Mercedes-Benz G-Class 28 18.79%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 6.04%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2021, 18:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Land Rover Defender vs Jeep Wrangler vs Conventional SUVs vs Others

Land Rover Defender

Price: Rs. 80.72 - 122.22 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi)

Land Rover Defender Pros

• Fabulous styling! Land Rover has perfectly amalgamated history with contemporariness
• Solid, rugged and indestructible feel. You'll love driving the Defender. It oozes character
• Interiors portray extreme thoughtfulness in design & offer loads of practicality
• Wide engine range includes a 2.0P, 3.0P and 3.0D. V8 petrol is on the horizon too
• Air suspension offers very good ride comfort
• Comes fully loaded with kit & technology. Rugged, but has all the modern goodies
• Offroad capability is top class!
• 5-star Euro NCAP safety rating & equipment

Land Rover Defender Cons

• 2.0 petrol feels strictly 'adequate'. Get the larger 3.0 motors if you can
• Workhorse 2.0 diesel (usually the best seller in India) isn't on sale
• 2.0 Petrol AT's low fuel economy (again, the 2.0 diesel will be missed)
• Some interior parts don't feel luxurious, keeping the price tag in mind
• Land Rover's questionable long-term reliability
• Expensive, especially the higher variants & bigger engines
• 3rd seat row is too small & tiny to be usable

Review Link

Jeep Wrangler
Land Rover Defender vs Jeep Wrangler vs Conventional SUVs vs Others-wrangler.jpeg

Price: Rs. 53.90 - 57.90 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi)

Launch Thread

Mercedes-Benz GLE / BMW X5
Land Rover Defender vs Jeep Wrangler vs Conventional SUVs vs Others-gle-x5.jpg

Mercedes-Benz GLE Price: Rs. 79.90 - 96.30 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi)

BMW X5 Price: Rs. 76.50 - 88.00 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi)

abhilashgp's Ownership Review of the GLE

karan561's Review of the GLE

BMW X5 Launch Thread

Land Rover Discovery
Land Rover Defender vs Jeep Wrangler vs Conventional SUVs vs Others-discovery.jpeg

Price: Rs. 88.06 - 119.80 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi)

Launch Thread

Range Rover Sport
Land Rover Defender vs Jeep Wrangler vs Conventional SUVs vs Others-range-rover-sport.jpeg

Price: Rs. 91.27 - 184.12 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi)

Launch Thread

Porsche Macan / Jaguar F-Pace
Land Rover Defender vs Jeep Wrangler vs Conventional SUVs vs Others-f-pace-macan.jpg

Jaguar F-Pace Price: 69.99 lakh

Jaguar F-Pace Launch Thread

Porsche Macan Thread

Mercedes-Benz G-Class
Land Rover Defender vs Jeep Wrangler vs Conventional SUVs vs Others-gclass.jpeg

Price: Rs. 164.40 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi)

Launch Thread

karan561's Review
ChiragM is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:42   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Land Rover Defender vs Jeep Wrangler vs Conventional SUVs vs Others

Voted for the Defender . Fallen in love with its styling and loved the SUV even more after spending a weekend with it. The Defender screams C-H-A-R-A-C-T-E-R, has very unique styling & presence, and the interiors too are such a fashion statement. Got its offroad credentials in order, while still offering excellent on-road ride comfort (unlike the Wrangler). Ride quality is very important to me and I can't daily a bumpy vehicle anymore.

Main 2 concerns = bigger engines are too expensive & Land Rover's poor reliability track record. Will wait for ownership reviews & the Defender to hit the pre-worshipped market. But am crazy in love with it.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 20:17   #3
Team-BHP Support

Since all of these vehicles are in a totally different price range and there’s no mention of budget, my pick will be the top of line G-63 AMG.

Once you get used to that engine, the sitting posture and the comfort there’s nothing else to consider. In fact, I will pick this over the more expensive Urus any day.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th August 2021 at 20:21.
Turbanator is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 00:57   #4
BHPian

Wow!! Couldn't have been a better time for this to pop up for me.
For some reason, my last 2 weeks have only gone in preparing my perfect defender in my dreams. What sort of a setup it would have, tyres and wheels and what not. And the only other car that I kept thinking about as an alternative option was the Jeep.

This is all for dreams only by the way. In my dreams the use case is hitting the hills and reaching the snow for the most part. No camping or overlanding setup. Just mostly a fridge and a picnic kind of a setup.

With the defender, I think the only real concern is that the 2 litre engine feels only adequate (From the Reviews) and with the bigger engines you cannot go below 19 inches for rim size which limits use of proper off road tyres. Now, I don't intend to do any tricky trails or anything, so maybe I should be able to find good enough options with the 19 or 20 inch rims of bigger defenders.

However, the Jeep is nearly half the cost, comes factory fitted with proper offroad 32 inch tyres.

This is really a tricky one, but my heart keeps going back to the defender.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 08:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

The LR Defender ! I didn't even look further what the other options are TBH since it was already at the top of the poll list. i've not driven one nor even seen one in flesh but I'm madly in love with it and it's become my dream car since the launch and after having watched it's Namibia expeditions and other you tube videos. Setting my sights on a pre owned one few years down the line

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 18th August 2021 at 08:50.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 14:39   #6
BHPian

When there's a G-Class in the list, there's really no competition. @Turbanaor has already pointed out the reasons in his post above (post #3). Need not elaborate more. Even my pick would be the G63 AMG.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 15:48   #7
BHPian

Voted for Defender.
Once you see the Defender on road, you realise how different it is to everything else you’ve seen
Personally, I know my head would turn a lot faster seeing a Defender than say seeing an Urus.
This is one car which looks more expensive than it is.
LR has few issues to sort out but if you’re shopping in this price bracket, I am sure your heart will rule your head if you just see the Defender once.
SShandilya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 15:57   #8
BHPian

Though I'll not be shopping for a car in that price range anytime soon, but given the options here and at a price somewhere between the Defender and G63, my pick would be the Cayenne Coupe. I'm madly in love with the simplistic yet classy designs of Porsches ever since I saw the Panamera Sport Turismo (default choice if the poll hadn't been for SUVs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Since all of these vehicles are in a totally different price range and there’s no mention of budget, my pick will be the top of line G-63 AMG.

Once you get used to that engine, the sitting posture and the comfort there’s nothing else to consider. In fact, I will pick this over the more expensive Urus any day.
Though I don't have any experience with this beast but considering you have an M5, won't something that handles tighter and is sharp to drive would be preferred in this price range by you sir? Maybe like a Cayenne turbo (can go to most of the places too). IMO the G is an overkill with a huge V8 and compromised dynamics, but that's just what I have read on the net. Never experienced these uber luxury bad boys .

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 18th August 2021 at 16:05.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 00:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the G-class. From the lot, the G-class, wrangler & defender form a considerable trio and suitable competition to each other. The others have come to witness the glory of the trio

The wrangler has that perfect off road look and with that price range one will not hesitate to go the path untraveled. However when compared to the other two, things like refinement and comfort go out the window. It however makes an excellent case as a proper everyday off roader.

The Defender seems to be the one that ticks most boxes. A contemporary take on an iconic nameplate, the design is futuristic while still retaining hints to it's predecessor. Also a monocoque chassis with off-roading credentials will provide everyday practicality. The car seems to be built to last, but what about reliability as Land rover has that as it Achilles heel.

The G class on the other hand is the one that oozes luxury and offers a perfect blend of off road and comfort. It also has that old school retro look. However most of the customers will hesitate to do proper off-roading in that vehicle. However as an everyday car I would choose the G class as the car in itself is a statement.

Although both are from different segments, would be nice to know between the defender and the G class, which would be more comfortable in terms of everyday urban road conditions ? Also how does the reliability factor fare between the two ?

Last edited by TrackDay : 19th August 2021 at 00:42.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 01:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

The list includes cars from different price ranges and I would love to own each of them, except the ones mentioned as "Something Conventional" and the Discovery 5 (I hate the rear end). But I have voted for other because I cannot make up my mind. Price no bar, my first choice would be Range Rover Vogue very closely followed by Mercedes G-Class and Range Rover Sport SVR. Otherwise, I would just be happy with a classic Defender 90 that can be taken offroad without breaking the bank and can run till the apocalypse comes!

Land Rover Defender vs Jeep Wrangler vs Conventional SUVs vs Others-e043c784480448db8c7ee5f1c7631f07.jpeg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 19th August 2021 at 01:54.
BlackPearl is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
my pick would be the Cayenne Coupe. …considering you have an M5, won't something that handles tighter and is sharp to drive would be preferred in this price range …Maybe like a Cayenne turbo (can go to most of the places too). IMO the G is an overkill with a huge V8 and compromised dynamics,
Right, so first thing, you will not find a garage that has just the G, it will always have company of a Porsche or an M car.

You are correct, handling of a Porsche Cayenne will be better than a G, present generation including but G is not bought for handling. Similarly, handling of a 718/911 or an M car will be far better than a Cayenne.

Problem of picking one that meets most of your requirements usually happens when you have a budget, but as with most guys shopping in this segment, it’s normally not the case so they end up having both

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th August 2021 at 09:43.
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 10:05   #12
BHPian

The LandRover Defender makes a good choice with good On-Road and Off-Road ability.

But with no context to the poll or the buyer's criteria, its incomplete.

In my case, If I do have the budget, I would instead get the G-Wagon. The Diesel one, if not the full on G63 AMG. Nothing else
Old 19th August 2021, 10:15   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

If it had to be one car that I would buy at this price point, then it would be none other than a pre-owned Land Cruiser, enough said!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

The AMG G63 is a difficult car to drive. It’s handling is defective, it’s ergonomics are hugely faulty and it’s got one helluva powerful engine to top it all. Not the best combination by any yardstick.

But if you want sheer presence, nothing comes close with that exhaust note and the car is driven at comfortable speeds. A lot of city situations can be troublesome because of the irksome handling.

Driving at speed is best done on good roads without too much traffic and after getting used to the car keeping in mind that it can be very unforgiving of mistakes. While it’s easy to get comfortable fairly quickly with M’s and AMG sedans this car is different.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 16:58   #15
BHPian

Couldn't vote but Defender would be my choice any day of the week, purely for the looks, nothing beats it in my opinion. Looks even better in person

But Wrangler for offroading if comparing the stock cars only, thanks to these videos I saw

See 11:40 & 13:55

Not sure if these tyres are specifically for use on tarmac only as the video by TFLoffroad mentions that they are using all stock cars & the one above too seems to be using stock ones.
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks