Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 12:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti - Purchase Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiDas View Post
Booked the wonderful Skoda Yeti recently, but I'm still undecided on the colour that I want.

I'm only considering the following three colours though - Aqua Mist, Mato Brown and Brilliant Silver.
I've seen the Aqua Mist Yeti during Auto Shows, and saw the Silver one at the dealership.
But I'd like suggestions from BHPians who have seen all three in flesh, because the Wallpapers/Official pictures don't give me a clear idea of the actual shade.
I need to decide within 2 days regarding the colour.
Congrats on an excellent decision. There isn't anything quite like the Yeti in the Indian market yet.

Of the colors you short-listed, my personal fave is the aqua-mist. I would have bought that had it not been my wife who usually has the final say in the color

My second favorite is the Mato brown. It looks awesome in the sun but it looks a little dull in the night. It is not quite like the golden-ish brown that you see in BMW X1 ads.
Old 27th June 2011, 13:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good to see requirements driving the decision, and not size and road presence.
With budget constraints, we couldn't have been that picky. Not that there were too many options for us either. The Yeti somehow just fit perfectly into the family-of-three picture. Even though it was beyond our initial budget, destiny made it possible. Paying back the loan awaits now. =P
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Is there any particular rush that you want to go for a showroom piece?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If there is a huge incentive, may be yes, but not otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Unless you are getting a significant discount, please do not buy the showroom model, and, perhaps even not then. I doubt if I would buy the showroom model unless I was getting a minimum of 3 lacs discount.
Thank you all for the suggestions and tips. =)

UPDATE: An early morning walk together cleared our minds a little more about the colour. Since the Aqua Mist shade is already in transit, and choosing any other colour would result in another 20-25 days of waiting time, we finally decided to go ahead and purchase the Aqua Mist shade. Much to my delight, as it was my favorite colour too(same pinch GloryManUnited). Agreed the Yeti would have looked a lot more masculine in the Brown shade, but at least we'll be assured of a fresh-from-the-mill car (the Brown one was also on display at a sister showroom).
So this also eliminates the fear of having to take delivery of a display vehicle. =)
Let's just hope our current preference prevails and we don't have a change of heart anytime soon..

What I still need to know is about the special precautions I need to take during pre-registration and pre-delivery inspection..
Old 27th June 2011, 14:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

My $0.02; please do not go for the showroom displayed piece. You are putting in your hard earned money into a car of your dreams. One that you (or your dad) wished to own for so long. As an aspirational buy, I would recommend to go in for a new piece; your favourite colour of the three. You are not getting any discount and in any case whats the price you would put on your peace of mind - 50K, 1L? Not worth it, IMHO

If I were in your shoes I would have gone in for the Brown over the Mist. Personally I dont like Silver colour!

Quote:
What I still need to know is about the special precautions I need to take during pre-registration and pre-delivery inspection..
Let me be the first to congratulate you then! Great decision and I am sure you will be very pleased with your early morning walk
Please go through the PDI checklist:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

Dont forget to:
- bring your camera
- take lots of pics
- update this thread

Last edited by selfdrive : 27th June 2011 at 14:45.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:44   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With budget constraints, we couldn't have been that picky. Not that there were too many options for us either. The Yeti somehow just fit perfectly into the family-of-three picture. Even though it was beyond our initial budget, destiny made it possible.

UPDATE: An early morning walk together cleared our minds a little more about the colour. Since the Aqua Mist shade is already in transit, and choosing any other colour would result in another 20-25 days of waiting time, we finally decided to go ahead and purchase the Aqua Mist shade.
Congratulations once again! Aqua mist shade does give a classic look to the Yeti.
Now gear up to do a good ownership thread for Team-BHP
Old 29th June 2011, 22:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Please go through the PDI checklist.
Took a printout of the list, thanks. =)
Should I also ask my dealer to deliver the car on the same day as he registers it?
That way, I wouldn't have to do two separate inspections of the car - one before registration and one before the delivery.

Or should I follow the conventional method and check the vehicle once it arrives at the dealer's, again before it gets registered and then before taking delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations once again! Aqua mist shade does give a classic look to the Yeti.
Now gear up to do a good ownership thread for Team-BHP
Thank you! I can't wait to finally write an ownership report. Although, that seems unlikely for now, as I have my exams starting next Monday.
Moreover, I think it's better to review a car only after you've spent some time with it.
Expect an ownership report by the 20th.

Cheers!
Old 29th June 2011, 23:17   #21
BHPian

Re: Purchase Advice on a Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Finding the colour isn't an issue. All the colours would be available within 2-3 weeks.
The Aqua Mist is currently on its way. Even with a discount, I think I'll manage to convince Dad against taking the display vehicle.

We're dealing with Nawab Motors, Noida. And apparently, we can't deal with any other showroom because of some Skoda policy of every dealer having their own territory.
A display piece that is three months old! I'd treat it like a used car and look at it only if offered a discount of a lakh or more.

Dealer having own territory is a whole lot of bull. You have a right to choose the dealer. I don't believe that Skoda would be so daft as to try a policy as silly as this. If they indeed are, then you must shoot off an e-mail to their support.

Quote:
Thanks Pramod!
We saw the Mato Brown one today. We had a few reservations though : the brown color would look black at night, hence no "floating roof effect". The silver one is a common shade, which wouldn't really make the car stand out in terms of colour. But on the positive side, touch-up applications will be easier to perform, with the colour readily available in the market. Also, my folks rather like the silver one, maybe because we have a Maruti Alto in silver, and we simply love it.
Just waiting for more suggestions and a sighting of the Aqua Mist at the end of this week..
Matto Brown looks cool to me. My teenage son (16 +) hates it. I like Aqua Mist better than silver. In fact Aqua Mist looks very nice. I don't like black color for a car. The red looks great - so long as it belongs to someone else. As for me; I own a white Yeti.

You are right about white and Silver having greater visibility to other drivers/people on road. White and Silver also have advantage of helping the A/C run a wee bit more efficient. When standing side to side a white car appears bigger than darker colored one, and you get a slightly better margin from other vehicles.
SushilBajpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 09:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Sushil: You're very right and that's a valuable piece of advice. A car as a "show piece" is often used and also we may never know who all used it. People come with kids get inside, try all sorts of things, with parts badly handles/broken etc.

Consider if only you're given a handsome discount!
Old 30th June 2011, 13:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Dealer having own territory is a whole lot of bull.
You're right. I can choose my dealer. I guess I was given wrong information. I asked around town with a few more dealers, and was even quoted a lower price than my current one. When I spoke to my dealer about it, he immediately quoted me a lower price by around Rs. 2000.

We haven't asked for discounts for the display car, because of our new color choice. But we were coerced a lot by the dealer, without being offered any discount at all.

Quote:
You are right about white andSilver having greater visibilityto other drivers/people on road. White and Silver also have advantage of helping theA/C run a wee bit more efficient. When standing side to side a white car appears bigger than darker colored one, and you get a slightly better margin from other vehicles.
That also stands true for the Aqua Mist, as it's a bright color and reflects more and absorbs less of sunlight.

Have you had sun-screens/visors installed? Even though the Yeti comes fully loaded, any other accessories that you've added on?
Also, please let me know how your first service went, and whether you had a good experience with Skoda A.S.S. or not.
Your ownership thread was extremely informative, and drove us to decide on buying the Yeti, Mr. Bajpai. =)
Old 30th June 2011, 13:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Abi, dealer having own territory is so not true. Skoda does not have any such policy.
About the discounts, please do bargain and get as much as you can. Regardless of the color choice. Remember, the Yeti does not sell as well as Skoda would like it to. So, you can expect a whole lot of discounts.

The PDI checklist is an absolute must. Do take it along.

That said, congrats on the purchase. Yeti indeed is a lovely vehicle, with interiors that have no match currently in that segment.
What model are you going for? Ambiente or Elegence?
Old 30th June 2011, 14:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Abi, dealer having own territory is so not true. Skoda does not have any such policy.
About the discounts, please do bargain and get as much as you can. Regardless of the color choice. Remember, the Yeti does not sell as well as Skoda would like it to. So, you can expect a whole lot of discounts.

The PDI checklist is an absolute must. Do take it along.

That said, congrats on the purchase. Yeti indeed is a lovely vehicle, with interiors that have no match currently in that segment.
What model are you going for? Ambiente or Elegence?
Thanks a ton!
We went for the Elegance model. Ambiente isn't worth it. For a little less than 2 lacs, you get a truckload of useful and stylish new features.

We weren't given much in discounts though. Mum works with a corporate company, so all we got was a corporate discount. They said there were no discounts on the Elegance model, and they were giving us a bonus because of the "Skoda Celebrations" that's going on currently. They had ni discounts for Central Government employees (Dad) either.
I believe we could've scouted and bargained a little more, but as I mentioned earlier, our decision to buy the car was completely spontaneous. We walked into the showroom with absolutely no intention to buy the car, and walked out in an hour having booked it, without even a TD. =D
Old 30th June 2011, 17:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Have you had sun-screens/visors installed? Even though the Yeti comes fully loaded, any other accessories that you've added on?
Also, please let me know how your first service went, and whether you had a good experience with Skoda A.S.S. or not.
Your ownership thread was extremely informative, and drove us to decide on buying the Yeti, Mr. Bajpai. =)
Thanks AbiDas and congratulations for the new Yeti. You really don't need any accessories.

I have Elegance variant and have additionally got the following:

1. Aftermarket floor mats as the original Yeti mats were not available. Regardless, they are way too expensive.

2. Mud-flaps for the front wheels. You should negotiate with the dealer to give these free of cost to you.

3. Blaupunkt Arctic clear antiglare heat protection film on all windows including the front windscreen. You can also opt for V-kool, but the ones I have on our Honda Jazz interfere with the GPS signal and therefore Blaupunkt. This immediately results in blower going down by at-least two notches and therefore a more quite car.

4. I have a detachable MapMyIndia GPS unit which I find quite helpful.

5. Pramods has added several accessories and made some interesting changes. While I like them, I have not felt any need for those yet.

6. DO NOT get any coatings done on the car. No teflon or similar stuff. Yeti has excellent paint work that already has a protective coat. You could think about 3M treatment after 12 to 18 months.

Similarly I have not put any seat covers. Enjoy the real leather. You get nice leather cleansing and polishing/softening creams. Just take care of the seats.

The stock music system is one of the best that you get in India. So there is no need to change anything on that count.

A word of caution. I do hope that you will not insist - and your parents will not permit even if you do - on driving the car till you are legal to do so.

Yeti can be dangerous in hands of an uncaring teenager. It's peppy - almost like a race car - and can pick up speed surprisingly quick. It demands a degree of maturity and responsibility in handling. So I'll wait for your review from the left seat.

Yeti is robust and hardly needs any maintenance. But a diesel engine demands that the oil, oil filters, and air-flters be changed at specified intervals.

My experience with the first service was not bad. But Skoda guys are definitely slower than Honda fellows. Don't worry about A.S.S. You can always choose among the dealers. The dealerships tend to be poor where they monopolies. That's surely not the case in NCR. Just make sure that you take both Skoda Shield and Skoda Assure.

Happy driving - rather, being driven. Be safe.

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 30th June 2011 at 17:39.
Old 1st July 2011, 02:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
1. Aftermarket floor mats as the original Yeti mats were not available. Regardless, they are way too expensive.
2. Mud-flaps for the front wheels. You should negotiate with the dealer to give these free of cost to you.
3. Blaupunkt Arctic clear antiglare heat protection film on all windows including the front windscreen.
I doubt my dealer giving me freebies. After you book the vehicle, they sort of take you for granted. At least that was our experience.
But could you give me an estimated cost of these add-ons? I think the mud flaps are extremely necessary, like you mentioned in your thread.

Quote:
A word of caution. I do hope that you will not insist - and your parents will not permit even if you do - on driving the car till you are legal to do so.
I understand your worry. But I wouldn't want to take the risk of driving a new vehicle anyway. I will sit behind the wheels in private properties like our apartment complex, where it's not illegal to drive under 18. I wouldn't be allowed for any more than that, and if you know what Delhi traffic is like, you wouldn't be surprised when I say I don't even want to drive. ;-D
The review will indeed come from the left seat, and occasionally from the back seat, but I'll be documenting Dad's driving experience as well.
Having seen Skoda cars in the abundance of a Maruti in Europe, we never had the doubt about build quality, engineering, maintenance, etc. A.S.S only came into our minds after the booking.

Our Skoda Shield costs around 60k. I wonder whether that already includes Skoda Assure (it says comprehensive insurance)?
Old 1st July 2011, 08:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt my dealer giving me freebies. After you book the vehicle, they sort of take you for granted. At least that was our experience.

But could you give me an estimated cost of these add-ons? I think the mud flaps are extremely necessary, like you mentioned in your thread.

I understand your worry. But I wouldn't want to take the risk of driving a new vehicle anyway. I will sit behind the wheels in private properties like our apartment complex, where it's not illegal to drive under 18. I wouldn't be allowed for any more than that, and if you know what Delhi traffic is like, you wouldn't be surprised when I say I don't even want to drive. ;-D
The review will indeed come from the left seat, and occasionally from the back seat, but I'll be documenting Dad's driving experience as well.
Having seen Skoda cars in the abundance of a Maruti in Europe, we never had the doubt about build quality, engineering, maintenance, etc. A.S.S only came into our minds after the booking.

Our Skoda Shield costs around 60k. I wonder whether that already includes Skoda Assure (it says comprehensive insurance)?
The estimated prices:

1. Front Mud Flaps: These cost Rs 900, and are available with Skoda dealers. Takes about 15 minutes to fix. Get these before you take delivery.

2. Floor Mats: The ones available from Skoda are expensive. The dealer himself may have aftermarket ones. My wife bought a set of clear plastic (no plastic smell) generic floor-mats for Rs 800. These come with markings to cut them to fit.

I have also seen moulded floor mats which are vehicle specific. They are called 3D mats and fit exactly. Because they fit like pans on the floor, they are better at collecting all the rubbish and you could empty them out like a tray. I recall having read a post on BHP forums, but couldn't locate it today. These are expensive. In Pune I was quoted Rs 5k and I didn't think it was worth the price.

3. The films that really cut our heat and are transparent are quite expensive. The Vkool V-70 (I think) that I have on my Jazz cost us Rs 30,000 (Front+Side+back). The Blaupunkt Arctic on Yeti around 25,000. These are good. But you need to be sure that you are dealing with right people. It is rather easy for the vendor to substitute a Rs 30K film with the one available for say 10K and you wouldn't be able to make the difference by looks. But it will not perform. I got mine done from the Blaupunkt India (Mumbai) themselves, and they themselves acknowledged that they were having issues with their dealers indulging in these malpractices. Blaupunkt comes with a 10 year warranty - if you believe that!

5. Skoda Shield is extended warranty (4 years/1 lakh km, whichever is earlier). Skoda Assure is an add-on to the comprehensive insurance that makes it no-depreciation. In other words if the car gets damaged (for whatever reason) the insurance company would not deduct for depreciation, which for plastic parts could be as high as 50% the moment your car leaves the showroom. I understand you can claim no-depreciation insurance twice each year. I think it is important to get a no-depreciation cover for the first few years. Remember a set of deployed air-bags could cost nearly lakh to fix.

6. While on the point of insurance. If you were to drive, even within the precincts of your block, it would void the insurance, and expose you to action under motor-vehicles act. Insurance does not cover the vehicle under command of a minor or a person without valid and legal license.

I completely agree with you about Delhi traffic. I myself get rather uncomfortable driving in Delhi. I always defer driving in Delhi to my wife and revert to the habit I had as a child - that of biting nails.
Old 1st July 2011, 08:50   #29
J.Ravi

Quote:
Quote:
I have also seen moulded floor mats which are vehicle specific. They are called 3D mats and fit exactly. Because they fit like pans on the floor, they are better at collecting all the rubbish and you could empty them out like a tray. I recall having read a post on BHP forums, but couldn't locate it today. These are expensive. In Pune I was quoted Rs 5k and I didn't think it was worth the price.
The 3D mats are good and worth the cost. They are imported and available at these locations.
Purchase Advice on a Skoda Yeti-dsc04129.jpgPurchase Advice on a Skoda Yeti-dsc04127.jpg

My Linea has them. I paid Rs 4500 last year.
  (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 16:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt my dealer giving me freebies. After you book the vehicle, they sort of take you for granted. At least that was our experience
Abi : The Yeti is available with a discount. I was offered a 35k discount in Mumbai. Your dad may like to ask for a discount. They are also having a Skoda celebration.

Nice choice and perfect reason for opting for the chosen vehicle. I found the Helix clutch surprising. Needs getting used to. Happy passenger seat riding.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks