Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2007, 14:51   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
What is your budget??

4 lacs for now (can accomodate more if I come across a well maintained piece with some goodies thrown in). But I have not completely ruled out picking up a much older Safari for half that price and going through the hassle of transplanting a more powerful engine in it. anyone to support this?

Last edited by gbpscars : 16th May 2007 at 15:04.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Older than that you have the TCIC which I presume is seriously underpowered.
tsk1979, could you please explain by what one means by 'the TCIC is underpowered'.

I understand that the power-to-weight ratio is not too good. I understand my torque and BHP lessons well.

But, I'm not looking forward to some vehicle with which I can overtake another vehicle at 140kmph while already doing a 100 kmph. i have done that with ease on my OHC.

But, I would like to know from some TCIC owners if the behemoth can pull itself without strain on grossly pot-holed roads with stones erupting everywhere with the AC on?

Am not for off-roading, but looking for comfort and a no-worries drive on post-monsoon roads that one gets to see in Maharashtra's otherwise beautiful locales.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Be very careful with regards to the condition of the car,must say a person I know went in for a pre-owned safari, and had a very bad time with the tcic safari, even though it was not very costly in terms of repairs the frequency of problems was very irritating.Also remember you are going in for diesel with hardly any running that is another thing which could be problematic especially in the older generation diesels.

If image is not a problem a brand new sumo/bolero could be a better option.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
one word of caution, the old model Scorpio is very bumpy behind,
thanks autoenthusiast, i did realise it on a when I drove a 2003 Scorpio to Uran recently.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
yes..the TCIC is powerful enough..but i doubt you will get a well maintained safari..
What is your budget??

Godfather
It's tough but not impossible. I got one after searching for a couple of months. It is not like buying an Indica where the classifieds page carries 30 Indicas per week.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

I found the TCIC a pain to drive in city. I am used to an indica, still I found it a pain. You are used to Honda city. You will cry.
As for used TCICs its not so difficult to find, but to find one in good condition? Best of luck.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I found the TCIC a pain to drive in city. I am used to an indica, still I found it a pain. You are used to Honda city. You will cry.
As for used TCICs its not so difficult to find, but to find one in good condition? Best of luck.

I sort of understand the pain that I will have to expect after my changeover . thanks for your wishes. But I will surely miss the simple, easy and quick 0-100s.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Used OHC is fine but be carefull when you buy used Diesel vehicles, buying used Safari or scorpios risky so Search for used Innova Petrol, used Adventure Petrol, Both have poor resale value. Owners selling these cars will be under tension since very very less takers right now.

Also search for Used Petra, these are awasome cars.

Used Diesel is always risky! However If you check and shop you can find good ones.

In Bangalore the person whom I know has Petra 2005 (I guess) model ..
He is still strugling to sell his car for good price of around 3.5 lacs :(

So think about Used Petra/Adventure/Innova. These are highway vehicles.

Ravi.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:13   #24
BHPian

I think buying second hand diesel vehical is no problem if the seller is giving you service records. I remember i read in TOI in Delhi some one was selling Safari Dicor Sep 2005 Model done 21K with service records. So try some one with service records.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:29   #25
nbr
BHPian

saw an ad by M&m about the new cheaper SCORPIO with M2Di engine.can u guys put some inputs about this engine ?
Old 16th May 2007, 16:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
saw an ad by M&m about the new cheaper SCORPIO with M2Di engine.can u guys put some inputs about this engine ?
hi nbr, cheaper says it all. there are a few other threads existing on this forum. M2Di is already on roads now and it is to target the tourist cabbies and those who want a NEW Scorpio in lesser price. a good 2nd hand CRDe makes more sense in this case too.
Old 16th May 2007, 17:14   #27
BHPian

gbpscars, Welcome to the world of SUV's. However you might have to stretch your budget - and I mean really stretch it. I recently sold my leaf spring - non CRDe Scorpio, 3 years old with 65,000 on the clock for 5.20. It was kept well inpite of me having it used t for 2 himalayan rallies. My jeep had the SZ engine, which was an improvement over the engine which they had launched the Scorpio with. So I dont know if you will find anything in your budget. And at he end of the day, remeber it's an SUV. Apart from the performance (which I have noted you are not looking for), you might be a little dissapointed with the refinement levels.

Keep us posted.
Old 16th May 2007, 20:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I recently sold my leaf spring - non CRDe Scorpio, 3 years old with 65,000 on the clock for 5.20.
Thanks for your welcome note Sideways. I will join the SUV club soon.

Scorpios, I have seen have quite a high "resale value", or atleast that is what it is called in the market parlance. My neighbour sold his 2003 non-CRDe with 94000 on the odo for 4.3 lacs!!

But, I'm inclined a bit towards a Safari. In fact I have already begun my hunt and have booked 3 appointments on Sunday for Safaris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Apart from the performance (which I have noted you are not looking for), you might be a little dissapointed with the refinement levels.

Keep us posted.

No worries on that one, I have tried a Maruti Gypsy 4x4, Tempo Gurkha, Toyota Prado and an Isuzu Trooper all at some point in my life (of course all borrowed ). I know I cant expect both refinement and performance at the price I'm looking for.

Last edited by gbpscars : 16th May 2007 at 20:52.
Old 17th May 2007, 09:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Fiat Adventure fits your bill perfectly!
And Fiat Service at Mumbai is decent too!

Go for a Test drive ASAP.....!
I agree with Finney here.... the adventure suits your psecs and requirements pretty well. Since you are in the market for a used car, you will get a used adventure at rock bottom price. That 1.6 L engine is quite rugged and bullet proof so you should not have any engine woes at least, on a decently maintained car.

For a while, there was a diesel adventure available as well- see if you can lay your hands on one of those!
Old 18th May 2007, 04:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Guys..with all due respect.. He has mentioned that he does not want a sedan.. He is looking for an SUV.. either a Scorpio or a Safari.. Lets stick to that shall we

@gbp.. Test drive both the vehicles and see what suits you better.

Godfather

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks