Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2021, 12:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda City Replacement | 12-lakh budget | What new or used SUV to buy?

Your requirement screams Crysta but it's out of your budget. Being an XUV500 owner myself, I would suggest not to go for used XUV as the vehicle doesn't age well and most of the used ones will have some or the other niggles. If you can live with that then go ahead. If you search hard then you can find around post 2015 around 70-80K KM model for ~10L.

Let me give you a wildcard entry. Jeep Compass, you can find a used Diesel for around 13-14L. Negotiate and extend your budget a bit but you will be happy with the car. It's the only conventional SUV which is Fun-to-drive and also possess decent backseat comfort.
Old 4th June 2021, 12:30   #32
BHPian

I was in the same situation 12 months back. Looked long and hard in the Bangalore market and found a pre-owned XUV500 W6 AT for a 6 figured price with extended warranty and vehicle age <3 years with <25k kms. Think about it, its a full size SUV for IGNIS money. Yes! a top end IGNIS in Bangalore does cost 9.xx big ones.

Though the XUV500 was not on top of my list, it was too good an offer to pass up. The T-bhp reviews on the XUV500 (albeit from 2015/16) were good enough assurance for me to take the plunge. Haven't regretted it one bit and was infact pleasantly surprised by Mahindra's service experience.

After 4 road trips, the longest of which (~400km one way) was with 6 adults, the XUV500 has grown on me and I can recommend it to anyone looking for a 7 seater (or proper 5 + lot of luggage space). The fact that it is going to be phased out should help in negotiating a better price for some 2017-2018 models as well. This may bother some folks who upgrade cars at short intervals, but for someone like me who keeps their cars into their teens, re-sale price is not an issue.

A pre-owner Creta would also be a fuss free option.
Old 4th June 2021, 12:32   #33
BHPian

Hi, I own the very first diesel Nissan kicks in our forum purchased during the launch days! During 2017-2019 days there were informal talks about future of Nissan in India, but still I went ahead with kicks just because of its pure mechanicals, looks and the value proposition it offered among the abruptly over priced so called pseudo SUV the Creta or aged duster being the only 2 competitors. Having known about the tried and tested engine, platform and suspensions, yet I took about 3 trial runs on the HW and within city before booking one. Also Nissan kicks is the only car that provides VDC, TCS safety system as a standard fitment in their turbo variant. The driving dynamics, rear seat comfort, usable boot space and features offered wrt to price was so tempting to grab it. Especially the HW handling blew my mind away with superior grip and confidence even above 150 kmph speeds, while the creta felt risky past 120s. Comparing to Seltos, the rear bench of Kicks is more spacious, positioned with taller stance. Also the long rear suspension travel length helps in lesser bumpy ride than Seltos.

I had a good opportunity of driving the seltos of my cousin for 2 whole days, as we took both cars to kodailkanal for holidays. Both of our spouses experienced better rear seat comfortness in kicks, while in seltos both had a severe bumpy experience with feeling of air sickness. Also, the boot space of seltos was very small than on kicks. This we easily found it out when we tried to swap the luggages in our cars.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4634619 (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)

Since I had a prominent dealer in my city and the mechanicals are shared among various cars in the Renault-Nissan alliance, factory being owned by Nissan, I was convinced that Nissan will stay here. Even if Nissan would quit, I would be happy to own this underrated car as the spare and service would be made available for minimum 10 years as mandated by law. (I also own an 10 year old Chevy beat serviced by authorized dealer of Chevrolet India even in 2021)

Recently my Brother in law who owns an 9 year old Nissan micra has booked a Kicks 1.5Na petrol XV variant at Bangalore ! He is awaiting for the car since lockdown is imposed.

Check out my beauty clicked at 20th month with 29k on the odo.

Honda City Replacement | 12-lakh budget | What new or used SUV to buy?-20210604_125038.jpg

Justifying facts for your requirements.

1. Nissan will stay here with Magnite's hit and future launches. RNIPL factory which produce both renault and Nissan cars is also an export hub for the alliance unlike GM which quit the market along with its sale of Factory.

2. Being at the capital city of Telengana, you are closer to many dealers for service. Find the list of dealers in the below link.
https://dealers.nissan.in/location/t...na?cot=33%2C34

3. Please test drive "along with your family" with all your selected options and book the car which offers the most satisfying rear seat comfort . If possible do it on the same stretch of road. Make note of pros and cons of each car and keep it handy.

Note. I have given my view based on sole experience of driving my kicks which has clocked 34000 kms as of now. I do not wish to comment on cars which I never tried.

I personally don't like TATA or Mahindra for their half baked or unreliable products. Yet they are rugged enough and only for those who can live with those !

Last edited by jeganatu : 4th June 2021 at 12:57.
jeganatu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 13:30   #34
BHPian

Hi, I notice that your primary importance is a safe and comfortable ride(tourer) for the aged people(and also others too) at home sitting in the middle row of the SUV. In that case let me alert you that the middle row of the XUV5OO is a bit stiff and bumpy. I had the XUV for 5 years and most people sitting in the middle row complained about the stiff and bumpy ride. My mother could never manage on the highways, since she would easily throw up after about an hours ride. I would make her sit in the front to make her feel comfortable. Though she never complained about this in my current Alturas G4.
So, looking at your requirement I think the Innova would be the best bet. It is safe, the ride is compliant, ingress/egress for elders is not so cumbersome(all other proper SUV's have high GC) and its a TOYOTA.
You may have to stretch your budget a bit to get hold of a well maintained low run used Innova/Crysta.
My city office building owner sold his 7 year old Innova(40k on the ODO) for about 11 lacs. I dint even know it....would have grabbed it had I known earlier.
My suggestion would be to take a long TD of the all the SUV's you short list. It will certainly help you a lot in taking a decision.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 4th June 2021 at 13:38.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 10:14   #35

In 12-13 lac budget, you may also consider used 2014 Santa Fe. It's a great car and would be a nice upgrade from your current City as well. From new ones, you may also look at XUV300 which has spacious interiors and good tourer except for the boot space.

Since comfortable ride is your priority, you won't like ecosport's ride quality in city drives.
Old 6th June 2021, 16:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
The Ecosport & Kicks offer nothing more than your City & Freestyle offers, neither does any other CSUV.
Space and ride quality is more or less similar for ecosport and freestyle. Ecosport has sturdier build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Innova - However as pundits always say - be wary of the 1L km someone else has driven!
Very concisely summarised. Please stay away from Mahindra and TATA that had run more than 1 lac kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK01 View Post
Sorry, the budget is 12l strictly. Can stretch a lakh more.
Rear seat comfort and safety are the topmost priorities
Yes, Marazzo is now in my list. Will definitely consider that.
A new Marazzo can be easily had with deep discounts due to the general lack of business due to covid and the fact that it's a sales dud. Marazzo will be more of a head decision (The Ecosport is clinging to your heart from your post)

The marazzo will never have the driving dynamics of the ecosport and it will be necessary to drop a gear to overtake and in hills for full load plus luggage conditions. But it's a very comfortable and safe (4 star ncap) people mover that drives like a car.

Why don't you take a look at a used BRV? Your budget will get you some specimens with comparitively lesser mileage (40k or less). You may even find a well maintained CVT

Besides migrating from the City will be a breeze
Old 16th June 2021, 11:29   #37
BHPian

To everyone who helped me with a lot of information, a big thanks !!

I can't mention everyone name by name and quote each & every comment since there are many... I can't thank you guys enough!

By reading all the comments, I understood the following things.

My Honda City being a C-Segment sedan, upgrading would be an expensive affair.

The best pre-owned buy is the Crysta, XUV500 (below 40k on the odo), Hexa (below 40k on the odo).

The best first-hand buy would be the Marazzo and XL6.

Since my preference is both comfort and safety, XL6 is out of the question.

Keeping these things in mind, I've searched for a few sparingly used (below 40k) XUV500s and Hexa in my city Hyderabad.

1.Mahindra XUV500 W10 MT 2016 32k odo - 14l slightly negotiable.
Brief: No repairs and replacements till date. Totally clean history. Selling because the owner doesn't need a "heavy SUV" for the daily drives.

2. Mahindra XUV500 W6 MT 2018 43k odo - 10.5l after negotiations.
Brief: Well maintained car selling because of COVID crisis. Front windshield replaced due to stone crack as claimed by him. The rear tailgate replaced due to a dent. Front tires replaced and the rear tires up for replacement in 3-4k kms.

3. Mahindra XUV500 W10 MT 2018 57k odo - 12.5l slightly negotiable.
Brief: Yet to speak.

4. Tata Hexa XT MT 2018 30k odo - 12l slightly negotiable.

5. Tata Hexa XT MT 2018 19k odo - 13.5l final price.
Brief: Totally clean history. The Tata Motors central database shows "3 running repairs". 2 in 22k odo mark, and 1 in 17k odo mark and rest all are timely serviced history.

All the cars mentioned above have complete showroom track and are said to be maintained well. To keep you informed, I'm at Vijayawada now and yet to check the vehicle live. However, I got the vehicle's history checked at their respective showrooms through friends network and found the history to be clean.

Now the question is,

1. What should I look for in those cars before buying?
2. Is Tata Hexa still a VFM offering considering its availability, spares and the brand "TATA" which is highly unreliable?
3. What all issues and problems are they bound to post 40-50k on the odo ?
4. Does the clutch plates & suspension of Tata and Mahindra give up too early at around 40-50k?

5. What is the best price for all the above-mentioned cars?

Finally, your suggestions and inputs to help me in the decision making & buying process.

FYI, I'm more inclined towards the 2nd XUV500 W6 MT 2018 43k odo considering its price and slight scope further negs.

PS: Did not mention Crystas since the price is upwards of 16l for a 1l driven G variant

TIA!
Old 16th June 2021, 12:06   #38
BHPian

Mod note: Post edited to trim the quoted text, please avoid quoting entire large post for a short reply. Thanks.

Quote:
======
PS: Did not mention Crystas since the price is upwards of 16l for a 1l driven G variant

TIA!
May I know if there are any Mahindra experts / XUV500 owners from Hyderabad so that I can connect with them ?

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th June 2021 at 12:09.
Old 17th June 2021, 11:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Mod note: Post edited to trim the quoted text, please avoid quoting entire large post for a short reply. Thanks.

May I know if there are any Mahindra experts / XUV500 owners from Hyderabad so that I can connect with them ?
XUV500 is not very highly rated by passengers for comfort. I have an aunt who refuses to do any long journeys in the XUV. I bring this up since you mentioned for you rear passenger comfort is a top priority.

Did you test drive the Marazzo before deciding ? If passenger comfort is a priority Hexa/Marazzo are superior to the XUV.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 11:54   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
XUV500 is not very highly rated by passengers for comfort. I have an aunt who refuses to do any long journeys in the XUV. I bring this up since you mentioned for you rear passenger comfort is a top priority.

Did you test drive the Marazzo before deciding ? If passenger comfort is a priority Hexa/Marazzo are superior to the XUV.
Did not test drive the Marazzo since none in our family liked the "taxi styling". A highly underrated car I must say.

Hexa, yes. Very comfortable and equals to the Crysta.

Can you help me with the above-asked questions so that I can make an informed and knowledgeable decision in choosing the XUV500 and Hexa.
Old 17th June 2021, 19:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Did not test drive the Marazzo since none in our family liked the "taxi styling". A highly underrated car I must say.

Hexa, yes. Very comfortable and equals to the Crysta.
In my books Hexa is more comfortable than Crysta.

Quote:
Can you help me with the above-asked questions so that I can make an informed and knowledgeable decision in choosing the XUV500 and Hexa.
I am hardly an expert on XUV500. I would recommend to post your queries to the respective official reviews thread or ask the owners. There are plenty of XUV/Hexa owners on the forum.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 09:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1.Mahindra XUV500 W10 MT 2016 32k odo - 14l slightly negotiable.
Brief: No repairs and replacements till date. Totally clean history. Selling because the owner doesn't need a "heavy SUV" for the daily drives.

2. Mahindra XUV500 W6 MT 2018 43k odo - 10.5l after negotiations.
Brief: Well maintained car selling because of COVID crisis. Front windshield replaced due to stone crack as claimed by him. The rear tailgate replaced due to a dent. Front tires replaced and the rear tires up for replacement in 3-4k kms.

3. Mahindra XUV500 W10 MT 2018 57k odo - 12.5l slightly negotiable.

4. Tata Hexa XT MT 2018 30k odo - 12l slightly negotiable.

5. Tata Hexa XT MT 2018 19k odo - 13.5l final price.
Brief: Totally clean history. The Tata Motors central database shows "3 running repairs". 2 in 22k odo mark, and 1 in 17k odo mark and rest all are timely serviced history.

TIA!
I would say Hexa offers a much better ride quality and comfort than the XUV. I would say it's the most sorted Tata product till date, and should not pose much issues WRT reliability. That said, considering we won't be able to see the cars you have shortlisted, it will entirely depend on how good you find these cars, once you have a visit at the dealership.

A bit offtopic, I would say you are parting away with the city quite early. If it's not showing any signs of aging, you can continue to munch miles for 2-3 years more, save a bit, and buy something better (maybe a used XUV700?).
If ingress/egress isn't an issue, my suggestion would be to keep the City.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 00:28   #43
BHPian

Hey SK01,

I've noticed in your signature that you had bought yourself a preowned 2015 XUV500! If it's true, then, please share the review and the pictures of your new acquisition, i.e, XUV500!

Oh, and, BTW, congrats on your new acquisition!
Old 11th July 2021, 07:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

[b]1. What should I look for in those cars before buying?
2. Is Tata Hexa still a VFM offering considering its availability, spares and the brand "TATA" which is highly unreliable?

[
A close family member has the Tata Hexa and used to own the XUV500 earlier. XUV had its fair share of niggles and M&M could not resolve many of those despite escalations. This experience eventually led to frustration and sale of the XUV500 in exchange for the Tata Hexa. Due to daily washing of the XUV500, the bottom of the doors started rusting within the warranty period (some drain clogging issue). M&M eventually replaced and painted all 4 doors under warranty. Not a good experience in my opinion.
I have driven and sat in the Tata Hexa. 2nd row comfort is much better than Innova Crysta. You should consider this aspect when deciding between a pre-owned XUV and Hexa. Resale value of XUV compared to Tata Hexa is a different story though.

Edit: Noticed you may have already brought the XUV500.

Last edited by hrman : 11th July 2021 at 07:07.
Old 6th September 2021, 20:43   #45
BHPian

What car for my software engineer friend?

Hi All BHPians
My friend who is a software engineer by profession is looking for car up to the price of 12 lakhs(max). The reason I mentioned software engineer is because he is currently in Work from Home mode and it is going to be like this for quite sometime. He's looking for a car as he's also getting married in December this year. He actually shortlisted Ecosport Titanium but looking at the present state of Ford India we are not sure about it also the facelift looks weird from the front. I am mentioning his requirements-
1) Safety is priority- A star rated car is desired
2) Power- He's not a very enthusiastic driver but good power is appreciated
3) Good Music system with Android Auto and Apple Carplay ( screen size is not a matter)
4) Maintenance cost shouldn't be very high
5) Traction control and ESP ( Negotiable)
6) Sunroof ( Negotiable)
7) Shouldn't be a Tata
8) Good ground clearance ( for some hilly trips occasionally)
9) Not fond of Base Variants
TSI47 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks