Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2022, 03:54   #16
BHPian

re: New Car Purchase Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj346 View Post

I'm stuck on the engine power/torque cause I drive a 1.6 L Vento which is superb fun to drive and hugs the road when cornering uphill at even 60/70 kmph. However, I need to move to smaller car with more ground clearance.

Thanks,
Ajay.

I believe everyone else has mentioned a lot of great options, but since you’re looking for something fun to drive and are coming from the Vento, I feel some of the sub-4m options may not necessarily feel like an upgrade. I would suggest you should also checkout the Nissan Kicks 1.3 Turbo. You will really enjoy the engine in that car, and it also has pretty sorted driving dynamics with great ride quality. It’s obviously not a great seller and so even though it’s a much more expensive car, it should fall in your budget of 13 lakh rupees after discounts. That 1.3 turbo motor might be a solid pick to have in your final fossil fuel powered car if you enjoy driving.

Another option - since you like the Nexon and see yourself moving to an EV after 4-5 years, why not stretch your budget and just get the Nexon EV Max as a long term buy? I haven’t done the math, but it might make economic sense as you won’t have to take the depreciation hit after just 4-5 years on whatever internal combustion engined car you chose to buy now. Cars are only getting more expensive with inflation, and with the possibility of electric adoption becoming more mainstream, you might end up taking a harder depreciation hit when you sell a fossil fuel powered car 5-or-so years down the line. On the contrary, if EV battery prices continue to go down, this might not be a feasible choice. But we will have to see how EV battery prices do against overall inflation and rising car prices. Lastly, the extended range on the Max should hopefully be enough to not give you range anxiety, unless you do a lot of 400km+ road trips.

Last edited by Abhinav667 : 29th July 2022 at 04:02.
Abhinav667 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 05:26   #17
KPR
BANNED

Vento is a difficult car to replace in 2022 as the focus in a car has shifted towards feature gimmicks rather than driver centric approach. My choices would be a Skoda Kushaq 1.0 Active or Active peace, XUV300 diesel and WRV diesel (Honda for peace of mind). Nexon design lines are crude as compared to a Vento. Rear seat discomfort will be felt in highways owing to high GC of it. But take a long TD of these cars. Please don't compare any car to your existing one and choose a car for what it is to avoid disappointment.
Old 29th July 2022, 06:52   #18
BANNED

After driving a solid Vento, nothing from Maruti, Hyundai and Kia will satisfy you! At your budget, Nexon diesel is the only worthy one. Only downer is AMT for those looking for a proper automatic.
Old 29th July 2022, 07:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Vento is a difficult car to replace in 2022 as the focus in a car has shifted towards feature gimmicks rather than driver centric approach. My choices would be a Skoda Kushaq 1.0 Active or Active.
It's so ironic to hear that we are finding it difficult to replace good cars, with equivalent priced ones. As a society we are expected to be progressive, but the car market seems to be quite regressive. It's quite sad to see this.

But then we have to make the most from our options. If the OP can go for 1.5 tsi, that is any day superior, tsi 1.0 is at best a decent compromise on a tight budget, privoded one can live with niggles, surprises and service quality.

All the best man, for your quest for a new car at the peak of the seller's market phase.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 07:24   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
It's so ironic to hear that we are finding it difficult to replace good cars, with equivalent priced ones. As a society we are expected to be progressive, but the car market seems to be quite regressive. It's quite sad to see this.

But then we have to make the most from our options. If the OP can go for 1.5 tsi, that is any day superior, tsi 1.0 is at best a decent compromise on a tight budget, privoded one can live with niggles, surprises and service quality.

All the best man, for your quest for a new car at the peak of the seller's market phase.
Considering the falling value of the Indian rupee, rise in input costs, stricter emission protocols and the general increase in car prices globally, a 10-lakh car 5 years ago would cost close to 15-lakhs now. (With hardly any difference in specs but maybe a facelift or two to justify major price hikes)

Last edited by itsmeparvathy9 : 29th July 2022 at 07:27.
Old 29th July 2022, 07:27   #21
BANNED

Quote:

For example, the price of a Renault Kiger RXT CVT skyrocketed from Rs.8.62 lakhs ex-showroom at launch to Rs. 9.82 lakhs ex-showroom today with hardly any major feature addons. Yes, car prices at launch are introductory but a massive 1 lakh plus price increase on a sub 10 lakh car is outrageous.

Last edited by itsmeparvathy9 : 29th July 2022 at 07:33.
Old 29th July 2022, 09:41   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: New Car Purchase Decisions

I go to car showrooms regularly with my Father. Just to see. And both of us are repeatedly subjected to deep shock when confronted with car prices these days.

Two years of pandemic havoc and supply chain chaps and semi conductor chip mayhem. Now the absolutely arbitrary orders of the NGT with its maniacal dictatorial fiats and bans on our dear old well maintained private cars. Then of course the Big Auto Lobby and Government Nexus.

But then, what other earthly recourse does a common tax paying man have, but to pay the exorbitant prices (and the usurious taxes) for mediocre product, with his already taxed earnings, if he wants a new car? And of course pay more tax when he fuels it up for his on going usage and to drive it on our non existent (supposedly road tax funded) surfaces.

Sounds morbid but at this rate the only release we common folks have is the ‘final’ one, beyond the pale, on the other side of the veil, into that great big scrapheap in the sky where there are no more taxes and/ or no means of paying them.

(Due credits to R K Laxman’s evergreen topical depictions)
Attached Thumbnails
New Car Purchase Decisions-ce9f6ec375464681916f6bcde2f765c5.jpeg  

New Car Purchase Decisions-10d9a27fe615456ba04bcfd777ac645d.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th July 2022 at 09:55. Reason: Addons
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 14:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Part of the reason is shortage of chips plus the pandemic. Even my friend in Australia, recently bought a dealer owned BMW 3 series, he was advised to go for the last years variant than the newest launch as the latest 3 series had lesser in cabin features compared to the outgoing version owing to the chip shortage.

And as far as India is concerned, part of the mistake is also of the Indian mentality where it becomes extremely difficult for car manufacturers to focus on the core of the vehicle first and then the creature comforts. Our economy is more influenced by the initial cost of any product rather than the long term cost. eg. the earlier 2011 Polo that I had, the discs were never replaced till I sold it, and the first time the brake pads required replacement was after about 90 or 95000 kms. The clutch worked flawlessly till the end. In my current 2018 Vento, the brake pads wear out like clockwork every 30 to 35000 Kms and the brake discs about 60 to 70000 kms. No doubt, they've become extremely cheap in cost, upto Hondas and Marutis level but this is what the public at large wants. Look at what Honda had to do. I can no longer say that Honda enjoys the same premium image because they themselves were forced to lower costs in everything to generate volumes. People just dont appreciate a vehicle which ages well. They want something cheaper which lasts them their first few years of ownership and then they just sell it off. Every product is shifting to a more use and throw rather than a age like wine mentality.
Racer911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 14:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj346 View Post
Also test drove the Kia Carens but found it too underpowered, 2 gear was not up to the task of going uphill at slow speeds, had to even down shift to 1st when going over a speed-breaker slowly. The sales person admitted to this aspect. Thus ruled out.,
Does the Karens have a turbo petrol engine? These tend to be a bit laggy on the lower gears. That said, the turbo petrol engines are mostly tuned for efficiency and low emissions these days. The fact that it cannot do uphills in 2nd gear is not enough to conclude that it is underpowered. I drive a 1.0L 115 BHP turbo petrol Octavia, and I have the same experience in the lower gears as described by you, but once you shift through the gears, the turbo kicks in. Just watch the revs to see that you don't end up going below 1200 RPM. If you upshift too early, you'll find it galactically slow. When I'm cruising on the motorways, at 110 km/h, I don't even downshift to 5th, for overtakes, as the power is available on tap there, and it doesn't feel laggy at all. My suggestion is to book another test drive with the Karens, and try it in varying conditions, including a high speed run.

Last edited by supermax : 3rd August 2022 at 14:48.
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 14:44   #25

Dear all ,with a lot of difficulty I have finally found a way to post on team bhp. Hope this gets posted and I get some suggestions for the dilemma I am in regarding buying a new car.

Currently I am owning a 2011 etios with which I have not had any major issues so far. I have only driven about 85,000km so far.

I want to buy a new automatic SUV and not a sedan because I am 52 and have a back pain making it difficult to get in and get out of a sedan in future. Need a new car( without selling etios) which should serve my present small family of 3 for the next 6yrs maybe with a reasonable resale value, after which I wish to switch over to EV.
My budget is about 18 lakhs.
Kushaq has been at my heart but as I am living in a small town I am not courageous enough to go for it considering the the service facilities and by chance an epc issue where I cannot afford to get stranded in an unknown town and also its resale after 5, 6yrs .
I did not like the looks of nexon ,new brezza,venue or xuv300.
Is it wise to wait for urban cruiser face lift. Only Toyota, MS and Kia have their service centers in my place.
Looking forward to your valuable suggestions. Thanks.
Old 15th August 2022, 14:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinni View Post

I did not like the looks of nexon ,new brezza,venue or xuv300.
Is it wise to wait for urban cruiser face lift. Only Toyota, MS and Kia have their service centers in my place.
Not sure if Toyota is planning on a Brezza rebrand. This might depend on sales of the Hyryder and an in any case will look exactly like the Brezza. I personally cant recommend the Sonet as both the looks and the handling is not to my liking.
Do check out the Citroen C3 for the suspension and it should be enough for 3 people and you will end up saving a couple of lakhs and switch faster to an EV.
Abhisheknott is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 16:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhisheknott View Post
Not sure if Toyota is planning on a Brezza rebrand. This might depend on sales of the Hyryder and an in any case will look exactly like the Brezza. I personally cant recommend the Sonet as both the looks and the handling is not to my liking.
Do check out the Citroen C3 for the suspension and it should be enough for 3 people and you will end up saving a couple of lakhs and switch faster to an EV.
Thanks for your suggestion.

I do not have a citroen showroom or its service center nearby. Let me wait and see. Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 00:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinni View Post

Given your budget is 18 Lakhs, I think you can look at cars from a segment higher than the Urban Cruiser. You seem fairly happy with your Etios and Toyota, so you might want to check out the Toyota Hyryder. I imagine the mild-hybrid version should fall in your budget and will likely meet your requirements. You can also consider the Grand Vitara, which is essentially the same car with a Suzuki badge and built at the Toyota factory too. The only downside I see in these cars, based on what we’ve seen with the XL6 facelift and the new Brezza is the K15C engine in the mild-hybrid spec, which might feel slightly underpowered by segment standards. So if you’re looking for something even slightly exciting to drive, then you might want to look at other options.

Some other great options that fall in your budget, besides the Kushaq:

- Kia Seltos HTK Plus IMT/HTX IVT

Both the Diesel and Petrol clutchless-manual versions of the Seltos are priced sub-18 lakh on-road in the mid-level HTK Plus trim. Depending on your running, go for the Petrol or Diesel. Although with the Diesel, you might want to be vary of DPF issues that come with all BS6 Diesels.

There’s also the Seltos HTX Petrol CVT that’s a little over 18-lakhs on-road, which might be worth consideration.

- Nexon EV

Since you’re interested in EVs and are planning to keep your Etios too, it might make sense to consider the Nexon EV. It’ll be the perfect daily run-about and will save you the expense of upgrading again in 5-6 years. With the Etios in your garage, I do not imagine the limited range of an EV will be as much of a problem, as you can always fall back on the Etios if a longer road-trip ever comes up.
Abhinav667 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:57   #29

Thank you for your suggestions. There is no adequate infrastructure for EVs in the place where I stay . I have decided to wait for Automatic urban cruiser facelift, hoping that it would have a better looks than brezza. Planning to sell it after 4 or 5 years and then go for an EV compact SUV. Planning to lower my budget to 11 or 12 lakhs for now. Once again thank you for your valuable suggestions.
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:42   #30

I am considering buying a new car for my partner. Following are the criteria:

Budget: 10-15 lacs(can go up or down by 2-3 if needed)
Usage: less than 5k kms yearly (she doesnt drive and would learn and has bare minimum city usage, hopefully 1 occasional highway trip in a year)
Fuel type: petrol
Other requirements: strong build, automatic, prefers a hatch or sedan open to csuv too, easy to manoveur and handle, has a linear accelaration(definite no turbo petrols considering she drives really slow and will continue to do). We have a pet and need a car with foldable seats.
Options considered:
Nissan magnite (rejected looks wise)
Virtus (rejected for it being too peppy engine, imagine that being a flaw :P, fit and finish not too the liking)
Slavia: (rejected -seat comfort and height not working well)
Honda city 5th gen: loved it, only con is that the back seat doesn't fold, is it difficult to manage in ruckus city traffic.
Jazz: super practical and checks all boxes (will it being end of its life affect in the future) looks wise honda city is just so much better.

Should we test drive mg astor? What are other cars that could be considered?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks