Maruti Grand Vitara Mild Hybrid 55 45.08%
Kia Sonet Diesel 57 46.72%
Other (please specify in your post) 10 8.20%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2022, 19:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Mild Hybrid vs Diesel dilemma | Maruti Grand Vitara vs Kia Sonet

70 km per day with 60% in heavy traffic - just try the math on switching to EV. I believe you might be able to save 5L + on fuel in 5 years. Add the savings on maintenance of diesel car to it.
Test drive Nexon EV or ZVS and I guess you will love it.

Last edited by enj0y_ride : 3rd September 2022 at 19:21.
enj0y_ride is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 20:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad47 View Post
F
1. Tata Nexon (Diesel): Wife did not like the looks of the car. Kid wants a Blue car, and the blue on Nexon is simply not appealing.
2. XUV 300: Outdated by now
3. Grand Vitara / Hyryder.
Knowing your requirements and usage pattern, I would have chosen XUV300 with punchier engine as compared to the above selection. The interiors are acceptable.
Since you have concerned of safety as well, so XUV300 is no brainer. If waiting for few months is an option, please look for refreshed XUV300 with higher tune diesel (4D15) or Gas (G12) engines. I can vouch the fact that these engines are much more advance than competitors.

Only downside of XUV300 is the small boot space than competitor.

Thanks
UD
Old 3rd September 2022, 21:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
You should drive Sonet GTX+ Diesel AT more. Drive it back on back with any other contenders from other manufacturers and the answer will become more and more clearer. There is no match to that engine and gearbox combo in that price range.

Your drive is predominantly in city which kind of mitigates the lesser safety rating as average speed within city will be lesser. We have Sonet GTX+ Diesel auto in the family and there no qualms.

Having said that, please note that mileage of Sonet diesel is on comparatively lower side. You should expect 12-14 kmpl in moderate traffic with AC on.

An out of the box suggestion may be Nexon EV you may wanna dig around.
I test drove the manual one, will probably take a test drive of the automatic one also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
70 km per day with 60% in heavy traffic - just try the math on switching to EV. I believe you might be able to save 5L + on fuel in 5 years. Add the savings on maintenance of diesel car to it.
Test drive Nexon EV or ZVS and I guess you will love it.
EVs are out of budget unfortunately. I understand the running cost will be much lower in long run, but initial capital cost is very high. Need at min 18L for a decent model.

Update
Today I went to a different showroom, as the dealer near me was refusing PDI when I enquired about payment steps. I am not giving them money (if I buy a Kia) without PDI.
Now we looked into the Seltos HTK+ iMT. Liked it. Missing some features compared to the Sonet GTX (especially the auto dimming IRVM, damn it Kia, my 6 year old mid variant i20 had it) and the premium sound system, but its solves the Sonet feeling cramped issue. Totally confused now.
nomad47 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 00:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I test drove the manual one, will probably take a test drive of the automatic one also.
Now we looked into the Seltos HTK+ iMT.
You will be living with the choice you make today for a foreseeable future. My suggestion will be to make the choice based on gearbox rather than the make of the car in this case.

I haven't driven iMT. So I am not qualified to make a comment on that. But what I am pretty sure is the pedigree of torque converter that's working with diesel mill in both Sonet and Seltos. We have both these cars in family in diesel auto variant with a cumulative running of around 90k kms. And these cars just elevate the whole experience. It's a shame that Kia played with the structure on an otherwise perfect car.

Car on car, Seltos rides a little better than Sonet and is a little roomier. Sonet springs up the surprise by gobbling in more luggage as compared to Seltos if you cover the boot with parcel tray.

Owing to the fab experience that we have with these cars, my pick will still be the auto transmission. This engine gearbox combo is unchallenged in its territory.

I am in the market myself for the same segment of cars. So I can understand the enigma that you are going through. Good luck and keep us posted with what you decide.
headbanger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 07:13   #20
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have a similar dilemma, but it is with regards to the Hybrid Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara/ Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder and the Kia Sonet Diesel Automatic.
the hybrid is less powerful but extremely fuel efficient in the cities as it relies on EV mode in slow-moving traffic but the Diesel cars are more fuel efficient on the highway as the hybrids tend to run on either hybrid mode or petrol only mode on highway cruising speeds.
Moreover the price difference between the Hybrid Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara/ Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder and the Kia Sonet Diesel Automatic is another factor which comes into play as well.
The comparison between the mild Hybrid and the diesel makes more sense when you compare prices assuming the mild Hybrid is priced similar to the Diesel Kia Sonet.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 15:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to carefully think about the issues currently being faced by BS6 diesel engines - there is a separate thread on it. And then also the future of diesel engines with ever tightening emission norms.

Somehow, the GV with its space and mild-hybrid driven efficiency seems like a perfect car vs. Sonet / Seltos Diesel esp. until EVs become more mainstream.

There will be compromises no matter which car you pick - it's only a question of which ones can you live with!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 4th September 2022 at 15:21.
Old 4th September 2022, 18:40   #22
BHPian

Test drive a Nexon EV and then compare it to Sonet . I think it will be much easier after that.
Nexon EV trumps Sonet in all parameters in my opinion.
AGupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 20:21   #23
BHPian

I’d personally prefer a petrol car. With the government having absolute no firm strategy or plan for the diesel vehicles, i’ll not recommend you taking the Sonet Diesel.
There are a lot of issues coming in diesel bs6 w.r.t. the DPF.

Additionally the cost or ownership will be way lesser for a petrol car.

I’ll suggest the MS.

Best of luck for your purchase!
Old 4th September 2022, 22:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post

Owing to the fab experience that we have with these cars, my pick will still be the auto transmission. This engine gearbox combo is unchallenged in its territory.

I am in the market myself for the same segment of cars. So I can understand the enigma that you are going through. Good luck and keep us posted with what you decide.
Have you shortlisted the cars? Such positive ownership reports increases my confidence to go for Kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
I have a similar dilemma, but it is with regards to the Hybrid Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara/ Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder and the Kia Sonet Diesel Automatic.
the hybrid is less powerful but extremely fuel efficient in the cities as it relies on EV mode in slow-moving traffic but the Diesel cars are more fuel efficient on the highway as the hybrids tend to run on either hybrid mode or petrol only mode on highway cruising speeds.
Moreover the price difference between the Hybrid Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara/ Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder and the Kia Sonet Diesel Automatic is another factor which comes into play as well.
The comparison between the mild Hybrid and the diesel makes more sense when you compare prices assuming the mild Hybrid is priced similar to the Diesel Kia Sonet.
I think the mild hybrid top model manual will come into same price category as Sonet Diesel Automatic. I hope MSIL/Toyota reveals the price soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I would suggest to carefully think about the issues currently being faced by BS6 diesel engines - there is a separate thread on it. And then also the future of diesel engines with ever tightening emission norms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamishdhingra View Post
I’d personally prefer a petrol car. With the government having absolute no firm strategy or plan for the diesel vehicles, i’ll not recommend you taking the Sonet Diesel.
There are a lot of issues coming in diesel bs6 w.r.t. the DPF.

Additionally the cost or ownership will be way lesser for a petrol car.

I’ll suggest the MS.

Best of luck for your purchase!
Several owners said that DPF issues are not a big issue with the Kia twins. Will definitely read about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGupta View Post
Test drive a Nexon EV and then compare it to Sonet . I think it will be much easier after that.
Nexon EV trumps Sonet in all parameters in my opinion.
EV out of budget unfortunately
nomad47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 22:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Have you shortlisted the cars? Such positive ownership reports increases my confidence to go for Kia.
I am in NCR. Else the choice would have been straight-up Seltos GTX+ Diesel Auto.

Right now I am tilting towards Seltos HTX IVT primarily because I can't handle afterthoughts for DCT gearbox. It's a shame IVT only comes in one variant in Seltos. Since car has to be driven by my wife, XUV7OO is ruled out. The gigantic waiting period also don't inspire confidence.

Just waiting for GV pricing before making the cut. I will have to lose out on 5 star safety rating irrespective of the choice I end up making.

I honestly insist you to drive diesel auto more and feel the kickdown with that gearbox. It's absolutely fantastic. You don't feel out of power from 0-140kmph at any point.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th September 2022 at 06:46. Reason: Quote tag fixed
headbanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 21:03   #26

Quote:

I have not considered anything from Kia/Hyundai stable primarily thinking of the crash test ratings. However out of curiosity I took a test drive of the Sonet GTX+ Diesel.

Heart wants it, a part of my mind also wants it. Unable to convince myself fully, as the crash test ratings comes to mind. (Am assuming Sonet is a 3 star car based on the Carens rating)

Grand Vitara on the other hand comes with the reliability of Maruti. A 4 star crash rating

Saying this out of experience & love for life. I had an accident very recently where the driver of Range Rover Discovery fell asleep and collided head-on, in BLR city.(dash-cam footage is there)

If i were you, i'd buy a vehicle whose built & steel feels solid (respective budget) to protect myself & my loved ones. Godforbid, nothing of that sort happens but this is the ugly truth. Experience was scary & could have been bad (KiA) or worse (disability), if either of us were faster.

Please prioritize safety. Undervaluing life for few extra features is not worth the money. It is You who has to drive daily. Think wisely. Just a POV, you may want to ponder.

Happy Motoring! Peace.
HulkkOfficial is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 11:41   #27
BHPian

Voted for Sonet diesel. I had driven the car for test drive once. Its engine and gearbox combo is at just another level. It seemed to be the perfect replacement for my Polo GT TSI 1.2. GTX+ variant is loaded with all the goodies too. What stopped me from booking it were two things. Firstly, I already have a diesel in my garage. Secondly, KIA service centres are far far away from some of my future postings.So, booked a i20 n line DCT finally.
If you are looking at pure driving pleasure, Sonet is to go for.
DrivingNirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 21:14   #28
BHPian

Update: Took a test drive of the Seltos HTK+ iMT today. The clutchless operation will definitely be a boon in city traffic, need to only manage the gears. Misses some features from the Sonet top end, but I think it will serve the purpose. My only gripe is the auto dimming iRVM, which I will have to install aftermarket.
Wife is not convinced on the Sonet backseat, so will be going with the Seltos. Thank you all for your suggestions. Now the waiting for delivery begins.
Old 11th September 2022, 07:27   #29
BHPian

Interestingly, the base version of the strong hybrid HyRyder is grazing near your budget cap zone. With your running, it appears to be a real option if running cost is of concern. Your reasoning could provide a useful perspective for all others thinking about strong hybrids.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 10:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Interestingly, the base version of the strong hybrid HyRyder is grazing near your budget cap zone. With your running, it appears to be a real option if running cost is of concern. Your reasoning could provide a useful perspective for all others thinking about strong hybrids.
I am at the end span of my budget with the Seltos, overshooting by some 30-40k already. The Hyryder strong hybrid base will be another 80k on top of that. Also the base strong hybrid misses on 6 airbags, rear wiper and washer (which I feel in Mumbai rains is a must) and some good to have features like auto folding ORVM, TPMS etc. After spending 16L+ for a car, I do not want to feel I am missing up on something. Hence the decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks