Kia Sonet Diesel 57 46.72%
Other (please specify in your post) 10 8.20%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2022, 20:22   #1
BHPian

Mild Hybrid vs Diesel dilemma | Maruti Grand Vitara vs Kia Sonet

Fellow BHPians,

I am in the market for a new car for my daily commute, budget 15L max OTR with BH registration. Commute details: approx 70 km per day, 60% city (not bumper to bumper, but moderately heavy traffic) and 40% highway (not free flowing, but moderate traffic).
I was looking to get a CSUV. I am coming from an 2016 i20 Petrol, which I have sold recently

Cars considered:
1. Tata Nexon (Diesel): Wife did not like the looks of the car. Kid wants a Blue car, and the blue on Nexon is simply not appealing.
2. XUV 300: Outdated by now
3. Grand Vitara / Hyryder: These new launches caught my eye. Liked the GV overall. Interiors would be a compromise compared to my old i20, but gets decent features. I booked the Zeta mild hybrid as it will fit in my budget as per price speculations.

I have not considered anything from Kia/Hyundai stable primarily thinking of the crash test ratings. However out of curiosity I took a test drive of the Sonet GTX+ Diesel. Oh I loved the car. The interiors were good, car loaded with features. And coming from a petrol i20, the diesel torque blew me away.
Heart wants it, a part of my mind also wants it. Unable to convince myself fully, as the crash test ratings comes to mind. (Am assuming Sonet is a 3 star car based on the Carens rating)

So here is the dilemma:
In all probability I will pay a similar amount for the Grand Vitara Zeta and a Sonet GTX+ Diesel. Grand Vitara will probably give 14-15 kmpl for my commute, Sonet will give may be 17-18 kmpl. Being a diesel the fuel cost of Sonet will be low. Sonet has the better interiors and good torque. For sunch a punchy car, I don't understand why there is no rear disc brakes on the Sonet

Grand Vitara on the other hand comes with the reliability of Maruti. A 4 star crash rating minimum, a panaromic sunroof and futureproof against some harebrained decision of the government (I am looking at you 10 years old diesel car ban of NCR).

Heart and a part of the mind says Sonet. Other part says Grand Vitara. Help me decide please.
nomad47 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mild Hybrid vs Diesel dilemma | Maruti Grand Vitara vs Kia Sonet

I would personally go for the Kia Sonet Diesel. Great engine, nicer interiors, more fun to drive. The Grand Vitara is a decent car (going by Vid6639's HyRyder review), but I don't think it matches the fun-to-drive quotient or part quality of Kia yet. Agreed on the safety front & the Grand Vitara might have an advantage out there, but a 3-star car is still better than a 0-star car, some Sonet variants have good safety equipment (ESC, 6 airbags) and there are 50 other factors that decide whether you will walk away from a crash or not.

70 km a day is higher than usual running. In 10 years, your car will have covered 180,000 - 200,000 km, hence you might sell either car (petrol or diesel), regardless of the 10-year ban on diesels.

Out of the box suggestion = consider the Nexon EV if you have charging possibility at home. You will have to stretch your budget for the nicer variants, but it will more than make up in fuel savings. Plus, AT + refinement + instant torque etc. Go for one test-drive, it will change your perspective of EVs.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2022 at 08:59.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad47 View Post
Fellow BHPians,

I am in the market for a new car for my daily commute, budget 15L max OTR with BH registration. Commute details: approx 70 km per day, 60% city (not bumper to bumper, but moderately heavy traffic) and 40% highway (not free flowing, but moderate traffic).
I was looking to get a CSUV. I am coming from an 2016 i20 Petrol, which I have sold recently
Considering you are from Mumbai - you need an automatic, there is a higher possibility of charging setup at your place of residence and no problems of after sales service.

If I was you, I would have gone ahead with Tata Nexon EV Prime. The middle variant may be around 15L post subsidy. The higher variant i.e. Lux does not get subsidy. Even the Max variants does not get any subsidy so makes sense to stick to the XM variant of Prime. Phew, too many variants!

If not EVs then would suggest XUV 3OO. Not sure why you feel it is outdated. It has the most powerful diesel engine in the segment. Features are of 1 segment above. They have refreshed the interiors recently. Only con is AMT. Go for the Manual Diesel top variant (I guess 16L OTR Mumbai) and you wont regret it when you drive it yourself.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 2nd September 2022 at 09:15.
VWAllstar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The difference between cost of petrol and diesel is just a little more than 6 rupees now, basically nothing. Sonet diesel automatic gives around 14-15kmpl in city traffic, and you can expect similar figures from the Grand Vitara, going by XL6 and Brezza numbers. So, there is negligible difference in running costs.

Decide this on the basis of space. The Sonet is a particularly cramped car, especially at the back. It is good enough for a small family, but will not suffice for anything more. If the rear seat will be used frequently, you’ll be better off with the Maruti.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Heart and a part of the mind says Sonet. Other part says Grand Vitara. Help me decide please.
Wait till TDs for the Hyryder are available and then take a call.

In the meanwhile do take a TD of the XUV300 diesel. Am sure you would come back impressed.
DicKy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:06   #6
BHPian

For such use case, I would be tempted to look at a strong hybrid option (distance and traffic conditions described by you). I think the electric motors should be able to provided good torque in heavy traffic at moderate speeds.

Is there a specific reason, why you have kept that out of consideration?
ajayc123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:18   #7
BHPian

Nomad, like I mentioned before to you:
Go with Strong Hybrid Option of HyRyder if it fits your bill. For Sedated and family driving, it looks an excellent proposition.
Otherwise go with Nexon EV (Dark Edition particularly looks like a Mini beast!).

These cars have good future, Diesel on the other hand maybe cheaper but that's when government doesn't start including diesel in it's typical list of things to ban (which is gradually happening in different cities).

Last edited by rishi.roger : 2nd September 2022 at 10:21.
rishi.roger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 12:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fellow BHPians,
So here is the dilemma:
In all probability I will pay a similar amount for the Grand Vitara Zeta and a Sonet GTX+ Diesel. Grand Vitara will probably give 14-15 kmpl for my commute, Sonet will give may be 17-18 kmpl. Being a diesel the fuel cost of Sonet will be low. Sonet has the better interiors and good torque. For sunch a punchy car, I don't understand why there is no rear disc brakes on the Sonet
I've used a Sonet diesel Auto for exactly a year as of yesterday, your running is high enough to justify a diesel and the Sonet in addition to the kit has a huge boot, which is a big plus. The actual fuel efficiency in urban usage including a highway run in between is below 14 kmpl with the AC on always, the performance has a cost. Hybrid Vitara is a good option, if you are willing to put up with an impractical boot.

Sonet is no high speed bruiser though, flight mode is activated at 100+ speeds. My wife says the Punto was much better on the highway, especially in the back seat, I agree. The best part of the drive is that you always have power in reserve, the small car/ big engine combination is fun.
avira_tk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 13:15   #9
BHPian

Diesel makes more financial sense. Even i am in the same boat. I have thought about it a lot and have come to this conclusion.

Mild hybrids are for those who live in places like Delhi, where the rule of law has no face value.

For those, who do frequent highway drives, Diesel is more economical than Hybrids. Hybrids have their advantage only in cities. Once you are on a freeway, you are on Petrol engine.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 19:50   #10
BHPian

Thank you all for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Out of the box suggestion = consider the Nexon EV if you have charging possibility at home. You will have to stretch your budget for the nicer variants, but it will more than make up in fuel savings. Plus, AT + refinement + instant torque etc. Go for one test-drive, it will change your perspective of EVs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
If I was you, I would have gone ahead with Tata Nexon EV Prime. The middle variant may be around 15L post subsidy. The higher variant i.e. Lux does not get subsidy. Even the Max variants does not get any subsidy so makes sense to stick to the XM variant of Prime. Phew, too many variants!

If not EVs then would suggest XUV 3OO. Not sure why you feel it is outdated. It has the most powerful diesel engine in the segment. Features are of 1 segment above. They have refreshed the interiors recently. Only con is AMT. Go for the Manual Diesel top variant (I guess 16L OTR Mumbai) and you wont regret it when you drive it yourself.
I was considering EV, but those start at 15L ex showroom. And subsidy on the cars are over in Maharashtra. So unfortunately EVs are out of budget for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The difference between cost of petrol and diesel is just a little more than 6 rupees now, basically nothing. Sonet diesel automatic gives around 14-15kmpl in city traffic, and you can expect similar figures from the Grand Vitara, going by XL6 and Brezza numbers. So, there is negligible difference in running costs.

Decide this on the basis of space. The Sonet is a particularly cramped car, especially at the back. It is good enough for a small family, but will not suffice for anything more. If the rear seat will be used frequently, you’ll be better off with the Maruti.
My requirement is primarily for 3 persons at the moment. I do agree the Sonet feels cramped and frankly for 15L, feels like a small car. The all black interior of GTX+ does not help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Wait till TDs for the Hyryder are available and then take a call.

In the meanwhile do take a TD of the XUV300 diesel. Am sure you would come back impressed.
I have actually driven XUV300. One of colleague has it. However there are some issues (frequent need to reset the head unit, android auto suddenly stops working, AMT does not shift properly sometimes) for which I have not considered it as of now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
For such use case, I would be tempted to look at a strong hybrid option (distance and traffic conditions described by you). I think the electric motors should be able to provided good torque in heavy traffic at moderate speeds.

Is there a specific reason, why you have kept that out of consideration?
If it launches in my budget I would definitely have consider it. But from the speculations strong hybrid will start north of 15L ex showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Nomad, like I mentioned before to you:
Go with Strong Hybrid Option of HyRyder if it fits your bill. For Sedated and family driving, it looks an excellent proposition.
Otherwise go with Nexon EV (Dark Edition particularly looks like a Mini beast!).

These cars have good future, Diesel on the other hand maybe cheaper but that's when government doesn't start including diesel in it's typical list of things to ban (which is gradually happening in different cities).
Unfortunately the strong hybrid and the EVs will be out of budget for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I've used a Sonet diesel Auto for exactly a year as of yesterday, your running is high enough to justify a diesel and the Sonet in addition to the kit has a huge boot, which is a big plus. The actual fuel efficiency in urban usage including a highway run in between is below 14 kmpl with the AC on always, the performance has a cost. Hybrid Vitara is a good option, if you are willing to put up with an impractical boot.

Sonet is no high speed bruiser though, flight mode is activated at 100+ speeds. My wife says the Punto was much better on the highway, especially in the back seat, I agree. The best part of the drive is that you always have power in reserve, the small car/ big engine combination is fun.
14kmpl on city is not bad on an automatic. I am assuming +1 or +2 for the manual variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Diesel makes more financial sense. Even i am in the same boat. I have thought about it a lot and have come to this conclusion.

Mild hybrids are for those who live in places like Delhi, where the rule of law has no face value.

For those, who do frequent highway drives, Diesel is more economical than Hybrids. Hybrids have their advantage only in cities. Once you are on a freeway, you are on Petrol engine.
That's my concern. In all probability I will be paying similar or a premium for the mild hybrid versions. And will it be worth it if the running cost does not come down? If only Maruti or Toyota revealed their prices this would have been much easier for me.
nomad47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 21:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am driving Sonet D-AT since Sep last year.

Just did the 20k service today. Paid 5900 which includes Wheel alignment and balancing.

Engine and gearbox are match made in heaven. Absolute bliss.

City FE - 13-14 kmpl with 100% AC on. Lots of traffic usually.
Highway FE - 19 Kmpl (based on 7 highway trips I have done on 1 year).
These are tank to tank as MID always shows 2-2.5km more.

Suspension is bit stiff but at 33 PSI quote comfortable. I am 6.1 and never had trouble in driving position of lack of space. Back seat though is strictly for 2 adults and 1 child to sit comfortably. Boot space is quite good.

Kia service is excellent and reliability so far is top notch. I will highly recommend this car any day of the week.

Manual diesel gives better mileage as my friend has Seltos with same engine but comfort and leisure of Automatic transmission is unbeatable.

Hope this helps.
harry10 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Having owned the Sonet D AT for over 2 months now, I can wholeheartedly reccommend this car if anyone is looking for a good crossover in the 10-16 L segment.

I would really suggest you to have a look at the D AT, you’ll be blown away by the shear driving pleasure & the convenience it has too offer. Plus, it has the same engine tune as the Seltos / Creta D AT in a smaller frame!

If the GTX+ feels claustrophobic due to the darker interiors then you can probably have a look at the HTX variant. HTX IMHO is absolute VFM choice. The only important things it misses out on are rear wipers & curtain airbags. The rest are all good-to-have kinda features.

If you absolutely want a fully loaded trim, then do look at the recently launched X-Line; it looks wicked! The waiting too will be a lot lesser.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
ashvek3141 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:28   #13
BHPian

Dear nomad47,

If it was diesel torque that impressed you there will be no chances, you'll like Grand Vitara.

Considering 70km daily running it translates somewhere around 2100~2500kms on monthly basis. This type of running certainly demands diesel.
N4Nikunj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 15:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I am driving Sonet D-AT since Sep last year.

Just did the 20k service today. Paid 5900 which includes Wheel alignment and balancing.

Engine and gearbox are match made in heaven. Absolute bliss.

City FE - 13-14 kmpl with 100% AC on. Lots of traffic usually.
Highway FE - 19 Kmpl (based on 7 highway trips I have done on 1 year).
These are tank to tank as MID always shows 2-2.5km more.

Suspension is bit stiff but at 33 PSI quote comfortable. I am 6.1 and never had trouble in driving position of lack of space. Back seat though is strictly for 2 adults and 1 child to sit comfortably. Boot space is quite good.

Kia service is excellent and reliability so far is top notch. I will highly recommend this car any day of the week.

Manual diesel gives better mileage as my friend has Seltos with same engine but comfort and leisure of Automatic transmission is unbeatable.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Real life ownership experience definitely helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post

If the GTX+ feels claustrophobic due to the darker interiors then you can probably have a look at the HTX variant. HTX IMHO is absolute VFM choice. The only important things it misses out on are rear wipers & curtain airbags. The rest are all good-to-have kinda features.

If you absolutely want a fully loaded trim, then do look at the recently launched X-Line; it looks wicked! The waiting too will be a lot lesser.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Kid wants a blue car, so X line is disqualified. I might go with the GTX trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
Dear nomad47,

If it was diesel torque that impressed you there will be no chances, you'll like Grand Vitara.

Considering 70km daily running it translates somewhere around 2100~2500kms on monthly basis. This type of running certainly demands diesel.
This is one of my concern. The K15C is already underpowered as per reviews for the Brezza. The Grand Vitara will probably give the same feel as my old 1.2L NA i20.
nomad47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 18:47   #15
BHPian

You should drive Sonet GTX+ Diesel AT more. Drive it back on back with any other contenders from other manufacturers and the answer will become more and more clearer. There is no match to that engine and gearbox combo in that price range.

Your drive is predominantly in city which kind of mitigates the lesser safety rating as average speed within city will be lesser. We have Sonet GTX+ Diesel auto in the family and there no qualms.

Having said that, please note that mileage of Sonet diesel is on comparatively lower side. You should expect 12-14 kmpl in moderate traffic with AC on.

An out of the box suggestion may be Nexon EV you may wanna dig around.
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks