New Kia Seltos 65 21.59%
Used Jeep Compass 236 78.41%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2021, 07:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Kia Seltos vs Used Jeep Compass

This is a tricky one.

Am looking at picking up either a Kia Seltos GTX Turbo Petrol Manual or a pre owned Jeep Compass 2.0L 4x2 Manual. Pre Owned Jeep as lots of very good options are available at 15 lakhs and above making new ones just not worth the full price.

Requirements from the car:

1. Effortless highway cruising
2. Good high speed stability
3. Good handling
4. Reasonable ride comfort on highways.
5. Reasonable FE - 13/14 kmpl on highways
6. City usage isn’t a requirement as there’s another car for that.
7. Rear seat comfort / space not an issue.
8. Boot space in both are sufficient.
9. Reliability
10. Good in gear acceleration

Pros and Cons as I see them:

Kia Seltos

Pros:

It is almost as fast as an Octavia 1.8 TSI to 100 kmph, and a whopping 7 seconds faster than the Jeep Compass 2.0L 4x2 to 140 kmph. It has the same in gear acceleration as the Jeep which says a lot as the real advantage of diesels lie in roll on speeds and this equals the Jeep on that front.

2. The black interiors with red accents are great and look more upmarket than more expensive cars - one of the reasons that got me looking at the car.

3. Not a features guy but the Kia has some that will not hurt.

4. The turbo manual has the highest top speed among all the variants - almost 20 kmph more than the DCT and 30 kmph more than the diesel.

Cons:

1. The Seltos will look horribly dated very very soon. Styling that is in your face and is the flavor of the month never ever lasts. Think Hyundai fluidic Verna - at one point it was the best looking car - but now is an ugly duckling. In comparison the (original) Vento never looked great but now doesn’t look as old as the fluidic Verna does either.

2. Sun roof - not a fan of this “feature” which is intended to bring in sun in cold countries and is completely out of place under Indian conditions. It can leak, rattle, and squeal it’s way to glory over time and when the seals wear out under the hot Indian sun, will bring in dust and water into the cabin.

3. Fuel efficiency in turbo petrols can never be depended on - the single largest minus. It would depend on your mood and the mood of the car. Take any FE figure of a turbo petrol only as a broad reference point.

4. The 3 star crash test ratings. Not a deal breaker though.

5. Various niggles - teething troubles happen with any new car - some have more, some have less - as long as the company is addressing it, it’s not an issue.

Pre owned Jeep Compass: BS IV

Pros:

1. Rock solid stability at speeds, does not lose composure under most situations.

2. European handling - takes corners better

3. Fuel efficiency being a diesel can be relied on to not fall below 14 on highways.

4. BS IV engine isn’t dumbed down so will provide the pleasure of a turbo diesel.

Cons:

1. It’s a Fiat product and that gives it an uncertain future.

2. Not a fan of its white / beige interiors

3. Engine gets noisy and boomy after 3000 rpm.

4. Turbo lag at lower rpms which gives it the same in gear acceleration of the petrol engined 140 bhp Seltos even though the Seltos is down on power by 33 bhp and 650 cc in engine size. Outright acceleration of the Seltos will leave the Jeep Compass way behind.

Looking for opinions - thanks in advance.

Last edited by AMG Power : 21st January 2021 at 07:32.
AMG Power is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 07:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: New Kia Seltos vs Used Jeep Compass

If you have to pick between the 2, I'd go Compass based on what you've mentioned. If it is an exclusive highway cruiser, I'd pick a diesel assuming you're going to put some serious mileage on it. Also, tubro petrols don't have proven long term reliability whereas turbo diesels are pretty robust. I don't think spare parts will be an issue.

If ground clearance is not an issue, why not go Honda City/Toyota Corolla?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st January 2021 at 07:34.
landcruiser123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 07:39   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: New Kia Seltos vs Used Jeep Compass

Knowing your taste & preferences (from your posts), the Compass indisputably. While the Seltos is also fun to drive, the Compass is more so. It is built for long distance, high speed cruising and you'll have a permanent plastered on your face on long drives. While the India-spec Compass hasn't been crash-tested, I'm willing to bet it'll do better than the Seltos' disappointing result. Added bonus = you'll have a big FE advantage on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
It’s a Fiat product and that gives it an uncertain future.
They continue to invest in India, the latest rounds include CKD operations for the Wrangler too. I think they are around for a while; however, in the longer-term, you never know as the FCA Group & Peugeot face a lot of challenges. Still, being a reasonably popular model, you shouldn't have any part supply worries.

Adding a poll to make this thread more interesting
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 07:42   #4
Mik
BHPian

Re: New Kia Seltos vs Used Jeep Compass

All of your requirements make it a no brainer for the Compass.
I have the jeep compass diesel bs4 and on highways I easily get 18+ with reasonably quick speeds (blr-goa in 9.5 hrs).

The Seltos turbo petrol is definitely quicker (had test rode it before picking up the compass) but on most of the parameters you listed, Compass fits better.
Beige interiors are there only on the longitude variant of the compass IIRC.

Last edited by Mik : 21st January 2021 at 07:43.
Mik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 07:53   #5
BHPian

Voted for the Compass. However, if I had to make a decision between these two cars with my own money, I would probably buy the Seltos. FCA products have always been good. But when I see so many good condition Linea and Punto models being junked because of low resale value and bad service, I feel that the company cannot be trusted. Jeep is probably here to stay but they have not made any significant updates since the launch of the compass. They did not bring any other models also.

The recent merger of FCA and Peugeot means that corporate strategy teams will see a rejig and no one knows what they have in mind for India. I would not be able to afford to spend 15 lakhs on a car which may not live for another decade because of service and maintenance issues.

If you prioritize the product, Compass is the best choice. If you look at it in practical terms, Seltos might be better.
Cessna182 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 08:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

You're a speed junkie from your need/ want list.

If I were you, I'd prioritise ride and handling over outright power/ acceleration. The faster you go, the higher the chances of getting into an emergency situation especially at intersections with barricades and cross movement of vehicles. Been there and done that.

If I were you, I'd choose the Jeep Compass eyes closed. Fuel efficiency and safety is an added bonus.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 08:55   #7
BHPian

A toss up between being fast sometimes versus planted and quick all the time. Top speeds and sprints are only on a one off day. Consistency and safety are on all. Go Compass is my suggestion. FCA is still in the investing phase and even if they do pull out it will be years unless there is something totally untoward that one cannot predict. Leap of faith - Go for the Compass as it seems to tick all the boxes you want for the most part.
NevGin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 09:20   #8
BHPian

You could read @ramnaresh ownership review on his used Jeep Compass, bought by him last month.

Red Phoenix - My Used Jeep Compass Limited (D) MT : An Ownership Review
Vinod_nair is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 10:05   #9
BHPian

Your post itself highlights that you want to go for a compass, and I feel you should go for it, especially, if you find a well maintained recent example at/less cost of a Seltos. The Compass is a global product with global standards in contrast to something changed for India, watered down version of a international version.

Quote:

Pros and Cons as I see them:

Kia Seltos

Pros:

4. The turbo manual has the highest top speed among all the variants - almost 20 kmph more than the DCT and 30 kmph more than the
When the ride is going to be a weekend ride only, don't worry about it as the Compass is on par.

Quote:
Cons:

1. The Seltos will look horribly dated very very soon. Styling that is in your face and is the flavor of the month never ever lasts. Think Hyundai fluidic Verna - at one point it was the best looking car - but now is an ugly duckling. In comparison the (original) Vento never looked great but now doesn’t look as old as the fluidic Verna does either.

2. Sun roof - not a fan of this “feature” which is intended to bring in sun in cold countries and is completely out of place under Indian conditions. It can leak, rattle, and squeal it’s way to glory over time and when the seals wear out under the hot Indian sun, will bring in dust and water into the cabin.

3. Fuel efficiency in turbo petrols can never be depended on - the single largest minus. It would depend on your mood and the mood of the car. Take any FE figure of a turbo petrol only as a broad reference point.

4. The 3 star crash test ratings. Not a deal breaker though.

5. Various niggles - teething troubles happen with any new car - some have more, some have less - as long as the company is addressing it, it’s not an issue.
+1 to the looks point. The rear was dated on day one, the front is just too much busy with so many lights - can shame Diwali Decorations
Not gonna lie, just this other day a Seltos was coming from the front at way past dusk and the thing that came to my mind was what is that garish, el-cheapo thing! Realised it is a Seltos later.
The fluidic Verna looks much dated. Just compare a fluidic Verna with a 4th gen City of same vintage

Not worth that much risk for a small sunroof. A panoramic one would have been worth taking the risk.

Quote:
Pre owned Jeep Compass: BS IV

Cons:

1. It’s a Fiat product and that gives it an uncertain future.

2. Not a fan of its white / beige interiors

3. Engine gets noisy and boomy after 3000 rpm.

4. Turbo lag at lower rpms which gives it the same in gear acceleration of the petrol engined 140 bhp Seltos even though the Seltos is down on power by 33 bhp and 650 cc in engine size. Outright acceleration of the Seltos will leave the Jeep Compass way behind.

Looking for opinions - thanks in advance.
Use the money you will be saving over the GTX Seltos for interior cleaning twice a year - I know it is a pain but this is the only solution.
Regarding Fiat's future others have answered aptly. They have ambled on in India for more than two decades, I guess they will continue.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd January 2021 at 05:47. Reason: Rude bit deleted
Old 21st January 2021, 10:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Though the Jeep Compass has found its place in the top 10 list of unreliable cars in the US and all, I still voted for it in this thread, simply because of the horror stories on Kia Seltos - like the braking issues, DCT heating up in traffic and so on.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 11:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Though the Jeep Compass has found its place in the top 10 list of unreliable cars in the US...
Good point. But I think it'll be a different story for most people in India.
Here's why:
1. They sell mostly gasoline engines in the USA. Most European makers aren't the masters at making large displacement gas engines. But Europeans make some great diesel engines
2. Most 'unreliable' cars in the US face major issues after 100k miles (=160k km.) Most Indian cars are 'second hand' at that mileage
3. Barring oil changes, an average American doesn't do preventive maintenance like an average Indian. I'm willing to bet many owners of Jeeps in India have deep pockets - they'll mostly go with the recommendation of their SA. Most SAs upsell services to get a commission.
4. Weather conditions & salt on the roads (used to melt ice) cause electronic sensors to misbehave
5. ATs are the first to break if ATF isn't changed. I'm sure your jeep SA will upsell ATF change once a car is 6 years old
6. Diesel engines in America have more anti-pollution equipment. Hence, they will regularly have problems if the electronic sensors misbehave.
landcruiser123 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 11:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

While I have voted for the Seltos, after seeing the TD car which was 15k on the ODO, I dont think the Seltos will age well.

The car felt very very unrefined and coarse with the body panels not really feeling new at all (I use a 2011 Polo with ~88k on the ODO, which I think ages brilliantly)
2000rpm is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 21:07   #13
BHPian

From the list of requirements that you want from your new ride the compass is the one to go for. Also from your write up it is clear that your heart is tilted towards Compass but being apprehensive you are also considering Seltos. Go for a preowned new compass like Ramnaresh and you will appreciate your decision every time you go on a drive.

One more point,Compass will retain its exclusivity for a far longer time as Seltos has already looking to feel too common.
Sandeep500 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 23:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Compass. It honestly is a better product than the Seltos any day for me. Except features, the Compass can match the Seltos on almost every single aspect due to which it is the more popular choice amongst all BHPians.

You also shouldn’t be too worried about the future of Jeep in India, since the Compass is a global product so parts availability wouldn’t be an issue in the near future.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow! What a revelation!

Thanks everyone for posting your opinions and for voting.

Didn’t realize the Compass would be the preference by the large majority.

Truth be told, my heart was with the Kia Seltos because of its performance and was willing to pay more just for that.

@landcruiser123: the Honda and Toyota wouldn’t cut it because it doesn’t have the performance and stability I need.

@GTO thanks for adding a poll - quite the revelation.

On lack of exclusivity with the Seltos, while the exterior is common, the turbo petrol manual is sold in very few numbers and with the higher performance would make it a sleeper of sorts and therein lies the attraction.

On the Jeep being adjudged the most unreliable car in the US - clearly a red herring for us in India. If unreliability was an issue, we would have had a lot of reports by owners on team bhp and that doesn’t seem to be the case. Sure the Jeep is no Toyota but it’s got the reliability of at least a Linea and that is an acceptable level for the performance and handling on tap.

I thought the Seltos was up there in terms of high speed stability along with the Compass. Haven’t driven either long enough - a very short drive in the Seltos revealed that it doesn’t have turbo lag.

Would be having a longish drive in either to help decide the issue.

Thanks everyone once again!
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks