Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 14:03   #1

Advice needed | Used Toyota Land Cruiser Prado

Greetings to the people of this forum. I have been an avid reader of this forum and always enjoyed reading people’s experiences with new and used cars.

I have been thinking of starting a thread for some time now and now I feel I have a valid topic to discuss.

I live in the rural parts of Loharu, Haryana and I basically belong to a landlord family. Up until now, we’ve owned two Mahindra Scorpios 2WD back-to-back (2008 and 2013) and we have been fairly impressed with their capabilities and they have served us well. The 2008 one we sold back in 2014 and because this area is mostly dry has excessive salt in groundwater, the car was badly rusted and the person who bought it pledged to restore it but soon he died in a car accident in that vehicle or so my information goes. The 2013 one is a white VLX with 1,10,000 km and now this one is badly rusted as well. It has had cosmetic work done to it 4 to 5 years ago and as of now, it doesn’t seem repairable. The A-pillar is rusted along with all the doors and floorboard and God knows about the rust spots under the plastic cladding. I also got all 4 control arms changed and that was eye-opening as all 4 were badly rusted with rust holes big enough to put your fingers through. The car was always worked on at authorised dealerships at regular intervals. But the car has troubles and we’re willing to retire it and are now looking for another SUV.

The search criteria so far have been directed towards imported Japanese Luxury SUVs. Specifically, Pajero SFX, Montero (post 2011). Land Cruiser Prado (150 Series) and Land cruiser (100 series).

The search started a week ago and the Mitsubishis are out of the game entirely because of their spare part availability. The car will be for my grandparents and will be driven by our drivers. I myself will be moving to Australia within the next 3 months for my studies but still, spare parts are still a concern. And also, it's hard to find a good Montero. Pajero SFXs can be found around the Chandigarh area or around Delhi NCR but I’m keeping that option in reserve in case other options are not viable.

Bringing me to LC Prado, I test drove one in Delhi yesterday and I have to say man is that something. I have driven Scorpio extensively and Fortuners and Endeavours occasionally but nothing comes close to it. The one I test drove was for sale with a dealer I found on OLX. The car is 2010 with 1,60,000 km. The mileage is on the higher side but still, I wanted to give it a try. On phone, the dealer admitted that the car was as original as it could be but on inspection, it wasn’t even close to it. All doors were repainted along with the bumpers, fenders, side skirts and bonnet. The dealer agreed to have repainted the bumpers and side skirts but had no idea about the rest. The rear door was not repainted so that the car doesn’t look repainted. Nice try. The Interior was okay, not good. Driver and passenger seat had leather tear along with visible dust spots on all windows and few panels were even loose. On the mechanical side of things, there was a visible oil drip from the oil pan, front shocks were leaking, no injector work was done which is necessary on the 1KD-FTV engines. EGR was definitely stuck open as the idle was rough. Brakes hadn’t been replaced and the dealer failed to show me any service records. While on the test drive, the car definitely didn’t show its age, not even a bit. If you told me, it was driven 50,000 km, I would have believed you. The brakes seemed sharp but with the age, I think they would be nearing replacement. There was a weird kick from the rear, similar to Scorpio which I felt was weird, but my diagnostics says, there was something wrong with the rear suspension too. The KDSS was working but the movement was too slow. The steering was definitely lighter than the Scorpio and Fortuners I have driven. The seating position makes you feel like a king, window sills are high but still, the view is good. It was peak rush hour in Gurugram so the test drive was short. The car was also driven through wet concrete which could be seen by dried concrete in the wheel wells. The tyres it was running on were old and dried out. I liked the car but this particular one wasn’t looked after and the dealer was quoting too high and wasn’t open to negotiations. The car is still for sale on OLX and the same car is being offered by three different dealers. My conclusion is don’t go for that car unless you can negotiate a fair bit and try to avoid that dealer.

I haven’t had any luck with any other cars but my mind is leaning towards Prado. Mainly because my father owns a 120 series Prado in Australia and he likes it a lot. In fact, the whole of Australia loves Prado.

Now here is where I need your help. If you know any dealer or person selling any of the aforementioned cars, please let me know. Your help will be highly appreciated. My preference will be a single owner with about 80,000 km. I also have preferences for colour and interior but I’m willing to overlook them as of now. Also please advise me on any other vehicle I should consider. The main selling points are reliability, robustness and occupant safety. Fortuner and Endeavour are not being considered only because of their popularity.
Below I’m mentioning a few issues I have researched of LC Prado (150 series)
• Cracking of Injector seats
• Inner guard cracking
• Rust on door bottoms
• Seepage in steering racks
• EGR stuck open
• Lower control arm bushings.
Apart from these, if you know any issues I should consider please advise me and if anyone else is considering a Land Cruiser Prado, do visit Prado Point and check on FOURBY4DIESEL on YouTube. They can be your primary sources of information.

With this, I’ll conclude. If it is posted in the wrong section, mods please advise me on moving it to the right location. Also please forgive me for any mistakes I committed while writing this knowingly or unknowingly.

Thank You
Pranav Arya

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th March 2022 at 08:38. Reason: Minor edit in last para.
pranavarya74 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 19:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Advice needed | Used Toyota Land Cruiser Prado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavarya74 View Post
The car will be for my grandparents and will be driven by our drivers. I myself will be moving to Australia within the next 3 months for my studies
This itself is reason enough not to venture out on Prado route, very few genuine one's are out there and even if you find a genuine one, it would have run minimum lakh or lakh and half. At this age and odo reading no matter what these vehicles will need some upkeep, yes Toyota dealer would be able to help you for even the older vehicles, but do you really want such a vehicle to be parked for your grand parents use?

I would suggest you look at younger SUV type vehicles that are available in the market. Yes a Prado does have a huge on road presence, but even a new Safari or XUV's would be a better pick and those comes with warranty.
Jaggu is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 20:24   #3
BHPian

Since your grandparents will be using the vehicle, I would suggest to avoid going pre owned route all together. You can wait for the new Scorpio or have a look at new Safari.
Old 10th March 2022, 20:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This itself is reason enough not to venture out on Prado route, very few genuine one's are out there and even if you find a genuine one, it would have run minimum lakh or lakh and half. At this age and odo reading no matter what these vehicles will need some upkeep, yes Toyota dealer would be able to help you for even the older vehicles, but do you really want such a vehicle to be parked for your grand parents use?

I would suggest you look at younger SUV type vehicles that are available in the market. Yes a Prado does have a huge on road presence, but even a new Safari or XUV's would be a better pick and those comes with warranty.
My grandparents owned a tata safari in 2001, theyre still reminescent of it and i dont think the newer crossover holds up to the name. Also the car will see a lot of offroad and backroad driving. Body on frame SUV is must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
Since your grandparents will be using the vehicle, I would suggest to avoid going pre owned route all together. You can wait for the new Scorpio or have a look at new Safari.
Already own a Mahindra and to be honest, were quite troubled with the way they are. So no new Mahindra in any foreseable future.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th March 2022 at 05:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 10th March 2022, 21:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

You should reconsider your opinion about the Fortuner. This requirement can only be met by a Fortuner. A 2022 Fortuner will be better than 12 year old Prado in ny opinion. It comes with the same engine that is used in current generation Prado. . It does not come with KDSS, but atleast your grandparents don't have to worry about hunting spare parts for a decade old imported car.
padmrajravi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 22:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
You should reconsider your opinion about the Fortuner. This requirement can only be met by a Fortuner. A 2022 Fortuner will be better than 12 year old Prado in ny opinion. It comes with the same engine that is used in current generation Prado. . It does not come with KDSS, but atleast your grandparents don't have to worry about hunting spare parts for a decade old imported car.
I understand your point and even considered Fortuner but Fortuner has kind of a bad reputation here. Fortuner is considered a contractor's car here. Other than that spare parts might be a problem for Prado but I consider DPF issues of newer Toyota models to be worse. Also, 1KD might be one of the last best diesel engines from Toyota.
A 12-year-old Prado is not a problem, the problem is finding one. It is also far more robust than a Fortuner. KDSS is more of a luxury feature than a necessity.
pranavarya74 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 22:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
All valid points that are swept away by the OP's key criteria below

Quote:
Fortuner and Endeavour are not being considered only because of their popularity.
Spaced Out is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 22:15   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is also far more robust than a Fortuner. KDSS is more of a luxury feature than a necessity.
Well that statement is true if you do a KDSS delete and go for a manual swaybar. A Faulty KDSS will cause issues like leaning to one side.

The 150 is extremely reliable, however if you get an abused vehicle, your grandparents will have trouble maintaining it. An old Fortuner is a better bet from a reliability standpoint due to parts availability and easy servicability.

If you are set on a LC, try looking for Embassy vehicles, they are maintained quite well
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 22:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well that statement is true if you do a KDSS delete and go for a manual swaybar. A Faulty KDSS will cause issues like leaning to one side.

The 150 is extremely reliable, however if you get an abused vehicle, your grandparents will have trouble maintaining it. An old Fortuner is a better bet from a reliability standpoint due to parts availability and easy servicability.

If you are set on a LC, try looking for Embassy vehicles, they are maintained quite well
Finding an LC Prado from an embassy was my first course of action. I'm not aware of how vehicles are bought from embassies so contacted a dealer who said he had a Prado which is an embassy vehicle. He quoted me a price which is quite low compared to what I'm finding on the internet but on the other hand that conversation took place 20 days ago and every time I call him I get the same response, just give me another week. He hasn't shown me the car yet.

If anyone can guide me through the process of buying an embassy vehicle, that'll be a major help. Also, there's not much information posted on registering embassy cars. The one I could find is almost 10 years old, so don't know the latest additions.
pranavarya74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 22:27   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finding an LC Prado from an embassy was my first course of action. I'm not aware of how vehicles are bought from embassies so contacted a dealer who said he had a Prado which is an embassy vehicle. He quoted me a price which is quite low compared to what I'm finding on the internet but on the other hand that conversation took place 20 days ago and every time I call him I get the same response, just give me another week. He hasn't shown me the car yet.

If anyone can guide me through the process of buying an embassy vehicle, that'll be a major help. Also, there's not much information posted on registering embassy cars. The one I could find is almost 10 years old, so don't know the latest additions.
you have to keep checking individual embassy websites

Eg Australia : https://india.embassy.gov.au/ndli/auction.html
USA : https://in.usembassy.gov/embassy-con...ates-auctions/

Similarly there is UN auctions which have LCs coming from time to time. I do not know any broker who can help you, but Delhi members may know more.

I have bid in Auctions at US embassy as well as UN way back in 2014-2015. Its fairly simple. you submit your bids and wait.

In some cases (eg USA) they had a shouting bid match. A LC 2006 went for a whopping 18L
But shouting bids usually get more moeny to the seller due to excitement.
tsk1979 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 22:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
you have to keep checking individual embassy websites

Eg Australia : https://india.embassy.gov.au/ndli/auction.html
USA : https://in.usembassy.gov/embassy-con...ates-auctions/

Similarly there is UN auctions which have LCs coming from time to time. I do not know any broker who can help you, but Delhi members may know more.

I have bid in Auctions at US embassy as well as UN way back in 2014-2015. Its fairly simple. you submit your bids and wait.

In some cases (eg USA) they had a shouting bid match. A LC 2006 went for a whopping 18L
But shouting bids usually get more moeny to the seller due to excitement.
Can't thank you enough for the links. Will try to work out the process to buy from embassies even further. Still not sure about the pending taxes and registration but that can also be worked out.
Old 10th March 2022, 23:41   #12
BHPian

Toyota Landcruiser Prado is definitely a Vehicle you will fall in love at first sight, forget about ride. But given all that you are hell bent on it, just consider the balance life left out of it given draconian rule of 10/15 year lifespan for cars.
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 08:19   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice needed | Used Toyota Land Cruiser Prado

The sheer competence levels of cars from mainstream brands in the 20 - 40 lakh segment has drastically improved in the last ten years. I would any day buy a newer SUV officially sold in India than a 10-year old import with over 1 lakh km on the odometer. I would buy a Fortuner, Endeavour - even XUV700 - over an old Prado.

Quote:
Fortuner has kind of a bad reputation here. Fortuner is considered a contractor's car here. Other than that spare parts might be a problem for Prado but I consider DPF issues of newer Toyota models to be worse. Also, 1KD might be one of the last best diesel engines from Toyota. It is also far more robust than a Fortuner.
You seem to have made up your mind on the Prado and are eliminating the other cars for frivolous reasons.

Quote:
The car will be for my grandparents and will be driven by our drivers. I myself will be moving to Australia within the next 3 months for my studies
1. For your grandparents, something like an Innova Crysta with captain seats will be thrice-as-superior as any of the other options you are considering.

2. You're off to Australia, but are going to leave the maintenance headaches of an old import to them.

I would suggest you to buy a used Prado in Australia since you love it so much, and get a more appropriate vehicle for your grandparents here.
GTO is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 08:50   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The main issues of an imported SUV would be parts availability, and reparability. The Prado might be slightly better on that aspect than the Mitsibishi's, but no where close to what Indian cars can offer. You also mention the car is for your grandparents and you live in a rural village. This is all the more reason to stay away from an imported, decade old, 1L plus run car.

If 4WD or snob value isnt a concern, I'd suggest get them an Innova Crysta. Will serve them for years to come. Has decent ground clearance, excellent comfort. OR look for a used Fortuner.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 11:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Toyota Landcruiser Prado is definitely a Vehicle you will fall in love at first sight, forget about ride. But given all that you are hell bent on it, just consider the balance life left out of it given draconian rule of 10/15 year lifespan for cars.
I'm not hellbent on Prado. So far I have driven only one example which wasn't well maintained but drove well. And to be honest I did fall in love with it. Regarding the balance life, a well-maintained example can easily serve us for the next 10 years which is more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The sheer competence levels of cars from mainstream brands in the 20 - 40 lakh segment has drastically improved in the last ten years. I would any day buy a newer SUV officially sold in India than a 10-year old import with over 1 lakh km on the odometer. I would buy a Fortuner, Endeavour - even XUV700 - over an old Prado.
I too would buy a newer vehicle but the Fortuner is overpriced and the ride quality isn't that good (personal opinion). Endeavour is a good allrounder but will have to look for a 3.2 which again is a hassle. Test drove the XUV-700, it didn't inspire confidence. It sure will be good for long highway journeys but I don't think it will be able to handle the harsher terrain. Plus Mahindra has a bad record with electronics and that car is full of it.

I'm not a Prado fanboy in any way. I personally like Mitsubishis. Super Select Baby. But Mitsubishi is no longer active in India and genuine parts are hard to source. If this wasn't the case I would have bought a Montero last month itself. The search for a vehicle began with Pajero SFX and Montero that too last month. It is recently that I started to consider a Prado.

Innova Crysta is a very comfortable vehicle but it isn't 4WD so not in consideration.

Mod Note - Please use Multi Quote Function and Quote only releavent portion. Thanks.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th March 2022 at 11:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks