Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 17:08   #1
BHPian

Low Lying Area - What Car?

Hi All,

I am looking for a car. I have been reading many threads in this forum. But I have some specific expectation as my location is low lying. Please suggest your views.

Driving Pattern
20 to 25 KM per day and 200 to 225 KM in a week
Long drive of 600 KM Once in a two month
90% city driving & Self driven
Wife drives to office 2 KM apart from my office & sometime returns directly to home

Key Criteria

My home is located in low lying area. Hence, during heavy rains, roads will be flooded. I am thinking to buy a car which has higher floor so that I can drive the car even there is a foot or 1.5 foot of water.
Comfortable travel for a family of 3 adults (excluding driver), One 4 year kid and a 9 month infant
Pleasing Interiors
Budget: 7 to 9 Lacs

Looking for some choices from team bhp experts

Thanks, Vanchi

Note from Support Team - Please do not use formatting while typing out your posts. Also copying directly from MS Word shows up formatting. We advise you to read the rules and regulations before you start posting. Since this is your 1st post i have edited it.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 19th June 2007 at 21:09. Reason: removed formatting
Old 20th June 2007, 04:10   #2
BHPian

I think SX4 would be tailormade for you with its high ground clearance, low maintenance and enough grunt to pull through floods!
Old 20th June 2007, 06:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd pick an SUV to be on a safe side... definatly the SX4 is the best sedan to go with in your case... Innova would be ideal for you as it will tackle the rains well and also more relaxing to drive in the city compared to other SUV's in this price range.
Old 20th June 2007, 09:08   #4
BHPian

With 1.5 feet water, Scorpio! Excellent ground clearence and Big fat tyres....
Old 20th June 2007, 09:11   #5
BHPian

If you would be using it a lot in the city then an SUV might not be that ideal. You could instead go for a Fusion(198mm) or an SX4 ZXi(190mm). These two have the highest possible ground clearances among cars and would be ideal for your case. In case you want an SUV then the best for city conditions would be Scorpio with its high seating.

Of course more than the ground clearance I think you would have to think about the cars which have a higher airdam and also you might have to modify the muffler to point upwards(maybe) if water logging is really that bad in your area.
Old 20th June 2007, 09:12   #6
BHPian

I also think you should go for scorpio.. Fits into your budget very nicely. You dont have to worry about flooding
Old 20th June 2007, 09:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had a bolero during the floods in early 2006. About 80 cars in my colony were affected & had to be towed away for repairs, only my bolero was able to start after draining the water inside the fuel tank. Where do you stay ?
Old 20th June 2007, 09:44   #8
BHPian

I stay in Ram Nagar, Madipakkam.
Old 20th June 2007, 09:55   #9
BHPian

Is groud clearance correct parameter? Do I need to think about any other parameter like engine position or as metioned by herculesksp, higer air dam? I was going by ground clearance, but would like to check with experts.

Innova's ground clearence is 168. Hence I was looking at cars with more ground clearence.
Old 20th June 2007, 10:33   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you are looking for a car that will survive the floods, avoid any car with a good number of electronics : SX4 and most sedans included. I can only think of the Indigo as a sedan which would have the least damage in this situation.

But a smarter choice would be the Bolero, Scorpio or Tavera. 1.5 feet of water will pose no issues to them.
Old 20th June 2007, 10:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Vanchi. You'v got the following choices
1.Safari
2.Bolero
3.Scorpio

and i would rank is just as i have since that is what i feel based on the pricing, space, handling etc. There is lots and lots of info available on these vehicles. You just need to check out the threads.
All the BEst.

PS. Please dont go for a sedan or even fusion. Though they have more "technical" 'ground clearance than the ones mentioned here, the platform is muc lower making it difficult for moving thorough water
Old 20th June 2007, 10:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

BTw, it might take another 20 years for the next flood to come, so chill man & get a good car of your choice. Forget the floods
Old 20th June 2007, 11:51   #13
BHPian

If you are uncomfortable driving around in an SUV and need a solution for the floods at the same time, I think cars like Ford Fusion and Fiat Adventure could be given a think. Afterall, the Suv you buy will actually serve its purpose only during those 3-4 odd months of the wet season.Fusion and Adventure are somewhere in between regular sedans and SUVs/MUVs, so your life will be easier during the other 9 months of the year.SX4 is the only proper sedan that fits the bill as well.
Old 20th June 2007, 12:20   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanchi_s View Post
* 90% city driving & Self driven
* Wife drives to office 2 KM apart from my office & sometime returns directly to home
* My home is located in low lying area. Hence, during heavy rains, roads will be flooded. I am thinking to buy a car which has higher floor so that I can drive the car even there is a foot or 1.5 foot of water.
* Budget: 7 to 9 Lacs
vanchi, I've mentioned your criteria as points above.

Based on these, i would suggest a Scorpio based on the following reasons.
* City driving : With the EPS its quite easy to maneouvre in city limits, and shouldnt pose any major problems. It also takes up only as much space as a saloon.
* Wife can also drive the Scorp. I have seen lady driven Scorpios' on more than one occassion here in Bangalore.
* Suitable ground clearance to wade through flooded regions.
* The base model or DX should easily fall into your budget.

Hope that helps sort out the confusion.
Old 20th June 2007, 12:27   #15
BHPian

Scorpio seems to be a good bet but I remember Ford Fiesta as a car being advertised as customised for Indian conditions and also surviving flood like situations. If you are interested in cars, do look at Fiesta as well as Fusion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks