Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 22:30   #31
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 4x4 SUV with manual transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
I'd say stick to Japs if you are planning to do long drives on rough terrains. A old fortuner is a good choice too, but is not as fun to drive as a Pajero, IMHO. Both the new and the old one will outlive all of though. Do not become a test mule for a new mahindra vehicle like Scorpio or XUV.

Is a new fortuner/next gen model coming out soon ? Is it worth waiting for it ?
Old 5th February 2022, 00:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post

Renault showroom/ASC is there in Aizawl, but then I don't want to get into a money-pit, if that's a common fate with Duster AWD's...

Any thoughts/info?

-Eric
If you ask someone who never owned a Duster AWD, they will always give you reasons not to buy it. Most of the people who own it, don't want to let it go. There are many such examples in this forum itself even after failed injectors or other niggles. It is a fantastic touring car, great in the hills, drives and handles like a sedan, lot of passive safety features.

Yes the car does have injector issues. They are piezoelectric and any car which have them have complaints of them failing. Be it Renault and VW/Skoda or Mercedes, etc. They are super sensitive to fuel quality and I have personally seen them happening more in coastal or high humidity areas rather than dry areas like Delhi. Some claim the wiring harness is an issue and have got them changed, however that is yet to be proven because by the time Renault changed the harness all 4 injectors were also changed, and the owners have also got careful from where they fill their diesel. So that anyways brings down the chances of failure.

However saying that, if you have the budget for a Compass, I would say go for that. It is the next logical upgrade for the Duster AWD anyways and if you have the funds why not directly buy that. For use in the Himalayas, in the small towns and narrow roads it is always helpful and better to have a Duster or a Compass than a big Fortuner or Endeavour.
Altocumulus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 00:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Personally I'm perfectly fine with old & outdated so long as a car drives well and is reliable.

I've had in mind very similar ideals albeit on a more modest budget...

Duster AWD has seemed almost perfect to me as a package, but there are a lot of horror stories out there (incl. team-bhp threads) re: their reliability / ongoing maintenance issues. Suspension bushings, struts, A/C compressors, and particularly (at great expense), fuel injectors. Meaning premature and repeated failures on all these.

Saw a local one and asked the owner about it, and he said he'd never had a bit of trouble with it.

Can anybody shed any light on any of this? Were there particular years that had issues? Are they as bad as they sound? Does it come down to "luck"?

Really looking for a good all-rounder / family travel car and really would like a little better FE than what the average full-sized SUV's are managing.

Skoda Yetis are a great package and generally reliable and getting ridiculously cheap to buy, but costs of certain parts seem appallingly high, and moreover with a view to spending more time in Mizoram the next few years, the lack of ASC's in the Northeast is concerning.

Renault showroom/ASC is there in Aizawl, but then I don't want to get into a money-pit, if that's a common fate with Duster AWD's...

Any thoughts/info?

-Eric

I own a Duster AWD(bought pre-owned) and have been using it for last 5 years. Its is a jack of all trades. Suits your requirements to the dot. Other than the usual service , I have replaced rear suspention at 60k ( costed 15k) and replaced the instrument cluster once ( under warranty) since it was getting reset automatically.

But as GTO mentioned, if money is not an issue, I would pick the Jeep Compass any day. Its a differnet segmant altogether.
nettooran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 01:25   #34
BHPian

My two bits.

Yes the Jeep Compass is tempting. I find it a bit overpriced in India considering in the US its basically more of a student car. In fact, im also in the market for a used Jeep 4*4 in MT within 20 L but they are hard to come by.

The new Fortuner is WAYY overpriced if you ask me after the taxes.

Why not wait and see what the new Scorpio 2021 has to offer?. If you are Ok with the ladder on frame SUV that is. For sure it will come with a 4WD or AWD option given its pedigree.
petrogeek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 06:45   #35
BHPian

Some nit-picking:
1) AWD or 4x4: Different strokes for different folks. Former can go most places that have some kind of a road, the latter can go almost anywhere, road/path/pagdandi or no road.
2) Ground clearance: Nexon, Duster, Brezza (unsure) make the cut without hitting your wallet. I am not sure of the rules and regulations regarding lift kits.
3) Fuel efficiency of 14kmpl: NO WAY any AWD or 4x4 will give you that. Unless you resort to trickery narrated in the movies Do Jasoos (from I think the 1970s or 1980s, Raj Kapoor and Rajendra Kumar)
4) Comfort is subjective. Throw in a few cushions/pillows for under thigh support.
As a new Gurkha owner recently said on TBHP and I quote: "We want the cars that we buy to do everything, every time."
If you want to drive most places, any vehicle with decent ground clearance will do the needful. If you want to go off-road, you NEED a 4x4 (in addition to the skills to drive off-road, a different topic altogether). I am not talking about driving on the beach (though all those that get bogged on the beach are not likely to be reading this).
Since you seem to have no budget issues, wait either for the Jimny (may be petrol, may be diesel) or go for a Mahindra NON-AC 4x4 Bolero pick-up (diesel). The only snafu is that the Bolero pick-up is classed as a commercial vehicle and you get it with yellow (commercial vehicle) plates that generate their own problems.
All versions of Jeep, Isuzu and the Hilux are machines that are designed to take punishment ... that I think is NOT your need. Also these machines are huge so your turn specs are exceeded.
Not wanting to confuse the scene, but bottom line is decide WHERE you want to go. TBHP can and will then help with 'how', 'when', 'what' and 'who' questions.
mygodbole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 20:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
It's the 110hp DCIs that are the issue... The owner you conversed with would have had the 85hp 4x2. Those are proper workhorses with almost no mechanical issues.
No, actually he had the AWD model, which is why I was a bit surprised at his assertion of a trouble-free experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
3) Fuel efficiency of 14kmpl: NO WAY any AWD or 4x4 will give you that....

If you want to drive most places, any vehicle with decent ground clearance will do the needful. If you want... go for a Mahindra NON-AC 4x4 Bolero pick-up (diesel). The only snafu is that the Bolero pick-up is classed as a commercial vehicle and you get it with yellow (commercial vehicle) plates that generate their own problems.
Yeti, Duster AWD's and even the 2014-up Aria 4x4 (actually AWD) all have FE ratings well above 14kmpl.

As for the Bolero Campers (not pickup) I don't think it fits his requirement, but the yellow-plate vs. white-plate question has been discussed elsewhere in the forum - it depends on the state/local authorities' interpretation and implementation (and whims) re: the Motor Vehicle Act... In our part of H.P. it's strictly yellow-plate now, a change from earlier... In at least some parts of PB, KA, MZ (what I've seen so far) and probably others, white plates are permissible assuming non-commercial use and a signed affadavit from the owner to the authority expressing that same usage intent and commitment.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 5th February 2022 at 20:25.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 10:10   #37
BHPian

I have decided to go ahead with the Thar and yes, with it's limitations. I'll try to see if certain aspects of it can be improved post purchase - e.g. better thigh support etc so that for the rare Himalaya trips that would happen, it's still is comfortable for the highway runs until I get to the Himalayas. It ticks most of my boxes for the hills and rank bad roads. I do expect to do a few more areas even with Karnataka, TN and KL that I have not been able to do with the Creta or my earlier swift. The compromise I'm making here is that it's not going to be a comfortable vehicle for long runs, but mentally prepared for that. The other main reason is that my family could care less about the Fortuner or the Thar - they've already told me not to expect them to get into either :(. So this is a car for ME, perhaps my kids and friends. Heart over mind in owning an MT 4X4 Diesel. The Global NCAP of 4 for the thar for 2 passengers helps a bit too. I also think that there will be a better thar version in 2023 with four doors etc, but that's unlikely to improve my family's love( or the lack thereof) towards the thar - so not a consideration at all.

I would be keen to get these modifications and accessories done for the thar.

1. Reverse cam or 360 degree cam
2. Better blindspot mirrors,
3. Longer ORVMs (rather than stock tall ORVMs ) - for better visibility
4. Considering seat modifications for better comfort
5. Remote lock key
6. Rear wipers
7. Any other cosmetic
8. Remove the sparewheel from the rearside, give it a stupid look, but improve visibility for the rear.

The Fortuner, I still have a thing for it - but given my family was meh about both thar and fortuner, the possibility of using fortuner as a family car was slim - they don't like the rough and tumble of it and for the city as well, it isn't the best of cars. Plus the other major decision in favour of thar here is I would feel a bit more comfortable driving the thar in the city and crowded streets and narrow roads and also more comfortable throwing around a 17.5 lakh car rather than a 47 lakh car. It also leaves me with enough budget to buy another fancy monocoque when I replace the Creta 2 years down the line, especially with an interesting market that keeps improving it's offerings if recent trends are to go by.

Lastly, I would have bought the Jeep Compass 4x4 MT without batting an eyelid - if a new one was available. I tend to keep my cars for years and I'm generally very apprehensive of used cars or any electornics for that matter too - reduces my peace of mind. I would not have considered the duster - I like it quite a lot and I have test driven multiple times - but even owners have persuaded me not to go for it ( in fact, when I bought the creta in 2016, the Duster AWD was higher up on the list for me to start with ).

Going to book very soon - let me know from a driver standpoint if there are other things to consider for the thar ( better visibility, reduced blindspots are priorities )

Last edited by airguitar : 7th February 2022 at 10:13.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 15:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
I have decided to go ahead with the Thar and yes, with it's limitations.
Good choice It won't disappoint you if your expectations are realistic from a ladder-frame, SWB jeep that the Thar is.

Do not go overboard with Mahindra accessories as most of them are sub-standard in terms of quality, as pointed out by many. This is what I would recommend:
  • Spare Wheel Cover (protects the spare)
  • Magnetic Sunshades Set (quite useful if you do not plan to get window tints)
  • Full Camouflage Body Cover (if you're parking it outdoors)
  • SS Scuff Plate Set (your take)
  • Front & Rear Mud Flap Set (a must)
  • Radiator Protection Guard Kit (a must unless you plan to get full underbody protection from Arka, etc.)
  • Fuel Tank Protector (same as above)
  • Rear View Camera Kit

All the best! Will stay tuned for pictures of your Thar

Last edited by cool_dube : 8th February 2022 at 15:26.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 12:52   #39
BHPian

To logically conclude this thread, I have booked my Thar now - MT HT LX DSL HT 4X4 DP GRY. I know the fella's limitations and I know exactly what I'm getting into

Thank you so much for this productive discussion over the last few days.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
To logically conclude this thread, I have booked my Thar now - MT HT LX DSL HT 4X4 DP GRY. I know the fella's limitations and I know exactly what I'm getting into

Thank you so much for this productive discussion over the last few days.
Good choice and might I add only available choice in this price range, other then Gurkha. Fortuner is 3 times this cost and makes limited sense.

Jeep Compass is sorely missed in 4*4 MT avatar.

Did you do TD of Gurkha? Why Thar over Gurkha?
Old 17th February 2022, 13:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Good choice and might I add only available choice in this price range, other then Gurkha. Fortuner is 3 times this cost and makes limited sense.

Jeep Compass is sorely missed in 4*4 MT avatar.

Did you do TD of Gurkha? Why Thar over Gurkha?
Looks based decision primarily. I didn't TD the Gurkha - I won't be allowed to park it anywhere near my garage unfortunately.
Old 5th August 2022, 19:03   #42
BHPian

Closing/got the thar delivered.

For those with similar questions, we of course now have the Scorp-N that is available in MT+4x4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks