Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 09:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

A very well written piece, hope you enjoy the ride in the years to come
Old 30th April 2010, 11:00   #32
Team-BHP Support

What a brilliant write up. Excellent thread, voted 5 stars.

Even though I don't ride bikes I just loved the review.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
The 999 was sold for $18k while the 1098 was sold for $15k. That says something. For eg; the 999 has metal gas tanks while the 1098 has fiber glass. My personal belief is that from a design stand point, the 1098 was a step backwards. But its been a huge hit with the public and there is no doubting its technological advances.
Interesting, so you think that having a fiber glass tank against a metal one is going a step backward? What are the other reasons because of which you feel the 1098 is a step backward?
Old 30th April 2010, 19:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Quite obvious one should envy you for owning a bike of that sort
Scorcher, while your generation are lucky to live in an era when these are available in India, we grew up dreaming about Ducatis and Porsches. Since, I own both, I just wanted to share that the real thing is even better than what I imagined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, another question - did you buy this motorcycle recently or long back? Thanks for the education; appreciate it. I didn't know this before & was under the impression that most of the Ducati's engine were all the same & the numbers represented the upgraded engine's thought most of them are like 996-998-999-1098-1198 series. You've given work to me - a lot to learn
Bought the duc in 2006. Each of the models look completely different and hotly debated by the Ducatista. The 999 was the least popular but predictably, my favorite. You're right about the model number representing the engine sizes. These engine sizes were actually determined by the Superbike racing series specifications. The new 1198 series for example was developed after ducati got permission to increase their engine capacity to 1200 cc from the race authorities. To confuse you further, the 999 (998 cc) actually has the engine used in the 998R model, while only the 999R got the 999 cc engine with the 150 hp. This is my favorite duc especially the XEROX edition. All major engine components are made of Titanium and is pretty much close to what they actually used in the Superbike series. Brand new cost apprx. $39000 OTR .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Interesting, so you think that having a fiber glass tank against a metal one is going a step backward? What are the other reasons because of which you feel the 1098 is a step backward?
If you scrutinize the bikes closely, the triple clamps for eg; on the 999 its a work of art, on the 1098 its a piece of metal, the side stands ditto. The other observations chassis bolts on the 999 looks much more superior. I believe the 1098 was made to a budget due to the poor sales of the 999 although its racing success was phenomenal. The 999 was actually designed by a designer as opposed to 1098 which was designed by the chief engineer. In my opinion it shows, similar to the difference between a building designed by an architect and a civil engineer.

The 1098 engine is amazing however although, they haven't had much success in racing this year. Last year Haga was injured after dominating the year and lost the championship. This year ducati is struggling. This is after years of sheer domination by ducati, a company that barely makes 120,000 bikes a year compared to the Japs who makes millions.
Old 1st May 2010, 08:42   #35
BHPian

WOW, Excellent write up man! I miss driving my Fz16 now! Congrats with the bike!
Old 1st May 2010, 23:20   #36
BHPian

FANTASTIC ! What a write up and what a ride it is ! Hats off to the DUC and the DUCATISTA !
Old 2nd May 2010, 07:19   #37
Team-BHP Support

yellow

Hey, fantastic write-up!

I'd missed your earlier threads on your Pontiac GXP & Porsche - just went through them.

Yes, we'd definitely love to see some video clips whenever you find time.
Old 2nd May 2010, 19:14   #38
BHPian

Excellent write up man . Enjoyed a lot reading it ,especially that line in which you said the kids watch it and point their fingers and all .
Old 2nd May 2010, 20:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
You're right about the model number representing the engine sizes. These engine sizes were actually determined by the Superbike racing series specifications.
Whew!!! That was one big pile of information & still digesting it
The testastretta seems to have a little narrow intake & exhaust but the lean angle between them makes the real punch compared to the broader desmoquattro motor.
Old 2nd May 2010, 22:48   #40
BHPian

VLOCT Brilliantly written.
Just see if you can get your hands on an Enfield
so we can expect an amazing write up on that too.
Old 2nd May 2010, 22:56   #41
BHPian

Outstanding write up Brother. Your post is a must read for all to wake up to the spirit of biking. Congrats on your awesome ride. Please do make time to post a few videos.
Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:38   #42
BHPian

VLOCT,
First your 911 post did this to me, now your 999. I am starting to believe that I can own these wheels sometime. You are showing me the path.
My lord, thanks for the wonderful posts and keep them coming. It's an inspiration. This 999 post being one, for a non-biker like me.

BBKK
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write up and awesome motorcycle you have there. Sounds like a dream story. Video awaited!
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoyKK View Post
VLOCT,
First your 911 post did this to me, now your 999. I am starting to believe that I can own these wheels sometime. You are showing me the path.
My lord, thanks for the wonderful posts and keep them coming. It's an inspiration. This 999 post being one, for a non-biker like me. BBKK
Yes, these are not some impossible dreams nowadays. I see it mainly as choices. Most people I meet are interested more in big houses and real estate and such. Well, I decided I'll have a reasonable house and some toys to keep me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Hey, fantastic write-up!

I'd missed your earlier threads on your Pontiac GXP & Porsche - just went through them.

Yes, we'd definitely love to see some video clips whenever you find time.
Glad you enjoyed my reviews. I left a reply for your query on the GXP on that thread.

I'll update this thread with videos when I get the bike out of storage. The weather hasn't warmed up for real serious rides yet. Taking it out of storage and then not riding it is not really good for the bike. Moreover, there is still gravel on lot of the twisties around here.
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:04   #45
BHPian

That is an awesome review. It could do justice only to a 999. The Duc is something I always wanted. I'm not into bikes, but the way you described biking, makes me want to get on two wheels. I always told to myself that biking can hurt me, but heck, I'm willing to risk it.

She looks beautiful. Those beautiful lines, super sexy exhaust!

Also buddy, remember the note to yourself. The Bullet pics et all.

And yea, the exhaust note is something I'm dying to hear!!

Wonderful thread sirjee! 5 stars it is!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks