Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2021, 14:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car for a large-sized dog (Great Dane)?

My picks would be the new Safari, or the 7 seater MG hector. Both are spacious and would be able to accommodate a Great Dane. Do check out both.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 17:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You haven't mentioned your budget; I would recommend a Scorpio with side facing rear seats, with seats folded your Great Dane, will have enough space to sit comfortably, and since Scorpio is quite tall at the back, he might be able to easily stand as well.

Off all the cars we have, Our Scorpio is the Pooch Mobile, which is why, we are never going to sell it off.
A Scorpio, with its bobbing movement makes both my kids and wife skittish. All three of them are motion sick (I suspect my Dane too)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
I suggest MG Hector Plus (see @RT13 thread) or a pre-owned Lodgy or BRV (moderator @Smartcat has one).

Wish you and your pup a very long and happy life together.
Thanks mate. I am on the look out for a pre owned brv. Pity they had to discontinue it. But I have reservations regarding the cabin height for him. Will try out with a friend's vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I assume you are looking for a car exclusively for dog and for family drives, you have good car already. Secondly I am also assuming you will not combine dog and family trips together.

Third assumption is you are looking for a car that is in the same budget bracket as your current hatch.

With these assumptions, I suggest you to go with Maruti Omni or eeco where you have ample space for dog behind drivers row. 2-3 people can also be accomodated in the back row if you remove 2nd row seat(the one which faces backwards).

So, you can have 2 people in front, 2 at back and a big dog as well.

Ofcourse, limitations are there in this option but your space problem is solved.
No, idea is to travel together. But thanks for the innovative option
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Budget Based Suggestion

At times I feel like Innova Crysta is actually built for this job. Fold the third row and tie it sideways (like we have the arrangement in Crysta, and the available cabin height is enough for a Great Dane.

Need length too, simply tumble fold the second row too, and you are done.

Cars like XUV and Hexa also offer flat folding third row, but their third row only folds forward and hence with the seatback placed on the seatbase - the height available in the cabin is much compromised. Still, XUV5OO is my second recommendation.

In Innova Crysta, simply fold the row, and tie it sideways, it will work, same with XUV5OO, although flat folding seats, but height is still okay.

Pictures for your reference:
In case length is also needed, try to get a good used XUV5OO, I am 5'11" and I perfectly fit in the XUV 5OO with folded seats when I lay down there on long trips (we carry the mattress and always make a bed there), just fold the seats, put a mattress; and you have a perfect bed boot - additionally, the bigger glass area will probably we loved by your Dane too.
Great, will try the xuv, always thought length would be a problem. Crysta.. Perfect fit but even preowned prices are unrealistic. Would rather stretch and get a safari (which is the flavour of the month at home)

The hector plus is a left field option, will definitely see it once. The hector, in any case, was loved by all except me (I had my suspicions regarding the reliability)
handsofsteel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 20:06   #18
BHPian

Some of the options that I can think of are (in no particular preference) -

1. Ertiga
2. XL6
3. Alcazar (yet to be launched)
4. Renault Lodgy
5. Innova Crysta
6. Hector Plus
7. Used Honda BR-V/CR-V
sam264_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 21:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Dear friends, I have a large sized dog. To be precise, a Great Dane(think scooby doo). My present car is a hatch. I am thinking of upgrading/getting a second car so as to accommodate him on our trips.
That is very considerate of you to think about a different car for the needs of your pet. We have a Great Dane as well, when he stretches he is almost as tall as me at 6ft. The good part is that he curls up into a ball when he is relaxed, and can fit in much smaller spaces.

What about slobber? Does your dog get slobber everywhere? A typical dane drools too much, it gets all over the place. So if you have cloth anywhere, it may not be a healthy choice. I bought a rubber liner for our SUV (Weathertech). Once its all dirty, I hose it down in the backyard. So regardless of what car you decide to go with, you could consider the availability of a rubber liner that you can wash with ease.
GutsyGibbon is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 21:18   #20
S15
BANNED

Quote:
I am specifically looking for cars with three rows and a split second row so that some of the second row and the third row can be folded (flat?).

Do you want the second row to split 60-40?
Do you want captain seats in the middle row?

I prefer my dog to have freedom to move when he's in the car. So its his/her choice whether he wants to sit at he back, or whether he wants to come in the second row and cuddle his humans.

I'd recommend checking out the xl6
S15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 22:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
That is very considerate of you to think about a different car for the needs of your pet. We have a Great Dane as well, when he stretches he is almost as tall as me at 6ft. The good part is that he curls up into a ball when he is relaxed, and can fit in much smaller spaces.

What about slobber? Does your dog get slobber everywhere? A typical dane drools too much, it gets all over the place. So if you have cloth anywhere, it may not be a healthy choice. I bought a rubber liner for our SUV (Weathertech). Once its all dirty, I hose it down in the backyard. So regardless of what car you decide to go with, you could consider the availability of a rubber liner that you can wash with ease.
Along with the Dane, my kids too are growing up rapidly with one having entered the teens and another getting there. We are a tall family too. Another great input regarding the liner. Is it a sheet or something specific for a similar purpose? Would you have any link for such a liner? Yes he does curl up. Not much slobber as of now but yes I have seen an adult drool all over the place .
Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
Do you want the second row to split 60-40?
Do you want captain seats in the middle row?

I prefer my dog to have freedom to move when he's in the car. So its his/her choice whether he wants to sit at he back, or whether he wants to come in the second row and cuddle his humans.

I'd recommend checking out the xl6
Will have to check the xl6 too based on the number of suggestions here. However, not too sure it will have enough space for four 6+ footers(soon) and a Dane. Yes, I too, would like the pet to have freedom to move about. But I presumed that having a 60:40 split would give him more freedom besides allowing my kids to sit on the middle seat.
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 22:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Another great input regarding the liner. Is it a sheet or something specific for a similar purpose? Would you have any link for such a liner?
This is what we have for all our cars/SUVs. They are made specifically for a make/model.
https://www.weathertech.com/cargo-liner/

I see similar liners listed on Amazon India.
https://www.amazon.in/Protection-Wea...8247004&sr=8-5
GutsyGibbon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 10:11   #23
BHPian

With a budget of sub 20, my suggestion would be pre owned Innova/Crysta/Fortuner. Sticking with these three as they have oodles of space and third row ventilation, along with side folding third row. If the last row area of the car is supposed to be used only by your great dane and not other passengers, you can completely remove the seats altogether and have decent space and flat floor in the back. Lineup the floor with removable and washable mats.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 10:55   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

For a large dog like a Great Dane, the Renault Triber is also a good option. The Third row of seats is fully removable and the second row of seats can also be folded down to get more space in the back. You should also get very good floor to ceiling height as the third row of seats can be fully taken out from the car (boot space in this form is a massive 625L). The roof is also stepped up by around 2-3 inches to liberate more headroom in third row. Also, all of the second row seats can also be slid forward on rails to liberate more space.
https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...-triber-23.jpg
Another very good feature for dogs in third row is the Roof mounted AC vents for third row (Which are proper AC vents) which will help keep your Dog cool.
Do check out the Triber - it is one of the most VFM and spacious cars and especially good for people with dogs.

I had a Labrador earlier and now have a small Indie dog.
We used to take our Labrador in the Skoda Laura's boot (after removing parcel shelf) as it is a notchback design and he was happy there. We could also manage to put some luggage along with him in the boot.
In our Jeep Compass, there was space only for him and no space for luggage, and that too not enough space to keep him happy.

Last edited by Behemoth : 13th April 2021 at 11:07.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 11:17   #25
BHPian

One suggestion that is missing from all the suggestions that came puring in .

Marazzo .

Theres been a lot of talk about its magic carpet ride quality . Interiors are premium . Sufficiently large for a growing family plus a dog .

Roof mounted AC .

Sufficient cargo .

Seats fold flat .

Will soon be launched with an Automatic .
gautamkhadse is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 18:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
For a large dog like a Great Dane, the Renault Triber is also a good option. The Third row of seats is fully removable and the second row of seats can also be folded down to get more space in the back. You should also get very good floor to ceiling height as the third row of seats can be fully taken out from the car (boot space in this form is a massive 625L). The roof is also stepped up by around 2-3 inches to liberate more headroom in third row. Also, all of the second row seats can also be slid forward on rails to liberate more space.
https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...-triber-23.jpg
Another very good feature for dogs in third row is the Roof mounted AC vents for third row (Which are proper AC vents) which will help keep your Dog cool.
Do check out the Triber - it is one of the most VFM and spacious cars and especially good for people with dogs.

Thanks, I am planning to check it out after the suggestions here. I was wondering about the height inside, thanks for clarifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
One suggestion that is missing from all the suggestions that came puring in .

Marazzo .

Theres been a lot of talk about its magic carpet ride quality . Interiors are premium . Sufficiently large for a growing family plus a dog .

Roof mounted AC .

Sufficient cargo .

Seats fold flat .

Will soon be launched with an Automatic .
Coincidence! I saw one today at my office, evaluated it, and was wondering as to why is it not an alternative for the exorbitantly priced Innova. The automatic seems to be worth waiting for.
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 06:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

How about the Ertiga? Its 3rd row folded flat could be useful. An AT version means you can check on him from time to time while driving in a hassle free manner. That is an important aspect regardless of the car you choose. You dont want to be struggling with clutch/ gear and a complaining doggie at the same time.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 10:00   #28
BHPian

I think the XUV500 should meet your requirement adequately, with the 3rd row seats permanently collapsed.
Agarwaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 10:18   #29
VVN
BHPian

I don't think I agree with most of the options given here. I have a 11 month Golden and although he is nowhere near the size that your GD will be, I think it is imperative for you to consider fastening him up on those drives. The options that are mentioned here involve you folding down the backseat and providing space. In the event of sudden or emergency braking, the living thing becomes a projectile and will inevitably get hurt. I experienced this the hard way when I was rear ended and my boy experienced the laws of physics. Freedom of movement is not something you should focus on for him because that will simply mean he will hit the seat with more momentum (Worst case scenario). Dogs get restless yes but after being restrained for some time they will adjust and they have to for your safety and his. Full fledged SUVs, car seat cover and a dog seat belt should suffice. I've been very lucky to have gotten a boy who loves long drives and will simply either snooze off or just patiently sit and look outside (windows closed). Maybe try that with the Safari or the Harrier or something in that range. I am able to make do with my City

Last edited by VVN : 14th April 2021 at 10:24.
VVN is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 10:26   #30
BHPian

I would still suggest a V cross, put a large removeable / fixed canopy and the weather can be taken care of (the rear glass can be replaced with a slider to connect both parts of the cabin for AC with an added fan)

The pet can have a much larger room to play around in and the cabin would be free as well. Plus from a safety point too you can put up matrasses etc (plus dedicated tether points too) . I think the pet would weigh a lot too to make him sit on top of folded seats.

Image courtesy google search
Attached Thumbnails
Which car for a large-sized dog (Great Dane)?-124.jpg  

Which car for a large-sized dog (Great Dane)?-123.jpg  

Last edited by adi_sun : 14th April 2021 at 10:30. Reason: spelling
adi_sun is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks