Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2022, 12:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice needed | Used Toyota Land Cruiser Prado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavarya74 View Post
The search criteria so far have been directed towards imported Japanese Luxury SUVs.
My preference will be a single owner with about 80,000 km. I also have preferences for colour and interior but I’m willing to overlook them as of now.
I have been in this position and did check a lot of LC200s, Prados and whatnot. Most of these will have very high mileage and only 1 in 10 Prados, maybe a single owner. LC200, chances are that you may still find somewhere as the single owner, but these will be very high mileage cars.

As GTO has advised, buy an Innova or Fortuner and forget everything. If you cannot, start looking at LC200, increase your budget to 60 Plus. You can try in Ludhiana or Chandigarh market. But again, the ones with a single owner and low mileage will be over 1 Cr plus. To give you an idea, I am getting a little more for my 2019 LC-200 than I originally paid to Toyota, single owner with less than 20K

Quote:
Finding an LC Prado from an embassy was my first course of action. I'm not aware of how vehicles are bought from embassies so contacted a dealer who said he had a Prado which is an embassy vehicle. .
Was this offered from Ludhiana? I remember one here, but the seller could not produce the RC. It’s not very easy to get the cars re-registered. Most states demand full Road Tax, and some even GST. Unless you have a clear RC, I will not go via that route.

You also need to note that your parents need something reliable; an LC or Prado or Mitsubishi can make them stand out differently, but at the same time, any failure or breakdown on the way can also be talk of the village
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 13:08   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Endeavour is a good allrounder but will have to look for a 3.2 which again is a hassle.]
This should not be a big issue at all, there are plenty of good ones out there, 100 times easier than finding a Prado worth considering.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 17:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I have been in this position and did check a lot of LC200s, Prados and whatnot. Most of these will have very high mileage and only 1 in 10 Prados, maybe a single owner. LC200, chances are that you may still find somewhere as the single owner, but these will be very high mileage cars.
Yes, it's quite hard to find a single owner Prado. Found one in Jalandhar, dealer informed it had 55,000km on the clock. Called the dealership and found out it had over 1 Lakh km. Searching for a good one is the hardest part. The ones I'm able to find are with dealers and it's not a pleasant experience dealing with them.

Quote:
As GTO has advised, buy an Innova or Fortuner and forget everything. If you cannot, start looking at LC200, increase your budget to 60 Plus. You can try in Ludhiana or Chandigarh market. But again, the ones with a single owner and low mileage will be over 1 Cr plus. To give you an idea, I am getting a little more for my 2019 LC-200 than I originally paid to Toyota, single owner with less than 20K
Innova is not 4WD so it's out of consideration. Because of a high number of suggestions towards Fortuner, asked my grandparents if they were okay with Fortuner and because of the stigma with that vehicle, it was a clear no.
Would love to buy an LC200 but as you said, single-owner vehicles are hard to find that too with low mileage and also original front fascia. Even though extending my budget would get me an LC200 but still running costs are high along with the bad economy. By the way what economy do you get? If it's not that bad I might be able to convince them.

Quote:
Was this offered from Ludhiana? I remember one here, but the seller could not produce the RC. It’s not very easy to get the cars re-registered. Most states demand full Road Tax, and some even GST. Unless you have a clear RC, I will not go via that route.
The dealer I contacted is from Delhi and he's now avoiding my calls so that's also a dead end. I'll try to have the vehicle registered in Chandigarh so have to check out the road tax and registration charges as well.

Quote:
You also need to note that your parents need something reliable; an LC or Prado or Mitsubishi can make them stand out differently, but at the same time, any failure or breakdown on the way can also be talk of the village
From what I have heard, LC and Prados are very reliable if maintained properly. These are over-engineered beasts and I don't think there's much room for breakdowns.
They themselves don't want an ordinary vehicle. These SUVs stand out because of their sheer size and not because of their styling (especially the ones from 2009-2012). And even if their breakdown becomes the talk of the village, well the purchase will also be the talk of the village. So "Mehange shauk".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This should not be a big issue at all, there are plenty of good ones out there, 100 times easier than finding a Prado worth considering.
Yes, the option is worth considering but since Ford has left the market, soon the dealerships will be out too. Along with authorized mechanics and genuine spare parts. Another thing is since the new generation Endeavour is launched in some markets and will soon make its way to India as well, and as soon as it launches, the market will be flooded with used ones. This won't happen with Prado. Prado will still retain its value no matter how many newer generations launch. It will depreciate but there will never be too many for sale.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 11th March 2022 at 17:58. Reason: Mod note attached.
pranavarya74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 18:01   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
we’ve owned two Mahindra Scorpios 2WD back-to-back (2008 and 2013) and we have been fairly impressed with their capabilities and they have served us well.
What changed that once two consecutive 2WD SUV's were competent and today the user requires a 4WD SUV?

Quote:
Innova Crysta is a very comfortable vehicle but it isn't 4WD so not in consideration.
Sheel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 18:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it's quite hard to find a single owner Prado. Found one in Jalandhar, dealer informed it had 55,000km on the clock. Called the dealership and found out it had over 1 Lakh km. Searching for a good one is the hardest part. The ones I'm able to find are with dealers and it's not a pleasant experience dealing with them
https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...er-Prado.html/

There's one for sale on the tbhp classifieds, might be worth checking out. Good luck with your search
Prathiiik is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 18:59   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
asked my grandparents if they were okay with Fortuner and because of the stigma with that vehicle, it was a clear no.
stigma with Fortuner? Usually, people feel pride in owning Fortuner.

Quote:
By the way what economy do you get? If it's not that bad I might be able to convince them.
I always tell, if you have to worry about the mileage, don’t consider that car You can expect around 7-8 Kmpl on LC200.

Quote:
I'll try to have the vehicle registered in Chandigarh so have to check out the road tax and registration charges as well.
Re-Registeration charges in Chandigarh are calculated on the IDV on your insurance. I recollect, it’s 8% of the IDV ( same rates as new vehicle but the value is IDV for tax calculation)

Quote:
LC and Prados are very reliable if maintained properly. These are over-engineered beasts and I don't think there's much room for breakdowns.
Yes, but still these do break. Two of my immediate knowns had problems relating to steering rack. One had issues on suspension too.

Quote:
if their breakdown becomes the talk of the village, well the purchase will also be the talk of the village. So "Mehange shauk".
Have you considered an X5 or something similar from German trio?

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th March 2022 at 19:37.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 19:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What changed that once two consecutive 2WD SUV's were competent and today the user requires a 4WD SUV?
Well, they were competent in the sense they got the work done but were never up to the task. When my grandparents moved here after their retirement, they found that the bolero was the most common vehicle. So they too went to check the bolero but didn't like it and saw the Scorpio there, liked it, and bought it within a week without further consideration or thinking. This happened on both occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...er-Prado.html/
There's one for sale on the tbhp classifieds, might be worth checking out. Good luck with your search
It's a 2014 model with updated fascia which I don't like and also the ad was posted in August last year so it might even be sold by now. But I'll try contacting him. Thanks for the tip

Quote:
stigma with Fortuner? Usually, people feel pride in owning Fortuner.
It's indeed a pride feeling owning a Fortuner but here in Haryana especially rural Haryana, it's widely used by contractors and politicians.

Quote:
I always tell, if you have to worry about the mileage, don’t consider that car You can expect around 7-8 Kmpl on LC200.
I don't consider mileage, I myself get 10kmpl in my Scorpio whereas others get 13-14kmpl. But my grandparents consider it. They have had cars in the past which returned fuel economy worse than 7kmpl but back then fuel costed less than Rs.50.
7-8kmpl is not bad considering what that beast is. I'll try to persuade them towards it but still running costs are higher compared to Prado.

Quote:
Re-Registeration charges in Chandigarh are calculated on the IDV on your insurance. I recollect, it’s 8% of the IDV ( same rates as new vehicle but the value is IDV for tax calculation)
Yea it's somewhere between 6-8%. will have to confirm that.

Quote:
Yes, but still these do break. Two of my immediate knowns had problems relating to steering rack. One had issues on suspension too.
Have you considered an X5 or something similar from German trio?
They are engineered vehicles and vehicles break down. It's an inevitable part of owning a car. Be it imported or domestic. But with LC and Prado you expect the breakdowns to happen rarely and when they do happen sometimes there is an easy fix or sometimes an expensive one. That's just a part of vehicle ownership. I'm also keeping a separate budget for maintainence.
I'm not considering germans because from what I have heard they are not very reliable. And also not very subtle. But I do like the X5 30d msport.

Mod Note - Please pay attention to use Multi-Quote.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th March 2022 at 17:48. Reason: Comments on community deleted.
pranavarya74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 00:25   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..... but here in Haryana especially rural Haryana, it's widely used by contractors and politicians.
With the current Pajero market prices and the cost of maintenance, ease of availability of spares, its same as the scorpio.

I think now I understand your sentiment. Kindof similar in most villages. You need an LC to fill that void. Not Prado, No a Montero, Not a Pajero.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th March 2022 at 17:50. Reason: Quoted text edited
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 02:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:

They are engineered vehicles and vehicles break down. It's an inevitable part of owning a car. Be it imported or domestic. But with LC and Prado you expect the breakdowns to happen rarely and when they do happen sometimes there is an easy fix or sometimes an expensive one. That's just a part of vehicle ownership. I'm also keeping a separate budget for maintainence.
There are guys who arrange spares from Dubai. Prado being a common vehicle there, spares - new and used are available plenty and cheap.
Old 12th March 2022, 09:10   #25
BHPian

Your requirements scream for Kodiaq 4X4. It's luxurious interiors will make your grandparents happy, plus the mileage is an added advantage to convince your family. And the biggest advantage it doesn't have a "stigma" attached to it.

We had the similar requirements as you in October of 2020 and bought a Innova Crysta ZX Diesel. Except for the fact that we maintain a AdBlue bottle(just incase), it served us well even when driving in the rural parts of Andhra. But if I had to buy one now, I would go for a Kodiaq in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it is sold out for 2022. The new VW Tiguan has similar spec and do consider it. There aren't many ladder on frame SUV's in the market and you might have to wait for Scorpio facelift. The hassle for spare parts isn't worth it especially for your grandparents and the down-time will be huge which makes the overall ownership experience unbearable even for a fan-boy. I saw the struggles of my friend who is a huge chevrolet cruze fan-boy and bought a used one, long story short he sold it few months down the line.

Do take a look at used Honda CRV AWD it's a great car and you will find plenty in used car market.
Kanna_8118 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 09:52   #26
BHPian

May I suggest another vehicle?

You can go for Mahindra Alturas G4, it is CKD imported from Korea and manufactured by Ssangyong there. It is more reliable than run-of-the-mill Mahindra, got 4WD, is pretty comfortable and has interiors par with Fortuner.

Moreover it is kinda a rare vehicle as not many people buy Alturas, and you can buy it new. It kinda solves all the problems mentioned in the thread and meets your requirements.

Last edited by Black_Star : 12th March 2022 at 09:55.
Black_Star is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 09:53   #27
BHPian

The Prado has its positives like road presence and build quality. If your priority is 4x4, it is bullet proof but again plenty of options around.

Other than that the main disadvantage is it's soft ride quality it's a nightmare in corners, body roll is so high that it feels like it's going to tip over. Highway rides are going to be bouncy with lot of side to side movement. I am sure you will be able to find better cars even if made in India at your price point.

Interiors are bare bones basic in a Prado just to remind everyone that there is a Lexus available for sale.

Regarding the dealer talk that an embassy car, I highly suspect given the high odo, it is simply too high to be an embassy car, please check the RC carefully.

Just my personal opinion but it does hold its value and is easy to get rid of in case you are not happy.

Last edited by pandabear : 12th March 2022 at 10:04.
Old 12th March 2022, 10:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

I guess this thread should serve as an indication to Toyota about launching something between Fortuner and Land Cruiser. There is a customer segment who just want Fortuner features but wants to differentiate themselves from the Fortuner crowd and do not have the budget for Land Cruiser.

I kind of understand the logic about Legender now. Toyota will slowly detach Legender from Fortuner and place it a premium to cater to this crowd. That makes me thinking. Wouldn't Legender solve your image problem to an extend ? It is still a Fortuner, but looks different from the cheap versions the other guys use.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 12th March 2022 at 10:06.
padmrajravi is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 11:41   #29
BHPian

Okay so as a LC 120 owner I would have told you to buy the car asap. Any LC the 100, 120, 150 or 200. They are amazing.

But I feel that your grandparents owning and driving it might not be the right thing. As everyone else mentions that, it'll be a wiser choice to get a newer car. Parts can be a little hard to find sometimes and trust me Toyota after sales has no clue what to do on these cars. They will just replace and charge you crazy amounts for even the mildest faults.

I know a few LCs out for sale even a beautiful 100 with ch number. A few 150s too. 200s are in the 60 lakh-1cr plus range. Even with 1 lakh kms on the odo.

My car is a 1GR -FE 4.0 v6 and has done 1.6 lakh kms. Only thing I ever got replaced was tyres and a full service including all the oil changes. Drove it to over 10k feet, minus 15 Celsius temperature and over 600 kms non stop. It did not even flinch. I have other cars like a BMW X3 and have had other fully imported SUVs from Japan, but the LC coverted me like no religion ever could.

Attaching a picture of my 120 in some snow this February.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed | Used Toyota Land Cruiser Prado-20220206_162615.jpg  

Last edited by Thegermanbadger : 12th March 2022 at 11:58.
Thegermanbadger is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 12:10   #30
BHPian

Since you are willing to look at Prado's, and they tend to be around 30 - 40 lakhs in the used car market, why not go for the Jeep Wrangler, with used ones starting around 45 - 50 lakhs in Chandigarh and Haryana. Yes, it is nowhere as reliable as the Prado, but its butch, is an excellent 4x4, while also having the exclusivity of owning an internationally sold model. This may be a generalization due to the internet, but I'm sure the Jeeps hold high prestige in the North, with the way older jeeps have been modded and still kept running.

Also, it is a currently sold model, so you would also get spares at least for the time it runs. You could get yourself a Prado and even hopefully an LC200 or 300 in Australia.
TorqueMonster is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks