Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2020, 11:14   #16
BANNED

Re: Kia Seltos vs Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
Here are our requirements.
  • We want it to feel like a proper upgrade
  • We need those extra airbags since the kid is going to be spending the next 4 years in the car seat in the back.

With a budget for an SUV that can be stretched to 20L on-road, our options now include.
Get the Creta as it is great on the inside and feels premium over the Seltos (I am not suggesting because I own the first generation one).

Looks-wise, Seltos is a clear winner, no doubt but from your post, it can be deduced that you are okay with the looks of the Creta. Both these cars getting popular, it will flood the market faster and every 4 or 5 car would either be a Creta or Seltos. Ride quality will be slightly on the harsher side in the Seltos over the Creta.

Mechanically both the cars are almost the same underneath and have the same 'engine + gearbox' combination so decide which car top-end variant appeals the most to you.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 11:23   #17
BHPian

Just on looks alone, I would say the Seltos. I am not a fan of the Creta's looks from the outside and think it won't age as well as the Seltos.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 11:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Here are our requirements.
  • We want it to feel like a proper upgrade
  • We need those extra airbags since the kid is going to be spending the next 4 years in the carseat in the back.
I'm in the same boat. Absolutely loved the Jeep Compass. Been driving a Punto 90HP since the past 9 years - I thought a Jeep Compass will be my next car since the day it launched. But I just do not have the confidence in FCA India anymore. They are running the show with just 1 SUV since the past 3 years. I've been dealing with their service since many years now and unless one loves to spend time and effort to take care of the car - the service experience leaves a lot to be desired. I also know that my next car will not give me the driving pleasure of Punto.

Compass is simply overpriced by a few lakhs.

Hate the looks of the Creta. Thought I'd get over it as time goes, but I still cannot digest the front. Love the looks of the Seltos except for the chrome which looks overdone IMO.

Planning to get a Seltos GTX+ Red DT 1.5D AT (Phew!) early next year. I really wanted the 1.4 T-GDI but I want at least one car in the house to be diesel powered.
The Riddler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:33   #19
BHPian

I voted for Creta.
I am fine with how it looks. For AT, I suppose Creta has more options.
If we dread about the DCT reliability due to the standards set by VW/Skoda, Creta also comes in CVT/IVT top end. Seltos doesn't.

Further, in my opinion, I prefer the looks of Creta more than Seltos (Seltos isn't bad).
Both are identical vehicle. Design language, however, is completely different. Seltos looks are too busy to please everyone (and hence lots of creases/cuts). On the other hand, Creta definitely looks more confident in its second generation.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 13:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:

We discussed the Compass the other day, and the wife started grinning ear to ear. The Compass still has got a special place in our hearts. But the 6 airbags come in Limited Plus and the AT costs close to 26L on-road. I am not sure if I can really justify the premium.
VW T Roc? Skoda Karoq? Please do check them out.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 13:41   #21
BHPian

Given your budget, i would recommend you to consider the Harrier once before you take the plunge. (unless you already have). Given your outlook towards creature comforts (good to have them but not deal breakers), the Harrier has everything one needs in terms of safety kit and is not all that bad on the features as well. It may not have as many bells and whistles as a Creta or a Seltos, but you get to step up one whole segment. Given your stint without a car, I presume you will primarily use this as a mile muncher which in turn means you can live with a bigger car.
I would have recommended a T-roc as well but it has an ex showroom price that is the upper limit of your budget. Moreover, VWs are known for higher running costs and the T-roc being an import will surely dent the budget with running costs.
If it has to be between the Creta and the Seltos, my pick would be the Seltos. Raven Avi mentioned a mishap he had with his old gen Creta and the latest one has to yet establish long term credentials. On the other hand the Seltos has already established itself rather well in the market.

I wish you all the best in your search for a Roadmate. Happy mile munching!
arethusa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 13:55   #22

As a brother; reading your post it’s very clear that both of you (your wife and yourself) are not going to use the car for daily commute and definitely not long distances as you live near your work place.

My suggestion as I own a creta is that it’s a decent vehicle; I would not classify these cars as SUV s rather a car that has a raised ground clearance True SUVs are leagues apart probably starting with the likes of Toyota fortuner 4*4 etc.

Go for the Creta or Seltos if u would like the experience. Don’t worry about the number of air bags etc. Air bag deployment at high speeds is another matter depending on the sensors etc.
I would go for a basic car or so called SUV and put the remaining money in a decent mutual fund and buy a Beemer a couple of years from today . That’s my opinion.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st July 2020 at 14:02. Reason: Please avoid putting a space BEFORE the punctuation marks. Thanks.
Old 31st July 2020, 14:17   #23

Owning a seltos IVT, from interior and looks i would recommend the Seltos , the new Creta IVT , has certain features which turn tide in its favour e-parking brake, the hill hold , paddle shifters , panaromic sunroof and softer rider. Mechanically Seltos and Creta are similar with same parts bin
Old 31st July 2020, 14:40   #24
BHPian

@msnarain if design is not an issue, I would go for Creta because:

1 The panoramic sunroof is a joy and can't be installed in after market.

2 The seats are more comfortable.

3 The driving position is also gives a more commanding, SUVish feeling.

The Seltos is slightly better to drive, but that sunroof more than makes up for it IMHO.
Old 31st July 2020, 14:55   #25
BHPian

Hello All!
Although, everyone have covered almost all the points on the comparison, allow me to add my thoughts.
An important safety feature missed my 99% of the buyers are rear adjustable headrests. Heck, even the manufacturers skimp on this!!
- The Creta has 2.
- The Seltos has 3.
Even if the addition of the 5th passenger is a rare occurrence, they deserve this piece of safety. Many of us don't realize the importance of such finer detail.

I don't like the fact that Hyundai thinks its better to have panoramic sunroof but not to give the 5th passenger a headrest!!

Although, I would love the Seltos to have the electronic handbrake & paddle shifters from the Creta.

P.S - I have a Seltos GTX+ D AT.
Happy Hunting!
powertrain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 16:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

If you are someone who loves to drive and lay emphasis on handling characteristics of a car, Seltos is the one for you. If ride comfort is what you're looking for, it's Creta. Creta, even with its polarizing design is growing on us as we see more of them on the road. Doesn't this look better from the rear

Kia Seltos vs Hyundai Creta-screenshot_20200731162802_whatsapp.jpg

DCT isn't that big a problem as it's made out to be. With the right driving techniques and bit of care, it's reliable too. At the same time, if you want total peace of mind, go for the torque converter diesel whichever car you choose from these two. Since you are looking for 6 air bags, shell out a bit more and buy the top variant itself.

P.S : I own a AT-D HTX+ seltos and quite happy with it.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:25   #27
BHPian

Voted for Creta.
It might not look great on paper but in-person looks pretty good. I was quite surprised after I saw it in-person.
Seltos' one cool feature I liked is lane watch camera and I am not very sure if it's there in Creta. Also the 360 degree camera was useful feature.
Creta's Sunroof is nice. If you like sunroof then this will make you happy. For me it was making the cabin look airy. Petrol has a CVT option which is more peace of mind, at-least for me.

Either ways - both the cars are great. Go for one that appeals to you. That's most important.
busydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 18:38   #28
BHPian

Seltos anyday. Although I do like the interiors and the feature set and improved ride quality of the creta, the exterior is just plain ugly ( my opinion ). I don't think I can live peacefully after spending around 2 million rupees and then having to look at it everyday.

I'd much rather suffer a slightly stiffer ride quality on the seltos to get a really nice looking car and sharper handling.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 20:49   #29

Quote:
We discussed the Compass the other day, and the wife started grinning ear to ear. The Compass still has got a special place in our hearts. But the 6 airbags come in Limited Plus and the AT costs close to 26L on-road. I am not sure if I can really justify the premium.
I got the attached email from Jeep today. I believe they have 2 strong points for you to get the Compass back in consideration

1) Special loan scheme for females
2) 7.35% for a car loan

I do understand the above 2 are with the usual * marks of car adverts, but nothing to check and find out the sweetest deal possible from them in the current scenario. Like GTO mentioned, you never know what you might get surprised with!
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos vs Hyundai Creta-jeep-email.jpg  

abhijith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 21:41   #30

My notes after going through ~20 online video comparison reviews of these 2 cars:

Seltos

- Slight more premium interior
- Less body roll, feels more planted on the road
- 360 camera, blind spot monitor
- Better steering wheel including telescopic

Creta

- More comfortable drive, smoother gear shifts
- Panoramic sunroof
- Better seats, specially rear seats
- Paddle shifter, EPB
- Better NVH
- Sub woofer

In my view, the 360 camera + telescopic steering are must have functional features to have in a car than a panoramic sunroof or paddle shifters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks