Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2022, 02:20   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross AT | Should I buy the Alpha or Zeta variant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The alpha led's are good, but take a good look at whether they are correct for you, if you need to upgrade them, they cost a lot. Whereas, it is relatively easier to upgrade the halogen projectors. So drive the alpha at night and see if the light output is sufficient for you.
Sorry for my ignorance - I have only been with very old vehicles, for the past 32-years of my driving-life - and have really no idea about how fittings & fixtures work in the new-age vehicles...

My query @govigov:-

When you say "The alpha led's are good, but take a good look at whether they are correct for you, if you need to upgrade them, they cost a lot. Whereas, it is relatively easier to upgrade the halogen projectors."

What do you mean by "upgrade"?
Is it possible to modify the halogen projector on the Zeta variant in a way that it achieves better illumination?

If so, how?

[With my 1993 Maruti 800 - all one can do is change the stock bulb to a halogen variety! - and that changes the light intensity to maybe a +25%]
Old 6th March 2022, 10:53   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaditto View Post
What do you mean by "upgrade"?
you can change the LED projector unit to something that provides better illumination, but its invariably an expensive affair.

Quote:
Is it possible to modify the halogen projector on the Zeta variant in a way that it achieves better illumination?
Yes, by replacing halogen bulbs with HID bulbs. Very much like how you would do in your M800, take out the current halogens and fit in a new HID.

IMO, LED projectors in the mass market cars are more for show than function. A 90/100 philips halogen provides better lighting in all conditions vs an LED projector thats used by Maruti. If you are considering the Zeta, which has a halogen projector, I would say its a big plus over the Alpha. All you need to do is upgrade the halogen bulbs to higher wattage OR source a good pair of HID bulbs to improve illumination.

P.S: Do note that Maruti is ruthless when it comes to denying warranty for modified parts. If in case you replace the OEM bulbs with aftermarket bulbs, and there is an issue with your headlights, they will not replace it under warranty.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 15:52   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Yes, by replacing halogen bulbs with HID bulbs. Very much like how you would do in your M800, take out the current halogens and fit in a new HID.
Thank you @procrj for your suggestion.
I followed your lead and researched HID bulbs a bit... And a few points still seem a bit grey to me -

- Is it LEGAL - using HID bulbs - in India?

- Apparently, there is a DELAY between an HID coming on - and generating max power? If that's true, then how does that affect a "pass signal" (by pulling up the headlight lever)? Does a Xenon headlight work efficiently enough in that department, or is there a compromise involved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
P.S: Do note that Maruti is ruthless when it comes to denying warranty for modified parts. If in case you replace the OEM bulbs with aftermarket bulbs, and there is an issue with your headlights, they will not replace it under warranty.
- It seems Xenon bulbs inherently generate LESS heat - compared to the other two varieties? And since it will not need any extra attachment - like relays/ cooling fans etc. (assuming this from how you described the process for changing of bulbs) - it seems logical to hope that replacing the stock halogens with HID's should not affect the headlight assembly in a NEGATIVE way, as such?

Given that, just the fact that I have replaced the stock halogen with after-market HID's, does that itself tend to void my warranty with a company like Maruti?

Or is it only if and when that HID causes some problem to other parts?
And how big is that risk - since the HID is generating less heat, to begin with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks