Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 23:40   #16
BHPian

I own a petrol Indica since 2001. Till date its engine, clutch and transmission systems have never given me any problems. Except for a few minor issues (non-engine) related, my Indica has been at the Tata workshop in Dehradun only at the time of servicing. Judging from Muralidharan post, I certainly agree with him that a petrol Safari will be smoother, refiner, quicker and will save its owner from frequent visits to a Tata service centre. Yes, the only major issue is high petrol bills. But my drives will not be more than 1000 kms a month, with occasional long drives to the Char-Dhaams and into Himachal once every six months. I do also intend to visit Leh in my Safari before I die!

My Indica gives 12 kmpl in city. It’s a fantastic car. Very smooth, refined, has great pickup and great cruising availability. Even today, I spot curious and struck with amazement faces of attendants at fuel filling stations when, I park my car next to a petrol dispensing unit instead of a diesel one and ask them to fill petrol into the car!!! The car has been virtually maintenance free for the past 6 years! Touchwood!

I also like to add here that I frequently spotted disgruntled diesel Indica owners at the Tata workshop at the time of servicing.

I am quite close to acquiring a petrol Safari 4x4 vxi. Just going take a few test rides in petrol safari owners of Dehradun. I will have to also find out about the availability of spare parts of petrol safari at Tata Motors, Dehradun. Luckily, the owner of Tata Motors happens to be my classmate. I am sure he will give me good service as he always has for my petrol Indica. All the people at Tata Motors know that their boss is my classmate. So I get a little extra attention and care!
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:22   #17
Team-BHP Support

When you mean owner of Tata motors, do you mean Ratan Tata??
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:52   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post

Luckily, the owner of Tata Motors happens to be my classmate
Well. then why not wait for a couple of months and buy a Land Rover
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:54   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
600km per month travel Diesel won't make sense
The petrol EXi and diesel EX costs exactly same. The diesel fuel is cheaper than petrol, and diesel gives more FE than petrol. So, why doesn't diesel make sense at 600Km/month?
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When you mean owner of Tata motors, do you mean Ratan Tata??
Nah !!! It is probably the owner of the Tata Motors Dealer in Dehradun. Check out his profile - His age is 30 - He cannot be Ratan Tata's Classmate for heaven's sake.

But nevertheless, he gets good service there !!!

Why don't you ask your friend on this advise whether you should buy a Petrol or not - He would tell you. IMHO - Go for the Dicor !!
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:07   #21
Team-BHP Support

Safari EX 2.2 and petrol cost the same. So the diesel makes more sense.
As for more disgruntled tata diesel owners, the reason is that more tata diesels get sold.
Most of them are disgruntled because of electrical problems
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Safari EX 2.2 and petrol cost the same. So the diesel makes more sense.
except that Petrol comes with ABS & Airbags which costs almost 1 lakh more in Diesel variants so it is not apples to apples comparison. Also, does the Petrol comes with 4X4 by default ?
Old 26th November 2007, 17:55   #23
BHPian

No, no! Lol! I mean the owner of the tata dealership at dehradun. His son who now looks after the dealership is my classmate.

That is not true. They are frustated because of mostly engine problems. I had asked many of the owners.

No. There are two variants in petrol. One is 2x2 and the other is 4x4. ABS with EBD is available only in 4x4. Also, unfortunately the VXi has been discontinued.

Last edited by Zappo : 26th November 2007 at 18:27. Reason: You are spamming the board. Post at one go rather than 10 one-liners at a minute's interval.
Old 26th November 2007, 18:25   #24
BHPian

That is because i cannot bear the typical cluttering of a diesel engine under the bonnet even when its idling.
Old 7th December 2007, 20:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

TATA safari Exi 4X2 and 4X4 both versions come with airbag and ABS with EBD. thats only the difference between its diesel counterpart Ex.

Petrol and Diesel Safari Ex cost same thats true.

What I heard is except for Spare parts issue if something go wrong while on long drive and more fuel bill compared with its Diesel version, less resale value or almost no takers everything Petrol Safari wins big time. Its more powerfull and smooth and comfortable cruiser.

But what I heard is how LPG is loosing its importance day by day with price raise 5 years downtheline Diesel price will reach near to Petrol price.

So next 5 years Diesel rule for economy and after that Hybrid will rule.

so may be by then Hybrid Safari will be introduced

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 8th December 2007, 03:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post

No. There are two variants in petrol. One is 2x2 and the other is 4x4. ABS with EBD is available only in 4x4. Also, unfortunately the VXi has been discontinued.

1. 2x2 is the petrol safari bike?

2. for our curiousity could you please post a test drive experience of both the dicor and petrol safari?
i for one and i'm sure many others here would never have driven both.
Old 8th December 2007, 11:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Stumbled on to this thread today.. Buddy, you married to the daughter of an Arab Sheikh? If yes, go for the Safari Petrol; provided you get one. You've to order for it, in case you don't know.

If not, the 3.0 L DICOR is the beast for you. You'll never regret buying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyam View Post
I have decided to buy a Safari EX by next month. Not being able to decide whether to go for the Safari Dicor Ex or Safari EXI Petrol.

It will be self driven. Average distance travel per month will be around 600 Kms. Out of this 60% will be in city and rest 40% will be on highways.

The vehicle will be with me for 5 to 6 years. Not very particular about the resale value. Would prefer a responsive, silent and trouble free (practically to the extend possible) engine.

Will a petrol engine lead to less body rattling? Most of the Safaris on the road are on diesel and so most of the service centre people will be familiar with the same. Thus will there be a problem in after sales maintenance because of lack of experienced mechanics of Safari petrol engine at TATA's workshops?

Please let me know your views.
Old 15th December 2007, 15:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am watching this closely because I am considerring between Petrol and Diesel Safari. Short listed Pearl white/Red/black colors.

Buying time will be 6 months from now.

So If some of the members in this community owns Petrol Safari do posit the review and details of ownership experience.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 15th December 2007, 16:15   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I am watching this closely because I am considerring between Petrol and Diesel Safari. Short listed Pearl white/Red/black colors.
OT: You have a flair for buying petrol variants of cars that have primarily done well with a diesel engine, don't you ?

A petrol innova and now a petrol Safari ?
Old 15th December 2007, 19:29   #30

I do agree safari has got best looks.. but the problem with that is pathetic.. i was working for tata dealership, i have seen many cases returning in a day or two with many problems... why cant you give a try for Innova....?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks