Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2021, 01:08   #1

Conundrum - Jeep Compass or used BMW X1

Hi,

I've been in constant confusion to select my next purchase which has lingered for over 1.5 yrs, partially due to the pandemic.

Requirements -
Budget 20-30L
Reliability. I'm going to keep this car for like 10-12 years
Comfortable for long distance (I have lumbar issues)
High on the safety side
Should not be bulky like the fortuner /endeavor
Light steering

Although I prefer a compact suv, i can manage with a sedan as well.

After thorough research, and going over pros and cons of harrier, Octavia, kushaq, Tucson, Hector, elantra and even seltos, I settled on the petrol jeep dct, model S. 29L OTR.

Now my brother (even my better half) come up and say I've got it wrong, I should go for a used BMW X1, a 25k km driven 2018 model worth the same amount.

Thing is, I don't care one bit for the brand value like my family members, but is a used X1, really a better product over the compass. I think features in compass trump over the 2018 X1 as well. Living in Chandigarh, I have both service centres nearby, but I really doubt the long term reliability of the BMW (I could be seriously wrong here; I now the VAG group cars fit into this category, but I'm putting BMW in the same group).
NarulaAJ is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 11:25   #2
BHPian

re: Conundrum - Jeep Compass or used BMW X1

The X1 is definitely a whole segment above the Compass, and is better to drive as well. Modern BMWs are fairly reliable and cost of total ownership over the period of 10 years should come to the same thing (more or less) as the first owner has already taken the depreciation hit. Do get the extended warranty and maintenance package though, as the maintenance cost will be a little higher with the BMW.

However, the 2021 Compass is more feature-packed. The X1 is decently packed, take a test-drive and see if it feels better. Check this thread How to buy a Used Car in India (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India) and if it ticks the right boxes, go ahead. The X1 will not disappoint.

Have one since 3 years now, and the experience has been really good. You should be able to bargain a little and actually get it for less than the Compass.

Last edited by hridaygandhi : 4th July 2021 at 11:34.
hridaygandhi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 13:09   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Conundrum - Jeep Compass or used BMW X1

Definitely the X1 between the two. The Compass is best in MT only. Both ATs (petrol & diesel) are extremely lackluster. The Petrol AT even more so because it is unimpressive as well as a gas guzzler. BMWs are very reliable and over the longer term, the X1 will surely be more reliable than the Compass. Neither will be a "Toyota" though.

Take a TD in the Citroen C5 Aircross - the drive quality will blow you away. It is damn well engineered. But the long-term after-sales & reliability are unknowns. Cars worth waiting for = next-gen Tucson which is coming next year & the Kodiaq 2.0 TSI. Take a spin in the VW T-Roc as well. You may like it. Shop properly. You keep your cars for long (like me), hence it is very important to buy something you really love.

But if you want something today, go for the pre-owned X1 and put it through our full used car buying checklist (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India). Extend the warranty to 6 years and you're all set.

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2021 at 13:12.
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 13:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Conundrum - Jeep Compass or used BMW X1

At that price, the X1 is the logical choice. In my place, a used X1 below 30k kms and 3 years age costs 33-35L. At 29L, your decision is much simpler. X1 will be better than compass.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 15:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarulaAJ View Post
Hi,

I've been in constant confusion to select my next purchase which has lingered for over 1.5 yrs, partially due to the pandemic.

Requirements -
Budget 20-30L
Go for the X1, if you're going to get it for even +/- ₹1L of the Jeep Compass.
Modern-day BMWs are fairly reliable. Get the BSI Package & Extend the warranty to as long as possible and you'll be good for the time you keep your car.

Quote:
Comfortable for long-distance (I have lumbar issues)
High on the safety side
The X1 is also pretty comfortable, but even though I've only been in the Jeep twice, I can tell you that the Jeep is a bit stiff but handles bad roads very well. Safety-wise, the X1 would be better and it would also be a more fun-to-drive and better handling car.
akash_v12 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 11:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridaygandhi View Post

Have one since 3 years now, and the experience has been really good. You should be able to bargain a little and actually get it for less than the Compass.
Can you please help me with some details on the ownership costs for a luxury car like X1? What's the service interval, cost like?

I was briefly in the used luxury car market until I heard some of the service costs for Merc (some said regular service itself could come upto 1-1.2L).

Can you shed some light on this topic?
krishnakumar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 12:13   #7
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

If you are not a serious off-road enthusiast, compass is the best bet but please be aware of its poor mileage and little boot space.

Quote:

After thorough research, and going over pros and cons of harrier, Octavia, kushaq, Tucson, Hector, elantra and even seltos, I settled on the petrol jeep dct, model S. 29L OTR.

Now my brother (even my better half) come up and say I've got it wrong, I should go for a used BMW X1, a 25k km driven 2018 model worth the same amount.

Thing is, I don't care one bit for the brand value like my family members, but is a used X1, really a better product over the compass. I think features in compass trump over the 2018 X1 as well. Living in Chandigarh, I have both service centres nearby, but I really doubt the long term reliability of the BMW (I could be seriously wrong here; I now the VAG group cars fit into this category, but I'm putting BMW in the same group).

Last edited by Sheel : 6th July 2021 at 07:53. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 5th July 2021, 12:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Budget 20-30L
Comfortable for long distance (I have lumbar issues)
High on the safety side
Should not be bulky like the fortuner /endeavor
Light steering
X1 over the compass any day. But you said your planning to keep the car for 10-12 years. If so do make sure that you get a used one, of which you know the complete history. If going for the compass take the manual gearbox.

You said you don't prefer rides like the Fortuner/endeavor, what about a brand new Innova crysta ?
Old 5th July 2021, 12:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Can you shed some light on this topic?
As with all cars, the Total Cost of Ownership has 4 parts:

1. Initial Cost/Depreciation:
Used cars depreciate fast, and hence a sparsely used X1/C-Class is available for new Compass/Octavia money. Pre-owned is the way to go as the first owner bears maximum brunt of the depreciation, and if you keep the car for a long period, 8-10 years, the resale will be similar to Compass/Octavia. I purchased a 6k run 2017 X1 in 2018 for Compass money.

2. Fuel Expenses:
The big diesels are fairly efficient, and I get about 15-17 kmpl on the highway with a heavy foot, and around 13-14 kmpl in the city. The petrols will be guzzlers, but that is the case with all modern turbo-petrols, even in the 10L bracket. In short, the fuel bills will more or less be at par with cars in the 15-30L bracket.

3. Insurance Cost:
The insurance will be on the slightly higher side thanks to the higher IDV, and it is advisable to go for the zero-dep comprehensive cover. This should set you back by 80k-1L per annum. (I personally do not go for the zero dep cover, but that is because of different set of calculations).

4. Maintenance Cost:
Now for the elephant in the room. The service interval, as with most modern cars, is 1 year/10 thousand kms. A routine service costs 35k + incidental and wear and tear expenditure. For example, a battery from BMW costs 35k, a set of 4 tires cost 80k (from an independent tire shop). In general parts and labour will be costly.
On an average, the past 3 services from BMW ASS has cost be 50-60k each year. Apart from that, I have ended up spending 40k in replacing two tires and 17k for a battery. Incidental expenses like getting a new logo (the rear logo was stolen), getting the parking break cable fixed (rat menace) and front right fog lamp have set me back by 60k over 3 years. But the key to keep the costs in check is to have a reliable independent FNG, which I have been fortunate to have found. Otherwise, fixing these minor issues would have cost in 6 digits.

The right way to buy a Pre-owned German:
Find a sparsely used example which is still under warranty, and with some patience, it is not difficult to find one, and is worth it to pay a slight premium for it. Get the longest possible extended warranty and coverage for peace of mind. Account for this cost while buying itself. Have an independent reliable FNG who has the experience of working on these cars, it will save you tons of money. I get my yearly service done at the BMW ASS but do not get any parts replaced there. The service at the ASS is for merely identifying the issues, to be fixed at the FNG. And so far, it has worked well for me.
All in all, account for 2L per annum after the upkeep of the German, including insurance and all. Some year it may cost lesser than that, and what you may save for that year, may come in handy in the next. These are fairly reliable machines, and the key is to go for a used example when you can afford a brand new one, and you will not be disappointed.
hridaygandhi is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 12:44   #10
BHPian

This is like Déjà vu. I was in the similar conundrum last year. I took the below attached decision & don't regret a bit.

Conundrum - Jeep Compass or used BMW X1-img_5722.jpg

Don't forget to take the extended warranty (BRI).

Cheers,
Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 07:14   #11

Thank you for so many inputs folks, I still have a couple of talking points though -

1. Cost of ownership of jeep over the next 10 yrs would be overall lesser (much higher in x1, especially if there are breakdowns)

2. Buying used expensive cars would be better handled, if I find a local garage (any suggestions in Chandigarh Tricity). Because I don't have a clue about taking cars other than ASS.

3. I'm wondering if I find a used camry for a 25-28L and similar usage, it'd be a better deal, considering the ownership, and overall long term experience (although it'd be a bit boring I think)
NarulaAJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 08:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Take a TD in the Citroen C5 Aircross - the drive quality will blow you away. It is damn well engineered.
+1 to that . I'd pick up the C5 aircross over an X1 or compass any day. It's a damn lovely car and IMO Citroen will soon start giving substantial discounts to get decent numbers, considering the pricing blunder.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 6th July 2021 at 08:26.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 08:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

If reliability and service costs are a worry, my two alternatives-
1) Hyundai Tucson diesel 2.0AT (would be even better if you can wait for new gen next year)
2) Toyota Camry (Pre Owned)
Old 6th July 2021, 10:04   #14
BHPian

Even though I am more inclined towards Jeep Compass because I own one, I have to say when spending 30 big ones, better go with BMW X1.

Please do check out ownership review of bhpian Navneet

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...laxy-blue.html (My Facelifted Jeep Compass S Diesel Automatic 4x4 (Galaxy Blue))

And ownership review of bhpian arun_josie sir

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...00-kms-up.html

My 2 cents

Jeep Compass:
  • Low maintenance.
  • Legendary 4X4 capabilities.
  • No nonsense design which ages gracefully.
  • Plethora of features.
  • Solid build quality and 50+ safety features.
  • Reliable diesel and petrol engines.
  • Manual is better than AT though.

BMW X1:
  • It's a BMW, the brand is enough to make your friends and neighbours jealous.
  • A segment above Jeep Compass.
  • Better AT.
  • Low resale and high maintenance though.
  • Decently used vehicle is always hard to find and maybe a gamble.
  • Famous kidney grill is a hit or miss.

Best of luck.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 10:13   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I settled on the petrol jeep dct, model S. 29L OTR.

Between the two specific configurations you mentioned, I would pick the X1 any day. BTW, which X1 are you referring to? Is this X1 20d or 20i? What trim is it? Some more details on that would help.

The biggest USP of Jeep Compass (IMHO) is the 4x4 option and the lovely diesel engine which again shines only in manual. Therefore, the variant of Compass that would be a winner would be Diesel 4x4 MT. Sadly, that is not available anymore in the new line-up. Further, the petrol AT you have chosen lacks these USPs.

Given that the main USP of Compass is gone anyways from your configuration, the X1 looks lot better. The X1 has much better engines (both petrol and diesels) than Compass. X1 gearbox is as good as it gets in this segment. Overall driving experience of X1 will be a class ahead of Jeep Compass. For a long highway drive, X1 will definitely be more comfortable on your back than Jeep Compass (saying this since you specifically mentioned lumbar issues).

Reliability wise neither are extremely reliable like a Toyota or a Maruti, but I would say X1 would be relatively more reliable. There are a few known issues surfacing on Jeep Compass here on the forum (and Jeep is known to be a bit troublesome on reliability front, globally), but nothing much that I know of on X1. X1 will be smooth and reliable as long as you do the regular maintenance. Of course, unfortunately, should you need some repairs, then X1 is going to be more expensive to repair/fix than Jeep Compass. So while probability of requiring unscheduled repairs is low on X1, the cost of those repairs, should that be required, would be high.

But given all the positives the X1 offers, I would take that risk.

Where the X1 falters is that it does not have the same driving dynamics as the other BMWs. So if someone is looking for a 3-series for its handling and the driving pleasure, I would never recommend them the X1. However, this is not relevant in your case since your comparison is with Compass, and X1 will still handle as good as or better than the Compass. And the list of requirements you mentioned did not include handling and cornering abilities anyway.

BTW talking of my personal experience, I bought a used 320d in 2018 and that was one of the best car decisions in my life. 3 years later, I am absolutely happy with that car and love it to the bits. Have several great memories with the 320d already.

I somehow feel you would also be equally happy 3 years down the road if you choose the X1.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th July 2021 at 11:15. Reason: As requested.
Dr.AD is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks