Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2019, 11:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which pre-owned 4x4 should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiraj View Post
1. Is it worth the hassle at 140k odo reading?
2. What should be fair price?
3. The service history shows all the periodic repairs carried out timely with only two major repairs, Clutch replacement at 80k and Front Suspension Arm and Ball joint replacement at 120k km. Do these repairs look out of place?
4. I see T/M oil being changed 4 times, 25k, 40k, 60k and 80k km intervals. And after 80k, there has been no T/M Oil change. Is this normal?
5. Last Service Recommendations are "POWER STEERING OIL LEAKAGE ,POWER STEERING NEED CHANGE". Any idea if this is complete assembly or only power steering pump?
There is every likelihood of accident repairs being carried out outside the ASS if the odo has been tampered. And quite possibly ownership not at all changed after the first, careful owner sold it at 80k. Someone drove it another 60k (probably reset it to 0 at 80k after buying and drove it, probably drove it like a rural taxi) and then sold it with the first owner's papers.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 12:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Someone drove it another 60k (probably reset it to 0 at 80k after buying and drove it, probably drove it like a rural taxi) and then sold it with the first owner's papers.
Just wondering who can afford poor mileage of GV as a taxi
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 13:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Just wondering who can afford poor mileage of GV as a taxi
It didnt cost the dealer a penny to put it to whatever use he wanted, beyond diesel costs. He only had to monkey with the odo and resell it.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 14:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It didnt cost the dealer a penny to put it to whatever use he wanted, beyond diesel costs. He only had to monkey with the odo and resell it.
GV never came in diesel
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 14:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
GV never came in diesel
My bad, fuel costs. Though I am not at all sure why someone would use a gas guzzler petrol SUV for that long without being an enthusiast in which case it'd be lovingly serviced. This one seems to have seen a complete drop off in service after 80k km - forget doing it at an FNG, issues don't seem to have been touched all that much. Weird.
Old 30th May 2019, 20:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
140K kms means a lot of things like Engine belt, plugs, various hoses and possibly ac require overhaul. Water pump seals leakage is also possible.
I have attached the service record of the vehicle here. Experts can comment on it.
I do not have a way to communicate with these members since I do not have PM facility yet. Is there any other way I can get in touch with fellow BHPians?
What puzzles me though is, is it a routine service schedule to change T/M Oil so frequently?

Quote:
There is every likelihood of accident repairs being carried out outside the ASS if the odo has been tampered. And quite possibly ownership not at all changed after the first, careful owner sold it at 80k. Someone drove it another 60k (probably reset it to 0 at 80k after buying and drove it, probably drove it like a rural taxi) and then sold it with the first owner's papers.
Quote:
My bad, fuel costs. Though I am not at all sure why someone would use a gas guzzler petrol SUV for that long without being an enthusiast in which case it'd be lovingly serviced. This one seems to have seen a complete drop off in service after 80k km - forget doing it at an FNG, issues don't seem to have been touched all that much. Weird.
Looking at the service records, I believe the odo tampering has happened after last service, probably after owner company decided to sell this vehicle. What say?
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Service Record.xlsx (16.7 KB, 202 views)
yogiraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 06:45   #37
BHPian

I had a look at the records. The ownership is clean as evidenced by the regular servicing.

A couple of points struck me :-
1. Hard gear shifting is a recurrent complaint. That may be why the MT oil was changed so frequently.
2. Engine belt has been changed twice - the second time after only 20k kms. That needs to be investigated.
3. Steering pump noise and leakage
4. Braking complaint throughout.

Contact me on 9423005043.
Old 5th June 2019, 11:14   #38
BHPian

Have a 2007 GV 2.0 MT. Recently crossed 1.17lac kms.. issues / repairs carried out - front shocks changed, engine mounts, steering fluid leak, lower arm replacement & AC compressor clutch plate replacement. I bought mine at 92K. Most of the parts on the list are common replacements on a GV as I understand it crosses 1 lac.

That's going to be always an issue when you buy a 8-10 year vehicle.
prateekswarup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 08:57   #39
BHPian

Hi Yogiraj,

I am in the same boat as you. Wanted to check if you were able to find and buy the 7 seater 4x4 SUV you liked, if yes, which one, and at what price? And how has the post-purchase experience been?

Your experience would be of great help to me.

Thanks.
Old 1st March 2020, 19:52   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiraj View Post
Thanks hserus!

Well, that's because I am looking at something that has a low ratio transfer case. I missed to mention it in my original post, but have added the requirement as a reply to one of the posts.

Well again, lack of low ratio transfer case is what keeps me away.

Thanks,

Yogi.
You have mentioned the "lack of low ration transfer case". Request you to kindly elaborate on this, since I am looking for owning a used Nissan X Trail.

Thanks,
Old 7th March 2020, 22:56   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrashDalvoy View Post
You have mentioned the "lack of low ration transfer case". Request you to kindly elaborate on this, since I am looking for owning a used Nissan X Trail.

Thanks,
I can elaborate this. A traditional 4WD system with low ratio transfer case generally has two modes which is 4H-4L (H- High, L- Low). In 4H the power is transmitted to all the 4 wheels whereas in 4L mode the power reduces and the torque is higher by 3 times. As the off road gurus say, Whenever you are struck in a tricky situation such as snow, slush, sand or mud first try using 4H and even if it doesn’t help, try 4L. Very few cars these days come with low ratio transfer case most of them are either AWD or a 4WD system without low ratio transfer case.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 13:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
I can elaborate this. A traditional 4WD system with low ratio transfer case generally has two modes which is 4H-4L (H- High, L- Low). In 4H the power is transmitted to all the 4 wheels whereas in 4L mode the power reduces and the torque is higher by 3 times. As the off road gurus say, Whenever you are struck in a tricky situation such as snow, slush, sand or mud first try using 4H and even if it doesn’t help, try 4L. Very few cars these days come with low ratio transfer case most of them are either AWD or a 4WD system without low ratio transfer case.
Force Gurkha - low ratio transfer case AND differential lock. Add to it horrible build quality, no shortage of niggles and shady service on what is a robust originally merc design.
Old 8th March 2020, 18:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Force Gurkha - low ratio transfer case AND differential lock. Add to it horrible build quality, no shortage of niggles and shady service on what is a robust originally merc design.
I am not sure about the poor build quality, because it looks solidly built. However, the niggles and service issues are a big pain with the Gurkha. But would like to add one thing if you look in isolation, Gurkha is better in off road than it’s competitors and it’s the only vehicle at that price band which comes with front and rear manually operated diff locks (big advantage when you go off road).

Last edited by abhikb : 8th March 2020 at 18:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks