Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2021, 12:58   #31
BHPian

Re: Cancelled my Creta booking | Which SUV or Crossover with a budget of 15-23 lakhs?

Get Nissan Kicks 1.5 Petrol. You won't be disappointed.
amitjha086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 13:32   #32
BHPian

Re: Cancelled my Creta booking | Which SUV or Crossover with a budget of 15-23 lakhs?

Sort out the issues with Tata dealers or call Tata customer care to take care of the issues you are facing . By going your requirements for good space inside an comfort , there is no other car then Safari / Harrier which does the job done with a thumping authority .
quattroa4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 15:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Why did you not consider the Kicks or the Duster ?...
Otherwise you have to come one segment lower and compromise on space i.e. higher variants of Venue, Sonet and XUV3OO.
Now that you had asked, Nissan-Renault was not even in the radar for me. No particular reason other than not having enough confidence in their service and support. The sub-4m cars mentioned were not considered for lack of space. (I had taken a test drive of Venue when it was introduced and it was pretty cramped in the back seat!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVK View Post
Congratulations on your booking!
While it may seem like a compromise of sorts, I think it is honestly not a bad choice! ... As for the peace of the mind, both fall into the fill it shut it category. Do note my perspective is from the S-Cross having completed close to 88k kms in 6 years and the Creta having done 16.xx kms in a little more than a year.
That does help. . The decision on S-Cross petrol AT was taken consciously, so I am at peace with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
Get Nissan Kicks 1.5 Petrol. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks for the input, but Nissan-Renault was not in consideration from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
Sort out the issues with Tata dealers or call Tata customer care to take care of the issues you are facing.
I would have certainly done that if finally we hadn't decided not to go for such a large vehicle after the Hector TD.

Thanks to all for sharing your views!
Old 20th October 2021, 16:33   #34
BHPian

Dear asmr,
I am almost in the same situation as you were. The only difference is I have sedans in the mix as well. Currently I am stuck between S Cross Alpha AT and Honda City VX CVT. Honda City has slightly better features including 6 airbags, rear ac vents etc. which is sorely missing in S Cross. These features are important to me as I am upgrading from a Swift. Low ground clearance is the only concern I can now see in a Honda City. Not that I am planning to go off roading but pot holes in Bangalore is a worry while driving sedans. I am wondering if I change the tyre profile to 195/55/R16 instead of stock 185/55/R16, the ground clearance would increase by 5.5 mm.Would that be sufficient to drive around peacefully without worrying about bottom scraping? Hoping to hear some advise.
Many thanks!
ags82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 17:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ags82 View Post
Dear asmr,
I am almost in the same situation as you were. The only difference is I have sedans in the mix as well. Currently I am stuck between S Cross Alpha AT and Honda City VX CVT. Honda City has slightly better features including 6 airbags, rear ac vents etc. which is sorely missing in S Cross. These features are important to me as I am upgrading from a Swift. Low ground clearance is the only concern I can now see in a Honda City. Not that I am planning to go off roading but pot holes in Bangalore is a worry while driving sedans. I am wondering if I change the tyre profile to 195/55/R16 instead of stock 185/55/R16, the ground clearance would increase by 5.5 mm.Would that be sufficient to drive around peacefully without worrying about bottom scraping? Hoping to hear some advise.
Many thanks!
I'd go for the Honda City. Tyre upgrade can be a bit of a sticky issue. I was told in my Honda's case that suspension warranty could be affected. Regarding available CSUVs, how about the VW Tiguan 1.0 Highline in case it fits your budget ? It would be definitely a better buy than the S Cross.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 20th October 2021 at 17:21.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 17:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Not that I am planning to go off roading but pot holes in Bangalore is a worry while driving sedans.
2. I am wondering if I change the tyre profile to 195/55/R16 instead of stock 185/55/R16, the ground clearance would increase by 5.5 mm
3 Would that be sufficient to drive around peacefully without worrying about bottom scraping?
1. They are and if you are worried just get something with good GC.

2. Yes and that would also be dependent on the tyre pressure and load. IMHO you're trying to justify yourself a sedan while trying to convince yourself of the GC
Just get a SUV/Crossover if you're concerned.
Sedans also have the disadvantage of the boot hitting the speed breaker/obstacle after the rear suspension squats. There's no getting away from it. Assuming the City has softer suspension which is comfortable this will be a side effect.

3. Depends on the size of the obstacle is the only answer.
I am a hatchback/sedan person but even I would think about GC as an important factor if the roads around are bad or if I want to travel to other areas keeping some buffer GC.

It's your call in the end but if you generally don't face bad roads in your commute/trips buy the City assuming you like it, else if you're undecided get the S-Cross/SUV.

But do a detailed TD of all cars, with the people who are going to be using the car in the seats they would be, its important.

Last edited by shancz : 20th October 2021 at 17:35. Reason: corr
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 17:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I'd go for the Honda City. Tyre upgrade can be a bit of a sticky issue. I was told in my Honda's case that suspension warranty could be affected. Regarding available CSUVs, how about the VW Tiguan 1.0 Highline in case it fits your budget ? It would be definitely a better buy than the S Cross.
I had checked with few Honda dealers. They say tyre profile change does not void any warranty. Did you mean Taigun there? I do have concerns about VAG cost of ownership and besides it is a new product yet to be proven. We know the Kushaq horror stories already.
Old 20th October 2021, 18:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
S-Cross it is, folks! I plan to book the Alpha AT tomorrow.

For all those who took time to help share their views here, and also for those sharing their inputs on the official thread, my sincere thanks!
S Cross is one of the better products from MSIL now, but I do have some queries, as you are diverting from Creta you will miss many of the features that the latter provides (Mainly Sunroof for the Kids). As you intend to keep your car in the long run, you may feel bad about this. Then, The S Cross Facelift is also around the corner, you may feel bad seeing that in the initial period of your ownership itself. (But if the Facelift SCross is based on the Heartect Platform, it would be a win for you)
IMO If you intend to keep your car for 8+ years, then go for the next segment.
DevSunit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 19:53   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
1. They are and if you are worried just get something with good GC.

2. Yes and that would also be dependent on the tyre pressure and load. IMHO you're trying to justify yourself a sedan while trying to convince yourself of the GC
You are absolutely right on all the points! I am back to the drawing board

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th October 2021 at 22:26. Reason: broken quote tags
ags82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 20:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are absolutely right on all the points! I am back to the drawing board
TDs will give much better clarity. Do your calculations but take detailed TDs, buy whichever you like driving and fits your needs the best.

Good Luck
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 20:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering if I change the tyre profile to 195/55/R16 instead of stock 185/55/R16, the ground clearance would increase by 5.5 mm.Would that be sufficient to drive around peacefully without worrying about bottom scraping? Hoping to hear some advise.
Many thanks!
The tyre upsize wont give you immunity from getting underbody hits on Bangalore's 'Advanced' roads.

You would need the additional spacers on the springs. (Rogerab is the Best)
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 21:05   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Dear asmr,
I am almost in the same situation as you were. The only difference is I have sedans in the mix as well. Currently I am stuck between S Cross Alpha AT and Honda City VX CVT. Honda City has slightly better features including 6 airbags, rear ac vents etc. which is sorely missing in S Cross. .
Many thanks!
Hey there! Given that the rear vents and 6 airbags (plus a few other nifty features) are on your required list, the choice is obvious. You should go for the City but if you need GC as well, just go for a Seltos HTX or a Creta (fair warning - long waiting times) or even the VW/Skoda CSUVs. As for the tyre sizing, People who know better than me on these things have already responded. So, do a test drive on the most commonly used road for your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSunit View Post
S Cross is one of the better products from MSIL now...
IMO If you intend to keep your car for 8+ years, then go for the next segment.
The only thing I would expect my kids to do when in the car is go to sleep. Just kidding. In a couple of years, my eldest will begin to ride shotgun full time on rides. Yes, sunroof, airbags and such are misses, but I am coming from driving a 2006 model Santro. So, really not missing much, I would say. As I mentioned, I did intend to keep my second car for a long time (10+ yrs), yes. But now I am open to either an upgrade or a third car while still having the S-cross.

The facelift did pop up in discussion with the family. However I was posed the question as to how long am I willing to wait for that and in the meantime, there will be other cars popping up as good choices all the time.

In retrospect, all this wouldn't have happened IF I hadn't sold off my Santro and simply renewed it for another 5 yrs in my name, while waiting for the Creta to be delivered. Shouldn't have trusted the dealer's word on delivery time. Absolutely guilty on that front.
asmr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 23:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had checked with few Honda dealers. They say tyre profile change does not void any warranty. Did you mean Taigun there? I do have concerns about VAG cost of ownership and besides it is a new product yet to be proven. We know the Kushaq horror stories already.
Sorry, meant the Taigun. The 1.0 may be a less risky option with the conventional AT gearbox although personally speaking, I never ever had an issue with the DQ200 gearbox on my Polo as I took the typical precautions. One of my close friends here is also actively considering it (he wants to exchange his old Honda City btw) . He has been informed by the dealer that the EPC issues have not come up in the Taigun and even for the Kushaq, they are being actively taken care of. VW cost of ownership is on the higher side normally, but I hear they have some good packages on offer. A Test drive wont do you any harm !

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 20th October 2021 at 23:14.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 02:28   #44

Quote:
Dear BHPians!
The bigger potholes that didn’t show up in the S-Cross were very much felt in this car. The SA who brought the car said it would give 10-11kmpl in the city and 15kmpl on highways. I think it was a bit inflated, having read about it here on the forums.
I purchased Hector Sharp CVT last month, completed 1900KM yesterday. I am getting a mileage of 7-8KMPL in the city and between 9-9.5 on the highways with light foot. Expecting a slight increase post oil change.

The ride is very absorbing on low speeds. But once you pickup pace every movement is felt inside the cabin.
mttraveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 03:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians!
[/list]S-Cross (Alpha AT)
  • What I liked:
  • TD’ed it yesterday. Seating was perfect. I could get in the back seat with driver’s seat set to my comfortable position and still have enough space at Knees. A 6-7Km drive within small lanes and then on normal city roads was very good. Potholes or dug up patches in the road that usually showed up as jarring impact on my back in the Santro were not even felt much. I didn’t ‘feel’ the size of the vehicle (4.3m long) when driving it. Luggage space of 350 odd liters seems adequate. It should be able to fit 1 large suitcase (check in baggage size on aircrafts) with 2 smaller ones (cabin luggage size) and a few assorted bags. Hope I am not too wrong on that judgement. There is no loading lip which is a good thing. Seats were very comfortable and got a thumbs up from my wife. Overall fit and finish seemed good.
  • What was concerning:
  • The steering felt extremely tight (heavy?) at standstill, with engine on of course and at low speeds, even more than my old Santro. Is that normal or something of a defect in the test drive vehicle? The dealership guy didn’t have a good answer. Also, with low AC fan speed and no music inside the cabin, I could hear the vehicles outside, especially an autorickshaw that was, say 10 meters, in front of the S-Cross. To be fair, the autorickshaw engine was louder than usual. Another concern is that getting inside the car, especially in the back seat felt like really getting “inside and down”, the cabin floor felt a bit too low than the door sill. Would it be a problem for elderly folks? I don’t know. The adaptive guidelines in reversing camera are a miss, but I don’t see it as a major miss.
The steering issue is probably something to do with TD car, I have a new Zeta, and the steering is very light at low speeds, at higher speeds it weighs up a bit. Coming from the HPS of the Punto, its comfortably light in the city, and so-so at highway speeds, nothing to complain of.

Outside noises do get into the cabin, its not a ultra-quiet cabin as I expected it to be. When I shut the Puntos doors, it literally cuts out everything, and I think it has a lot to do with the Glass thickness and the rubber seals. The glass for sure is super thin, its not too bad but you will surely hear high freq noises from around, and after 3K RPM you will hear the engine as well, the Engine note is not harsh, so it doesn't bother much.

Ingress- My in laws are mid 70s with knee and joint issues, they find it easy to get in and out, esp from the rear.

Boot - The 360 odd liters dont sound like much, but it does let you pack in quite a bit. The boot floor isn't very deep so vertical space is lesser than the competition.

Its very hatch like to drive which is what it is, easy to manage in tight spaces, I have taken in extremely tight narrow lanes, no sweat. All-round visibility is good except for the blind spot created by the A Pillar.
anand.shankar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks