Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2006, 00:20   #1
BHPian

What will be your perception on a Bolero owner

Hi BHPeans,

I'm love sick since quite some time... No, it's not about love with a girl but with this M&M Bolero. Yes, I know that it's origin is in second WW Willy and it's mostly suitable for rural use but can't get it out of my head.

Background (To do requirement analysis):
In brief, I'm a mid-level software engineer living in Bangalore. Driving Maruti 800 STD since 8 years except for a brief period when I drove Ford Fiesta 2001 and Ford Focus 2003 (awesome!) while living in Europe. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with M800 but now it's too old to support my sporty driving style and also it makes no economic sense at it's 11 KM milage resulting in direct running cost of 5 Rs per KM while providing no modern day comfort like AC or independent suspension. I've extensively driven my father's Esteem but won't buy a new one for myself for reasons most people on this forum would agree. I end up driving around 1400 KM per month.

Trouble:
I'm gonna go for Diesel vehicle for sure this time and budget is around 6 lakh. I can live with Indigo TDi which is just an IDI with Turbo and Intercooler but with similar amount I can get a "Bolero Sports" fitted with DI - Turbo engine churning measly 63 BHP to pull it's 1600 kerb weight. Test drove it last week. Found OK. I like it's macho look (It's subjective though. Actually like it since childhood when I was riding my father's service vehicle), high sitting position, good commanding visibility, reasonable mileage (about 12 KM with A/C in City), cheap spares, low maintenance, suitability for rural like road in this city (I don't care about pothholes even with M800), stay away character deterring nuisance tvs riders in Bangalore traffic etc..

Negative aspect of this vehicle which I found myself after the test drive - hard clutch, little notchy gear shift, little body roll, lack of coil sprint at rear, unergonomic hand break position (don't care about music system provision near to floor). Other negative aspect which has nothing to do with this poor creature itself is my wife's strong disliking about his vehicle. But since she loves me a lot and cares about my happiness, she'll accommodate my wild fancies and has agreed to occupy co-drive seat on the condition that I'll never ask her to drive.

Hurdle before reaching to my love:
As you see, I've almost made up my mind but looking around my work place car parking (a reputed MNC) as well as my apartment where I didn't see a single M&M vehicle prompted me whether am I the odd one out? That prompted me about other's perception on a Bolero owner...

Your input:
Dear BHPeans, what do you think? Am I taking irrational decision? Would your perception about a Bolero owner be very poor? Let me know your views / suggestion as there are not much alternative with this much budget and I plan to keep this atleast for next 5 years...

PS: Apologies for stretching this post too much..
Old 5th August 2006, 08:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of points about what you have said:
* 12kmpl with AC in City - Doubt it. Pls calculate for 9kmpl, max 10kmpl in city. You know how BLR traffic is.
* Hand brake position should not matter - you will not use it when driving.

The name that M&M has given is Bolero Sportz, but pls dont expect sporty acceleration like with lighter, petrol fuelled cars. Yes, the 63bhp from a turbo-charged 2.5L engine is a disappointment. There seems to have been no progress on this aspect by M&M.

Overall, if you love the vehicle, I'd say that you go for it. Forget perceptions. And very soon, you'll begin to like the view from the drivers seat.
Old 5th August 2006, 12:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel
Hi BHPeans,

Your input:
Dear BHPeans, what do you think? Am I taking irrational decision? Would your perception about a Bolero owner be very poor? Let me know your views / suggestion as there are not much alternative with this much budget and I plan to keep this atleast for next 5 years...
If you wife strongly dislikes the car, it is probably an irrational decision (those of us who are married can probably vouch for that . But is it the right decision ? Figure out what matters more, the happiness of owning the car you always wanted or the dislike of your wife towards the car and the tradeoffs involved.

As far as perception about Bolero owner goes, it think its got to be better than that of Maruti 800. At least I perceive it that way.
Old 5th August 2006, 13:01   #4
BHPian

Hell..Why a bolero mate?? My colleague had a bolero for 6 months and sold it after she was frustrated with the milaege problems.After perpetual visits to India garage (B'lore) where she got bought it from, the service people told her that they will replace the engine and deliver the same in 15 days.Though it was a customer friendly gesture from the M&M guys, the problem simply persisted even after the vehicle got a heart transplant(New engine).She used to get 7-8 Km per litre in city and what prompted her decision to sell the car was the mileage of 9 KM on Highway!! NO CHANGE WHATSOEVER compared to her old engine..

Instead go in for a TATA 207 DI pick up.I have a friend who drives it and it comfortably gives you 13 KM in city (with AC used sporadically,Thanks to B'lore weather) and recently when we guys made it to coorg in this beast, the milaege was 16 KM on Highway!!Voila and what more it cruises like a dream at 115 KM /H and an all new independent suspension makes it very sturdy and ensures a smooth drive.

Some details of TATA 207 DI pick up:

3Litre engine/ 66 BHP/ power steering/ ( pay another lakh more to the dealer and you get 1.SUMO A/C installed 2.awesome alloys with Michellin broad tyres 225/ 105 profile 3. impact bar with NEOLITE fog lamps)

Hope this will help you to decide
Old 5th August 2006, 13:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had driven my friends bolero few times. For me it looked bigger from outside, but the moment you took the driver seat, it does'nt feel like you're driving a big one.

All the corners are clearly visible & it makes drive easier even in crowded and narrow streets. Steering is responsive & seats are comfortable.

Initial pick up is not very impressive. Since Iam not used to the diesel vehicles, Iam not sure whether the problem is with Bolero or with me . Clutch is also bit hard, mighe be due to the mileage of 60 K kms.

FE seems to be around 9 kmpl.

Last edited by Surprise : 5th August 2006 at 13:08.
Old 5th August 2006, 13:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why not look at the Mahindra invader?it matches all your wants+looks even better than the bolero
Old 5th August 2006, 13:26   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Well let me begin by saying that there is no reason to be perceiving a person with a SELECT car to be poor by any standards .. To each his own , a car that might suit all ur needs doesnt necessarily mean it has to suit my needs too .. That said , one should not disrespect the choice of a fellow companion , whether his choice of car be a M800 or a Merc E-class ..

So if ur heart is still with the bolero , id say just go ahead and grab urself the keys .. If u indeed want to look at other choices for reasons such as ur wifes disliking , better comfort , safer ride etc etc than pls do so .. But id still say go by ur heart budget permitting .. For u wouldnt want to be regretting the purchase once done ..

Well , knowing that u would be keeping the car for atleast 5 yrs and that u would commuting atleast 1500 kms a month , going in for a diesel does justify .. But , the diesels as everyone knows are prone to a few problems , higher cost of maintainance in due time .. Remember we arent talking of the sophisticated CRDI's and the likes here ..

That said u could also look at cheaper petrol alternatives and save the cash for the excess petrol fares and a trouble free ownership experience .. Will choices that u would have are:

1. Santro/indica/wagon r (with lpg) under the small cars ..
2. Getz/swift in the slightly bigger segment ..
3. Fiat petra/indigo/baleno/esteem in the sedan bracket ..
These are just the few choices that u might want to re-look at .. First set ur priorities and the budget and then decide upon the rest ..

Back to square one are we ?? Happy hunting ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 5th August 2006 at 13:31.
Old 5th August 2006, 15:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaturallywired
Instead go in for a TATA 207 DI pick up.
Co-incidentally, stopped at Prerana Motors today to have a look at the 207DI and the Tata TL. Both are commercial vehicles - they do not have the kind of passenger cabin that the family will feel comfortable travelling in.

In the Tata TL, the rear bench depth is short. Also, once you pull the driver's seat back, you dont have knee-room for the rear bench. The 207 DI is built on similar lines. I was not impressed by the dash board of either model. OT, this visit to the dealership also meant that both these are off my list - I was considering these because I need something that can carry some cargo occasionally.

In both vehicles, looking at the external height, you'd expect internal height also. But that is not the case - there is no head room. IMO, Neither of these Tata models will be good for family use.

dnat, these two are in a diff category than the Bolero. The Invader is definitely an option. One prob with that is that it is a soft-top.

Patel-bhai, do a check with other Bolero owners regarding the mileage. See how it goes before you decide. Like McL says, to each his own.

Last edited by condor : 5th August 2006 at 15:26.
Old 5th August 2006, 16:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey u get the invader with a hard top too.U get powersteering+Ac too in tha.
Old 5th August 2006, 17:06   #10
BHPian

Thank you very much for all your inputs.

Just to bring in some more clarity -
I'm decided not to go for a small car nor a premium petrol hatchback. Have test drove Palio D which is really great with abundant low rpm torque but hasitent to pay that much for a hatch. (Agreed, it's an old kind of mentality given that GM has dared to launch SRV in the market).

This leave either Indigo LS and Bolero Sportz as the options. About a month back, there were some reports that Tatas are launching Dicor (i.e. Crdi) engine fitted Indigo and today's Times Of India having an advertisement about 25-30 K discount till 15h August suggests that Indigo Dicor is indeed on it's way to market very soon. I'm gonna check this Dicor baby...

About Bolero's milage, I'm not sure whether everyone have noticed but Bolero Sportz variant is available with Mahindra's proprietary Direct Inject engine which is different from the Indirect Injection engine which was fitted in earlier Bolero GLX. I'm sure that milage figures quoted by BHPans are correct for GLX. GLX is now discontinued due to EIII in force. I believe that DI should be more efficient and might deliver atleast 11 to 12 KMPM milage as what dealer wants me to believe.

Anyother feedback / Ownership experince about Bolero (any variant) would be of a great help.
Old 5th August 2006, 17:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Hey u get the invader with a hard top too.U get powersteering+Ac too in tha.
Does hardtop, PS and AC come company fitted? What kind of engine is put to use?
Old 5th August 2006, 17:50   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi NisPatel

Just a note - let me tell you that a Mahindra is NOT an easy machine to live with. Especially not if you already have a family to move around. I drive a Classic as my daily driver for the last 9 years and it is extremely crude, basic and harsh.

That said, you grow to love Jeeps and their simplicity after living with them. I choose the Classic keys every morning over my other cars which are far more refined, powerful and modern.

Dont care about how people would perceive you. Drive it another time and sleep on it for a while. Then, if your heart is set on it, just go ahead and put down your payment.

I would also recommend you to test the Gypsy King.
Old 5th August 2006, 19:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

As far as 207/TL is concerned, I would think twice about paying so much for them. For one, just take a test drive once and you will realise that they are not a substitute for a family car. From a 3 hour ride I once had in a 207 crew cab, I found it to be extremely crude and unrefined (and I am used to the Indigo). It also delivers a bumpy ride. I suggest you wait for something like the Marina Dicor instead.
Old 5th August 2006, 19:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

http://www.mahindra-bolero.com/
This is the mahindra official site for the bolero range.There is the invader there.U can check it out.It comes in 2 engine options.One of them is the 72.5bhp engine u get in the bolero.I am sure i had read some where before about the invader comming with power steering and A/C but anyways i ll confirm it and tell you
Old 5th August 2006, 21:30   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

NisPatel, dont take the dealer's word on the mileage part - pls check with other owners.

Reg the Dicor from Tata - I will say wait and watch for 6 months after launch before you put your money on it. Tata has not announced a launch date for the Marina Dicor. The discounts will be there and are not related to the Dicor Launch. So, IMO, doesnt make sense to wait for the Dicor.

humyun, last time I checked with M&M, the dealer had indicated that the XDP3 version was being phased out, and only their DI engines would be avlbl, but with turbo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks