Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 15:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you know a good garage, pref non authorised you can take it.
you have to get
1. New Fuel tank
2. New fuel lines (Fuel return line etc.,) whatever is made of rubber
3. change all fluids and all filters
4. Change all belts.
5. Possible bearing change too

If you buy it do not start it, put it on a flatbed, take to workshop. Change all fluids and belts and then start the vehicle.
Thank you for those valuable inputs Tanveer. If I have to get all the above work done, any idea what would be the ball park figure of the costs that would be incurred?

Sometime back I could get hold of the keys of the car from the facilities dept. Below are some random shots of the car.

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-front-view1.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-rear-view1.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-dashboard1.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-steering-odo-console1.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-captain-seats1.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-dashboard2.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-left-rear-door.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-front-row-seats.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-boot-opened.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-folded-third-row-seats.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-folded-third-row-seats2.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-bonnet-opened1.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-vin-number.jpg

Toyota Innova, unused for 4 years - Worth considering? EDIT: Walked away!-bonnet-opened2.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 16:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Dont buy it, but if you must buy it, please investigate more on the RC part. The RC is proving to be a deterent. Was this car involved in some Hit and Run case or caught with prohibitted stuff ?. It is better to check with the police records on this. Other than that i really dont think of a reason why an Innova is sitting unused for 5 years. Even if the owner upgraded to say a ML63 AMG, anyone would sell it and as stated above, the taxi segment would buy it anyday.

Police NOC is required only when the car is sold, this could be a reason that it was "hidden" away in the stilt. If RC is not avilable, a duplicate one can be obtained easily (An RTO agent can help). Cost would not matter as they company can show it as expense for tax benefits.

Something fishy about the deal.
scopriobharath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 16:21   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thank you for those valuable inputs Tanveer. If I have to get all the above work done, any idea what would be the ball park figure of the costs that would be incurred?
About 50K + cost of new fuel tank.
The RC bit is an issue though as other members have mentioned.
Do not buy without RC book
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 16:41   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly speaking, it is better than what I had expected. Is this the place where it was parked all this time? If it was, then it escaped the tortures of nature like rain & the sun in this enclosed parking area. But again, does not look like a car standing for 4 years.

I would say, about a lac of rupee should suffice to make it see the road, IFF, it came on its own where it is standing now. But the RC remains a gamble and not to forget the odo reading that we are unsure of. Whose car was it anyway? The company's? Any previous employee who has earned enough not to care about a 10 lac plus rupee car?

Also, why was the insurance renewed even though the car was lying unused? And who is the first party to the insurance?

Last edited by saket77 : 28th May 2014 at 16:47.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 16:42   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Sometime back I could get hold of the keys of the car from the facilities dept. Below are some random shots of the car.
The facilities department of your company should be (Sorry to be rude).

Looking at the car makes me cry, people outside are waiting for 2nd hand Innova's and are paying through their noses to get hold of one and this company possessing one is neither driving it nor maintaining it. Horrible!

Issues I can observe:

1) I guess there is water dripping on the wind shield/wiper area, look at the salt deposit (hardness of water), front-end seems dirty but the rear seems clean;

2) Tyres are almost flat - vehicle load on alloys;

3) Upholstery needs a change with a visit to 3M for beautification!

4) The guy cleaning the engine will die of suffocation/asthma!

5) No RC but the car reads MH 12 EM XXX. Hope this vehicle was not involved in any accident or issue. Puzzles me why this car was not used or is it a lemon?

6) Condition of the battery?

7) What is the odometer reading?

8) Was the car starting?

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 28th May 2014 at 16:47.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 16:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Baba, GO FOR THIS. But but only if what they say is actually the truth and the car is just 'unused'.

Tow it to Toyota's service station, a change of fluids (coolant, Brake, engine, gearbox) + greesing of calipers, changing of strut bushes, fuel tank cleaning, fuel filter replacement, change of tyres, change of battery and you are good to go like this was a brand new car.

Take it for a blip on the highway, let all the carbon get out from the engine and in a few kilometers this will run as good as new. GO FOR IT.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 16:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Dont buy it, but if you must buy it, please investigate more on the RC part. The RC is proving to be a deterent. Was this car involved in some Hit and Run case or caught with prohibitted stuff ?. It is better to check with the police records on this. Other than that i really dont think of a reason why an Innova is sitting unused for 5 years. Even if the owner upgraded to say a ML63 AMG, anyone would sell it and as stated above, the taxi segment would buy it anyday.

Police NOC is required only when the car is sold, this could be a reason that it was "hidden" away in the stilt. If RC is not avilable, a duplicate one can be obtained easily (An RTO agent can help). Cost would not matter as they company can show it as expense for tax benefits.

Something fishy about the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
About 50K + cost of new fuel tank.
The RC bit is an issue though as other members have mentioned.
Do not buy without RC book
Those are really some good insights. Why the company is keeping this vehicle without the RC card for so long? As you rightly mentioned getting a RC card is not that difficult task and the company should have done that by now, there could be indeed something fishy.

Earlier I had thought of getting my mechanic to my office and showing him this car inside out so that I could at least get a ball park figure of the expenses that are likely to be incurred. I would be mentally prepared. Moreover I could bid an appropriate amount keeping this fact in mind. The facilities person didn't object to that and said I can get my mechanic during office timings, any day, preferably on a Saturday. I am now getting more inclined towards not pursuing this any further.

The facilities dept has absolutely no records of this car. They only have the car keys and the car itself. They don't have the RC book, they don't have any service records, neither do they know the odo reading. They should have ideally collected all the documents, before putting this car on the block, but they are insisting on selling this car on as-is basis.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 16:57   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The facilities dept has absolutely no records of this car. They only have the car keys and the car itself. They don't have the RC book, they don't have any service records, neither do they know the odo reading. They should have ideally collected all the documents, before putting this car on the block, but they are insisting on selling this car on as-is basis.
Whose car is it anyway? You said that the insurance is valid till Nov.14. See the insurance papers and the name of the first party. Also, why was the insurance renewed despite the car standing for 4 years?

Edit: Is your company by any chance is a consumer finance company? Can it be a case of repossessed car by a finance company whose owner failed to pay the dues? That could also explain the absent RC. In that case, better to stay away.
Just follow the policy, when in doubt; stay out!

Last edited by saket77 : 28th May 2014 at 17:09.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The facilities dept has absolutely no records of this car. They only have the car keys and the car itself. They don't have the RC book, they don't have any service records
This is bit strange.

1. What would be the "locus standi" of company in sale agreement?
2. Who will sign the transfer form at RTO
3. How come this is a white plate vehicle?
NetfreakBombay is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 17:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Honestly speaking, it is better than what I had expected. Is this the place where it was parked all this time? If it was, then it escaped the tortures of nature like rain & the sun in this enclosed parking area. But again, does not look like a car standing for 4 years.
Yes, the closed parking has saved the car from vagaries of nature. However as Anurag has pointed out about the salt deposits on the windshield (good observation) was due to the water dripping from the ceiling.

Quote:
But the RC remains a gamble and not to forget the odo reading that we are unsure of. Whose car was it anyway? The company's? Any previous employee who has earned enough not to care about a 10 lac plus rupee car?

Also, why was the insurance renewed even though the car was lying unused? And who is the first party to the insurance?
You are right, this whole thing is very fishy. No RC book, no other documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The facilities department of your company should be (Sorry to be rude).
No need for any apologies. You have expressed my very own thoughts.

Quote:
Looking at the car makes me cry, people outside are waiting for 2nd hand Innova's and are paying through their noses to get hold of one and this company possessing one is neither driving it nor maintaining it. Horrible!
What can I say. Criticizing my employer on a public forum like this is the last thing I would do, but I have to admit, a company which boasts of world class processes and standards cannot maintain a simple RC book.

You know what just now I asked the facilities person, to show me the insurance policy document as it was clearly mentioned in the advertise that the insurance of this car is valid till Nov-2014. To my utter surprise, he said "we don't have any policy documents as discussed, we only have keys"

That was the final nail in the coffin.

After all the valuable inputs from various members, I have reached the unanimous decision that I won't be bidding for this car. Even if it was offered for free, I would restrain myself from owing it, because there is absolute lack of transparency.

I thank all the forum members from the bottom of my heart. who have contributed to this thread. I would request the moderators to kindly close this thread as I am firm on my decision . Any further discussions on this topic won't make me change my mind.
AutoIndian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 17:23   #26
BANNED

Quote:
The facilities dept has absolutely no records of this car. They only have the car keys and the car itself. They don't have the RC book, they don't have any service records, neither do they know the odo reading.
Since the car has white plates and insurance is active, why don't you visit Toyota for details of the owner and also using the insurance documents find the details either online or by going to the office.

What happiness does you company get with this 'as-is' sale basis without any documents. It is like a orphan without any idea who is parents (read owner) are.

EDIT:

Quote:
Even if it was offered for free, I would restrain myself from owing it, because there is absolute lack of transparency.
Good decision. Congratulations for the peace of mind. So now the fight is between the Ertiga and Mobilio.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 28th May 2014 at 17:26.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:25   #27
BHPian

Toyota dealer may have the history with them. You can check with them since you have number plate as well as chassis and engine number. RTO check is a must .Battery needs replacement as it can be seen the terminals are almost gone. Tyres and service may cost something below Rs.40,000. Go ahead if you are clear about the paper. Total ivestment from your side must not go above 3.5 Lacs.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 17:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since the car has white plates and insurance is active, why don't you visit Toyota for details of the owner and also using the insurance documents find the details either online or by going to the office.
The insurance is not valid and the company has no papers, as stated by OP in the last post. This is a very fishy case and I would never advise anyone to tread into it.

At the very best, looks like a repossessed car by a finance company. At the worst - let's not discuss about it.

All in all, good decision finally by the OP, especially considering that a used Innova in the second hand market is not much beyond the price point that the OP is willing to pay. Any money he saves in this transaction is not worth the risk he is taking.

Regards,
Saket
Old 28th May 2014, 17:32   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

This is a very fishy case and I would never advise anyone to tread into it.

At the very best, looks like a repossessed car by a finance company. At the worst - let's not discuss about it. Any money he saves in this transaction is not worth the risk he is taking.
Check my last part of the last post (Post EDIT).

I echo you and happy AI has closed this deal for good. Else he would be surprised what all issues crop out from this poor car (Mechanical and Legal).

Anurag.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:45   #30
BHPian

Depending on the position, some companies offer perks to its employees in the form of car financing options, where the company pays the whole amount and all the employee has to do is pay the EMI. There is also some tax saving in the process. We have the same in our company. Sometimes when the employee leaves the company before clearing the dues he has on his car, the company hangs on to the car for safe keeping. This might be the case here.
Buying this vehicle is a definitely a gamble. It might involve loads of expenses or maybe just a few. Being a Toyota I am sure it work.
On the flip side after you buy it, if things dont work out, you can always sell it at double the price!
bigben is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks