Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2006, 19:35   #16
BHPian

ur right kutlee..i have been admirn safari since it was launched..but ..few days back i gota ride an OHC ( had never drivn one bfre)..ya manson safari is very comfortable..but OHC is smart n fact..i loved OHC handling.

GURUS polease help me .. post some more replies..n i wont be driving my car in mumbai much..i am here for a few ,months..i have my business back home..so i would take my car back home..i am here at mumbai for a few property deals..neways..help me..

and ya ane bhpian friend eagre enough to help me buy a new car ..help me mod it ( cosmetic n basic engine mods)..please i need help..
be there with me all the way ??
Old 14th November 2006, 20:44   #17
BHPian

OHC is the clear winner here unless u do serious offroading. & even for that i will suggest u go for a new safari. now that the prices for safari have been sliced it wud make even more sense.
Old 23rd November 2006, 21:18   #18
BHPian

may be i should go in for an OHC..well 1.3 or 1.5 ?? i mean is there iin notable difference in power output
Old 23rd November 2006, 22:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

The difference is 10 bhp.

1.3 - 90 bhp; 11.5 kgm torque
1.5 - 100 bhp; 13 kgm torque
Old 24th November 2006, 04:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

The differences are:
a) topline speed
b) gear shifting - the 1.3 is probably more 'involving'

Similarities:
a) top notch engine and oooh-the way it sounds at5.5k+
b) point-and-shoot ability
That said, have driven a 1.3 for 5+years, and only with a full load of 5 ppl + a loaded boot has it felt too underpowered. It definitely feels more capable than most other 1.3s around, and some 1.5s.
Old 24th November 2006, 06:55   #21

forget the safari,.. its a hassle to maintain that truck.. go for a 2000 or 2002 city 1.5 type 2.. if you can find a 1.5 then go with a 1.3 its a little slower but a very good overall car. i would recomend not to go for the old type 1's as most of them have been badly abused..and have a flaw in the rear suspension.
Old 24th November 2006, 13:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a comparison - elephant vs deer!
Old 24th November 2006, 14:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Wow what a comparison - elephant vs deer!
Well put Sandeep
Old 25th November 2006, 17:09   #24
BHPian

but i wanted to know 10 bhp om paper and 10 bhp on road..hows the difference?? difference in top speed?..
Old 25th November 2006, 17:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Top speed difference is strictly academic at the max the difference is going to be about 10 kmph. But due to the extra torque the 1.5 is much stronger low-down & in the mid-range and hence feels faster to drive.

The 1.3 is by no means bad but it needs to be revved a lot to get the best out of it.

With either of them you really can't go wrong.
Old 29th November 2006, 12:47   #26
BHPian

ok mods please close the topic...i have decided --- OHC !
thank you all you people for ur valuable suggestions and time.
Old 2nd December 2006, 22:36   #27

Hi,
This could have been me in Aug /Sep 06 and although I started with the intent to buy a used Honda City( upto 4 yrs old ) with the same budget that you have in mind, the HCs I saw were all flood affected and very low in seating height (old HCs). We upped our budget to 5L and things improved and we cut the vintage to 1-2 yrs only.Finally we singled out a NHC Gxi, 05, for 6L and were about to close the deal and then... it fell through.

We searched again and found a Safari Dicor 05 model in warranty <20,000Kms for 5.45L, with a 05 post monsoon vintage and bought that. You don't have to worry it being flood affected in Mumbai with a Safari(HA HA!)

Wonder if you know the following things, I am just telling you so that you don't go thru hardship and have deals that fall thru. Do this homework before you say "Yes" & after you have seen the Veh.
For Mumbai/ metro veh,if you give an application to concerned RTO for Rs. 20/= in 1-2 days, you get the exact report( who owned it / accident history etc)
Note down the number of the veh you like and give a letter in the RTO. You can contact the original owner & find out the details after the RTO gives you the details.
All authorised Vehicle garages are maintaining a computer database of service records of the vehicles serviced by them( all Honda & Tata service stations). Check the service history so that you know what all were done to the car) You can just do it on phone even without going to the Service Centre,they give you dates and what all repairs were done if you give them the name of the owner and the Veh no and even tell you how much they billed the client for.
I did this for the NHC and the Safari-Dicor I finally bought. Actually the NHC deal fell through because the guy who was trying to sell it to me was giving a totally diff history than the service centres.Also I managed to contact the 1st owner from whom this guy had bought the car and found he had bought it for much less than what he expected me to pay for it!. Finally with so many contradictory reports I did not buy the NHCGxi but the Safari Dicor.
Go thru times "Test Drive" on Fridays, ring up the used car dealers listed there and tell them your requirements. the price quoted there is inclusive of the 2% and registration dealers ( for most ).
There are a few used car websites,( I came across team BHP during my searches) like carwale.com, carsalesindia.com, automartindia etc from where you can do online search also.
One of these also gives the approx value of the car so that one comes to know how much to quote. Best thing is to take the car along with dealer / owner to the authorised service centre and get it checked from their guys only. I did this too.
Finally you pay and get the veh home! and then you find the oil leak in the rear left wheel and thank your stars you bought one under warranty for next six months and your bill with auth dealer is 500 bucks . Patience Pays!, but don't let a good deal slip away.
All the best for your New Wheels!
Safari Dude
Old 4th December 2006, 21:25   #28
BHPian

thanks a lot safari dude..that was a wonderful indepth report.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks