Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which of the following will you choose?
Mahindra Scorpio 36 10.06%
Tata Safari Storme 28 7.82%
Mahindra XUV500 76 21.23%
Tata Hexa 178 49.72%
Hyundai Creta 30 8.38%
Renault Captur 1 0.28%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 2.51%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 22:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio vs the competition

I voted for the Storme.

Its top end the lowest priced amongst the SUVs (read that as XUV, Scorpio, XUV) and has pretty much everything that's relevant for a good SUV.
It definitely misses the toys and some electronics on the dash, but mechanically and engineering pov, its sorted.

cheers
lazy
Old 22nd February 2018, 00:08   #32
Team-BHP Support

The XUV scores marginally over the Creta for me owing to the 7 seats advantage. I would personally not invest in any other car mentioned in the poll.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 01:43   #33
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The XUV scores marginally over the Creta for me owing to the 7 seats advantage. I would personally not invest in any other car mentioned in the poll.
I share the same view. The Creta offers finesse which is lacking in the XUV, though the XUV hits back with its bigger size and it is afterall a whole segment above the Creta. Voted for the Creta.
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

I obviously voted for the Scorpio, because, according to my requirements, my SUV should have a 4-wheel-drive with low ratio transfer case (ladder frame isn't much of a requirement though).

Also, without the Low-range, a 4x4 makes very little sense in our climes.
Old 22nd February 2018, 18:54   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The facelift on the current version still irks me, and makes me think the silver tooth on the refresh version was much better in comparison.
So what did you vote for Benny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
For all its positives, the price of Scoprio has climbed up too much.
They are blatantly milking it as long as they can, just like the Bolero and Thar platforms, which isn't surprising for them, however, what hurts is their lack of willingness to at least provide basic improvements like reclining seats, better storage spaces and a slightly spacious middle row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
(i) Looks more like a proper SUV as apposed to the van like looks of a Hexa esp from side on.
This is one of the biggest reasons for the Hexa not selling as much as it should, coupled with the Aria memories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Its top end the lowest priced amongst the SUVs (read that as XUV, Scorpio, XUV) and has pretty much everything that's relevant for a good SUV.
Now that's an interesting observation, the Storme, which was amongst the most expensive, is now the the cheapest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The XUV scores marginally over the Creta for me owing to the 7 seats advantage.
A clear example of what smart investment in a futuristic platform can do to an OEM.
You think long term, you reap long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Why not the V-400 then? That too has low range.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 22:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Why not the V-400 then? That too has low range.
Absolutely Pertinent question!

The main reason I did/will not choose the Safari/Storme is because of the large overhangs and the front low-mounted intercooler that bears the risk of dislocation, should a small impact happen to the front bumper. The Scorpio has a better, much better, approach angle and besides that, the front subframe is old-school!

A pic that can show what the Scorpio can achieve, this is a known obstacle called "tabletop" at our local offroad haunt

Mahindra Scorpio vs the competition-img_0183.jpg

sharing 2 videos of the climb

1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 06:23   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So what did you vote for Benny?
I hadnt voted for anything earlier, Devdath. I initially posted to express my view on the Scorpio which figures on the title as well as on the poll. However, i have now gone ahead and voted for the XUV.

IMO, if i had the money, and had to choose from the list as on the poll, that's what i would get myself. To me, its a natural step up from the Scorpio, and would fulfill most of the use-cases i had subjected my Scorpio to.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:37   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I obviously voted for the Scorpio, because, according to my requirements, my SUV should have a 4-wheel-drive with low ratio transfer case (ladder frame isn't much of a requirement though).

If you take out the Sunday Kolkata Off road chapters from Scorpio's to do list, what would your choice be?
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A pic that can show what the Scorpio can achieve, this is a known obstacle called "tabletop" at our local offroad haunt

Attachment 1734026
And this pic is one of the major reasons why Scorpio has disappointed me so very much. It seems to love getting it's front air-borne at the slightest excuse off-road, robbing me of traction and control. These incidences happen at obstacles where almost every other SUV coolly climbs without drama. Mind you I have the latest model (Scorpio Refresh) which was supposed to have a better suspension!
The same chassis and suspension faults that lead this to happen, also compromise it's on road control and dynamics heavily, so much so, that I am extremely cautious while changing lanes, heavy braking or on the twisties. I am scared of the day when I have to make an evasive manoeuvre in the Scorpio, to save someone's life or mine!
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If you take out the Sunday Kolkata Off road chapters from Scorpio's to do list, what would your choice be?
Isuzu V-cross!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
And this pic is one of the major reasons why Scorpio has disappointed me so very much. It seems to love getting it's front air-borne at the slightest excuse off-road, robbing me of traction and control. These incidences happen at obstacles where almost every other SUV coolly climbs without drama. Mind you I have the latest model (Scorpio Refresh) which was supposed to have a better suspension!
The same chassis and suspension faults that lead this to happen, also compromise it's on road control and dynamics heavily, so much so, that I am extremely cautious while changing lanes, heavy braking or on the twisties. I am scared of the day when I have to make an evasive manoeuvre in the Scorpio, to save someone's life or mine!
Its not air-borne in the pic if you look carefully. However, you might have seen it in the videos. Getting air-borne was intentional though otherwise this obstacle does not let long-wheelbase vehicles through without beaching in the middle.

While I do agree that the front can easily be lifted due to the weight balance. I see that more of a convenience than a hurdle.

Having used the vehicle for quite a few years, I can control when I want to get airborne and when I want to crawl through along the ground.

Atleast its better than fixing a damaged intercooler!!
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 12:10   #41
BHPian

Interesting material to read, still confused!

4x4 options: Scorpio / Safari / VCross : which could be really good to buy taking all aspects ?

- prices are almost same, offerings are many apart
- 4x4 is not a daily usage
- most usage would be city and highways

I know a simple question wouldn't come with simple answers, but pls assist friends.
Old 24th February 2018, 14:04   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
After almost 3 years of owning a Scorpio 4WD, there is no way that I can cross my heart and vote for the Scorpio. It is one of the most badly engineered and unsafe vehicles on the road today. Thankfully it is on Lease and I return it in July this year. I am counting down to July!

Voted for the Hexa, although despite it's age the XUV is also a great product. Hard to believe that the XUV and the Scorpio both came from the same company.
Could you please share details about the lease? Prices? Company?
Old 24th February 2018, 20:40   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
4x4 options: Scorpio / Safari / VCross : which could be really good to buy taking all aspects ?

Each of them have their advantages and nobody can point a finger at either of these by completely negating the others. The main Pros & Cons I see in them are: -

V-400: -
Superb ride, most spacious 5 seater and the Safari charisma.

Cons: - Legacy Safari issues persist, zero features and inconsistent TML service.

Scorpio: - Proven reliability and abuse friendly, best engine/gb combo of the lot, Scorpio cult.

Cons: - Proven crash unworthiness, cramped middle row, iffy ride & expensive Mahindra service.

V Cross: - Best built of the 3, internationally acclaimed, niche vehicle that can serve as a great camping/outdoor tool.

Cons: - Jumpy rear, upright backrest for the rear row, generally useless load area and U-turn nightmares because of it.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 22:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Interesting material to read, still confused!

I know a simple question wouldn't come with simple answers, but pls assist friends.
Well! That brings us to an interesting conclusion. This is the leading automotive forum of our country and on this thread there is a poll that leads to indicate a "one-clear winner" the Tata Hexa. Yet you are confused about what to procure?!

Also the Tata Hexa doesn't even feature among the three vehicles you are finding difficulty to choose from! Doesn't the Hexa work for you? (It wouldn't for me also!!)

Is it that you hadn't noted the indication on this thread or there is a bigger question mark about the effectiveness/seriousness of the results of a poll on a forum!!

Quote:
Each of them have their advantages and nobody can point a finger at either of these by completely negating the others. The main Pros & Cons I see in them are: -
You summed up very well @Devdath, but I will add a few bits here

Quote:

Cons: - Proven crash unworthiness, cramped middle row, iffy ride & expensive Mahindra service.

You'll have to add that Mahindra has overpriced the Scorpio 4wd (which is only available in S11 now) quite illogically and it does even make sense to spend a bit more and go for the MU-X!

However, regarding the crash unworthiness, the only thing I would like to point out, is that its an old-school SUV benchmarked on the fabulous SUV's from the 90's. Infact even a 90's LR Discovery fared very badly against a modern Minivan in a crash test. However, I love that model of the discovery, if given a chance, I would love to own one new from the company (or even a Toyota Landcruiser 70 series - whatever be its crash test result), irrespective of its "new-day-crashworthiness".

I am a responsible driver and have spent more than 2.5 official decades driving old-school vehicles with safety features "appropriate" to their times without having caused damage to property, life or limb. Or being a threat to other road users. I don't really need to revisit my driving competence as some might need to.

Quote:
Cons: - Jumpy rear, upright backrest for the rear row, generally useless load area and U-turn nightmares because of it.
The Jumpy rear can actually be fixed by dummy load (sand bags). Also the V-cross pricing right now makes it very lucrative for procurement. Its a 5 seater all right, but the other vehicles with "proper" off-road credence (no "sophisticated" XUV500/Tata Hexa stuff) and extra seats don't have those extra seats conducive to long travels anyway.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 00:28   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Also the Tata Hexa doesn't even feature among the three vehicles you are finding difficulty to choose from! Doesn't the Hexa work for you? (It wouldn't for me also!!)
Sir, with all due respect :
yes, TeamBHP all articles and polls are really informative, no doubt on the overall quality.

the title of this thread is "Mahindra Scorpio vs the competition", so I believe Scorpio was the favorite to talk about? However as per poll update for now (total 276 voters at TBHP) Scorpio stands at 3rd (23 votes/8.33%), and Hyundia Creta at 4th place (22 vots/7.97%), yes at 1st position is Tata Hexa (141 votes/51.09%).

From a OTR pricing aspect, Hexa (4x4 variants) is even steeper by few lacs than few routine names like Scorpio, Safari, VCross (new kid on the block!), these three almost same pricing for 4x4s.

Just today I did speak to a VCross owner, all seems positive about this vehicle.
Few Real Big Negatives : Length related (parking / narrow lanes / IF any crazy hair-pin bends because of long wheel base). Bouncy Ride is not a very big issue, and possible can be addressed by some dead weight as rightly said by you. Rear Upright seat can also be addressed by custom seat covers. As a note, most VCross would opt for rubber lining and some 'cover' on the loading area - roller-shutter or lid or canopy etc, obviously under the 'accessory' category. And vehicle supports variety of customization as per needs & taste.

And finally, as they say, to each its own, and we respect all's machines.

Just FYI, my 2010 Xylo E6 is now ~197000 KM and turning 8 years this June'18, done many memorable trips. Engine is good, some suspension matters (again!) can be sorted out, some denting (including repairs of rusts) and regular maintenance will keep it running for more time. But some day (when?!) will have to buy another vehicle, preferably a 4x4 SUV. Actually this May month again planning for a long trip to North side, so many thoughts going in mind, including the $$ factor!

Sad that MM pushed 4x4 to even expensive S11. Im trying to find from MM (any contacts pls ??) if any possibility to get new (previous model) S4+ or S10+ models at good discounted rates. Wish. Lets see what lies ahead for me! Wishing all happy & safe miles.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks