Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2020, 14:31   #61
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Re: Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4

As a matter of fact, How about a 2.4L AT Grand Vitara? Brilliant car. But till how much longer will spare parts be available? If someone can assure me that another 5 years, then I'll take the plunge.
Old 10th June 2020, 18:19   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
As a matter of fact, How about a 2.4L AT Grand Vitara? Brilliant car. But till how much longer will spare parts be available? If someone can assure me that another 5 years, then I'll take the plunge.
GV is a wonderful car. Parts can be sourced if required from Thailand and Dubai and similar places. But you’ll need a good independent garage to help fix it when needed. Maruti Service hasnt a clue about these niche vehicles.
But the GV is getting long in the tooth. At best you ll probably get a 12-15 year old car. So it will have to be your second or third car. It just cannot be your ONLY car.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 13:32   #63
BHPian

Okay, fellow members. An update.

After a lot of research and deliberation, it is down to three contenders and all of them are RWD ATs:

1) Hexa XTA (2017~): The South-India sales director of our tech vendor owns an XTA. We casually went on an 80km drive as we are both Army brats and that works.
Pros:
-ICE sound quality punches above it's class. Takes metal and classical alike and with ease. Found it slightly better than W204 C220's Logic 7
-Service cost and parts availability
-Well-sorted suspension and road manners
-Best looking interiors and tech amongst the three contenders (plus ambient lighting)
-Most efficient and most gears
Cons:
-Vehicle seems reliable but Tata service
-External design looks great but still van-like
-Installation of aftermarket things (Ironman stuff, aux lights and 360 camera) seems harder than other two
-Potato headlights (will pop LEDs)
-Lowest GC among the lot (200mm)
-Vehicles don't treat you the same as the other two

2) Fortuner 4x2 AT (2012-14): Cousin lent it to me for a day.
Pros:
-The looks! THE LOOKS!
-Built for abuse and takes it well
-Reliability (due to less electronic intervention) and Service center spread
-Self Levelling HIDs (will pop LEDs anyway. Bi-LED projector fitment for high beam)
-Modding capability. It's like the Freelancer/Skyrim/Half-Life of cars. Anything and everything fits and works
-Nice seats
Cons:
-Bone-rattling suspension and unsettled ride. Reminds me of the E90 3 series
-Interior way too basic and looks like the 90's
-Lowest mileage in the lot
-4 speed autobox. Had no issues while driving but 4?
-Way too pricey for a 6-8 year old vehicle
-Too common/bad guy image
-Brakes. Acceptable considering my driving manners but doesn't hurt to have extra stopping power
-ICE not bad but doesn't quite cut the cake either
-Mom hates it for some reason

3) Pajero Sport 4x2 AT (2012-14)
Pros: Borrowed for a day from someone who's like a sort of an elder sister.
-The appearance of this particular vehicle. To quote Mr. Clarkson, "I can't even look at one of these because I get sexually excited."
-Interiors are way better than T-Fort but a bit lower than Hexa
-Massive paddle shifters (reminds me of the outlander)
-Great 2.5L with an incredible balance between power and FE
-Modding. Another open sandbox
-Decent gearbox
-Felt more comfortable than Hexa
-Smallest in size. Nightmare cities like Bangalore would still be an issue, though
-Would be my final choice but the cons are serious and not related to the vehicle's abilities itself
Cons:
-Mitsubishi's wonky service network and parts availability. Possibly the only thing keeping me from discarding the other two options. Are they in? Are they out? Can't get a clear answer from anyone
-Great AT but still 5 speed
-ICE better than T-Fort but inferior to Hexa
-Potato headlights (have LED plans anyway, Bi-LED for high beam slot anyway)

:=> Minor and moderate offroading will be taken care of using traction planks, snow chains and winch . Kindly provide input

Thanks
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 14:32   #64
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner is the safe bet if you can afford it. Nothing beats the reliability of a fortuner. And it commands more road respect compared to the other two. Hexa will visit the service center more often than a Fortuner. What you are paying extra for fortuner is the cost of those unwanted service centre visit for niggles. Hexa has more airbags and I felt the sheet metal is tougher than the Toyota body. So it may be slightly more safe.

I would strongly suggest against Pajero sport. It may be more reliable than Hexa, but something without ASS support is a big risk.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 12:08   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Fortuner is the safe bet if you can afford it. Nothing beats the reliability of a fortuner. And it commands more road respect compared to the other two. Hexa will visit the service center more often than a Fortuner. What you are paying extra for fortuner is the cost of those unwanted service centre visit for niggles. Hexa has more airbags and I felt the sheet metal is tougher than the Toyota body. So it may be slightly more safe.

I would strongly suggest against Pajero sport. It may be more reliable than Hexa, but something without ASS support is a big risk.
Thank you. Actually, by the years I have marked, all three fall in the 10-14L bracket. To be honest, I've like the Fortuner from the start. However, Pajero looks better and has paddle shifters. Beyond that, I don't see any ups. Might stick with Fortuner. Are they any brake mods the for Fortuner? Besides, Mitsubishi is planning a comeback. How true is that?
Old 2nd October 2020, 21:29   #66
BHPian

Quick update. I've decided on a premium update, but in Segmentum III. Superb was a part of Segmentum I. I am approaching II, hence decided to cut budget by a significant margin. Now eyes are on some interesting vehicles:-

1) 2013-2016 Ecosport 1.5 Petrol DCT
2) Duster Easy-R AMT 110PS
3) 2010-12 Endeavour AT - Are parts readily available if I drive into a dealership (small lead time of 3-4 days is acceptable as well)?
4) 3rd Gen CR-V (CVT AWD) - Parts and mileage??

I request some kind suggestions. No matter what it is, it will get a remap and few upgrades. Car would be used for city commuting as well as highways and hills (basically would go everywhere). A bit pricey service and parts are fine (anything cheaper than the Superb) provided that the parts are easily available. Was considering these as well:

1) Facelifted Outlander (Parts/Service is a big question)
2) Captiva (same issue as the above)
3) 2012 Fortuner 4x2 (still way too pricey)
4) 2013 CR-V 4WD (same as above and really bad AWD)

*sigh* I wish I was a more affluent man and Tata had a 6-speed Torque Converter Safari.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 2nd October 2020 at 21:29. Reason: Question mark
Old 12th October 2020, 01:03   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
3) 2010-12 Endeavour AT - Are parts readily available if I drive into a dealership (small lead time of 3-4 days is acceptable as well)?
I've experienced really good service from Ford in a newer Endeavour but do spot the occasional older gen when I visit the Service Center. Met an owner of the 2011 Endeavour last time and he was quite happy with the car and the service provided.
ChargedGarage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 08:15   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedGarage View Post
Met an owner of the 2011 Endeavour last time and he was quite happy with the car and the service provided.
Thank you. I shall attempt to test the waters with a 2013-14 3.0 4x4 AT soon enough. Probably will buy it from NCR and get it re-register here in Lucknow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks