Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
MG Gloster 20 5.33%
Toyota Fortuner 130 34.67%
Ford Endeavour 204 54.40%
Mahindra Alturas G4 15 4.00%
Other (please specify in your post) 6 1.60%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2021, 19:04   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Before everyone says that Mahindra's ASS is a hit or miss, i have driven XUV 500 for 7 years and have never faced any problems there and i have a good repo with most of the service advisors there.
Thanks
I would still say go with the Ford. IMO they are here atleast for the near future, considering them appointing a new India CEO. It's also the more desirable car with a much better road presence.

Issue is Alturas is likely to be discontinued within a year (Courtesy Mahindra Ssyangong divorce, And Alturas is completely a Ssyongong Rexton). The folks of your Mahindra ASS could be excellent, however, they won't be able to do much incase of any crucial parts shortage, simply because Mahindra themselves will find it very hard to procure the same.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 19:52   #62
BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for an SUV in the 30-40 lakh bracket.

Thanks
The Alturas looks like will exit the market considering issues with Ssangyong. Getting parts will be a nightmare and most likely horrendous resale a few years down the line. Ford’s future is also in doubt, its anybody’s guess whether they will stay or leave. Going by the trends, most of their models are lagging in the market and nothing new or worthwhile seems to be coming up.However, Endeavour seems to be one ticking the boxes for you.

No doubt the safest bet in the market is the Fortuner, but if you’ve ruled it out, have you taken a look at the Gloster ?
Old 7th June 2021, 16:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Gloster vs Toyota Fortuner vs Ford Endeavour vs others

Under unfavorable conditions of Covid-19, the Endeavour sold 253 units in May 2021, while Fortuner sold only 15, while Gloster sold 129.

Source: https://gaadiwaadi.com/full-size-suv...r-alturas/amp/
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 15:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The choice now is between Ford Endeavour 4x2 AT Titanium plus and Mahindra Alturus G4 4x4 AT
The Endeavour would be my pick of the two, not just because I own one (and am absolutely in love with it) but also because the Alturas is as good as discontinued. The 4x2 Titanium AT is excellent VFM proposition, unless some of the missing features (compared to the plus) are must-have for you - see the list here (Ford Endeavour 2.0L Diesel AT : Official Review (with dune bashing)).
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 12:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery of a white Gloster 4wd Savvy variant 2 days back. This will replace my Crysta. With an onroad price of almost 46.xxL in Bangalore lot of thought has gone behind this purchase. Ford is exiting India so Endeavor was out of question and Fortuner feels dated to my eyes from every angle though its reliability and resale value has been exemplary. My primary observation of this Gloster (2021 package) as against the one that I had driven last year (2020) is the way it responds low down and the over all gear shifts, it is very different from 2020 version. This one seems eager to pull right from the bottom and gears shift as expected even in ECO mode, most certainly it seems like MG has made some changes in the fueling and gearbox tune. Infact the sales rep delayed the delivery by 2 days stating that there are critical updates to be made to the car for which they need 2 additional days.

Compared to 2020 variant the primary turbo now seems to be spooling quite a bit sooner and is able to hold well through the midrange. 120kph comes quite quickly with the ride quality, road manners and damping being spot on I reckon this could be a phenomenal mile muncher if it stands the test of time in terms of reliability. Least said, it has more electronic aid/features than anything else out there to keep you occupied during those long trips...
The Wolf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 20:04   #66
BHPian

Quote:

I know that ford's is probably a superior product as compared to mahindra's but the catch is that there is a massive 3 lakh discount going on for Alturus bringing the 4X4 OTR to around 33 lakhs whereas Endeavour does not have any discounts and is priced around 37.89 lakhs OTR for 4x2.
So there is around 6 lakhs cost difference between the two and i also get the 4x4 in Alturus vs 4x2 in Endeavour.
As you rightly said, Endeavour is a significantly superior product than Alturas. And this 4*4 or 4*2 depends on your usage - In India 99% usage of 99% of customers of any premium/luxury 4*4 SUV is only ON-Road with very limited off-road adventures.

Alturas is a dead product in India already unless M&M intends to revive Ssanyoung. There is no doubt about the improved service quality of M&M over the years, but Ford's service and reliability are miles ahead. And remember that you are buying a dead product already. This is the primary reason for such high discounts. Between the 2, it's the Endeavour without a second thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_freakky View Post
We're yet to have a look at Isuzu and MG as we don't have showroom in our place and nearest one is at Coimbatore, so can't comment on the two.

Any other options that I have left out? Please let me know and help me in choosing the right SUV/MPV for our requirements. Thanks in advance.
Given your requirements (and not a Toyota again choice), its hands down the Endeavour.
Otherwise, it's almost a tie between the Fortuner and Endeavour. Of course, also choosing the Endeavour will significantly lighten your wallet.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, MS, T-Fort, JC, Endy) when referring to cars or their makers. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by Sheel : 12th August 2021 at 08:29. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 17th August 2021, 12:02   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Compared to 2020 variant the primary turbo now seems to be spooling quite a bit sooner and is able to hold well through the midrange. 120kph comes quite quickly with the ride quality, road manners and damping being spot on I reckon this could be a phenomenal mile muncher if it stands the test of time in terms of reliability. Least said, it has more electronic aid/features than anything else out there to keep you occupied during those long trips...
This is good to know. Brand and after sales aside, I think Gloster is actually quite competent. Gloster has better interiors than competition and now engine seem to be better than Endeavour. While the looks are not as aggressive as Endeavour/Fortuner, is bigger than both. At these price range, brand value is important. But I think a lot of folks buy these body on frame for road presence and is probably one other reason why Gloster is not selling as much.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 17:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
This is good to know. Brand and after sales aside, I think Gloster is actually quite competent. Gloster has better interiors than competition and now engine seem to be better than Endeavour. While the looks are not as aggressive as Endeavour/Fortuner, is bigger than both. At these price range, brand value is important. But I think a lot of folks buy these body on frame for road presence and is probably one other reason why Gloster is not selling as much.
I've owned the Gloster Savvy 4x4 since past 700 odd kms... My observations PURELY on the negatives so far;

1. Touch response of the information display is slow., begs for a software update.

2. Electronic Parking brake jammed twice till now. Need to press the brake pedal very hard, hold and wait for the electronic brake to release., perhaps an electro-mechanical glitch. I wish to report this during my 1k kms check up service interval.

3. When the car is not fully loaded with passengers the car at anything over 28-29psi tyre pressure has a slightly rougher ride quality, perhaps due to slightly lower tyre profile for such a heavy vehicle (255/55/R19). Car totally transforms, turning into a butter smooth glider at 28psi rear and 29psi front. However when the tyre pressure is set at 28psi on external guage the inbuilt tyre pressure sensor (TPMS) reads it as 27.xx psi and starts to give non stop warning on the information display screen and sends msgs on the MG iSmart phone app to caution the owner!!! I have decided to just ignore it. Upgrade to 265/60 or 265/65 could improve ride quality enormously at 30psi (29psi on TPMS), but it will be difficult to source this profile spec coz the car has 19" wheels., which none other has in my knowledge.

4. Head lights (low beam) could be more powerful., not a deal breaker for sure.

5. Driver seat lumbar support could be slightly softer and overall all the seats could be a bit softer/cushy to soak the road undulations a bit better. I am getting used to it now.

6. Body roll when the car is not fully loaded could be letter. I may explore silicone spring buffer options in future.

7. Brake pedal travel could be lesser and distance between brake pedal and accelerator pedal could be increased as when braked hard the pedal travels too deep and the foot ends up brushing the accelerator pedal very slightly. This is discomforting as I've driven many cars in my life and have experienced this for the very first time.

8. Gloster is massive and takes some effort to wash and keep clean. Now, I have wrapped my front & rear bumpers, B&C pillar, door edges, head light cluster, handle cup area, side view mirrors and other piano black plastics with 180micron STEK PPF (5yr warranty), and also ceramic coated the entire car. Now washing has become way more easier as ceramic coating is extremely hydrophobic in nature. I also bought a car pressure wash machine, a ceramic wax car shampoo and few microfiber mitts. Life is considerably easier for my driver

Having said the above, over all I am satisfied with the car. Its pretty much everything I desired of a SUV. I would never buy a Fortuner/Endeavor over Gloster for sure. I base this judgment after evaluating several factors where Gloster clearly wins over the other two, especially the outgoing Ford India Pvt Ltd., which cannot even be considered as a competitor any more.

Last edited by The Wolf : 17th August 2021 at 18:00.
The Wolf is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 22:40   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post

Having said the above, over all I am satisfied with the car. Its pretty much everything I desired of a SUV. I would never buy a Fortuner/Endeavor over Gloster for sure. I base this judgment after evaluating several factors where Gloster clearly wins over the other two, especially the outgoing Ford India Pvt Ltd., which cannot even be considered as a competitor any more.
Hi. Thanks for the elaborate post. I too am in a fix. The ford endeavour is gone now and fortuner was never in my choice list due to very basic interiors and feature list.

The only option i have in this range is the Gloster or the MPV Kia carnival (which is lovely to drive to say the least). the only downside of Carnival being its length and lower GC.

I wanted to ask that now that you have driven gloster quite a bit, how is the low end throttle response as most of the reviews mention it as dull?

Also how has been the ASS experience at MG, any major software glitches and the approximate fuel economy that you get?

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 22nd September 2021, 23:34   #70
BHPian

Replacement for a 2018 Ford Endeavour!

As all of the readers would be aware, Ford has more or less decided to pack shop and run out of India leaving current Ford owners in a bit of a pickle. A dear friend has had a flawless ownership experience with his 2018 Ford Endeavour 2.2L Trend 4*2 but with Ford shutting shop, he has decided to let go of his prized possession with a heavy heart.

The tough question that arises as of the moment is which vehicle in the market is worthy enough to fill the shoes of the mighty Endeavour?

For context, my friend is rather vertically gifted as he clocks in at 6.3 ft. while most of his family members are also right about the 6 ft. mark as well!
This pretty much entails that space is the biggest priority with most considerations with resale value and comfort/refinement coming in a close second. Also having a sunroof would be a bonus as my friend has a pet peeve of getting a sunroof in one of his future purchases( Not a compulsion though).

As of right now, some of the considerations for a 43 Lakh budget are as follows:
1) Toyota Fortuner(New)
Pros:
-Toyota Resale
-Bulletproof Reliability
-Responsive Engine
-Space
Cons:
-Overpriced
-Shabby NVH
-Cheap Interior
-Terrible Audio System(In the 4*2 Variants at least)
-No Sunroof(Shocking for the Price)

2) MG Gloster(New)
Pros:
-Feature Loaded
-Great NVH
-Decent Space
-Ample Sunroof
Cons:
- A Chinese Product
- Poor Steering Feel
- Average Plastic Quality
- Laggy Touchscreen
- Resale Value

3) Luxury Sedans/SUVs (New/Sparingly Used)
Pros:
-Immaculate Interiors
-Feature Loaded
-Extremely Refined
-Exceptional Driving Dynamics
Cons:
- Space is at a premium amongst most options
- Higher Maintenance Cost
- Can't think of a vehicle that just clicks!

As of right now, the Toyota Fortuner is the front runner for obvious reasons but the terrible audio system on the 4*2 variant and unrefined nature are major put-offs coming from an Endeavour. The touch screen is also not up to the Endy standards with the overall interior feeling a segment below.

Although the friend is right now contemplating between the 4*2 Auto and 4*4 Manual variants of the Fortuner(Since they are costing approximately the same), he is also open to other suggestions.

In Conclusion, he would love an answer to the following two questions:
1. 4*4 Manual or 4*2 Auto Toyota Fortuner? (Going to be used as a family vehicle and not an off-road primary vehicle since the potential owner also has a 2020 Mahindra Thar.)
2. If not the Fortuner, then what and why?

Last edited by Mr.501 : 22nd September 2021 at 23:38. Reason: Typing Error
Mr.501 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 00:20   #71
Senior - BHPian

Re: Replacement for a 2018 Ford Endeavour!

The Mahindra Alturas definitely has the nicest interiors of the bunch and features like the seat moving out of the way to aid ingress might impress your tall buddy

Meanwhile the Isuzu MU-X is also due for an upgrade perhaps it might be worth the wait? If not ask him to check out the existing model as well since Isuzu has a habit of not immediately giving our market the latest it has to offer internationally.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 00:29   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Your friend will be ill advised to sell such a wonderful vehicle at this juncture. Besides, every major city will have a Ford Service center running to capacity since smaller centers will wound up for sure. Endeavour being sold in plenty in the country will have no issues regarding the service part at least for the next three to five years easy. A vehicle which is trouble free and without any niggles doesn’t deserve to be sold just because the company has stopped selling the same.

It will be difficult to replace a vehicle of Endeavour’s stature with a Fortuner since I am sure, your friend bought the Endeavour overlooking the Fortuner at the first place !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 02:56   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Mahindra Alturas definitely has the nicest interiors of the bunch and features like the seat moving out of the way to aid ingress might impress your tall buddy

Meanwhile the Isuzu MU-X is also due for an upgrade perhaps it might be worth the wait? If not ask him to check out the existing model as well since Isuzu has a habit of not immediately giving our market the latest it has to offer internationally.
The Alturas was an amazing vehicle to pilot period. Both of us agreed that as a product the Alturas is a definitive force to be reckoned with, couple this with the already mouthwatering price tag, we did consider it for a bit, but alas the uncertainty of it's future and poor resale were a bit too much to digest.
The MU-X wasn't taken into consideration due to the exorbitant price hike for the BS6 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Your friend will be ill advised to sell such a wonderful vehicle at this juncture. Besides, every major city will have a Ford Service center running to capacity since smaller centers will wound up for sure. Endeavour being sold in plenty in the country will have no issues regarding the service part at least for the next three to five years easy. A vehicle which is trouble free and without any niggles doesn’t deserve to be sold just because the company has stopped selling the same.

It will be difficult to replace a vehicle of Endeavour’s stature with a Fortuner since I am sure, your friend bought the Endeavour overlooking the Fortuner at the first place !!
I completely understand your POV and trust me when i saw that we have had our fair share of conversation over keeping the Endy but unfortunately the family as a whole don't want to deal with what might be in store later down the line.
Talking about the Fortuner, it is in no way shape or form as capable as the Endy in our eyes, but the fact of the matter is that with the exit of the Endeavour, one doesn't have a lot of wiggle room in the segment.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd September 2021 at 09:11. Reason: Please edit or multi quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:12   #74
Senior - BHPian

Assuming that the possibility of retaining the Endeavour is out the window, here is my perspective:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.501 View Post
4*4 Manual or 4*2 Auto Toyota Fortuner?
I believe 4x4 AT is not being considered for budgetary reasons. If so, he needs to decide on the usage aspect even as a "family vehicle". Will it be used extensively for touring to offbeat places like Spiti, etc.? If yes, 4x4 is good to have. If not, regular highway runs and some amount of rough-road driving can be easily done in 2wd configuration as well. If he is not too hung up on the fun element of the manual and okay with the somewhat over-revving nature of the AT, it should be the AT for more convenience. Have him take a test drive of both AT and MT, and take a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.501 View Post
If not the Fortuner, then what and why?
Well, like it or not, with the Endeavour gone, the Fortuner has no worthy competition as on date! If one wants a full-size SUV, avoiding the three Germans, Fortuner is the only way out.

Last edited by cool_dube : 23rd September 2021 at 13:14.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 21:16   #75

Fellow Bhpians. Need an advice. I am getting inclined to buy an endeavour knowing well Ford has shut shop in India. I am getting some discount on the available inventory and feels that it’s a risk worth taking. It is a wonderful car and I live in Gurgaon and believe that service will surely be available in Delhi/NCR at least for next 3-5 years if not more.
I am looking at 4X4 titanium plus which is available at the dealer for immediate pick up. Please let me know if this is fine as I am not able to convince myself yet for anything else which matches endeavour at this price point.

When I see post of people selling their current endeavour and I am planning to still buy a new one I want to be sure that I am not thinking stupid

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks