Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2021, 15:30   #31

Re: Family man's dilemma for an automatic crossover | Hassle-free, safe & AT

Test drive Renault duster turbo CVT 1.3litre RXZ.
Old 7th November 2021, 09:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
Since you are keen on keeping your current cars for now, I would recommend you to look at Nexon EV. It's very quick, seat 5 people comfortably, will prove to be a lot economical in city driving and future expenses will be quite less compared to petrol or diesel automatics. At least take a test drive to find out more. Unless you are travelling more than 200 kms, you can also take it on highway trips as well.
My drive pattern is 70:30 in favor of highways. EV at this point in time will be a challenge with scattered charging ecosystem. I love Nexon as a product and had it not been for AMTs, would have bought it almost couple of years back.
Old 7th November 2021, 10:34   #33
BHPian

Any reason for not considering Brezza ? It comes with TC gearbox.
Shreeniwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 22:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
What should I do? Make the purchase and take leap of faith OR sit on the fence.
Very well written. I have the exact same dilemma. Have been looking at cars since about 7-8 months. Nothing fits the bill. Seltos came very close but that crash rating was just too bad. Even a four star would have been great. But it's barely a 3 star, essentially 2 star.

Brezza is the one that has everything I want. The only problem as has been pointed out is the 4 speed AT I would suggest wait for the Brezza update with 6AT if it's not urgent. I have a feeling it's going to be my next Car.
Pras92003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 09:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Let me just put the requirements in chronological order of importance:
  • Peace of Mind
  • Safety
  • High Seated
  • Automatic (should not be AMT)
Cars in Auto trims rejected:
  • Maruti Ciaz / Honda City - Too LOW
My two cents. I would still consider Honda City. It will satisfy three of the first four criteria - Peace of Mind, Safety (though not crash tested) and Automatic (CVT).

You will be compromising on High Seated but it is third in your chronological list. I own a Yaris and still do not feel the need for high seat position while driving in the highway. In fact, I feel more confident in Yaris at high speeds and tackling corners.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 10:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
You will be compromising on High Seated but it is third in your chronological list. I own a Yaris and still do not feel the need for high seat position while driving in the highway. In fact, I feel more confident in Yaris at high speeds and tackling corners.
I have followed your journey with Yaris Simhi. 3 years back, I withheld myself from purchasing it for being a size small and a little bland vis a vis the money being asked. And trust me, I didn't know what lied ahead.

Yaris is not sunk in similar to how Dzire type1 is. It's at a decent height. The new City definitely is. With me having a slightly bad back and entering into 40s now, a low seated car will be a hard decision. My current daily drive is Ritz. The part of Gurgaon where we frequent will be tricky on City as well. The good part is a 4 cylinder engine mated to CVT which makes the life a bit easier.

I saw Latheesh opting for City over Kushaq with same reasons. I will keep City as a backup option alongside Sonet, if everything else fails.
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:46   #37
BHPian

Since peace of mind is your first priority, it has to be a Maruti or a Toyota.
My suggestion is the Breeza or the Urban Cruiser.
It satisfies all of your requirements and still saves you a couple of lakhs.
The torque assist function in the smart hybrid model makes up for the outdated 4AT. (not at high speeds though)
Moreover, with Maruti; outdated tech means additional peace of mind, as they would have refined it using feedback from literally lakhs of customers.
PS: I feel the Breeza looks better with the Toyota logo than the Suzuki

Surprisingly, Maruti website lists Breeza as 5AT and XL6 as 4AT. Does it mean Breeza has a better T/M?

Sorry for the back to back posts, as I missed adding attachments.

Family man's dilemma for an automatic crossover | Hassle-free, safe & AT-breeza-screenshot-20211108-170522.jpg

Family man's dilemma for an automatic crossover | Hassle-free, safe & AT-xl6-screenshot-20211108-170415.jpg

Last edited by Eddy : 13th November 2021 at 23:40. Reason: Merged
shrinz.vivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 17:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinz.vivek View Post
Surprisingly, Maruti website lists Breeza as 5AT and XL6 as 4AT. Does it mean Breeza has a better T/M?
On the Brezza brochure (pdf or digital), it lists transmission type as 4AT.
Old 9th November 2021, 19:59   #39
BHPian

It is really difficult to get a car which meets everything you have mentioned in the 10-20 lakh range. My suggestion is to decide on what to compromise and find out what you really need out of everything. This is my thought after wasting 2 years waiting for the perfect car.

I was dead set on buying Seltos until the crash tests came out. My requirement is similar to yours with Safety and Peace of Mind as top contenders. I am not really a fan of most of the existing 6 speed torque convertors either.

After considering everything I am now looking at Hyundai Tucson(8 speed gearbox is not perfect, but it is pretty good) since it is a CKD. I really wanted something smaller though. I would have gone with Kushaq/Taigun if they were crash tested considering the way DSG gearbox is performing. I am quite a bit concerned about the EPC failures in Kushaq too.
moongazer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 22:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Although I live in NCR, but I can consider either fuel for this purchase if there is a strong reason. 1.5 D with Torque Converter is only in the picture because it is match made in heaven.
Hello. I test drove both Sonet GTX DAT and Seltos DAT today.

Bottom line - someone who was 90% ready to plough money into Nexon DAT has just booked a Sonet GTX+ DAT. The drive was like driving a 100 degree hot knife through pure butter. Having owned 4 Hyundai's in the family, I can safely trust that their parts won't wear out any soon
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 21:12   #41
BHPian

@headbanger What did you finally end up with?

I'm also having the same confusion, whether to go for Sonet Diesel AT or is Seltos really worth putting additional 6-7L?
Old 28th August 2022, 05:30   #42
BANNED

Automatic car under 15 lakhs to replace my 5-year old Renault Kwid AMT

Hello Team-BHPians!. It's such an honor to be part of this wonderful community!. This is my first post on the forum and I would like to make all you a part of my decision making process to help me find my next car. I am in the market searching for an automatic car under 15 lakhs to replace my 5 year old Renault Kwid RXT AMT.

Introduction
I am a Chartered accountant by profession living in Thrissur, Kerala. I have a family of 4 which includes me, my mother, my sister and my father. We bought the Kwid in 2017 so that my mother and sister could be comfortable with a small city runabout. Now, After the passage of more than 5-years, the itch to upgrade caught up on me.

Requirements
  1. We are looking for an automatic Car, preferably an SUV due to the ground clearance on offer, as the roads in our area are always filled with potholes most of the time.
  2. It should not be an AMT, having driven the Kwid for more than 5-years, I would love to do away with the jerkiness and head-nod of an AMT. Any other form of automatic transmission, be it CVT, DCT, or Torque Converter would be fine.
  3. Budget is limited to 13 lakhs ex-showroom or 15 lakhs on the road in Kerala. I can't stretch any further.
  4. Reasonable space on offer to seat 4 members. By the way we are all under 165 cm, so most cars would be spacious enough.
  5. Reverse Camera and Alloy Wheels are a must. Hill-Hold control would be a requirement as well. Rear AC Vents would be nice to have too, although not a priority.
  6. Preferably a 4-cylinder engine and with engine capacity greater than 1000cc. I am quite skeptical of these modern, downsized 3-cylinder 1000cc turbo petrol engines and their long term reliability.
  7. Fuel type is not a concern, petrol or diesel, both are fine. I am not in favor of Electric due to the sparsity of charging stations in my district and range anxiety.
  8. Having driven the Kwid, which was great on mileage, a car with superior mileage would be great to have. I considered diesels as an option mainly due to the mileage and the amount of power and torque they produce which the Kwid seriously lacked.
  9. Long term reliability is a must and good After-sales service would be an added advantage because we want to hold on to it for as long as possible, this would be our last ICE car. we plan to move on to electric after this one.
  10. Safety ratings are not a major matter of concern as long as all active safety features are covered and enough airbags , preferably more than 2 are present .Moreover we are very sedate drivers and tend to drive slow, even on highways, we are the slow driving type.
  11. NVH levels should be well contained and fit and finish should be great too. I prefer a quiet and relaxed driving experience and the car should be a nice place to be in.

I am sorry for the long post! I wanted to make my requirements as clear as possible. Feel free to reply as all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
Old 28th August 2022, 20:00   #43
BHPian

Re: Automatic car under 15 lakhs to replace my 5-year old Renault Kwid AMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsiva View Post
Requirements
  1. We are looking for an automatic Car, preferably an SUV due to the ground clearance on offer, as the roads in our area are always filled with potholes most of the time.
  2. It should not be an AMT, having driven the Kwid for more than 5-years, I would love to do away with the jerkiness and head-nod of an AMT. Any other form of automatic transmission, be it CVT, DCT, or Torque Converter would be fine.
  3. Budget is limited to 13 lakhs ex-showroom or 15 lakhs on the road in Kerala. I can't stretch any further.
  4. Reasonable space on offer to seat 4 members. By the way we are all under 165 cm, so most cars would be spacious enough.
  5. Reverse Camera and Alloy Wheels are a must. Hill-Hold control would be a requirement as well. Rear AC Vents would be nice to have too, although not a priority.
  6. Preferably a 4-cylinder engine and with engine capacity greater than 1000cc. I am quite skeptical of these modern, downsized 3-cylinder 1000cc turbo petrol engines and their long term reliability.
  7. Fuel type is not a concern, petrol or diesel, both are fine. I am not in favor of Electric due to the sparsity of charging stations in my district and range anxiety.
  8. Having driven the Kwid, which was great on mileage, a car with superior mileage would be great to have. I considered diesels as an option mainly due to the mileage and the amount of power and torque they produce which the Kwid seriously lacked.
  9. Long term reliability is a must and good After-sales service would be an added advantage because we want to hold on to it for as long as possible, this would be our last ICE car. we plan to move on to electric after this one.
  10. Safety ratings are not a major matter of concern as long as all active safety features are covered and enough airbags , preferably more than 2 are present .Moreover we are very sedate drivers and tend to drive slow, even on highways, we are the slow driving type.
  11. NVH levels should be well contained and fit and finish should be great too. I prefer a quiet and relaxed driving experience and the car should be a nice place to be in.
All the requirements you posted fits Brezza except >2 airbag need. Both VXI AT and ZXI AT fits your budget. If you stretch your budget, then you can get ZXI+ AT with 6 airbags.

With 4 or 6 airbags, you could look for new Renault Kiger, Hyundai Venue or Kia Sonet, but all of them are with Turbo. And Venue/Sonet comes with unreliable DCT too.
Old 28th August 2022, 20:16   #44
BANNED

Re: Automatic car under 15 lakhs to replace my 5-year old Renault Kwid AMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivision View Post
All the requirements you posted fits Brezza except >2 airbag need. Both VXI AT and ZXI AT fits your budget. If you stretch your budget, then you can get ZXI+ AT with 6 airbags.

With 4 or 6 airbags, you could look for new Renault Kiger, Hyundai Venue or Kia Sonet, but all of them are with Turbo. And Venue/Sonet comes with unreliable DCT too.
Thank you so much for the reply, and Yes I have considered the Brezza and have viewed it in person too but couldn't get the test drive of the automatic yet. I
Really want to know how the new 6 speed AT is.
I have test driven the Kiger CVT as well and although it felt great value for money, the abundance of parts shared with the Kwid put me off.
The Hyundai venue and the Kia Sonet felt the best as regards fit and finish and quality of the cabin were concerned. The DCT as you had mentioned was the only major gripe.
The Kia sonet diesel automatic felt to be a good option against the DCT.
Every option seems to have one or more compromises. The dilemma just gets bigger and bigger.
Old 28th August 2022, 22:47   #45
BHPian

I am in same boat as you now, and have been in same dilemma for last 8 months, so I could relate to your exploration and could share what I planned myself. My requirements also kind of matches yours, only some optional vs must-have differences.

I started TD of Maruti/Hyundai AMTs and soon discarded them.
Old Brezza/Urban Cruiser lacks lot of safety features including Hill hold control, so couldn't go for it. I kept away from DCT and also diesel cars. So I almost decided to go for Nissan Magnite, but delayed my purchase as 6 airbag requirement was announced in Jan.
Ruled out Magnite after expert BHPian's inputs, and with no news of 6 airbags mandate coming to cars anytime soon, I am tentatively closing on between Brezza ZXI+ AT and Grand Vitara Zeta - both offers 6 airbags. Waiting for Zeta price release now, then based on price difference and value for money of differentiating features, will pick one. For me, GV Zeta is safer than Brezza ZXI, as it does not come with a sunroof.
If Ford didn't close business in India, an Ecosport would have been parked in my parking lot by now which had proper AT (TC), all the safety features and 6 airbags too. An used Ecosport is also an option, if you are open to used cars. I am not too confident on used car's quality, so not going for it.
bivision is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks