Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2007, 11:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Evaluating Suv's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
Thanks for your welcome note Sideways. I will join the SUV club soon................

But, I'm inclined a bit towards a Safari. In fact I have already begun my hunt and have booked 3 appointments on Sunday for Safaris.

No worries on that one, I have tried a Maruti Gypsy 4x4, Tempo Gurkha, Toyota Prado and an Isuzu Trooper all at some point in my life (of course all borrowed ). I know I cant expect both refinement and performance at the price I'm looking for.
Hai gboscars,

I'm love this thread, I'm in the same boat, evaluating between Dicor and Scorpio. Only, I have to go for the new one. Will test drive both this Sunday and take a decision. The odds are stacking for the Scorpio day-by-day from all angles. It would cost me about 9L on the road here in Ahmedabad for a Crde. I will also have to settle down for less refinement; I have a Fusion which I plan to dispose off if I get decent resale.

==Ramky

-----------------
Old 18th May 2007, 15:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
I'm love this thread, I'm in the same boat, evaluating between Dicor and Scorpio.

that's wonderful Ramky, do all the test drives, but when it comes to the way a comfort SUV should look, it is the Safari that wins in the Indian mfrs. sector.

it always looked good, except for the 1948CC engine in the TCIC.

but, the DICOR will be surely great to own.
Old 18th May 2007, 16:50   #33
VMG
BHPian

Go for Scorpio!
Less maintenance, great looks and good milage (around 11 city + highway) and 13+ highways.
Great car and I love it.
Old 18th May 2007, 22:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Go for Scorpio!
Less maintenance, great looks and good milage (around 11 city + highway) and 13+ highways.
Great car and I love it.

Hahahahahahahahahaa...
I get 12 with A/C in city and close to 15 on Highway on the Dicor.

Godfather
Old 22nd May 2007, 14:20   #35
BHPian

Couldnt manage enough hunting last weekend. cut short by calls n calls and had to be back at office.

Saw 2 Safaris. 1 in very bad condition than what I was told. I almost ruffled the dealer. The other one was good but it had 95000 kms on the odo!!!

Hey guys,... how much on the odo do you think is safe for a 2nd hand buy for a Safari?

And then,.. missed my appointment with a model that may stir some hearts,... 2003 Safari EX 4x4, Limited Edition, Navy Blue, 70000 kms on the odo, maintained as per Tata manual specifications!!, and the pics sent to me by mail showed a great maintenance indeed. Got a message on Sunday night that the car is sold. The asking price was 3.8 lacs.

Was that Safari anyone's on this forum???

Ok,... Thanks to all who adviced me,... In dreams I'm still stuck with a Safari,... wont change,... but work beckons me to the world's fashion capital - Paris - for a month

Will have to continue my search once am back. Until then,... will continue my quick 0-100s in a VTEC.

I promise to keep you all updated
Old 22nd May 2007, 14:51   #36
Team-BHP Support

There is no safe odo.
Take a mechanic whom you trust and let him check out the car.
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:22   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Couldnt manage enough hunting last weekend. cut short by calls n calls and had to be back at office.

Saw 2 Safaris. 1 in very bad condition than what I was told. I almost ruffled the dealer. The other one was good but it had 95000 kms on the odo!!!

Hey guys,... how much on the odo do you think is safe for a 2nd hand buy for a Safari?

And then,.. missed my appointment with a model that may stir some hearts,... 2003 Safari EX 4x4, Limited Edition, Navy Blue, 70000 kms on the odo, maintained as per Tata manual specifications!!, and the pics sent to me by mail showed a great maintenance indeed. Got a message on Sunday night that the car is sold. The asking price was 3.8 lacs.

Was that Safari anyone's on this forum???

Ok,... Thanks to all who adviced me,... In dreams I'm still stuck with a Safari,... wont change,... but work beckons me to the world's fashion capital - Paris - for a month

Will have to continue my search once am back. Until then,... will continue my quick 0-100s in a VTEC.

I promise to keep you all updated
gpscars,

3.8 L was way too high for a 2003 safari with 70 K on the odo..even though it might have been a limited edition. 2 months ago there was a sept 2004 Safari LX (done 60 K) with alloys, leather, CD player, bullbar, sidesteps, etc for sale for 3.6L at carwale.com.

You should easily be able to get a 04 Ex done about 45K within your budget of 4.0 L..so just have some patience and keep that search going on.

~A

Last edited by adityapd : 22nd May 2007 at 19:24.
Old 31st July 2007, 22:18   #38
BHPian

Scorpio REV 116?

hi all,

am back to India, and back to TBHP after a lot of confusing times testing a bunch of Safaris.

one, as many said, the old TCIC seems sluggish (it is not my complaint, I completely understand its abilities) and the other,... I never found a well kept Safari yet, forget the 2 good-looking ones that I saw there was something fishy about them both.

meanwhile,... though it migh sound odd,... what is anyone's opinion about a Scorpio REV 116 (dont call me nuts), just give me your true opinion. GTO and few others had adviced seriously against it in another thread. any different perspectives and explanations?

any long time owners around?

P.S.: STEEROID,...Yes I'm still hunting , though I had told you about remaining with my VTEC 2 weeks before.

Last edited by gbpscars : 31st July 2007 at 22:22.
Old 1st August 2007, 10:04   #39
BHPian

anybody on my question about the Scorpio REV 116 please?
Old 1st August 2007, 10:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
By rural, I mean unformed roads, roads spoilt by monsoons, something that happens to Roha-Murud after 2 months of rains, where I would not think of driving anything more than 20 kmph with my OHC and can instead move at 50 kmph with one of these biggies.
I am wondering have you ever experienced the drive in Scorpio on such bad stretches of road? Ofcourse SUVs can go at 50 KMPh on those bad stretches of road, but what about the people inside the car? I've been on bad stretches of the road in scorpio & believe me the roll & bumpy ride makes me wonder what exactly is the use of SUVs? Other cars (OHC or likes) will have a smoother ride, although you may have to drive carefully. Finally it is a call between ride comfort (OHC) v/s speed (Scorpio) on these bad roads.
Old 1st August 2007, 11:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Finally it is a call between ride comfort (OHC) v/s speed (Scorpio) on these bad roads.
Or.......ride comfort (OHC) vs speed & major ride comfort (Safari) on these bad roads
Old 1st August 2007, 11:22   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Or.......ride comfort (OHC) vs speed & major ride comfort (Safari) on these bad roads
I've not experienced the ride in Safari. May be it is better than scorpio.
Old 1st August 2007, 13:11   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Please avoid the Scorpio petrol like a plague! These arent my words but that of a Mahindra senior service engineer.
Old 1st August 2007, 14:29   #44
BHPian

M2di

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
saw an ad by M&m about the new cheaper SCORPIO with M2Di engine.can u guys put some inputs about this engine ?

The M2di has taken quite a bashing here and in the other two threads which were merged by the MODS.

But has anyone here actually driven it. It would be a revelation to hear what someone used to a diesel, would have to say about its actual (Not on paper) performance.

Some vehicles excel at what they were intended, is this one such case ?
Yup,.with 70 somthing bhp, no one in the right mind would try and launch it with gusto,...but if crusing at sedate speeds, and low speed drivability (20-60 slog) is okay then why beat on Mahindra launching the scorpio with the M2Di.

I want to hear from the biggies on this forum on this one!!!!
Old 1st August 2007, 19:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi all,

am I never found a well kept Safari yet, forget the 2 good-looking ones that I saw there was something fishy about them both.

meanwhile,... though it migh sound odd,... what is anyone's opinion about a Scorpio REV 116 (dont call me nuts), just give me your true opinion. GTO and few others had adviced seriously against it in another thread. any different perspectives and explanations?

any long time owners around?

P.S.: STEEROID,...Yes I'm still hunting , though I had told you about remaining with my VTEC 2 weeks before.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...r-lx-sale.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks