Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2021, 17:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Which car around 40 ex-showroom Budget?

Trust me, check out the new Gloster. Ignore the fact that it’s an MG, ignore the rear quad exhausts.
What you’ll see remaining is a great, vfm feature rich package.
You do need a full size car in your life for the family!
Old 31st December 2021, 15:52   #32
BHPian

Re: Which car around 40 ex-showroom Budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuentinTino View Post
Trust me, check out the new Gloster. Ignore the fact that it’s an MG, ignore the rear quad exhausts.
What you’ll see remaining is a great, vfm feature rich package.
You do need a full size car in your life for the family!
I do like the interiors but the size is too big for us to be honest (49xx mm)

Update for everyone:
So lots has happened over this month. We are looking at various segments and various brands. Ofcourse once you visit showrooms, your budget increases. We are keeping a limit of 60L after looking at the 30-40L segment (and the lack of options for our use).

We have also decided to focus on a car for the highway trips and occasional city use. We figured that the Leh/Ladakh plans are once in a few years and w should stick to finding a car for our primary use, which is regular highway runs, home-office (city) and city driving.

We visited the BMW and Volvo showrooms in the hope of checking out the various vehicles (X1, X3, XC40 and XC60) and have come back still looking for a SUV.
1). X1/XC40: Have realized that the rear seat comfort on offer in these cars isn't what we are looking for. We are fine with the legroom, however the seats (thigh support etc.) isn't upto the mark for both of them. I am
guessing this will be an issue with any car of this size.

2). X3: This is out of stock and pending a facelift in January.

3). XC60: We test drove this and it stole my Dads heart.
The dealership had no XC40's to show their potential customers and had just 1 (test drive+showroom) XC60. Talk about shortage !
XC60 oozes luxury and comes with all the features (we don't care about that much). Did find the steering extremely light (din't like it much).
However the sales person quoted 75L : (incl. service package, extended warranty) and we will be subjected to the new price (1.6L increase in ex-showroom). He is ready to bear half of that cost to hit his sales figure for the year. The final offer given to us was about 72L (without the extended warranty) but this is extending way beyond our budget of 60L.

4). Compass/Tiguan/Tucson/C5: These were rejected due to various reasons.

5). Q5/GLC: I think we might have to take a look at the Q5 now. But honestly we would only like to go for it if the discounts make it VFM. We don't really prefer the GLC, so that is out of the equation as well.

With our budget and priority in terms of safety in mind, I think Kodiaq (unless Q5 gets insane discounts) is going to be the only vehicle that makes sense. We arn't even able to find a low run second hand luxury SUV .

Mods: If this needs in anyway to be shifted to the other "What Car?" sub-forum, please do that.

Last edited by kartavya : 31st December 2021 at 15:55. Reason: wanted to bold the sub headings
Old 2nd January 2022, 18:13   #33

Which car for upgrading?

Hello BHPians!

This is my first post on Team-BHP and will keep it precise. I am looking to upgrade my car this year, first quarter of 2022, to the next segment. Currently, I own a Hyundai Creta (1.6 SX, Diesel), Jeep Compass (Longitude) and Renault Kwid (AMT, RXT) and for a good part of last year we were thinking of upgrading ourselves to the next level. In all likelihood, we will be off-loading the Compass.

The intended usage: Bi-monthly trip to our home town in Kerala from Bangalore and fuel category does not particularly matter. We are a family of four.

Cars that we are considering:

1 Mercedes Benz -- GLA

2 BMW X1 (2022)

3 Audi Q3 (2022)

4 Hyundai Tuscon (2022)

5 Citroen C5 Aircross

Reasons

1. GLA: It has looks, luxury and features. The GLA has peppy 190 BHP diesel engine.

2. X1: Heard a lot about its driving dynamics and fun to drive nature. Hopefully, BMW will add some more features in the facelift this year, making it a more wholesome package.

3. Q3: Though we haven't heard anything concrete about its India launch, a couple of friends abroad have offered some good words. It has a superb digital cockpit system (found in A4 and above here I think), and apparently Audi might offer it with a 220/230 bhp petrol engine. It could be one hell of a fun to drive.

4. Tuscon: The 180 BHP, 400 NM diesel engine is a gem. It has a good insulation too. Read somewhere that Hyundai might offer it with tech packs like ADAS and looked pretty good on design front too. We loved the front fascia and of course Hyundai offers fuss-free ownership.

5. C5: The Dark Horse. It apparently offers brilliant ride and has good, useful features with an adequate engine. It also gives whole new design language as well. The French firm's sparse networks and it being a new entrant to the market are the only factors that are pulling us away from it.
Old 9th January 2022, 15:01   #34
BHPian

Ford Endeavour replacement - Comfortable, powerful, high ground clearance for 30 lakhs Ex-Showroom

Currently, I own a Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium and as per the Company policy, I have to go for a new Car in February 2022. Endeavour 3.2 was a hoot to drive and if Ford had continued in India, I would have gone for the same! As it is no longer available, I am looking for the alternatives:

My requirements:
1) Car should be fun-to-drive, Comfortable, powerful AT with good ground clearance. I will be the one driving it. Even though I do no off-roading, would like the Car to handle broken roads with aplomb.
2) Needs to have a good resale value as I can keep the new Car for 44 months only as per Company policy
3) It has to be spacious but can be a 5 or 7 seater in the range of 30 lakhs ex-show room price. (I don’t have requirement for 5+ passengers but don’t mind the 7 seater option)
4) Should be able to get the car in 2-3 months when I book it in March 2022.

Options in the reckoning
1) Innova Crysta AT 2.4 Z – I guess this is the most logical choice. My grouse is that it is not so fun to drive, steering is hard at slow speeds and has bare minimum features. It would have great if Toyota had provided some features like ventilated seats, improved AUDIO system in 2022!
2) Hyundai Tucson AWD AT – I guess it is an allrounder and had liked this the second best when I had done the test drive 4 years ago and then ultimately bought Ford Endeavour. My grouse is that it is the same car as what was 4 years ago with aged interiors and in its lifecycle end stage which I might significantly affect the re-sale value. There is no clear information on the launch of the new generation Tucson in India either in which case I would have strongly considered this option.
3) Tata Safari XZA+ Gold – Might be a significant downgrade compared to Endeavour, Yet to test drive it but reviews looks exciting and has some useful features like Ventilated seats etc. Would love to hear your feedback.

Other Options considered
1) XUV AT – Best VFM but can’t afford the insane waiting period. Hence, ruled out.
2) Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT – Might be the best replacement for Ford Endeavour 3.2. But I had test driven Fortuner when I bought Endeavour 4 years ago and did not like the bumpy ride and bare minimum features. Even though Fortuner is vastly improved now in terms of power, features etc., the bumpy ride and 39+ lakh ex-show room price are the deal breakers for me. Fortuner re-sale value is good but still might not make up for the significant upfront increased price that I need to pay compared to the other options.
3) Compass Model S AT – Could be fun drive but is compact and might not fetch a good resale price after 44 months

So folks what do you think might be the best option for me? Please let me know.
Acelerar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 15:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour replacement - Comfortable, powerful, high ground clearance for 30 lakhs Ex-Showro

Is there any way that would allow you to continue with your Endeavour? I've just realised how overly good the Endeavour is and how difficult it is to replace it with anything before crossing the 50-60L bracket. If you can, it's highly recommended from my side to continue with it. The Endeavour was a decently popular model which should make spares easily available in India and worldwide.

If you have to replace the Endeavour anyhow:

1. The Fortuner isn't worth replacing it with. The ride is still bumpy as per most BHPians.
2. Tucson is a viable option. It's a lot of car for a reasonable amount of money. We've got a facelift one in the society and it never looks out of place in this current crop of SUVs. I actually prefer this gen. over the next-gen car. I'm expecting discounts to be pretty large considering that the 4th gen is not too far away now.
3. The Compass, although very over-priced for what it is, is actually one of the few cars that actually has everything that you want and is still updated pretty recently.
4. Go for any of the Germans or get a Skoda Superb or Audi A4 (the prices are somewhat mouth-watering, would actually think about them if you can skip the off-roading part)

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, MS, T-Fort, ANHV, Endy, JC) when referring to cars or their makers. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by Sheel : 9th January 2022 at 16:49. Reason: Mod note attached.
akash_v12 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 16:39   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour replacement - Comfortable, powerful, high ground clearance for 30 lakhs Ex-Showro

As Akash pointed out, the Endeavour is a brilliant vehicle and finding an upgrade may not be as easy. If there is an option to retain the Endeavour and upgrade later with a higher budget: would be worth considering.

If that isn't an option, best bet is to look for sedan alternatives like the Superb / A4 or explore the Tucson / Tiguan.
From 4 years ago, the Tucson has updated interiors, added some equipment including AWD and panoramic sunroof, and also got a new 8 speed gearbox. Though not segment leading, at the price point and overall package on offer: it's a good buy.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, MS, T-Fort, ANHV, Endy, JC) when referring to cars or their makers. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by Sheel : 9th January 2022 at 16:49. Reason: Mod note attached.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 17:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
As Akash pointed out, the Endeavour is a brilliant vehicle and finding an upgrade may not be as easy....
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Is there any way that would allow you to continue with your Endeavour? I've just realised how overly good the Endeavour is and how difficult it is to replace it with anything before crossing the 50-60L bracket.
Thank you Akash and Lamborghini for your feedback! Endeavour is a tough car to replace; unfortunately I will not be able to retain the car.

I am reluctant to go for sedans like Superb or Audi A4 as I have been driving SUVs for past 9 years and love the experience of not being bothered about broken roads.

From your response, I take that Tucson or the Compass are the worthy options to consider! As I mentioned, resale value is important as I can retain car for 44 months according to company policy. Do you think that Compass Model S would have a decent resale value considering spares are expensive and resale market might be limited to enthusiasts only?

Last edited by Acelerar : 9th January 2022 at 18:02.
Acelerar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 18:49   #38
BHPian

Re: Looking for a comfortable 5-seater SUV/Crossover for 40-lakhs OTR

Why not the upcoming Kodiaq? I assume 30 lacs is not a hard limit given you have considered the Fortuner.

Compared to the others in the shortlist only Kodiaq would feel as a replacement or even an upgrade.
anandhsub is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 07:49   #39
BHPian

At 30 lakhs, your option has to clearly be among the Innova Crysta, Safari, and the Tucson. Your criteria of comfortable seating and high resale value are veering towards the Crysta. This is the sane, rational decision.

I personally think the Safari will give you the best of both worlds. But the ownership experience of a Tata can be quite something.

I own a Tucson and have no doubt it feels the most sophisticated of this trio and is the best car among these options. Period.

But your requirements are a clear case for the Crysta.
Pyrotek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 09:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelerar View Post

I am reluctant to go for sedans like Superb or Audi A4 as I have been driving SUVs for past 9 years and love the experience of not being bothered about broken roads.

As I mentioned, resale value is important as I can retain car for 44 months according to company policy.
If these two are non negotiable criteria, the Toyota Hilux may be worth considering. It's only if you're okay with the form factor of a lifestyle pick up truck. Another option is Isuzu MUX which has recently gone through a price cut, contrary to the trend.

The Tucson or even Kodiaq won't be as worthy a replacement to your Endeavour if you want them to be driven like the Ford behemoth. Both are soft roader SUVs that would still need a bit of care while tackling broken roads. I'm sure you know this.

Good luck on your hunt.

cheers,
bibendum.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 15th January 2022 at 09:19.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 10:19   #41
BHPian

Tuscon is too old now. Not worth spending 30+ on it.

I would suggest the Tata Safari (particularly the upcoming Dark Edition), Jeep Compass S, or Kodiaq. It comes with most of the bells and whistles you need. It is not a soft-roader like Tuscon. You might take a small hit on the resale. Innova might have the highest resale, but it's still an MPV.

Just think that you spent 3/4L for that driving experience when considering the resale value. To think of it, when you brought Ford Endeavor you would not have thought that Ford will close its shop and it will hit your resale. But, you still have enjoyed Ford Endeavor.
shashi792 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 11:15   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Currently, I own a Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium and as per the Company policy, I have to go for a new Car in February 2022. Endeavour 3.2 was a hoot to drive and if Ford had continued in India, I would have gone for the same! As it is no longer available, I am looking for the alternatives:
Going against the tide here

I would suggest the Fortuner 4X2 AT, is more expensive than 30L ex-showroom, but 44 months later it’s guaranteed to give you back that extra money you put in!

I’ll tell you something very honestly, once you’ve owned a high riding car like the Endeavour, anything smaller or lower in height will always feel like a downgrade. Fortuner has almost the same ride height you won’t miss the big car feeling. And among the competition it’s the best in space in all 3 rows except the Gloster. Ride quality has improved a lot compared to the pre-facelift model even the NVH. Ride quality is not in the same league as an Innova for sure but carry more speed over the bumps and it’ll smother them. And the 4X2 AT gets 17 inch rims that will help the cause further.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 15th January 2022 at 11:23.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 12:02   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

My requirements:
1) Car should be fun-to-drive, Comfortable, powerful AT with good ground clearance. I will be the one driving it. Even though I do no off-roading, would like the Car to handle broken roads with aplomb.
2) Needs to have a good resale value as I can keep the new Car for 44 months only as per Company policy
3) It has to be spacious but can be a 5 or 7 seater in the range of 30 lakhs ex-show room price. (I don’t have requirement for 5+ passengers but don’t mind the 7 seater option)
4) Should be able to get the car in 2-3 months when I book it in March 2022.

I think the Alturas G4 would have fulfilled all your requirement apart from the resale bit. It would not seem like a downgrade from the Endeavour too (the interior would actually be an upgrade). The performance equals the 3.2 too (something which a new Fortuner might be a bit better in).
sierrabravo98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 12:11   #44
BHPian

Hi Acelerar,

As some one who recently bought a Tucson, i can assure you that after an Endeavour, it would feel smaller and lower. The Jeep compass is even smaller than a Tucson and would feel way too cramped.

If you are ok with the size, then there is nothing wrong with the Tucson, people say its old but it really has every feature you need. The 2020 version is not exciting but its functional.

The engine and gearbox combination is brilliant, i would say better than most other cars. I found it to be better even than the endeavour 2.0. The car is reliable too.

I would suggest a test drive before writing it off. However, its unlikely that you would find anything apart from the Fortuner acceptable.

The gloster is super premium but i found the engine and gearbox quite bad. Do check that out too.
AP_1812 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 13:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Options in the reckoning
1) Innova Crysta AT 2.4 Z – I guess this is the most logical choice. My grouse is that it is not so fun to drive, steering is hard at slow speeds and has bare minimum features. It would have great if Toyota had provided some features like ventilated seats, improved AUDIO system in 2022!
2) Hyundai Tucson AWD AT – I guess it is an allrounder and had liked this the second best when I had done the test drive 4 years ago and then ultimately bought Ford Endeavour. My grouse is that it is the same car as what was 4 years ago with aged interiors and in its lifecycle end stage which I might significantly affect the re-sale value. There is no clear information on the launch of the new generation Tucson in India either in which case I would have strongly considered this option.
3) Tata Safari XZA+ Gold – Might be a significant downgrade compared to Endeavour, Yet to test drive it but reviews looks exciting and has some useful features like Ventilated seats etc. Would love to hear your feedback.

Other Options considered
1) XUV AT – Best VFM but can’t afford the insane waiting period. Hence, ruled out.
2) Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT – Might be the best replacement for Ford Endeavour 3.2. But I had test driven Fortuner when I bought Endeavour 4 years ago and did not like the bumpy ride and bare minimum features. Even though Fortuner is vastly improved now in terms of power, features etc., the bumpy ride and 39+ lakh ex-show room price are the deal breakers for me. Fortuner re-sale value is good but still might not make up for the significant upfront increased price that I need to pay compared to the other options.
3) Compass Model S AT – Could be fun drive but is compact and might not fetch a good resale price after 44 months

From the options you have listed above, Safari gold seems to be the best bet in terms of road presence, features and availability. Second choice from the list would be Innova. The RWD setup almost makes it as competent as an AWD setup. Plus good resale value but the lack of features are a bummer. As you keep your car for a limited time, you can go for Safari gold with extended warranty option for 4th year. You can also take 5th year warranty option if the company reimburses it as it will help you with the resale of the vehicle.

Happy hunting
PowerSpike is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks