Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:46   #31
BHPian

re: Which chauffeur-driven SUV / MPV for me?

Get the Tata Hexa AT.

The updated HEXA is just around the corner, and the news is it will be available in 4x4 wit hAT this time.

HEXA is spacious, big, can seat 6-7 people in comfort, is easy to drive, ergonomic, comfortable, with good road presence, and no nonsense vehicle.
TATA's after sale service has drastically improved, so no problems there, also HEXA has been in the market for some time now, thus all the problems has been sorted already.

With the HEXA, all your check boxes get ticked.

Rear seat space and comfort is also mind blowing, and you get that high seated king like feel too.
v_safari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:29   #32
BHPian

Since it's Chauffeur driven and you have MUV as an option, I strongly suggest you check Kia Carnival.
It definitely is a big car, but still maneuverable. You will be happy to sit in the second and third row in this car. Spacious and practical, at the same time you can drive it yourself on the highways with ease.
We recently booked one for my Uncle, he has upgraded to this from an Innova.

Buy it for 40L and you can keep the remaining 10L to use it to upgrade your GT TSI to an used GTI TSI.

Have fun!
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:52   #33
BHPian

If it has be a chauffer driven car, Innova Crysta would be an apt choice, preferably Automatic if you intend to drive it as well and have a niggle free experience in the longer run. Also you can look at Kia Carnival oodles of space and luxury with loads of bells and whistles to keep one in utmost comfort when driven around. If you're looking for a self driven SUV Fortuner or Endeavour would tick almost all your boxes and keep your maintenance bills fair enough, AT version should be preferred for ease of driving in city and highway cruise. Fortuner is due for an upgrade to possibly the legender version as seen overseas and should be here early 2021. Do check them out and see what fits your purpose and what strings your heart.
Old 23rd November 2020, 19:21   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmatch99 View Post
Go for the MG Gloster, its the most spacious among its rivals.
Thanks Revmatch99, I did take a look at Gloster, it is spacious with bells & whistles along with a panoramic sunroof. However, I am not sure about long term reliability and am not ready to take that risk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
In my opinion, you should absolutely not buy a demo car.

I would rather suggest getting an X3 that's run about 2 years, and maxing out the warranty and getting BSI for it as per your needs. .
Thanks iliketurtles. Your response was helpful, have decided against the demo car. On used cars, am hearing multiple views on pros and cons, cant make up my mind. Basically, would the benefits on depreciation be outweighed by the additional maintenance expenses along with the fact that the older versions would not have the latest technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
At some point, you have to decide what's the #1 thing you need from your car and err on that side. Also remeber to check tire profiles and tire pressure when you take a test drive - they make a huge difference and you could be ruling out a decent car because it had low profile tires or high tire pressure.
If you decide that you like X3 type of cars, you will have to do some serious math about expenses.
This whole 4 adults + kid + dogs and chauffeur situation warrants a people mover. Or I may have misunderstood your requirements.
Thanks androdev, you are right. While X3 did fulfil my requirements, its still in the list despite the price only because I loved driving it. My requirement is 3 adults+chauffeur+1 kid (+dogs occasionally).So, a 5 seater with ample luggage space can so as well. I will drive it only 20% of the time and I do love taking the Polo GT out for a drive whenever I can, it just seemed that X3 would be the best combination of driving pleasure along with the family requirement. However, the expense math is something I really need to figure out.

Thanks for the tip on tyre profile and pressure. I will again do a test drive of Innova with this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Not too many people mentioned this option as probably this car ks discontinued now, but will be available in tbe used car route.

Try the Hexa! It ticks all your boxes well and is a great car!
Thanks 2000rpm, I would avoid a used version though would be happy to check it out if a new version comes out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarediAni7518 View Post
Since your budget is around 50 lakhs, why don’t you look at the new MG Gloster ? Also, if you’re willing to stretch your budget by a little margin, do check out the Volvo XC60 as well.
Thanks NarediAni7518. Have mentioned on Gloster above. On XC60, I will update later in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Agree with Androdev that the BMW and other drivers’ cars make no sense if the vehicle will be primarily chauffeur-driven.
IMHO the Innova or Carnival would be the best value for money, although I don’t know how much to trust Kia with their recently reported brake failure issues.
Thanks Mustang Sammy. I will try out the Innova again and have planned for a 2nd TD of Carnival with family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
I went through pretty much the same decision process. I had an XUV500 that I wanted to replace. My consideration set included the Marazzo, Harrier, Hexa, Innova, CR-V, Alturas, Fortuner, Endeavour. Every car had pros and cons (obviously).

Needless to say, I bought the Hexa.
While the Hexa isn't available now, it looks like a BS6 version is on the way with an Auto-AWD. Think about this.
Thanks Kovilkalai. This is very useful and I will keep an eye out for the BS6 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Get the Tata Hexa AT.
Thanks v_safari, this is helpful. Am surprised with the number of recommendations on Hexa, and this car isnt even on my list. Its a must-try if the new version comes soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ₹itzylove View Post
Since it's Chauffeur driven and you have MUV as an option, I strongly suggest you check Kia Carnival.
Thanks ₹itzylove, Carnival is definitely on my shortlist. Even GTO recommended it, I do respect his views on any car as my last purchase of Polo GT was based on his recommendation and driving it has been such a pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky_1002 View Post
If it has be a chauffer driven car, Innova Crysta would be an apt choice, preferably Automatic if you intend to drive it as well and have a niggle free experience in the longer run. Also you can look at Kia Carnival oodles of space and luxury with loads of bells and whistles to keep one in utmost comfort when driven around. If you're looking for a self driven SUV Fortuner or Endeavour would tick almost all your boxes and keep your maintenance bills fair enough, AT version should be preferred for ease of driving in city and highway cruise. Fortuner is due for an upgrade to possibly the legender version as seen overseas and should be here early 2021. Do check them out and see what fits your purpose and what strings your heart.
Thanks Shanky. I will TD the Innova again. On Fortuner, not sure when would the facelift version be available. Have tried the Endevaour- ticks most of the boxes except the under-powered engine and the possibility of Ford moving out of servicing their cars in India.

Really appreciate everyone who has commented above, its very helpful. This is what makes team-BHP such a special forum!

Update on TD of Volvo XC60:
Pros: Sturdy car with tons of gadgets, comfortable rear seats, B&W music system is out of the world!
Cons: Driving pleasure cant be compared to X3 which is in a different orbit. Also, SE had no idea about when the next lot of teh car would be available (possibly Feb/Mar 21) and wasnt sure about pricing.

Update on Tucson: I wasnt looking at this car but a friend suggested to do a TD.
Pros: I loved the punchy engine and the awesome gear box, a pleasure to drive, exterior looks good as well
Cons: Rear seat position is low and the window line rises- makes it a bit claustrophobic for rear seat passengers. Of course, the sunroof helps.
KAY24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:32   #35
BHPian

Since you have already TDed the Tucson, you might want to consider the VW Tiguan Allspace too.

Seems like others have already given most popular suggestions, but I think they might have missed this new car.

Also considering that you’ve had a look at the XC60 and the BMW X3, you should also consider the Mercedes GLC/GLE.
EightSix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 17:36   #36

I got XUV 500 W10 model. I use it for long rides. My XUV did Spiti, Ladakh, North East India and Goa multiple times. Absolute comfort. Few days back I checked MG Gloster. Though it is longest SUV in category it can not match the space that of XUV500 offers. I checked Fortuner and Endeavour too. But as far as space concern there is no match to XUV500. I suggest you to wait for next version of XUV500 and then take the decision. Good luck. Keep riding.
Travel master is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:37   #37
BHPian

Thanks EightSix and Travel master for your comments. Appreciate it.

I have done test drives for 10 cars so far and its time now to start narrowing down the list.

Key decision criteria:
1) Rear seat comfort, comfortably seat 3 adults + 1 kid + 1 chauffeur (+2 dogs occasionally)
2) A car that I would feel happy travelling in or driving around

As of now, only 2 cars qualify:
1) BMW X3
2) Kia Carnival

(Note: I still need to give Innova another try).

So, here the thing - heart says X3 and I may keep it for 10 years, while mind says Kia though I do feel I would keep it for 5 years and then maybe upgrade to an X3 level car.

I went through a good thread on this by GTO in the Team BHP advice section -'How a more expensive car can work cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)'.
I thought let me test it out with my limited knowledge on car expenses and excel skills. Of course, some of the more experienced folks here can do a much better job. Here goes the comparison:
Which chauffeur-driven SUV / MPV for me?-car-comparison-24_11.png

So, the math says that that the difference in the present value of cost of ownership is ~9% (or 10 lakh)- not such a big difference if one goes for the more expensive car straight away.
(Any calculation is based on a set of assumptions and the one I have done may be incorrect).

Would love to hear views from folks here please on both the approach to shortlist the 2 cars and the calculations. (have attached the excel below)
Car comparison.xlsx
KAY24 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 11:33   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY24 View Post
As of now, only 2 cars qualify:
1) BMW X3
2) Kia Carnival
Your shortlist is excellent - each being the best family car of that 'genre'.

Given that you have done ample amount of homework and even made a spreadsheet (resistance is futile), I will ignore the finances and point out some intangibles you should consider.

For a family car, I suggest always go for a new car that you can comfortably afford. Those "Mastercard priceless" moments really matter when it is a purchase for the family with parents and kids. If you decide to buy new and keep it for 8+ years, you will be better off with a new car considering all tangible and intangible things.

While spreadsheet calculations can help you understand affordability, it is not the actual money that bothers people but some of us just hate certain type of expenses and experiences. How would you feel if the transmission needs replacement outside of warranty and you are asked to pay 5 lakhs after being given a hard-fought goodwill discount of 50%? And the car is kept in the garage for a month waiting for approvals and parts, etc.? Some of us would forget everything the moment we start the engine and step on the gas!

Recently I came across a thread started by a Polo owner who got fed up of changing ABS sensors and is seriously considering switching to a more reliable car. Some Polo owners responded saying they face same issues but are OK to put up with the expenses of replacing them as they enjoy driving the car.

You would need that type of philosophy to buy X3. Largely it will be uneventful - but if it gives you trouble, just take it in your stride and deal with it without losing sleep over it.

There is no better car than X3 for a keen driver with family needs, which I think you have figured it out by now. Based on what I have read so far on this thread, it looks like you appreciate what X3 offers and can afford it as a 'stretch' and you are wondering if you should stretch.

If you can find a way to use your X3 only for that 20% of the time you are going to drive, it won't run up huge bills. I personally find it extremely wasteful to use an X3 with a chauffeur. Retain your Polo TSI and XUV for mundane commutes (rent extra parking slot if required). I don't mean you should make it a garage queen - just don't clock miles doing grocery shopping and it will work out to be pretty reasonable to own. It will be an awesome car to go on self-drive outstation holiday trips - if that's your primary use case, it will be money well spent.
androdev is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 21:59   #39
BHPian

Since your purpose is a chauffeur driven MPV and seem to need almost nil off roading, why go for the big ones? It's understandable if you intend to drive it yourself.

My humble opinion is to go for INNOVA Crysta

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...6-26-lakh.html (Toyota Innova Crysta facelift launched at Rs. 16.26 lakh)

The variants with captain seats are really comfortable.

Long term reliability is a given. If you plan to drive it occasionally, choosing the AT will be a good option.

While KIA Karnival is more loaded, the bulletproof reliability and the safety features are in favour of the Crysta. Also if you plan to sell after 7 years, expect better price for Toyota than Kia

The premium cars pamper the front passengers more than the middle and rear benchers. Since you mentioned your wife will be using the chauffeured driven car, the front seats won't be used much.

The captain seat innova is used by almost all politicians and actors who commute long distances for the sheer comfort and reliability. In addition the ASS is splendid.

Also consider the fact that govt plans to promote EV. So expect stricter implementation of the vehicle scrappage policy by Govt. Which means max life of a car would be 15 years only. Ultimately this will reduce resale value of vehicles.

Assume you keep the vehicle for 15 years.

60 lacs OTR Car = Flat 4 lac per year irrespective of usage. Add Finance, Insurance, Fuel Cost, and service cost.

30 lacs OTR Innova = Flat 2 lac per year irrespective of usage. Add Finance, Insurance, Fuel Cost, and service cost.

As per the proposed scrappage policy, the owners who scrap the vehicle will probably get some rebate on taxes while purchasing a new vehicle in addition to some compensation.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...574529749.html

Mahindra and Maruti-Toyota have built scrappage yards and are probably lobbying the govt to push through with the scrappage policy.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/maruti...crappage-plant

Last edited by Voodooblaster : 25th November 2020 at 22:00. Reason: Typo
Voodooblaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 12:46   #40
BHPian

I won't recommend an X3 as you intend to drive it for less than 20% of the time. If you feel like its slightly a " stretch " it isn't worth stretching that much to get it for a chauffeur.

When I read the title the first car that came into my mind is the ALTURAS G4, not a great seller but has sold decently well and I haven't seem any unhappy owner till date. Anyway you have ruled it out so that's the end of the story.

My strong recommendation would be to check out for used HEXA XZA , it is a hell of a car and would suit all your needs without breaking the bank. Even you can wait a bit and get the new BS6 Hexa which is expected to hit the market in coming months.

Also TD the Harrier too , without the intention to buy and see!

Last edited by kamilharis : 26th November 2020 at 12:47.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 00:22   #41
BHPian

Thanks Androdev, Voodooblaster and Kamilharis.

Quote:
Your shortlist is excellent - each being the best family car of that 'genre'.

For a family car, I suggest always go for a new car that you can comfortably afford. Those "Mastercard priceless" moments really matter when it is a purchase for the family with parents and kids. If you decide to buy new and keep it for 8+ years, you will be better off with a new car considering all tangible and intangible things.

How would you feel if the transmission needs replacement outside of warranty and you are asked to pay 5 lakhs after being given a hard-fought goodwill discount of 50%? And the car is kept in the garage for a month waiting for approvals and parts, etc.? Some of us would forget everything the moment we start the engine and step on the gas!

You would need that type of philosophy to buy X3. Largely it will be uneventful - but if it gives you trouble, just take it in your stride and deal with it without losing sleep over it.

There is no better car than X3 for a keen driver with family needs, which I think you have figured it out by now. Based on what I have read so far on this thread, it looks like you appreciate what X3 offers and can afford it as a 'stretch' and you are wondering if you should stretch.

If you can find a way to use your X3 only for that 20% of the time you are going to drive, it won't run up huge bills. I personally find it extremely wasteful to use an X3 with a chauffeur. Retain your Polo TSI and XUV for mundane commutes (rent extra parking slot if required).
Thanks, your revert is probably the best one I have read on my thread. Its made me think about life beyond the purchase of a car. Really appreciate you taking the time to craft such comments and I hope it helps not only me but also other readers.

I will prefer a new car for the definite intangible and potential tangible benefits.

I recently spent 50K on repairs (including some non-essential ones) for my XUV500 in spite of knowing that I would probably sell it soon. So, yes in some sense I am fine with living with the associated expenses that come with maintaining cars, though in case of the X3 the amounts can far higher.

On affordability, you are right. The key dilemma is spending 65-70L on a car rather than concerns on going beyond my means. However, given that my current cars were in the 10-13L bracket, I am not sure if its worth spending so much on a car.

I didnt quite follow the last comment on sparingly using the car if its the X3. I thought the whole point of going for such a car was to live the experience whenever I can. An analogy from cricket - send out your best batmen to open so that he can face the maximum number of balls and have the opportunity to score the highest runs possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
Since your purpose is a chauffeur driven MPV and seem to need almost nil off roading, why go for the big ones? It's understandable if you intend to drive it yourself.

My humble opinion is to go for INNOVA Crysta

Long term reliability is a given. If you plan to drive it occasionally, choosing the AT will be a good option.

While KIA Karnival is more loaded, the bulletproof reliability and the safety features are in favour of the Crysta. Also if you plan to sell after 7 years, expect better price for Toyota than Kia

Also consider the fact that govt plans to promote EV. So expect stricter implementation of the vehicle scrappage policy by Govt. Which means max life of a car would be 15 years only. Ultimately this will reduce resale value of vehicles.

As per the proposed scrappage policy, the owners who scrap the vehicle will probably get some rebate on taxes while purchasing a new vehicle in addition to some compensation.
Thanks, I will seriously evaluate the Innova Crysta and do a test drive soon. On resale after 7 years, I dont think the difference would matter much then. Kia is still on my shortlist and I thought that this car has a proven track record on reliability globally. Request confirmation from the experts please.

On EV cars, I would assume that this is at least 5 years away in terms of serious penetration levels and probably a decade away from replacing current cars - I may be wrong here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
I won't recommend an X3 as you intend to drive it for less than 20% of the time. If you feel like its slightly a " stretch " it isn't worth stretching that much to get it for a chauffeur.

My strong recommendation would be to check out for used HEXA XZA , it is a hell of a car and would suit all your needs without breaking the bank. Even you can wait a bit and get the new BS6 Hexa which is expected to hit the market in coming months.

Also TD the Harrier too , without the intention to buy and see!
Thanks, I do think that price and the fact that I wont be driving the X3 too often are the key reasons due to which I still havent made up my mind. On Tata cars, while so far I havent considered them, am now thinking that it makes sense to go ahead and TD these as well.

Update: I travelled from Mumbai to Goa this weekend in my XUV500 - I drove 70% of the time and loved it, in spite of some bad roads in the final stretch of the journey. Also, my XUV500 is still good for long drives but I do have to replace it soon.

Note: This break means that I will not be able to do TDs for the next couple of weeks. It may just be fine as it can set me up for the second half of December when hopefully there would be some good discounts available.
KAY24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 17:46   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY24 View Post
I didnt quite follow the last comment on sparingly using the car if its the X3. I thought the whole point of going for such a car was to live the experience whenever I can. An analogy from cricket - send out your best batmen to open so that he can face the maximum number of balls and have the opportunity to score the highest runs possible.
That is not a good analogy - otherwise you would see all Ferrari guys driving their cars to buy groceries and milk. A better analogy would be like having a high-end photo printer and a B&W laser printer. I am not suggesting you should not use the printer, but only use it for special photos. Maybe take more special photos. Just don't print spreadsheets.

Once we move from utility zone into indulgence zone, it's all about emotions.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 20:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
That is not a good analogy - otherwise you would see all Ferrari guys driving their cars to buy groceries and milk. A better analogy would be like having a high-end photo printer and a B&W laser printer. I am not suggesting you should not use the printer, but only use it for special photos. Maybe take more special photos. Just don't print spreadsheets.

Once we move from utility zone into indulgence zone, it's all about emotions.
Thanks for the explanation Androdev, understood. It is helpful. I do plan to keep the Polo GT TSI for regular chores and sell the XUV500. I guess keeping 3 cars may be an excess and am not sure if the maintenance costs would be an unnecessary expense. However, its still an interesting suggestion as the resale cost for XUV would be very low, will think about it.
Old 28th December 2020, 19:51   #44
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your inputs. These were really helpful.

Post another round of test drives of the shortlisted cars, I decided to take the plunge - have booked the X3 today.

Amongst all the cars that I have test driven in the past couple of months, I drove X3 three times and on each occasion, stepped out of the car with a big smile! I loved the driving experience as well as the rear seat comfort.

I also thought that if one doesnt listen to the heart in the 40s, it will probably be too late to do so in the next decade.
KAY24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 21:31   #45
BHPian

Thank you everyone for sharing your insights, it was really helpful. I took delivery of the car this weekend. Have attached some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Which chauffeur-driven SUV / MPV for me?-img_0330.jpg  

Which chauffeur-driven SUV / MPV for me?-img_0327.jpg  

Which chauffeur-driven SUV / MPV for me?-img_0323.jpg  

KAY24 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks