Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2022, 11:48   #1
BHPian

Want to buy a 4x4 SUV with manual transmission

Might sound like a person searching for a perfect partner - but here I go. I'm looking for an SUV/MUV with the following criteria. While it might be a laughable set of requirements for a single vehicle - I would like to point out that there have been cars that tick all these boxes ( Jeep 2.0 Limited edition, Duster AWD etc ).

Primary Constraints
1. Manual transmission
2. AWD or 4WD
3. Smaller turning radius of closer to 5.3 or lesser
4. Comfortable car for long drives too of 500+ km, good thigh support
5. Comfortable for atleast 3 people
6. Good GC - of 190 or more.
7. FE of atleast 14.
8. Good high seating

Secondary constraints, but ok if they are not met
8. Diesel fuel type
9. Acceptable boot space of at least 350 litres

Options:
1. Jeep Compass Limited edition - used car - as compass not offered in manual trans with awd currently. Not keen on used cars
2. Used Duster - same as above. But not keen.
3. Fortuner - steep budget, but perhaps ok. But FE falls way short as does turning radius. Ok to compromise on FE but not TR.
4. If I switch to automatic - I have quite a few options - but want to make sure that there is no upcoming car or existing car that checks the criteria that I need.

Help?

Last edited by airguitar : 2nd February 2022 at 11:49.
airguitar is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 19:30   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Want to buy a 4x4 SUV with manual transmission

Go for the Compass, man. If you are looking at MT & 4x4, it is one of the best packages available. Don't worry about pre-owned, follow our used car checklist (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.) and you'll be 99% safe, and also save a whole lot of money.

The Compass MT offers a stellar, satisfying driving experience that is equal to a Mercedes C-Class on the open road. No.2 would be the Duster AWD - great suspension and AWD, but terribly old & outdated. You clearly don't have a budget restriction, hence the Compass MT 4x4 is your new best friend.

Another option worth considering would be a pre-owned Hexa MT 4x4, but its way better in AT than MT form.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 20:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 4x4 SUV with manual transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No.2 would be the Duster AWD - great suspension and AWD, but terribly old & outdated.
Personally I'm perfectly fine with old & outdated so long as a car drives well and is reliable.

I've had in mind very similar ideals albeit on a more modest budget...

Duster AWD has seemed almost perfect to me as a package, but there are a lot of horror stories out there (incl. team-bhp threads) re: their reliability / ongoing maintenance issues. Suspension bushings, struts, A/C compressors, and particularly (at great expense), fuel injectors. Meaning premature and repeated failures on all these.

Saw a local one and asked the owner about it, and he said he'd never had a bit of trouble with it.

Can anybody shed any light on any of this? Were there particular years that had issues? Are they as bad as they sound? Does it come down to "luck"?

Really looking for a good all-rounder / family travel car and really would like a little better FE than what the average full-sized SUV's are managing.

Skoda Yetis are a great package and generally reliable and getting ridiculously cheap to buy, but costs of certain parts seem appallingly high, and moreover with a view to spending more time in Mizoram the next few years, the lack of ASC's in the Northeast is concerning.

Renault showroom/ASC is there in Aizawl, but then I don't want to get into a money-pit, if that's a common fate with Duster AWD's...

Any thoughts/info?

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 2nd February 2022 at 20:52.
ringoism is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 21:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Might sound like a person searching for a perfect partner - but here I go
What's with the small turning radius? A trip to the narrow and treacherous roads of the Himalayas on the cards, eh? The cliffhanger route, perhaps?

If not for this constraint, your best bet is a Fortuner 4x4 MT, new or pre-owned depends on your budget. If you need a smaller vehicle then I'd agree with GTO that a Compass 4x4 MT is the only good option. Pre-owned is the only option here, as you have rightly pointed out.

You might also want to give a thought to the Thar 2020 MT - compact dimensions, just perfect for those narrow Himalyan roads and tough as nails with proper 4x4 mechanism, albeit at the cost of non-existent boot space. If you can manage with one rear seat folded down for additional luggage space then this is an excellent option.
cool_dube is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 04:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Can anybody shed any light on any of this? Were there particular years that had issues? Are they as bad as they sound? Does it come down to "luck"?
It's the 110hp DCIs that are the issue. Those are the ones sensitive to diesel quality and hence tend to spring up injector issues (also due to low usage).

Other running repairs such as the dampers are also on the expensive side for the AWD I believe. The owner you conversed with would have had the 85hp 4x2. Those are proper workhorses with almost no mechanical issues.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd February 2022 at 06:49. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
vishy76 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the Compass, man.

The Compass MT offers a stellar, satisfying driving experience that is equal to a Mercedes C-Class on the open road. No.2 would be the Duster AWD - great suspension and AWD, but terribly old & outdated. You clearly don't have a budget restriction, hence the Compass MT 4x4 is your new best friend.

Another option worth considering would be a pre-owned Hexa MT 4x4, but its way better in AT than MT form.
Thanks GTO. The other thing is that I'm not in a hurry - is any new upcoming model worth the wait/ticks these boxes ? I'm not looking to use this as a second car - but as the primary and one that will stay with me for 10 years at the least, so a bit more keen on a new one. I'll certainly have the used Compass on the list though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
What's with the small turning radius? A trip to the narrow and treacherous roads of the Himalayas on the cards, eh? The cliffhanger route, perhaps?

If not for this constraint, your best bet is a Fortuner 4x4 MT, new or pre-owned depends on your budget. If you need a smaller vehicle then I'd agree with GTO that a Compass 4x4 MT is the only good option. Pre-owned is the only option here, as you have rightly pointed out.

You might also want to give a thought to the Thar 2020 MT - compact dimensions, just perfect for those narrow Himalyan roads and tough as nails with proper 4x4 mechanism, albeit at the cost of non-existent boot space. If you can manage with one rear seat folded down for additional luggage space then this is an excellent option.
Thank you cool_dube. Yes, the Himalayas are certainly one of the reasons behind the AWD and shorter turning radius, as is the need for city or town traffic driving ( I don't want a 3 point u turner even as 45 vehicles honk impatiently ). Also for the Himalayas, I have generally seen that smaller cars do a stellar job - I don't want to look like an idiot with a fancy car that struggles with negotiating turns and oncoming vehicles while smaller cars zip through - hence trying to get the balance right. Again, as per my comment above, not in a hurry, can wait for the right model if there is something coming up.

Re the thar, I nearly booked it and was going to use it as a second car - saves money compared to a fortuner, but I have to use it for the highways too (typically, 500+ kms a day frequently on trips ). The concerns that are preventing me from the purchase are
1. Poor underthigh support that makes it difficult for long drives ( including comments from GTO on the official review thread )
2. Reduced rear visibility due to the spare wheel taking up a huge space of the IRVM view.
3. Reduced safety on the second row what with the second row abutting rear edge of the vehicle making it feel a little unsafe from tailing vehicles.
If I find suitable solutions/answers to these 3 problems, I will keep my existing creta and purchase the thar and forget anything else for the next few years.

Last edited by airguitar : 3rd February 2022 at 12:05.
airguitar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not looking to use this as a second car - but as the primary and one that will stay with me for 10 years at the least, so a bit more keen on a new one.
Would suggest the Fortuner 4X4 MT (a new one will be better since it gets a rear diff-lock over the pre-facelift 4X4 Fortuners) if it's going to be your primary car and you are going to keep it for 10 years.

You can check this video, it might help, it's a Fortuner 4X4 MT

CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 16:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you cool_dube. Yes, the Himalayas are certainly one of the reasons behind the AWD and shorter turning radius
As I see it, here are your options:

a. Keep the Creta and buy a new Thar D MT HT, if you are okay with the latter's shortcomings, as mentioned by you above. It is not one of the best highway cruisers out there but does the job if your expectations are not too high, with the added advantage of being literally invincible on those rough terrains that will be your destination post these cross-country drives. You also get the option to go for the lovely petrol engine (if you want to avoid DPF issues) along with HT and proper 4x4, which is not the case with any other off-roader available in the market today.

b. Keep the Creta for city runs and buy a pre-owned Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT. Go with Toyota UTrust and get a moderately run pre-facelift model (2016 and prior), key advantage being full-time 4wd and no DPF hassles. You can get good examples within 20-22 lac.

c. If budget is not a constraint, keep the Creta for city runs and buy a new Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT. Just for records, the turning radius of a Jeep Compass is 5.7 m whereas that of the Fortuner is 5.8 m

d. Sell the Creta and get a new Jeep Compass 4x4 AT as your all-rounder car, for both city and highway runs. I know you want an MT, but used Compass 4x4 MT is very rare to come by, as very few were sold. A Compass is probably the only car in 4x4 avatar that can serve as a city and highway runner with equal ease. For that matter, you can also consider a used Compass FWD, which is quite a capable machine unless you want to indulge in some serious stuff. These will be available aplenty in the used car market.

Hope I have not confused your further

Last edited by cool_dube : 3rd February 2022 at 16:27.
cool_dube is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 17:35   #9
BHPian

Thanks yet again. I'm leaning towards options 1 or 3 at the moment. It all boils down to the thar's inconveniences v/s the Fortuner's monies. With the thar, if it turns out to be a mistake, I can still hope to recover in some years; but if the Fortuner turns out to be a mistake then I'm pretty much stuck for the rest of my life

The Creta has done about 82000 and so, don't see me keeping it beyond another 2 years.

The only regrettable miss from this list is the Pajero Sport - I would take it any day over the Fortuner due to the sizeable price difference - but it would be a risk - only much older models available in India. - not the newer ones.

Last edited by airguitar : 3rd February 2022 at 17:40.
Old 4th February 2022, 02:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the Compass, man. If you are looking at MT & 4x4, it is one of the best packages available..
I too was searching for used 4x4, with driving pleasure for long highways and as well as when we do a trip up the mountains. Now only on choice came within budget was 4 x 4 jeep. But now the issue is that i am finding used 4 x 4 compass in only auto.

Hey GTO if i am unable to find manual 4x4 used, is the auto too bad. Between 4x4 auto and 2x4 manual. Should i just go for manual.

(Driven the manual 2x4 and as you said on open highways its brilliant.)

The trip up the mountains would be rare.
easterncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 08:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

I can think of Thar, Fortuner or Compass as obvious options but from that list, and as an only car, the Compass 4x4 MT is probably your best bet (particularly given your turning radius / footprint preference).

It has the sophistication of a daily driver, its compact without being too small, proper 4x4 pedigree. If you want latest and “bestest” the new one looks like a million bucks inside out - if you want to save some money they you should be able to get some pre facelift used ones which will save you a million bucks, give or take, at the expense of a slightly underwhelming interior.

My top pick would be the Compass. The advantage of Fortuner of course is that it will last FOREVER and will also get you the best resale price at whichever point in its lifecycle you would like to sell it. But if you’re in it for the really long haul on ownership then that last point shouldn’t weigh too much.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 08:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Take a test drive of a Mahindra Scorpio. Yeah its dated but its capable. Has a robust chassis that can withstand abuse, a superb engine, has the all important manual gearbox and comes with the option of four wheel drive. Is semi decent in its interior appointments.

Not sure about the turning radius. For the rest of your parameters, it should do the job.

Alternatively, I can only think of an Isuzu ute but that thing is going to be a royal pain to park due to its size.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 08:48   #13
BHPian

If you don’t mind going for old and outdated, why not consider the Grand Vitara or the X-Trail? Both of these cars would be available for under 4 lakhs depending on the condition. Both of these cars have a lot of off road capabilities and 4x4 / AWD with lockable centre differential. I believe the Grand Vitara also has a low range gearbox and a hybrid chassis (reinforced monocoque). While the X-Trail offers a diesel. Their designs, although old, are mature and have aged very well. Both the cars also score high on comfort, long distance cruising and reliability. Just be prepared for pricey parts and longer wait times.
mohitchalla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:16   #14
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Renault showroom/ASC is there in Aizawl, but then I don't want to get into a money-pit, if that's a common fate with Duster AWD's...

Any thoughts/info?
Hi Eric, I've been following your Marshall thread and would like you to know that the Duster is not such an easy to work on vehicle like your Marshall. Problem with the AWD is the 110 PS engine which had the injector failures. I own two and have never faced this issue, but I have observed people in to coastal areas reporting it more often.

It would be difficult to get a 2019-2020 Mfg. car which is the only model year I would recommend since you can then back upon the extended warranty for failing parts. Renault offers it up to 7 years and 100,000 km through various packages. Warranty backed cars will have to be serviced at the ASCs and the cost of maintaining a Duster is higher than a XUV, Scorpio, Innova or Fortuner.

I would suggest a Scorpio 4WD to you, and you only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The owner you conversed with would have had the 85hp 4x2. Those are proper workhorses with almost no mechanical issues.
That's what I was wondering too.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:20   #15
BHPian

I had similar requirements. After long deliberation, i picked up Jeep Compass S AT. Unless you are sticky with manual, go for Compass 4×4 AT. The auto box is slow shifting for quick highway use. But, I find it par for course, because it is a heavy SUV, not suited for stunts. The more you do off-road, you would find the box well suited for that purpose.

Compass AT is effortless for offroading. Many odd behaviours of the AT box, are in fact suited for off road. For example, if you apply the break a bit hard, then Compass will down shift and hold the gear for some time. While this feels odd on highway, it is perfect on a down hill section.

Only issue with Compass is the low front bumper. It will scrap on approach to ascend. The newly added diesel exhaust fluid tank at the rear is an afterthought, and is sitting low. Not much of an issue, due to short rear overhang. Not a great placement either.

Duster is an excellent car, as long a you can live with the interior. I can't.

Fortuner is overpriced, both old and new. You will like it only if that is your calling. Adding to that, old fortuner has pathetic road manners and ride- relative to Compass and Duster. Common trait for ladder frame SUVs. Try driving Pajero sports and Fortuner back to back, to understand how bad Fortuner is, even for body on frame chassis.
WhiteKnight is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks