Team-BHP - Volkswagen Tiguan vs the others
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Volkswagen Tiguan vs the others (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/190760-volkswagen-tiguan-vs-others-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 4646292)
Honestly, Skoda India has better support from VWAG than even VW & Audi.

We owned a Skoda Laura, and presently own an Audi A6 & VW Tiguan.

Thank you. Will surely consider Skoda. Why did you choose tiguan over the rest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirWind (Post 4646658)
You will get used to the XXL size fairly soon, also (like the Jetta) it gets both front and rear parking sensors which helps navigate thru tight spots and heck, it can even self park... what more do you want?

That makes sense. Will ask the Ford SA to bring Endy and see how it fits our apartments narrow tunnels :deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astonite (Post 4647615)
Thank you. Will surely consider Skoda. Why did you choose tiguan over the rest?

Well, to be honest a combination of dad's bad back + increased outstation trips to Pune + road conditions during the monsoons (we picked up the Tiguan exactly a year back, just as the monsoons were subsiding) meant that we wanted an SUV as we were very happy with the S-Cross.
Prior to this, the S-Cross was the only semi-cross over and all the other cars at home were sedans.
Mom hates climbing into cars - Innova or higher were ruled out, even the Tiguan was borderline & often they use the Corolla for highway runs because of this ingress issue as mom has pain & swelling in her ankles at times.
Lastly, there was a parking space constraint - while a larger SUV (Endeavour) could fit into 1 parking, it would be restricted to that parking only and all other cars would have to be moved around to accommodate it.

This criteria automatically removed the Endy, Fortuner, and others from the list resulting in only the Kodiaq, Tiguan, Tucson, and X1 being there.
We had initially considered the Creta but the soft suspension and relative lack of VFM kept us away.

Out of these, the Tiguan had a great deal on it & was a great all rounder.
1) Tucson : Small price gap between Tucson & Tiguan. Tucson had better ride in the city + more power, but the Tiguan felt sturdier, was easier to drive, with nicer interiors, and impressive highway mannerisms.

2) Kodiaq : Didn't see the value in paying 5-6L more for a 3rd row that we would never use. I personally preferred the interiors of the Tiguan more. Only grouse is that the Kodiaq has a better boot space with the 3rd row down.

3) X1 : As a self driving SUV - if there are great deals available - this would be my pick. We skipped it however because it was 8-9L more expensive than the Tiguan, a little shorter on space, and to be honest - I didn't see any reason to spend the additional amount given our limited usage.

Coming to your point about it being self driven, and a narrow passage - just some thoughts :
1) The Tiguan is quite wide so keep that in mind - if you have a narrow road then the Endy wouldn't be a big issue but the length could be a hindrance while parking.
2) My wife loves driving the Tiguan - she has much better visibility than the C Class which is her daily drive. If your FIL is on the shorter side - he would appreciate this.
3) I'd request you to have a look at the X1 too. Maintenance is on par, with better service support, and if size isn't a problem (it's Jetta levels of spaciousness) - it could be a good upgrade. I didn't mention it earlier because I totally forgot about it - but now that I've revisited the topic, I really did like the car and there are good deals to be had!

Our Tiguan has covered a shade over 6200 kms in it's year with us, primarily highway trips to Pune, Mahabaleshwar, Nasik - and boy has it impressed us!

A recent trip to Mahabaleshwar, starting out from Bombay in the early evening complete with heavy rains & fog just showed how capable this car is. That trip included expressways, off roading patches (courtesy google maps who tried to save us from traffic), & ghat driving.

Giving it company was an Endy 3.2 & a new Creta Petrol. The Tiguan felt like the perfect all rounder in that set up - provided you aren't an aggressive power hungry driver.

Thank you. Excellent assement. Test drove X1 and Alturas today.
X1 - premium car, the moment I took the car out of showroom, there was a pothole which wasn't visible. A loud thud - for a second I thought something must have been broken, gladly nothing. Price is too high and for today they offered 3.5L discount without any negotiations for S line. The last contender of this search

Alturas - family loved it, feels good inside. SA was from VW where I got my polo. Size is massive and it entered our parking space with little trouble but that's OK clap:. Ride was on the harsher side - typical suv but haven't driven the Endy yet, so will reserve my judgment. Same as Seltos, the 360 degree camera stitching was horrible - wish they do something about it. I'm still not convinced that Mahindra after sales is going to be good but SA said it'll be better than VW and inexpensive to maintain. They have printed a service booklet that comes with the car on what to be replaced and when. 37.5L on road, worthy consideration next to tiguan. Endy test drive next - planning to buy a vehicle in October.

My choice is Benz GLA/ BMW X1/ Jeep Compass in that order of preference.

My choice would be the total under dog. Isuzu MU-X, in it's latest iteration and engine up grade, 4X4 and auto box, with all the other bells and whistles, is my favorite here. Tiguan takes the word "understated" to whole different level and is as exciting as a 'Katori of Dhai'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 4647683)

This criteria automatically removed the Endy, Fortuner, and others from the list resulting in only the Kodiaq, Tiguan, Tucson, and X1 being there.
We had initially considered the Creta but the soft suspension and relative lack of VFM kept us away.

We are in a similar situation. I am looking for an urban SUV for 3-4 ppl with 80% urban driving mostly by driver.
I am considering the Tiguan, X1 and Tucson and maybe the CRV.

The current offers on X1 and Tiguan make it attractive. I am also confused by the wait for BS6 or at least till Jan 2020 to better understand the situation.

I'm using a Tiguan in the US, and it is interesting how the same car is positioned against different cars in different countries. Here the choice came down to the Tiguan versus the CRV, primarily because these two came in at the right price point for the space. I ended up choosing the Tiguan over the CRV since I prefer the gearbox, I am not a CVT person at all. It has been a solid car, very agile and good steering feel for the segment. The only negative is the harsh ride quality.

In the context of this poll though, I would go for the Endeavor or Fortuner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astonite (Post 4648883)
I'm still not convinced that Mahindra after sales is going to be good but SA said it'll be better than VW and inexpensive to maintain. They have printed a service booklet that comes with the car on what to be replaced and when. 37.5L on road, worthy consideration next to tiguan. Endy test drive next - planning to buy a vehicle in October.

I drive a Scorpio and have no complaints with Mahindra aftersales / service. They are quite professional - ok, they will try to oversell some unnecessary things like most SAs do, but quickly stop that once they know you are aware of such things. Maintenance costs, if you stick to the service manual, are dirt cheap in any Mahindra (I've seen similar bills when I owned a Ritz some years back). The service centres may not be the most comfortable for waiting in, but perfectly adequate. Go for the Alturas by all means.

You can download a PDF of the service booklet here https://www.alturasg4.com/assets/pdf...ers-manual.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4725221)
I drive a Scorpio and have no complaints with Mahindra aftersales / service. They are quite professional - ok, they will try to oversell some unnecessary things like most SAs do, but quickly stop that once they know you are aware of such things. Maintenance costs, if you stick to the service manual, are dirt cheap in any Mahindra (I've seen similar bills when I owned a Ritz some years back). The service centres may not be the most comfortable for waiting in, but perfectly adequate. Go for the Alturas by all means.

You can download a PDF of the service booklet here https://www.alturasg4.com/assets/pdf...ers-manual.pdf

Thank you. Unexpected sad twist happened in last week of december - Jetta is up for sale currently :deadhorse , we are putting an hold on this new purchase till Q2 at least, will be getting a car around 20L in the next month or so (leaning towards Seltos 1.4 GTX+)

Thanks everyone for the help. Will bring this up again soon and hopefully some new products makes it a little more difficult to decide