Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2021, 20:52   #1
BHPian

Want to buy an Adventure SUV for camping, cycles & tents

I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum to be posting this query;

I have been with a Xylo for over 1Lac kms, the vehicle was purchased when it was in it's prime so the paraphernalia that came were suitable for that period of time, now my most crucial demands would be

1. It should seat 7, ideal travelers would be me + wife + 2 cycles + 1 Doberman + tents and other camping equipment's
2. When the above don't join it still would require to seat 4 hurly burly friends + 2 cycles + tents and other camping equipment's + one friends into fishing so fishing stuff (I cant change these guys, they been with me through thick and thin)
3. As the above scenarios go the destinations would be basically where no one dares to go, vehicle with strong bearings will really help and pan nation serviceability.
4. We were taught navigation with help of stars so vehicle needs only a decent music system and steering mounted controls along with PS and PW (those are only creature comforts required)

Oh and needs to be maroon

I tired the Isuzu something, it was good, but then never seen any ply on roads and it's not a tank to be so clandestine

Kind request to punch in options. Also I am free to be told that such vehicle doesn't exist so why not keep the current till it breaks and go for a adventure tourer motorcycle and try a whole new world out there
tatafanatic is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 01:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Want to buy an Adventure SUV for camping, cycles & tents

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatafanatic View Post

1. It should seat 7, ideal travelers would be me + wife + 2 cycles + 1 Doberman + tents and other camping equipment's
2. When the above don't join it still would require to seat 4 hurly burly friends + 2 cycles + tents and other camping equipment's + one friends into fishing so fishing stuff (I cant change these guys, they been with me through thick and thin)
For point 1 and 2, I can think of only and only one car and that is the Kia Carnival.

Quote:
3. As the above scenarios go the destinations would be basically where no one dares to go, vehicle with strong bearings will really help and pan nation serviceability.
4. We were taught navigation with help of stars so vehicle needs only a decent music system and steering mounted controls along with PS and PW (those are only creature comforts required)
But then point 3 raises some doubts for the Kia Carnival since it will face difficulties in taking the unbeaten paths due to its low ground clearance, and long rear overhang.

Either compromise on some space and some comfort and go for the Fortuner 4X4 / Gloster or compromise on the go anywhere capability and go for the Kia Carnival.

But looking at your requirements you’ll need something like this:
Name:  BB1925FC0CF645158098AD913D8A5979.jpeg
Views: 571
Size:  279.1 KB

PS: You can get a LC200 in maroon

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...yota-lc200-6x6
CEF_Beasts is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 01:35   #3
BHPian

The Toyota HiLux is coming up to its launch in a few weeks. It may be worth taking a look at that, if trucks are ok with you.
Old 26th December 2021, 06:57   #4
BANNED

Yes with the kind of requirement you have got there are few options available in Indian market as demand for such vehicle are very less.
If Xylo with wheelbase of 2760 was ok with you than you can go for MG Gloster with wheelbase of 2950 and ground clearance of 210.
You don't get maroon colour but do get agate red which is close to maroon.
Attached Thumbnails
Want to buy an Adventure SUV for camping, cycles & tents-screenshot_20211226063459.jpg  

V Rajgaria is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 08:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

This requirement can only be satisfied by a Fortuner 4x4. You will still have to compromise a bit on the space, but unfortunately our market does not have anything else at this point. If you can wait, the upcoming Scorpio will also be a probably candidate. Scorpio will be 90 percent of Fortuner at 50 percent of its price. Upcoming Hilux can also be an option.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 26th December 2021 at 08:11.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 08:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good one

Quote:
I have been with a Xylo for over 1Lac kms
Assuming it fulfils your mentioned needs minus the age factor.
Requirements :
7 seater, 4WD/AWD, pan nation serviceability

We're missing the budget but nevertheless let's look at the ground today. Won't venture beyond the 30 lakhs territory for now.
  • XUV 700 : fulfils all conditions but feels a touch too posh for rough roading but that's a personal opinion, expecting niggles of a freshly baked product, a detailed TD experience here. Adding the long waiting list for deliveries too.
  • Safari : FWD only and some reported issues and niggles aggravated by TML's hit/miss service. Looks the part, has space but how capable it is off road with the modes in your use case has to be checked.
  • Innova : RWD only but comes in Garnet Red(maroonish), on the expensive side of things

Quote:
needs to be maroon
its difficult to get, alternatively we can send any of the red ones to the course and they'll burn out to maroon in no time

There are good 4WD like the Thar and Gurkha and there are good 7 seaters like the three above and there are Tata, Mahindra and Maruti with good pan nation support but getting all of them together in one vehicle, only the 700 comes close with conditions mentioned above.

Future options :
- The new Scorpio : should be rough use friendly with better dynamics and hopefully a proper 7 seater too.
- Other options like the 5 door Jimny/Gypsy or the 5 door Thar would still fall short of space for your needs.

Weird/Wildcard :
- Marazzo : it will most likely be discontinued but essentially a much better Xylo, if you're open to considering an end of life vehicle and can get a good deal its an option as well but how good is for you to decide on a TD.

Quote:
keep the current till it breaks and go for a adventure tourer motorcycle and try a whole new world out there
If this is an option then head over to motorcycles.
Worth every bit, IMO.

Last edited by shancz : 26th December 2021 at 08:33. Reason: corr
shancz is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 10:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Any news on the Hexa? The last time I heard, Tata was still planning to relaunch it.
ashutoshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 11:08   #8
BHPian

At the outset please accept my sincere thanks for the suggestions

1. CEF Beasts (that's some name) - Kia Carnival i have seen, but as you rightly said maybe not really meant for the unknowns we end up travelling to, now what's that LC200 !!! it seems damn interesting to me !

2. dingolphie (again that's some name) - I had Hilux to my disposal during tenure in middle east, it's a very capable vehicle no doubts but maybe a efficient truck, i would stick to SUV / MPV, but surely will check once launched

3. V Rajgaria - One of my buddied owns a Hector Plus and he's singing praises over it like a canary so will definitely check the Gloster, but my only concern is what if MG shuts shop amidst !!

4. padmrajravi - We saw the Crysta at first predominantly as it came in color of my liking (near about), too posh for my usage, so we had a look at the Fortuner as well, no doubt it is a generation ahead of my xylo in every terms but does it really justify that price tag !!
On the Scorpio, I have been driven around a modified to purpose one for decade, so will definitely consider the civilian version

5. shancz - The budget constraints are there but you live once and that too now after two decades plus dodging all negatives leading to pearly gates.
XUV 700 + Safari - Seem more urban then their predecessors, i have nothing but respect for the olive safari which was my go to vehicle for 4 years in tandem
Thar + Gurkha - Seem like a marketing gimmick in name of ruggedness
Jimny !!! My Para name is Dr. Pinky, Pinky rides a Jimny would be disastrous
Marazzo - Will try and consider
Twowheeler - The best bet i have done is rode pan India on my Bajaj Chetak, a few days ago in the hospital premises i work now i saw a KTM 390 Adventure (if i got that name right), that's a steal !!

Hexa if re-born again most definitely

So Gents, Gloster will try, New Scorpio will eagerly await and Marazzo before the lights dim will enquire
tatafanatic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 13:05   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

If you are ok with the Mahindra badge and can consider giving up on the Maroon colour requirement, do give a glance to the Alturas G4. That's a Fortuner peer for 15L less (with the discounts thrown in). Has a very competent 4WD system (low range and some sort of lockers mimicking traction control system) and a lot of luggage space with the 3rd row down (not that you would be requiring it with your use case. Mahindra's service network is adequate too.

P.S: With the thousands of crores that it has invested in India, MG is not shutting shop atleast for the next 10 years unless China invades us. You would know the possibility of that happening better than most here.

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 26th December 2021 at 13:09. Reason: Adding something
sierrabravo98 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 13:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The budget constraints are there but you live once and that too now after two decades plus dodging all negatives leading to pearly gates.
True, hard earned

Quote:
XUV 700 + Safari - Seem more urban then their predecessors, i have nothing but respect for the olive safari which was my go to vehicle for 4 years in tandem
They are and that's why we were unhappy with TML's decision to name the bigger Harrier/Gravitas as the Safari since it didn't really resemble the traits of the previous gen, known to civilians as the Storme.

Quote:
Thar + Gurkha - Seem like a marketing gimmick in name of ruggedness
Zero driving experience with them or any true off roader but sheet looks ok, street will have to check how they turn up.

Quote:
Jimny !!! My Para name is Dr. Pinky, Pinky rides a Jimny would be disastrous
it would I hope they launch it as the Gypsy.

Quote:
- The best bet i have done is rode pan India on my Bajaj Chetak
- KTM 390 Adventure (if i got that name right), that's a steal
- That's a special trip, today's motorcycles will be like cake walk post that.
- Bullseye on the name and that motorcycle is indeed a steal. Have a friend riding it currently and he's mighty impressed. Only thing he said he would change is the stiff suspension which makes its presence felt. I am expecting the next iteration to have adjustable suspension to sort that out since the overseas versions already have them.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 15:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Want to buy an Adventure SUV for camping, cycles & tents

Quote:

Firstly, #respect to see a SF trooper punch in words on this forum. From the very little knowledge that I have on SF, its very rare for a "desert scorpion" to show a public display of affection .
Two of my extended family relatives happen to be a frogman and a Garud, btw.

Going by your needs, and also by the profile name, a modern Tata can actually do wonders for you. If not the olive Safari, then the modern Safari that you see plying on today's roads can also do the job very well, sir.
Can seat 7 (including the hurly burly types) + pan nation service network + more-than-decent music system.
Just 1 miss, it doesn't come with a maroon top. Am sure that can be managed quite easily.
JoshMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 19:02   #12
BHPian

1. sierrabravo98 - Alturas, interesting, as I haven't heard or seen it will definitely check it out
On the Chinese, we had a song "Chandu Ke Chaha Ne Chandu Ke Chachi Ko Chandi Ke Chamche Se Chatni Chakaayi", chacha and chachi for you to preempt !!

2.shancz - I am not of a tall frame and found it pretty hard to get on and over the KTM, if there is something more for shorter riders, it would be worth a check, albeit my first love would be a tourer scooter, wonder if any such are made, my memory gushes to a read on a BMW tourer, I enquired around (Uttarakhand) but none the dealers have heard.

Gypsy and me have lots of stories, some appropriate forum it would be written

3. JoshMachine - Garud's ��, as said nothing but respect for the old safari however the new one seems more urban to my taste, we don't have as they say vehicle etiquettes worth a mention.

Thanks to all
tatafanatic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 23:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I am not of a tall frame and found it pretty hard to get on and over the KTM, if there is something more for shorter riders, it would be worth a check,

2. albeit my first love would be a tourer scooter, wonder if any such are made, my memory gushes to a read on a BMW tourer, I enquired around (Uttarakhand) but none the dealers have heard.

3. Gypsy and me have lots of stories, some appropriate forum it would be written
1. Yes getting on is an issue and with my short frame I don't even consider the concept of flat footing on any motorcycle. I was ok with the Himalayan but haven't ridden the XPulse.

Seat height of ADVs : Worth a try
KTM 390 Adventure : 855mm
Hero XPulse : 825mm
Royal Enfield Himalayan : 800mm

In terms of power and response the KTM aces it.
XPulse is a good off roader but might feel underpowered on the highways.
Himalayan is quite likeable but is heavy and faster highways leave you wanting for more power.
But cruising around the 90 mark is comfortable.

If you're not going to off road much with the bike then try the Duke 390.

2. They're categorised as maxi-scooters usually.
You might be talking about the BMW C400 GT here.
Another highly acclaimed scooter is the Yamaha Aerox.
Suzuki Bergmann replicates the form but doesn't match in function, not a highway machine.

3. Will eagerly wait, do let us know
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 18:05   #14
BHPian

Keeping your requirements in mind, the are a few vehicles that fulfill the criteria. These are, in no particular order :-

1. New Scorpio (Yet to be launched). A proper body on frame car from a company that has decades of offroading legacy. The spyshots point towards it being a handsome vehicle with adequate space. Specifications will be something to watch out for, but we ought to have at least 150 BHP & 350NM probably. Hope it is offered with a 4x4 right at the launch.

2. Used Hexa AWD. A car that has been incrementally improved for nearly a decade and remains to this day the best BOF offering from Tata. At 156 BHP & 400NM, and a capable AWD, from Borg Warner IIRC, it remains a
vehicle to take to broken trails. Lack of a dedicated low range transfer case though may put off some hard-core 4x4 enthusiasts, but if the videos are something to go by, it more than adequately handles broken terrain with aplomb (see Blackpearl's thread on its offroading capability). Shod with a reliable 2.2L mill it will be the cheapest to own and maintain.

3. Isuzu V Cross. Isuzu and rugged are often spoken in the same breath, and for good reason. They make some of the most iconic offroad capable vehicles. They display typical Japanese traits of being reliable and abuse friendly. The service coverage is not that wide though.

4. Toyota Fortuner. Proven, rugged, reliable. Not the best ride quality out there (Hexa would be a difficult benchmark to beat here), it nevertheless is a capable off-roader. Combine that with robust mechanicals and you have a winner. The highly inflated prices are tear inducing though.

5. Ford Endeavour 3.2. With the departure of Ford from India, their vehicles' maintainance and service support has come under a cloud , although they will continue to be supported for the next 10 years and the numbers sold will always ensure that the spare parts are available. The upside is that used examples can be had for cheap. The 3.2 is a beast of an engine and the offroading credentials of the vehicle are impeccable.

Hope this helps you arrive at a decision. Test drive each one before making up your mind.

Happy (car) hunting !

Cheers !

All the vehicles mentioned are Body on Frame vehicles like the Gypsy. These have far more wheel articulation and are more capable of tackling broken terrain vis-a-vis monocoque vehicles like XUV / Hector/ Harrier. Also if you do decide to go ahead with a motorcycle purchase retaining the trusty old Xylo, then do have a look at V-Strom / Versys / KTM 390 Adventure . Our own rb2399 has toured the length and breadth of the country on his V-Strom which is an eminently tractable, low seat height, low CG motorcycle. Here are some links that may help you decide.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...000-km-up.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...installed.html (Suzuki V-Strom 650XT - Adventure bike done just right. EDIT: Akrapovic exhaust installed)

Last edited by Aditya : 5th January 2022 at 05:06. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Ironhide is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 10:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Going away from civilization? Fortuner it is.

I assume you have a cycle with a detachable front wheel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks