Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2007, 21:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Very True Eddy this is mainly because I am class apart always even in my daily basis life style although I have tons of relatives/Fans/friends.

My aim is always to reach beyond If it helps people keeping good nature/target in mind.

I wish to hear something about Petrol Safari.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 15th December 2007, 23:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkiblr View Post
I do agree safari has got best looks.. but the problem with that is pathetic.. i was working for tata dealership, i have seen many cases returning in a day or two with many problems... why cant you give a try for Innova....?
chikkiblr,

Is this recent phenomena or you are talking about Safari quality a few years back ?
Old 17th December 2007, 13:40   #33
BHPian

petrol and diesel safari test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
1. 2x2 is the petrol safari bike?

2. for our curiousity could you please post a test drive experience of both the dicor and petrol safari?
i for one and i'm sure many others here would never have driven both.
Hi. I have driven both the petrol and diesel tata safaris. though i am yet to drive the new 2.2 vtt version.

after driving both safaris the impression i get from the diesel version is that its lazy, vibrates, rattles too much, lacks grunt and not fun to drive in city traffic. the petrol sibling is just the opposite. its smoooooooooth, silent, quick sprinter and athletic even in city conditions. i certainly don't mind paying extra for petrol. i want every moment spent driving this beast to be smooth, refined and pleasurable.
Old 17th December 2007, 13:51   #34
BHPian

get in touch with ram2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I am watching this closely because I am considerring between Petrol and Diesel Safari. Short listed Pearl white/Red/black colors.

Buying time will be 6 months from now.

So If some of the members in this community owns Petrol Safari do posit the review and details of ownership experience.

Regards,

Ravi.
hi. i suggest that you get in touch with a fellow member of team-bhp. his id is ram2004. he owns a petrol exi 4x4. last year he undertook the mother of all long drives...chennai-leh-kargil-srinagar-udaipur-chennai.

he is the ideal person to get ownership reviews on petrol safari. goto the following link to read more on this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...html#post34859

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/ram2004.html
Old 17th December 2007, 20:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thank you shaheenazk,

Thats good impression, same thing I heard from my friend as well. So Petrol Safari returns around 9kmpl just 1 km less than Petrol Innova

My friend said people buy Diesel Safari just for Fuel Economy and torque. This is common trend SUV has to be Diesel. If one person say something is really good all others follow him without checking. Many people who travel less still Diesel cars.

Diesel Safari is suitable for people who travel a lot and need less Fuel bills but by compromising comfort/refinement/NVH levels etc.

Petrol Safari is for guys who need best comfort and not bothered about FE and resale value as of now.

Please I don't mean to hurt any of the owners of any car. Choosing the car is individual taste!

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 17th December 2007 at 20:45.
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:16   #36
BHPian

We have a Safari 3.0 l bought in 2002 for family usage and has clocked 1.6L Kms. Even today I love to drive the vehicle and on highways I feel that I am in a commanding position and I usually cruise at 110-120 Kmph normally and i simply love the vehicle. We upgraded from Sierra after owning it for 5 years. Whatever said and done there is constant improvement in quality of the vehicle and we are planning to go for the latest Safari 2.2 VTT with our pleasent experience with the vehicle.Not much of expenditures incurred apart from the normal periodic services and we get around 12-13 kpl FE in mixed driving.
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:56   #37
BHPian

Im not supporting petrol safari but If u r interested in petrol safari, just consider this... I have came across few ad's and also remember reading one thread in this forum that petrol safari's second hand are available as low as 2.5 lakhs in near perfect condition.... so if u can get hold a safari-p for that price then i feel it makes a lot of sense as well as u can enjoy this beast in such a low price... so that u can compromise on FE (As long as my understading goes safari-p will return 5kmpl in city and 9kmpl in highway) but beware u will face the same suffering while selling it out do update us...
Old 31st January 2009, 23:47   #38

Hi Satyam,
I have one petrol version running good. Here are my (personal) observations. Hope this is usefull.

Pros
1. Great comfort, no rattling noise, smooth ride even with most urban roads (I guess any safari is OK with pot holes and worst roads)
2. Engine is very smooth, almost noiseless
3. In cities it has given me 7-8 per litre with ac on. In long - sorry, I don't remember.
4. I like the looks
5. Great leg room, very comfortable for driver and passenger
6. During most light accidents, I never had to do anything for my Safari comparing the cost of repairs to my another Accent (great machine for that money), or even the maruthi (Cool but delicate darling!)
7. When I bought this machine, I was expecting the comfort of my Accord but at 100km/hour. Safari rocks when it comes to comfort,long drives and safety but again don't expect speed...and it's a great mistake to compare this with Accord (Price range difference could be reasonable..I am not sure)
8. Compared to Scorpio, great suspension is what I felt. Don't know about the new Scorpio.
9. Unlike most drivers felt, City driving is never a problem for me. But if I am driving a car, yes I am more faster and play.
10. Great view of the road when in driver's seat

Cons
1. Maintenance cost is high (You have to wait for parts,spares not readily available)
2. Cheap plastic interiors
3.A/c had lot of problems (I replaced the whole fittings)
4. Though I could drive it around 120 or little high very long back, it is good at hundred or a little above considering comfort of passangers (I always go with my family and my parents). Innova deffinitely is ahead. when it comes to speed, but looks are ugly for me
5. Resale value - Forget it, keep this with you and be happy with it's looks
6. After sales service - Most of my Bangalore experience is not great. Not happy with this. This is a deciding factor.
7. Luggage space - Rear seats when occupied, you will complain else it is fine.

Ok, will I buy Petrol/Diesel Safari again? NO. Second hand for 3-4 lacs might be lucrative offer, but hell who want's to deal with maintenance problems.
Will I buy Innova (Petrol/Disel) again? NO
Do I regret buying Safari petrol? Never. I am still OK with this annual expense cum great sofa just for it's looks and safety which I have always experienced. That's why I bought a second hand machine (3K run at 4.75lacs,Petrol 2.1L,2004 version)

Do I recommend Petrol Safari for others?
NO, I might as well suggest the ugly looking Innova. Atleast I have seen Innova performing better and have heard good reports about after sales service from my friends. Second hand purchase? You are out for a gambling.
Old 9th February 2009, 10:36   #39
BHPian

Helping you decide

Hi,

You may find the answers here in this spreadsheet containing all the features / test report analysis the Tata Safari Petrol and Diesel versions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post1161211

check the spreadsheet for feature-to-feature comparison of the Safari Petrol and diesel - also compare it to other vehciles.

But remember-The Safari Petrol came in at a time when diesel was the non-CRDi version and the engines fitted with a turbo had lag; besides truly underpowered engine (1948TCIC) for the size of the vehicle.

To compare the Tata Safari Petrol now with the 2.2 VTI may reveal that the Safari Diesel has really come good. And I say this despite being a Petrol Exi 4x4 owner for the last 4.5 years

From the point of my purchase decision, the Petrol Safari has done great work for me - I have used it mostly on the highways. I dont think that the spares are expensive (as compared to Diesel) because excepting for the engine spares which you may not touch because it is really good, the rest are in line with the costs of spares of the diesel version. There are some indirect benefits out of the petrol which has kept my vehicle in good condition (see: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post1130592). You get less rattles, the clutch works better, gear shifts easier, acceleration smoother & faster; more importantly you are less worried of low quality diesels on the highways as compared to quality of petrol - ofcourse you can always feel fresh after a long drive as the vibration and clutter of the diesel is absent.

As far as the maintenance, I do the regular maintenance - specifically checking if the dealer has performed the service as listed in the vehicle manual. I have changed the clutch system and the airconditioning cooling unit and ofcourse the first set of tyres after 40000kms. Surprisingly I have not had any electrical problem so far. Therefore I may not support the view that Petrol Safari maintenance is high. In fact I think it has been lesser than what my diesel friends have incurred.

So much so, I still think at this point of time - the VTT is your best bet, simply because I think the Tata Safari is a great VFM SUV today.......Ram
Old 16th February 2009, 18:22   #40
BHPian

Just thinking of a CNG Safari!

Super smooth & quite.

Lets imagine if it is there, what would be your observations?
Old 16th April 2009, 09:14   #41
Rob

Gents
I own a 2002 Safari EXI petrol. I have for the last 7 long years and its run like a dream always, engine is practically faultless, use the right engine oil and right petrol folks, do'nt complain of engine knocking if the wife has got the gas filled in some auto-ricksaw stand and not told you. I have had my share of problems but, now that i think of it, I sincerely believe that there have been times when I have been mis-led by the dealers/the after sales services quality and standard of TATA'a needs looking into. I don't think dealers should be put in charge of after sales service. The quality and standards are somtimes so poor, TATA gets a bad name, and this is Mumbai I am talking about, I wonder how it must be in the smaller towns. I am now resigned to getting small problems attended to myself. Parts are avaliable at the bigger dealers. It is mostly plastic bits and switches I have trouble getting. It is a bit of a problem as not many petrol safari's were sold, but then, I can see parts being a problem for most out-dated imports in the coming years. We're just at the tip of the iceberg!!!. This Indian SUV, well face it folks is a real VFM proposition considering comfort, throw in sound mechanical, and electrical components, I mean lets face it all the imported SUV are over-priced, parts too, and I am sure services are going to suffer with time so you're always better of with a well made Indian product.
I need not say anything about the ride, mileage and comfort factor as I seen most safari owners already agree that it is the best in its class.

Happy and safe driving..!!

Would I buy another TATA product!!?...no, but then, like my uncle says the day you sell you Safari is the day you will regret it!!..and he's know his cars as he's been a auto mechanic all his life....I want to upgrade to a `Beemer'...yep dammed urban yuppie that I am!!......Hey no dream, no life!!!

cheers
Old 16th April 2009, 10:45   #42
BHPian

If your monthly running is more than 2000 kms , go for a diesel safari and you wont regret , other wise petrol would just do fine for you.
And you have 5 options to choose from in diesel and 3 in petrol , so its you who makes the decision however in case you are going for used one, then petrol only.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:24   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
We have a Safari 3.0 l bought in 2002 for family usage and has clocked 1.6L Kms. Even today I love to drive the vehicle and on highways I feel that I am in a commanding position and I usually cruise at 110-120 Kmph normally and i simply love the vehicle. We upgraded from Sierra after owning it for 5 years. Whatever said and done there is constant improvement in quality of the vehicle and we are planning to go for the latest Safari 2.2 VTT with our pleasent experience with the vehicle.Not much of expenditures incurred apart from the normal periodic services and we get around 12-13 kpl FE in mixed driving.
Anna,

2002 only 2 ltr Turbo Intercooled version were sold.

How come you got hold of a 3 ltr in 2002.
Old 16th April 2009, 18:58   #44
BHPian

I think pavan is right and dont mean to hurt , Say sorry pavan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks