Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 22:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a used Mitsubishi Pajero SFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
One question: What is the typical FE pajero gives?
I do not drive my Pajero in city so no idea on city economy but I have been consistently getting 10-plus kmpl on highways, with a/c on 95% of the time. Do note, however, that I am a very sedate driver and cruise at 90-95 kmph most of the time. I have come to realize that Pajero's sweet spot is ~2500 RPM, anything more and the engine guzzles diesel like nobody's business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
ps - have you considered a Scorpio for your needs? About the same size and form factor as the Pajero, and more up to date.
With all due respect to the Scorpio, these two vehicles are in completely different leagues altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
I searched for the ASC on google, it’s located not far from my place and has good reviews/ ratings as well posted on google.
Good to hear that Do confirm with Tejas once, if you can.

Quote:
What’s the difference between a 2007 Pajero GLX and 2008 Pajero SFX?
Key changes were - a new, more boxy bodyline, chunkier tyres (265 as opposed to 235), wider track, GC increased from 190 mm to 205 mm, slightly better approach and ramp-breakover angles, and slight changes to interiors. Refer to this (New Pajero SFX) post for details. If you are getting a good example in GLX, go for it! It is as good as the SFX, but for a slightly lesser GC and not as imposing a stance.

Quote:
SFX if I remember correctly had wider flares, airbags (not sure of this). Only major update was BSIV around 2012 which actually reduced the power output.
Airbags were introduced in the GLX as well, around 2006. BSIV SFX was launched around Q1 of 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
That said, Am I happy with my Pajero? Hell YES!
Agree on most of the points, Dhanush. Your Pajero looks swell.

@iron - I suggest that you TD a pre-owned Pajero as well as a pre-owned Fortuner, and decide between the two of them. Once decided, plan for next steps.

Last edited by cool_dube : 21st August 2019 at 22:20.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 16:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
One question:
What is the typical FE pajero gives? How is it compared to fortuner?
Owners tell me it is a dismal 5-6 in town and max 10 kpl on highway
Does FE also get down with age?
hi
1.My 2008 Pajero, done about 11000 kms has been consistently giving me 8.75 to 9.5 in mix cycle driving.
2. looking at your usage, i can vouch that the Pajero is capable of much more then what you intend to do with it.
3. i have used it as a Recce vehicle for the RFC in Goa, and believe me, it will do whatever a Thar with MLD would do.
4. only downside i see, is that you get a feeling of sitting HIGH up, not to many peoples liking
whitemm550 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:31   #18
BHPian

Mod Note: Post edited. Please DO NOT post replies inline in BOLD, use Quote instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I've heard other members opine that the Scorpio ...........................but I just thought I could perhaps get your take on the topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The FE will certainly reduce but a little care and ..........................................ds? About the same size and form factor as the Pajero, and more up to date.
The scorpio never appealed to me in any of its forms old gen , new gen, face lift etc. so never considered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Well, if you are looking to replace your primary car with the Pajero - Dont.
[*]Parts availability, though easy is not over the counter like needed for a primary car.
Does this hold true for all spares?
Consumables? bushes? etc

Quote:
[*]FE is bad considering a primary car. Expect 6-8 in City and 7-9 in highways.
I am reading contrasting views on FE. I guess it all comes down to driving styles. My Elantra offers around 9 in the city if i drive with a light foot, Highway is marginally better. And I am okay with this.

Quote:
[*]The worst and probably the best part is the engine. If you've driven a .......................... pretty fast and stay there. The stock Pajero is a slouch and will take ages to reach 100.
My driving style is sedate, I don't like to rip so this may work for me.

Quote:
[*]All Pajeros now available would be atleast 6 years old.........................ear-old premium car as a primary car.

[*]Not all workshops repair the Pajero, make sure you have one nearby or else they'll mess with your car and pocket.
My worries in order listed below.

Quote:
  1. Getting a good car
  2. Easy availability of spares, atleast the ones which are regularly changed as per schedule.
  3. Technical expertise required to service and resolve issues in mumbai. Came across threads where bhpians have spent a good amount of their hard earned money because the diagnosis of the problem by the mech was quite inaccurate.
Quote:
That said, Am I happy with my Pajero? Hell YES!
Why did you have to throw this googly at me after listing all the cons!!

Quote:
With the current prices, the vehicle is an absolute value for money. You can get .......probably the best in:
  • Road Handling. Slot it into 4H and you can eat up the ghats with a 3-ton mammoth. Will leave peoples jaw hanging.
  • Comfort, especially Middle seat.
  • Superb offroad capability. With a good bumper design, it can do probably everything a Thar can.
  • Again, extremely comfortable and agile while offroading.
  • Very reliable vehicle.
  • Absolutely awesome seating position all around. Great visibility and ergonomics. Not truck-like, but definitely not car-like. Can command the road as a king.
  • Great low end. Along with great visibility, makes it driving in town so much fun.
  • Scope for unlimited modifications. All major offroad parts suppliers have bolt-on suspension, camping and mechanical mods.

Well now - The choice is yours.
Thanks for the reassurance, Points no 3 and 8 wont be seeing much light as i dont plan on specifically offroading the vehicle and will mostly keep it bone stock.

Quote:
Here's mine:

Attachment 1907443
That's a Beauty. Looks fabulous!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I do not drive my Pajero in city so no idea on ...................anything more and the engine guzzles diesel like nobody's business.

Diff between GLX & SFX (New Pajero SFX)
Thanks for link will go through it

OK, so I did TD the 54k pajero. Left work early and headed straight to the dealers'
It was 6pm in the evening and rush hour mumbai traffic is unforgiving.
Did not get to drive it for longer distance either as traffic conditions would have been the same.
My observations are
1) Car has been repainted.
2) Clutch is making khi-khi noise when pressed and released
3) ABS shows a malfunction
4) Seats are covered so could not check the original covers, Seat covers do need replacement.
5) Could not check the floor boards either as it was carpeted in rexin/leather and it was getting dark.
6)Tyres look recently changed to Yokos AT, have a good amount of thread left
7)Car was being driven in 4WD when it was brought to for a TD :facepalm:

Asked the dealer genuineness of the 54k done and he was extremely confident that odo has not been tampered with at all and its all genuine. Dealer even offered to have the car taken to the ASC to check for the service records along with me.
Will sort out my work schedule and do that as well.

Two important questions I have missed out on asking in the forum.
1)Me Being a 6 footer how is the leg room- knee room for the driver?
While taking the TD I found it rather cramped.
I shifted the seat behind to the point it would not go behind any further.

2) can some one explain the operation or point out any video on the operation of the SS 4X4.

The car was bought out for a TD ON 4H.
I did shift the lever in 2H while i started my TD but the 4X4 console lights
showed the front wheels blinking?
Is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
hi
1.My 2008 Pajero, done about 11000 kms has been consistently giving me 8.75 to 9.5 in mix cycle driving.
4. only downside i see, is that you get a feeling of sitting HIGH up, not to many peoples liking
11000kms in 11 years
Are your sure that's not a typo? Missing one more zero?

I like the feeling of sitting high up, this will work for me.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd August 2019 at 12:41.
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My observations are:
Of all these, I would be most worried about the first one - why was it repainted? What does the dealer/owner have to say about this? You better get it checked for any accidental damage.

All other issues are minor and can be easily rectified. As I said, clutch would most probably need to be replaced. If tyres are good, you save a good 40-45 K on your "restoration' budget. On the 4WD mode - as long as it was 4H (and not 4HLc or 4LLc), no worries, as Pajero SFX has a center diff which is open in 4H mode and hence, the car can be driven on tarmac.

If the dealer has offered to get the car checked at ASC, go for it if you really like it. Check for service history as well, if available at the ASC.

Quote:
Me Being a 6 footer how is the leg room- knee room for the driver?
It is a little cramped for tall individuals. You might have to live with that.

Quote:
can some one explain the operation or point out any video on the operation of the SS 4X4.
Here you go - from the brochure:

Buying a used Mitsubishi Pajero SFX-ssii.jpg

Quote:
I did shift the lever in 2H while i started my TD but the 4X4 console lights showed the front wheels blinking? Is this normal?
Please refer to one of my previous posts - this is a common issue with the Pajero and can be rectified with basic troubleshooting or, worst case, by replacing the vacuum solenoids that engage the front prop shaft. Again, a simple fix for a good mech.

Another suggestion - please do not rush into this. Take a look at 2-3 more Pajeros so that you can compare and take a call. Also, TD a Fortuner too, unless you have ruled it out altogether.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 01:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Of all these, .................................................. tal damage.
Hi cooldube
Sorry for the late reply, was out with family for a vacation, then returned with viral flu so could not update the thread. Still recovering.

Front and rear body line looks clean, the explanation is 11 year old needed a touch up thats why a repaint. Is there anyway to find out from the insurance policy if its been in an accident and body work done?

Quote:
All other issues ar.......eed to be replaced. .............ence, the car can be driven on tarmac.
Any idea what would be the cost of the clutch replacement?

Quote:
If the dealer has offered to get the..............................s. You might have to live with that.

I will be doing the ASC check as soon as I am recover from this flu.
In 'traveler's" thread he has mentioned a relatively easy fix to extract more leg room by moving the seat slightly behind which can be easily done.
Thanks for the brochure pic. I also came across a video on youtube explaining the same.

Quote:
Another suggestion - please do not rush into this. Take a look at 2-3 more Pajeros so that you can compare and take a call. Also, TD a Fortuner too, unless you have ruled it out altogether.
Don t worry. I am not rushing into anything. Will take my time to assess and then decide.
Regarding the Tfort I agree it just cant be ignored, the mind says Tfort but the heart says Pajero.

Read through traveler's' thread on his Dark Horse and one the primary reasons IMO for his fuss free (baring a few instances) ownership was that he was technically inclined to understand the working of his pajero and undertake preventive /corrective measures by himself, instruct / train the mechanic, availability of spares via chandigarh outlet, a good FNG garage in bangalore where he shifted later.

In my case I am not too technically inclined and i am still to get any word from mumbai owners on the spares availability here , quality of ASC, Competent FNGs for paj which is becoming a gray area for me.

If the pajero does not work out at all and thats a BIG IF, option no 2 is the TFort.
Old 28th August 2019, 08:24   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the brochure pic. I also came across a video on Youtube explaining the same.
As cool_dube has explained below.

Quote:
On the 4WD mode - as long as it was 4H (and not 4HLc or 4LLc), no worries, as Pajero SFX has a center diff which is open in 4H mode and hence, the car can be driven on tarmac.
When in 4H, the Pajero drives in AWD mode, and is highly recommended when driving in the wet, or in conditions where additional grip is required - including going up inclines.

Quote:
Please refer to one of my previous posts - this is a common issue with the Pajero and can be rectified with basic troubleshooting or, worst case, by replacing the vacuum solenoids that engage the front prop shaft. Again, a simple fix for a good mech.
Agreed. Have seen this issue reported on the Pajero Club forum as well.

Quote:
In my case I am not too technically inclined and i am still to get any word from mumbai owners on the spares availability here , quality of ASC, Competent FNGs for paj which is becoming a gray area for me.
Since you are in Mumbai, speak with Tejas and you could get access to the FNG he uses.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 09:57   #22
BHPian

@iron sorry to hijack your thread. Chanced on used Pajero and didnt want to open similar thread as yours.

I am in chennai and looking to replace my Safari. Came across Pajero 2.5 MT - 2016 Model @ 30,000 KM and single owner. Seems to me vehicle is well maintained and have not done much of off-roading. I need to get it verified by a mechanic though.

I am worried about the Mitsubishi service center and want to know a reliable service shop/ mechanic in Chennai.

Second, asking price is 20L. Its certainly a stretch of my budget. Orange book shows a value of 18L. Not sure if the owner will come that much down. I am in dilemma whether I should spend this much
Old 28th August 2019, 10:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
As cool_dube has explained below.
When in 4H, the Pajero drives in AWD mode, and is highly recommended when driving in the wet, or in conditions where additional grip is required - including going up inclines.
hi Ben
Posting the video link for everyone's reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Since you are in Mumbai, speak with Tejas and you could get access to the FNG he uses.
I have messaged him individually, eagerly awaiting for his revert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
@iron sorry to hijack your thread. Chanced on used Pajero ..............s yours..........d spend this much
Hi Druva
Sure! please hop in. Just a heads up my queries are specific to the pajero SFX/GLX. These models came with the IDI Engine. I think the production for these ended in 2012-13.
The 2016 model you mention must be a pajero sport which is a completely different model. This came with the Common rail diesel engine.

Last edited by iron : 28th August 2019 at 10:18.
Old 28th August 2019, 12:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont worry about spares in Bombay, I bought a SFX in March and did major service along with few repairs (mostly electronics and mechanicals). All spares were purchased from Bombay and were available of the shelf (including few not so common spares).
Lot of Pajero were sold in west India leading to enough spares availability.
Shubhendra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 12:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, was out with family for a vacation, then returned with viral flu so could not update the thread. Still recovering.
Wish you a speedy recovery!

Quote:
Front and rear body line looks clean, the explanation is 11 year old needed a touch up thats why a repaint. Is there anyway to find out from the insurance policy if its been in an accident and body work done?
Quite possible that the previous owner would have got it repainted just to give it a fresh look, although not many would do that for a 10+ yr old car, given the expenses involved. A good mechanic would be able to identify frame/chassis damage within 15 min of visual inspection - there are quite a few giveaways. Best option is to take it to a trusted mechanic/FNG for this.

Quote:
Any idea what would be the cost of the clutch replacement?
OE clutch kit (make: Valeo) will cost you around 35K. You will have to replace the transmission (including transfer case) oil as well since the gearbox will have to be brought down for clutch replacement - this would cost you around 2.5K. Labor will depend on the garage - should be in the range of 3-4K (much higher at ASC). I'd say you should budget ~45K for this. If you choose to go with non-OE brands like Exedy (will do the job but not to perfection) then you can save around 15K or so on the cost of the kit.

Quote:
I will be doing the ASC check as soon as I am recovered from this flu.
Do ensure that the ASC is trustworthy. I too got my Pajero inspected by the ASC before I bought it and in hindsight, they only pointed out high level expenses like brake discs/pads, oils etc. I ended up spending more than double of what they quoted initially. Net-net, as I said earlier, be prepared to spend some time and money to get the truck back in shape.

Quote:
In 'traveler's" thread he has mentioned a relatively easy fix to extract more leg room by moving the seat slightly behind which can be easily done.
Yes, worth a shot.

Quote:
Regarding the Tfort I agree it just cant be ignored, the mind says Tfort but the heart says Pajero.
I know exactly how you feel. The only pain point with the Pajero would be support, unless you are lucky enough to find a good, reliable ASC. The biggest peace of mind with the Fortuner would be the excellent Toyota ASC.

Quote:
Read through traveler's' thread on his Dark Horse and one the primary reasons IMO for his fuss free (baring a few instances) ownership was that he was technically inclined to understand the working of his pajero and undertake preventive /corrective measures by himself, instruct / train the mechanic, availability of spares via chandigarh outlet, a good FNG garage in bangalore where he shifted later.
Precisely!! If you have a similar temperament, go for the Pajero - there is no other truck like it - almost nil electronics, solid mechanicals, and looks to die for. If you would rather have a fill it-shut it-forget it ownership, go for the Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Came across Pajero 2.5 MT - 2016 Model @ 30,000 KM and single owner.
As iron said, this is the Pajero Sport, a completely different car. As long as you can get a good FNG to maintain it, should be a good buy as it does not command a good resale and can be a real sweet deal.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 12:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

its a versatile vehicle, not a highway cruiser but actually has go anywhere capability. Once serviced PROPERLY with GENUINE spares, its actually trouble free vehicle. My relative has 2 SFX with cumulative run of 6 lacs + kms in dusty hinterlands of central India and driven by various drivers. Both vehicles are still going strong. I have few more such stories from my near and dear ones to.
It can give you some great memories

Buying a used Mitsubishi Pajero SFX-69575675_10157497902837453_8871550065680842752_o.jpg
Shubhendra is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 09:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dont worry about spares in Bombay, I b..........Lot of Pajero were sold in west India leading to enough spares availability.
That is quite reassuring. Did you get the full service done in Bombay itself?

Quote:
Wish you a speedy recovery!

Quite possible that the previous owner would have got it repainted just to ..................- there are quite a few giveaways. Best option is to take it to a trusted mechanic/FNG for this.
Thanks, Its just an overcoat that has been done. Can You please post some pics of your Pajero's floor boards and the original leather seats.

Quote:
OE clutch kit (make: Valeo) will cost you around 35K. ......... like Exedy (will do the job but not to perfection) then you can save around 15K or so on the cost of the kit.
I will stick to OEM, Over at Traveler's thread his review on the Exedy clutch unit is not in its favor.
Thanks for the cost break up. It will definitely help.

Quote:
Do ensure that the ASC is trustworthy.............. I said earlier, be prepared to spend some time and money to get the truck back in shape.
Can you please post the break up of the things you did on your pajero along with cost?

Quote:
its a versatile vehicle, not a highway cruiser ........ I have few more such stories from my near and dear ones to.
It can give you some great memories

Attachment 1910830
That's a lovely picture, Its quite reassuring to hear stories about the Pajero's reliability. I only further strengthens my resolve to purchase one.
Can You please post some pics of your Pajero's floor boards and the original leather seats.
Old 30th August 2019, 11:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is quite reassuring. Did you get the full service done in Bombay itself?

Can You please post some pics of your Pajero's floor boards and the original leather seats.
No, as i currently stay in Poona, servicing was done here. all procurement was done from Bombay (we used to order in evening and get parts next day morning)

vehicle is currently visiting MP for few months, need to ask driver if he can click few pics. If you have any question around authenticity of these two items, you can ask to the group.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 23:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
No, as i currently stay in Poona, servicing was done here. all procurement was done from Bombay (we used to order in evening and get parts next day morning)
Can you share how much you paid for your Pajero, the parts ordered and the prices?

Quote:
vehicle is currently visiting MP for few months, need to ask driver if he can click few pics. If you have any question around authenticity of these two items, you can ask to the group.

Shubhendra
My purpose of asking for pics is i want to see to how the OEM seats and floor boards look in well maintained cars. The wear and tear visible after use.

In the cars i have been checking out most seats have after market seat covers plonked on them and floor boards with carpets stuck on them to hide the wear and tear.

Some also have rust marks as well on the metal tracks of the seat adjustment mechanism Or the metal rails painted with a fresh coat of black.

I would assume that rusting & wearing out of seat upholstery would be normal in 9-10 year old cars more so in a city like mumbai with its weather.

But in my experience cars used for off roading and not being cleaned inside out immediately after the session , used for water fording and water not drained being and dried immediately are tell tale signs of neglect.

Even flood affected cars are patched up to make them seem running so they sell.

This neglect later results in patch ups jobs like stuck on carpet, or stuck on seat covers to hide the damage done.
Old 1st September 2019, 12:54   #30
BHPian

One more dilemma

The number of BS3 pajero's for sale outnumber BS4 ones.

Assuming I pick up a BS3 pajero what would be the implications once the BS6 norms are implemented in April 20.

Will a BS3 engine able to run BS6 diesel without any fuss?

Since the engine in a Pajero is an IDI Engine and not a Common rail how would it behave with BS6 Diesel?

In places where BS6 diesel is sold any existing owners tanked up to share their experience?

FC for the vehicle while renewal of the RC 4-5 years down the line?

I was going through threads and discussion happening is tilted more towards BS4 vs BS6 and subsequent effect on the diesel injectors.
Nothing mentioned on BS3

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks