverability - the Vara is extremely nimble and easy to handle, unlike the cruisers which behave like errant buffaloes. Hope this answers your question.

The maximum time that I have ridden the Vara in a single day is for 11 hours straight, to Mahabaleshwar and back to Mumbai... and the most remarkable thing is that I did not even experience numb-butt or a weary back at the end of the day. I have also taken her to Chiplun, Guhagarh, Alibag, Karnala, Veldoor, Lonavla (maybe 25 times) etc. The maximum distance covered in a day is around 600 kms, largely limited by traffic and road conditions.
Hey man vara! what a bike! Does it compare favourably with Italian tourers like Moto Guzzi and Ducati (not the Desmos but the Sports Classic tourers) and the quintessential super tourer, the BMW R-1200(boxer) ? Is yours a four pot job or a twin? Final drive must be chain (or is it an axel?)

Way back 22 yrs ago the max I rode was 450 kms virtually non stop on my RD-350 from Nasirabad (near Ajmer) to Delhi. I had everything that you did'nt Numb Butt, weary back, frozen arms, the works!

Ride safe and post more pics, varaman!
Old 15th March 2010, 09:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Hey man vara! what a bike! Does it compare favourably with Italian tourers like Moto Guzzi and Ducati (not the Desmos but the Sports Classic tourers) and the quintessential super tourer, the BMW R-1200(boxer) ? Is yours a four pot job or a twin? Final drive must be chain (or is it an axel?)

Way back 22 yrs ago the max I rode was 450 kms virtually non stop on my RD-350 from Nasirabad (near Ajmer) to Delhi. I had everything that you did'nt Numb Butt, weary back, frozen arms, the works!

Ride safe and post more pics, varaman!

varadero, africa twin, ktm adventure, r1200GS these are the bikes to own if you really wanna get out of here... everything else is more or less impractical in India...

surprising we have so many sportsbikes being sold in india today but no full fledged tourers yet...the annual rides by the bulletteers is proof enough that we have a great market here for these bikes.... Beemer is already set well in India in the car market and I'd like to see them bring in the r1200GS ....its gonna be the cat among pigeons among the superbikes sold in india...
Old 15th March 2010, 21:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent ride there! Congrats! Its definitely going to prove its mettle with the conditions in India.
Ride safe!
Old 15th March 2010, 21:33   #24
BHPian

Hey, Windiesel (cool name, buddy!), Cujo... Haven't had a chance to ride the Moto or the Ducati tourers. My guess is that they would be less suited to the road conditions we have here in India. The Vara is a twin, not a four pot job - and yes, she is a chain drive. The only tourer I have ridden which has a comparable ride quality is the Honda ST1300 Pan European. The BMW1200GS is terrific badge value, but (this may surprise you) is quite a problematic bike - several owners of the Vara (in Europe) are erstwhile owners of the 1200GS and they do not have many kind things to say about it. Also, the cost of ownership of a Vara is a mere fraction of that of the BMW. I totally agree with Cujo that India is ready and waiting for world class tourers. I think the next one to come to India through the official launch route will be the Honda VFR 1200... so, here's hoping...
Old 15th March 2010, 23:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thats a amazing ride you have there, it would be a dream to be running around cross-country on that thing.
Old 16th March 2010, 00:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the cost of ownership of a Vara is a mere fraction of that of the BMW.
@Vara - That is one hell of a tourer you have there.

I have been curious for a while as to the cost of ownership of these one-off direct imports. what exactly is the cost of ownership of the Vara? Could you share some numbers with us.

How do owners such as yourself deal with maintenance and the cost of spares? The prices of company sold superbikes are intimidating enough, the price of a one-off direct import would be prohibitive I imagine.

I found that the Vara has the reputation of being a bit of a gas guzzler, thats gotta hurt too.
Old 16th March 2010, 03:04   #27
BANNED

Quote:
. I totally agree with Cujo that India is ready and waiting for world class tourers. I think the next one to come to India through the official launch route will be the Honda VFR 1200... so, here's hoping...
That's a sweet tourer there. Too bad Honda never thought of US as being worthy of a Varadero. We now have the younger brother of the ST1300 the NT700V, but thats no Varadero.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of VFR1200 as well, thats something that can easily replace my VFR800.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:53   #28
BHPian

Hmm - cost of ownership is a tough one to define, but I will give it a whi (a)Purchase price of stock bike inclusive of invoice value, freight, insurance, customs duty, octroi, RTO taxes etc will be between 13 and 15 lakhs (b) Spares are not prohibitively expensive and can be ordered online from several vendors... the smaller ones can be Fedexed right to your doorstep while the larger ones can be brought in through friends coming in from Singapore or London (c) Consumables like oil filters, engine oil etc are not big-ticket items... servicing costs are pretty low provided you have a competent mechanic or garage... I go to Johny in Bandra (Carter Road) and he is extremely competent and very reasonable with his charges. Regarding fuel economy, the Vara gives me between 22 and 25 kms per litre, which is excellent for a 1000 cc superbike. As they say, "haathi lena ho toh chaara ke intezaam bhi karna hoga"... "if you want to buy an elephant, you have to plan for the fodder too"
Old 16th March 2010, 13:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding fuel economy, the Vara gives me between 22 and 25 kms per litre, which is excellent for a 1000 cc superbike. As they say, "haathi lena ho toh chaara ke intezaam bhi karna hoga"... "if you want to buy an elephant, you have to plan for the fodder too"
22-25 kmpl is definitely commendable for a 1000cc bike. Would give a very good range without having to panic for petrol in between your long rides if you have tanked up.

OT: Good quote
Old 16th March 2010, 21:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
22-25 kmpl is definitely commendable for a 1000cc bike. Would give a very good range without having to panic for petrol in between your long rides if you have tanked up.

OT: Good quote
The effective range with its 25 litre tank is between 550 kms and 600 kms... one can very easily ride from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar and back without needing to gas up in between.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks